Start by marking “Beyond Obsession: The Shocking True Story of a Teenage Love Affair Turned Deadly” as Want to Read:

The chilling true story of a beautiful violin prodigy, her devoted boyfriend, and the devastating family secrets that led to a brutal murder.

Joyce Aparo seemed to be the perfect single mother. She doted on her sixteen-year-old daughter, Karin, encouraging her musical ability and lavishing affection on her. But behind closed doors, Joyce was a terror. For thirteen
Published August 9th 2016 by Open Road Media (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Beyond Obsession, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beyond Obsession

Kristina
Abusive, manipulative, horrible mother raises an abusive, manipulative, horrible daughter who eventually forces her pathetic, needy, brainwashed boyfriend into killing said mother. Reading this book, it was hard to find sympathy for anyone at all, least of all, the murder victim, which is bizarre in itself. Early in the book I actually found myself rooting for the daughter and anxiously awaiting the murder of her mother to happen! That's how horrible the mother was in this story, truly evil and, ...more
Linda Strong
Joyce Aparo seemed to be the perfect mom to 16-year-old Karin. She encouraged her daughter to be everything she could. At least that was the public perception. According to Karin, her mother beat her, kept her isolated from other people her age and criticized and demeaned her on a regular basis.

But then Karin met Dennis Coleman and fell in love. But Joyce didn't approve.

On August 5, 1987, Joyce’s body was found under a bridge near the Connecticut–Massachusetts border. She
Fishface
This was not that great. An interesting case spoiled by clumsy writing and too many of the half-crazed letters that passed between the killers. The author clearly is not conversant with psychiatric diagnosis and did not know what he was talking about when he described that critical area of the case -- it made for irritating reading.
Ronnie Cramer
I found myself engrossed in this book, which really painted a vivid picture of teenage love and obsession. But be forewarned, NONE of the people profiled are sympathetic and you'll encounter plenty of sentences like this: 'What’s more, Jill Smith, the woman who had taken care of Karin when she was small and with whom Karin lived for a time during the winter after Joyce’s death, says that one night that winter, on a ride home from Hartford to her house, she talked to Karin about the pills, talked ...more
Agathafrye
Feb 12, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: could-not-finish
Possibly one of the worst books ever written. I was interested in reading it because it is about an insane murder that took place in my hometown with one of my classmates and his girlfriend, who was my younger sister's classmate. It was so bad that I couldn't finish it, even with my interest in understanding what happened. SO BAD.
Betty F Bishop
Jul 22, 2019 rated it did not like it
It was one of those books... I “try” to complete any book I start. And I completed this one. It was too long... too drawn out and repetitive. I would not recommend it to anyone.
Michelle
Sep 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: true-crime
A student recommend this to me during the first week of school. Normally, I make note of a book a student likes, and then I try to get to it later. But the little sweetheart brought it to me, so I decided to read it right away. She raved about how much she liked it, after all, and I like true crime stuff quite a lot, even if I usually just watch Dateline and call it a day.

In any case, I'm glad I did. This was good and well worth the read. In fact, I would go so far as to call it comp
Bill reilly
The first third is really good, but the middle and last parts get a bit bogged down with too much detail with letters from the killer to his girlfriend and too much psycho-babble for my taste. The story is a good one involving a high school girl in Connecticut who after years of mental and physical abuse by her domineering mother convinces her boyfriend to get rid of mom. In the end, I had little sympathy for the girl or her mother, both manipulative monsters. As for true crime; it is just an av ...more
Elisha Whiteley
Dec 19, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Don't Bother

This was a horribly dull and boring story. Reading pages of diaries and love letters that didn't have any impact on the story. Don't waste your time!
Violet Skye
Aug 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A Must Read For Any True Crime Fan

So this was my first book by this author and I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed it, so much so that part way through I actually looked on Amazon to see how many more he had as I wanted to carry on reading his books, it’s a pity the back catalogue is on the small side & like this book where the case it’s about is from the late 1980s, they are all about older cases and seeing as he is now in his 90’s I’d be doubtful for any new releases, which is a shame
renae savicki
Jul 28, 2018 rated it did not like it
Ugh, just ugh!

While fairly well-written, this book was a waste of ink and money.
By page 16 (kindle edition), I had no sympathy for ANYONE in this book.....including the author.
The " victim", is an abusive, nagging wretch who somehow functions well as a Social Worker!
One of her ex-husbands won't stand up to his current wife to take in his 16 year old daughter when her mother is found dead. (And these are the nicer people in the book).
Karin is the daughter who: sleeps
Pam F
Apr 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Interesting book

This book was not your typical murder but one filled with details of a planned murder but the mental hold that can be created. It gives insight into people who were manipulated by extreme circumstances. I felt it was a good read.
Jeff
Nov 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The second most stupid jury of our time, eclipsed only by the O.J jury. I guess it shows that you can get away with murder.

Very interesting book, and easy to read. True Crime buffs should read this.
Kaliki
Feb 05, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: did-not-finish
Did not like book at all. It’s the type of stories I typically read but for whatever reason couldn’t get interested. I stopped reading about halfway through book when I was just skimming & started skipping pages just to be done. Why keep reading something I’m not enjoying.
Marilyn
Apr 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Left me wondering

Very well written and interesting. However there is no answer what the outcome for Karin trial. Have to go on the internet to find out

Jane Thompson
Jul 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
True Crime Story

This is a good true crime book. It tel. Ils he complete story but sometimes goes on top long.I am sure that is the aut
Toni Aucoin
Aug 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OMG!!!!- Craziness everywhere you read in the book about a daughter's quest to have her mother murdered. It's hard to decide what you think of the outcome.
Tracey Cronk
Jan 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was a very story i think she needs to go to jail she plotted to kill her mother shes a liar knew that right from when she met dennis took advantage of him.very interesting read although.
Girl_Power
Aug 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: true-crime, netgalley
First of all, I am not embarrassed to admit, I love true crime! I have long lusted after books like In Cold Blood, Helter Skelter, The Stranger Beside Me, Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil. But sadly, true crime is one of those genres where not all books are worth the read. Some are too trashy, some are not well-researched, some are too well-researched and get bogged down in boring details. So when I find a good true crime book, I want to sing its praises from the rooftop. And--hallelujah! ...more
Ken
Aug 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What really happened

I enjoyed this book immensely. I am from Glastonbury where the murder took place and I remember all the news stories about it the book is well written by mr hammer and gives a good recounting of what happened
Kimberly Bearce
Aug 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Justice served...No!

I would like to have an update as this book was about a case many years ago. I thought the book dragged on in some places but it was mostly a good book.
Rachel
Aug 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A thorough look at a horrifying situation and the violence fallout. Well researched and well explained, Hammer takes us through the depths of this convoluted story and trial.
Polly Forns
Not a good read at all. Very slow. Read the news stories about this murder and trial and save yourself some time.
Kate
Apr 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book
Irene Rice
Dec 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
FABULOUS! Well written. So interesting. I like this author very much....
Katia

• A Death In Canaan
  • Nutcracker: Money, Madness, Murder: A Family Album
  • The Killing of Karen Silkwood: The Story Behind the Kerr-McGee Plutonium Case
  • Murder at McDonald's: The Killers Next Door
  • Revolution's End: The Patty Hearst Kidnapping, Mind Control, and the Secret History of Donald DeFreeze and the SLA
  • Seduced by Madness: The True Story of the Susan Polk Murder Case
  • Confessions of a Wall Street Insider: A Cautionary Tale of Rats, Feds, and Banksters
  • A Private Disgrace: Lizzie Borden by Daylight
  • Lucifer’s Banker: The Untold Story of How I Destroyed Swiss Bank Secrecy
  • Jane Doe January
  • Identity Crisis: The Murder, the Mystery, and the Missing DNA
  • The Phantom Killer: Unlocking the Mystery of the Texarkana Serial Murders: The Story of a Town in Terror
  • A Love To Die For