Start by marking “Sea Bear: A Journey for Survival” as Want to Read:

Sea Bear: A Journey for Survival

Imagine you are a polar bear.

Your coat is thick. Your teeth are sharp.

Your front paws are paddles, your back paws are rudders, and you can swim for miles.

Your home has always been the sea and the ice.

A sea bear, far north in the Arctic, hunts and naps and raises her young. She moves with the ice, swimming, running, stalking seals, resting. She follows the rhythm of th
Published January 22nd 2019 by Greenwillow Books

To ask other readers questions about Sea Bear, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sea Bear

Start your review of Sea Bear: A Journey for Survival
Mischenko
Jul 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a beautiful children's book that brings attention to the dangers the polar bears are facing from melting ice. It's told from the polar bears point of view. This would be a great book to use with a science unit or just reading for pleasure. Theres a page in the back that goes into a little more detail on the importance of sea ice. Beautiful illustrations. A wonderful book that we all enjoyed.

5*****
Carmen
Jan 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Kids; Parents; Environmentalists; Animal-Lovers
Polar bears are patient beasts, as patient as glaciers. We know how to hope and how to wait. I learned to be patient long ago from my polar bear mother -

to be patient when hunting, to be patient with weather, to be patient in darkness.

This is a gorgeously illustrated book about a female polar bear who is trying to survive. It's not overly maudlin, but covers some stuff about polar bear life and what's happening with global warming right now.

A polar bear can outwait almost anything - seals, stor
Dave Schaafsma
"Polar bears are patient beasts,
As patient as glaciers.
We know how to hope and we know how to wait."

Most of us know the Polar Bear as a kind of symbol for climate change. We know they can't survive if the ice melts away, and it is without question melting. And of course not only Polar Bears are at risk as we quickly warm the planet. Northern ways of life, flora, fauna, everything.

Sea Bear is an informational picture book to begin a conversation with children about what it is that bears do to su
Calista
The story is told through the voice of the sea bear. We see them hunt and swim for days in the ocean. The colors never waiver from glacier blue and that deep sea blue to the gray of the sky and the white of the bear and ice. The color palate creates a deep mood that drags the reader into the story. The sea bear seems like a tough life full of patience.

There is a lovely page at the end about sea ice being a polar bears home and how difficult it is for them right now. There are 26,000 polar bears
Manybooks
Now in Lindsay Moore's Sea Bear: A Journey for Survival, I first and foremost do absolutely love love her descriptively soft but realistic accompanying illustrations (which are delightfully realistic and detailed but also always imbued with enough artistic emotion and imagination to not render them into what I would call visual photographic stagnation). And yes indeed, the text proper of Sea Bear: A Journey for Survival, Lindsay Moore's presented narrative, it to and for me almost perfectly mirr ...more
Caroline
Sea Bear deserves five stars for the watercolor illustrations alone. Author Lindsay Moore has a background in medical and scientific illustration, and I'm not at all surprised. The polar bear and all the scenes are realistic and detailed as Moore depicted the bear from different angles and perspectives. I also am always impressed by watercolor illustration because watercolor is so difficult to control, but if one can do that, the result is breathtaking.

Sea Bear is a short non-fiction picture bo
Abigail
Jan 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Young Polar Bear and/or Nature Lovers
"Polar bears are patient beasts, as patient as glaciers. We know how to hope and how to wait." So begins the poetic narrative of this lovely work of picture-book natural history from author/illustrator Lindsay Moore. Following its ursine narrator as she hunts for seals, and then swims long distances to find new hunting grounds, it highlights the central role of sea ice, in the lives of this majestic species. Although life is becoming more difficult for polar bears, as the sea ice shrinks, the na ...more
Stacy
Mar 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
ʕ•͡ᴥ•ʔ A polar bear waits patiently for spring when the ice breaks up, but after months of hunting, paddling, and resting on ice floes, summer ends and the bear must swim very far to find land. Includes facts about polar bears and the effect of climate change on their environment. Beautiful illustrations (graphite, watercolor, drawing inks, conte crayon, and color pencils.)
Jim Angstadt
Jun 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Lindsay Moore

This graphic story is short and beautiful. It helps one understand the effects that climate change and global warming have on polar bears and their young.

A grandparent and grandchild could have a good time reading this together.
Nhi Nguyễn
This book is the real deal that touches on one of the most dangerous and important issues that we are facing today: global warming. Through the survival story of a polar bear, the book shows how detrimental and destructive the effects of global warming are to sea ice and to the lives of polar bears. This book should be read by everyone!!!
Kate
Poetic text about polar bears and the impact of climate change--without naming climate change as a factor until the author's note at the end. Brief info about other animals the bear encounters is included but no sources are cited for this or the polar bear info. Nonetheless, this fictional tale of a single bear is beautifully illustrated and the first person (bear) account is lyrical. Young children may not know about polar bears facing disappearance of ice, but will still enjoy the quiet story. ...more
Carol  V
Lindsay Moore is not only an author and illustrator but she also studied marine biology in college and earned a masters of science in medical and scientific illustration. Sea Bear is her first picture book. Her goal in this book was to give polar bears of the Arctic a voice and show their relationship with the ocean, other marine animals, and with sea ice and land. Global warming is having a impact on the life of these animals.
Chance Lee
Oct 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-it
Beautifully illustrated, but depressing and stressful story of a polar bear surviving as ice melts.
Luciana
Feb 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A brilliant book about the struggles of a polar bear!

It gives a lot of information about the polar bear--its fur, the way it paddles, its home, but it also tells about the struggles a polar bear is now facing with the shrinking ice caps in the Arctic due to climate change.

The text is easy to read, and where it is positioned on the page, it makes you have to stop and think about what the author is saying. The illustrations are beautiful, capturing its world in nature's colours!

I highly recommend
Jana
With an easy-to-read narrative style, this fascinating picture book takes young readers through seasons with a polar bear as she moves with the sea ice looking for food. The beautiful illustrations and the end note information about climate change and some of the Arctic animals included in the story make this book a good nonfiction resource to inspire further research.
Scottsdale Public Library
With illustrations as beautiful as the prose, this book will capture the hearts of its readers, while enlightening many to the plight of these amazing sea bears. It is an eloquent telling of what life is truly like for polar bears. A must read!
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
This would pair nicely with Lily William's If Polar Bears Disappeared for a fiction/nonfiction pair up ...more
Gina
Mar 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful illustrations, concerning but important story.
Morgan
Apr 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Beautifully rendered, depressing as hell.
Tasha
Mar 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Told in the voice of a polar bear, this picture book follows her journey along the ice. She has learned to be patient: in her hunting and with the weather. Spring comes breaking the ice into smaller pieces. The bear hunts seals and takes naps with a full belly. With summer, the ice melts even more. Now the sea bear must swim to the shore that she can smell in the distance. She swims for days, accompanied by other sea animals as she swims including whales, narwhals, and walruses. She is caught in ...more
Bethany
Feb 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
SEA BEAR teaches about how polar bears live and survive. It teaches how they're patient, what they eat, and that they aren't land bears. When the summer comes and the ice thins, the polar bear must travel elsewhere to live.

The life of a polar bear isn't what I expected. They wander around the arctic rather than living on land. SEA BEAR opens your eyes to how difficult living in an icy environment can be and how strong-willed the polar bears are. It makes me respect them that much more!

The illust
Sandy Brehl
Kate Messner's OVER AND UNDER series (the garden, the pond, the snow) uses a technique similar to this gorgeously illustrated picture book presenting a Sea Bear's eye-view and first person voice. Current (and rapidly changing) environmental conditions are revealed within the context of the behavioral/instinctual patterns of this species. Life in the Arctic is extreme and harsh, yet the animals that dwell there seem perfectly adapted to survive and thrive- unless the ice melt progresses so quickl ...more
Kathy
Mar 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picturebook
Amazingly gorgeous pictures; I love how the watercolor bleeds evoke the shades of ocean water, and the changes in perspective. And I love the poetry of the words: "star-skinned narwhals", or "I paddle past a weary raft of wary walruses" that make me reread them, just to enjoy the perfect phrases. Read this to quiet, thoughtful kids, or let them pore over the pictures. This has a message about the perils the polar bears face, but it contrasts with the beauty. ...more
Tina Hoggatt
Mar 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful piece of nonfiction that reads as a story at the same time as it teaches about the life of a polar bear during the course of the year. The plight of the polar bear in today's world of global warming isn't directly addressed but haunts the narrative. The text is lyrical and the illustrations sublime. ...more
Erin Buhr
May 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-books
Achingly beautiful this shares the journey of a polar bear across seasons and ocean. It's a journey to survive. It's a rich depiction of climate change without ever mentioning those words. It draws you in and makes you hold your breath. Full of worry and hope. So well written and illustrated.  ...more
Emma
Oct 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Quiet and gorgeously illustrated but I think I would have liked it more without the first person voice. Lots of backmatter too!
Earl
Feb 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
A fascinating look into polar bears and their current predicament brought on by climate change. Great illustrations and lots of additional information included in the back matter.
Dawn Rutherford
Apr 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Polar bears break my heart. Their struggle is so poignant and it is hard not to see how humanity is wrecking havoc on so many other species, and eventually, ourselves :(
Danielle
Aug 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Beautiful, told from the bear's perspective. ...more
Raven Black
Sep 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Lovely illustrations and easy accessible story. Afterwards deals with other facts and the environmental issues. Other animals of the area also briefly talked about
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »