Start by marking “Hoax for Hire” as Want to Read:
Hoax for Hire

Hoax for Hire

The McNeil family has always been professional hoaxers—tricking bystanders into believing they’re seeing legendary creatures like Bigfoot and the Loch Ness Monster.

Unlike the rest of his family, twelve-year-old Grayson hates hoaxing and wants nothing to do with the business—even when the McNeils land a huge job and must pull off four sea monster hoaxes in a week.

But when t
Published August 27th 2019 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about Hoax for Hire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hoax for Hire

Start your review of Hoax for Hire
Ms. Yingling
Jun 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
ARC Provided by Young Adult Books Central

Grayson MacNeil would really like to be able to pay attention in school, get his application essay for a private school written, and get a scholarship so he can pursue a career in photography, but his family is holding him back. His father and grandfather are cryptid hunters and hoax masters who travel the globe fabricating Big Foot and sea creature sightings. Grayson and his brother Curtis often have to accompany them, and when the family gets a big cont
Theresa Grissom
Aug 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 3rd, 4th, 5th, middle-grade
Thanks to Edelweiss for an ARC of this book.

Hoax for Hire was a fun, unique and fast paced middle grade book that I think the students will love. I'm excited to share this book with them.
Shirley
I liked the premise of this one. That all the mysterious creatures stories could be attributed to one (sometimes two) family hoaxing over a couple of centuries. Great idea. There are way more creepy creature stories over the world than I had ever heard of or expected!
I wanted to like it more than I did. Sometimes it was a little off in tone and that just really bugged me. It was a little more crass than I expected a middle grade novel to be so that I was a little on guard. I was editing out t
Shirley Freeman
Twelve-year-old Grayson MacNeil desperately wants out of the family hoaxing business. What's the point of risking life and limb to set up elaborate hoaxes (think Big Foot and Loch Ness Monster) when you can't photograph it or talk about it ever. One weekend Dad and Gramps are both out of the country setting up hoaxes requiring Grayson and his older brother to step up to the plate in a big way. Enter one adventure/disaster after another. Underlying the adventure is a story about family and sacrif ...more
Lin Ryals
Feb 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Plot (4 stars): It's a cute story that follows two brothers. The youngest one is twelve and the oldest is old enough to drive, but I'm not sure of actual age. They have to carry on the family business of pulling of hoaxes. Things get complicated and they wind up having to risk everything to pull off the grand slam of hoaxes.

Characters (5 stars): Grayson and Curtis have such well developed personalities. The reader watches as they grow as people and in their brotherly bond throughout their adven
Apr 28, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: j-fiction
3.5 stars. The real action and conflict in this book doesn't start until about halfway in, which is the bad part. The first half is very slow and repetitive with what feels like a lot of unearned, unnecessary angst. But the second half is a rollicking adventure with some genuinely funny dialogue and a lot of heart. If you can get past the slow bits (and if you are incredibly fascinated by cryptids), this is well worth a read. Kids who aspire to be cryptid hunters (or hoaxers) themselves will eat ...more
Krissy Neddo
A little too slow/too much description in beginning. Not sure my elementary readers will stick with story. Picks up in middle and has exciting ending.
Aja
Jul 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am in love with this book. While I thought some of the flashbacks were kind of long, I understood that it was necessary to get a firm grasp of the character's backstories and lives before diving deep into the adventure at hand. One of the few things I wish was included in the book was a glossary in the back with brief descriptions of the wide assortment of cryptids that are mentioned throughout the story. I myself am a cryptid fanatic and loved pulling out my phone to figure out what all the d ...more
Donna
Jul 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fun story about choosing family or your dreams - but do you have to make a choice?
Grayson's family is in the hoax field - but he wants out. He wants to become a photojournalist. He is pretty much a loner at school because he can't tell anyone about what his family does. When he meets Clare, he thinks he has finally made a real friend - but is she. And when things go wrong, he and his brother have to save the family reputation - can he step up and do this one last thing before he calls it quits?

A
Carli
Nov 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️/5. Greyson’s family is in the hoaxing business. They travel the world setting up sightings of legends for eyewitnesses; the only problem is, Greyson wants out. He wants a regular family with regular jobs, which is why he is applying to a prep school for a photography scholarship. When a job goes wrong and his family needs him, Greyson has to decide between his chance at the scholarship and pulling off the hoax of a lifetime. Fans of Carl Hiassen and Gordon Korman will enjoy this one. Re ...more
Anita
Plot has Hatfields and McCoys vibe but set in current times. The feud, in this case, is between two rival families who are professional hoaxers, carrying on the family traditions of staging and prompting EWs (eye witnesses) to record cryptid sightings (Big Foot, Loch Ness Monster, etc).

There were long descriptions at the beginning of the book that might not hook readers right away. The finish was strong.
Recommended for middle grade students who are avid readers.
caitlin
Jun 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Review copy courtesy of Edelweiss.

Definitely buying a copy for my library! Perfect for readers of Rick Riordan, this middle grade adventure book is about a family who simultaneously hunts for legendary monsters while setting up elaborate hoax versions for others to see. It was funny and original!
Melanie
Aug 22, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was okay. Granted, I'm not the target demographic, but this was pretty lackluster, honestly. About the only character I actually liked was the grandfather, and he was only there for like 8 pages. I was hoping for a new favorite MG book, but it sadly won't be this one.
Namrata
Jun 16, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
this book sounds pretty interesting. can't wait to get a copy!
Nicole
Oct 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
cute book for middle grades.
Pam Carlson
Feb 13, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A truly original tale of a family's tradition of keeping legends alive by performing cryptid hoaxes around the world.
PWRL
Jan 09, 2020 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020-new
A
Becky
Really loved the message at the end, the lesson Greyson learned about mystery. Also, so valued the author’s note at story’s end. Her personal story was a great addition to the book.
Levi
Jul 23, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love the idea of this book and it is beautifully written! It is hard to put it down.
Shaunna
Oct 06, 2019 rated it liked it
2.5 stars. Not as punchy-written as her other works, Edge of Extinction and Float. I found the chapters lingered too long and I got lost in asides and reveries.
Because if it’s realistic fiction genre I also found myself balking at the stunts the brothers manage to pull off by themselves - perhaps being so used to the fantasy of the other two worlds of Martin’s books I was more critical of this realistic presentation as I read it.
Ryan 8E
Mar 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: chapter-books
i enjoyed reading the book but it took me a long time to finish it cuz i had no motivation to read for some point
Olivia

• Roll with It
  • The List of Things That Will Not Change
  • Saving Fable
  • Clean Getaway
  • Throwback (Throwback, #1)
  • All the Greys on Greene Street