Start by marking “Last Man Out (Poor Man's Fight, #5)” as Want to Read:
Last Man Out (Poor Man's Fight, #5)

Last Man Out

(Poor Man's Fight #5)

THE DEADLIEST UNPAID INTERN IN THE GALAXY
Some people struggle to get to college. Tanner Malone had to fight through an interstellar war. Far from home, under a cloud of scandal and propaganda, hunted by assassins and haunted by trauma, Tanner is finally enrolled in a top university.
He didn’t plan for an archaeological expedition on the far side of human space. He didn’t
Published April 23rd 2018

Start your review of Last Man Out (Poor Man's Fight, #5)
Luke Chmilenko
May 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Like coming home to a friend

An absolutely fun ride from beginning to end and something that a long time reader had been waiting for. So happy to see Tanner and the group again and will be eagerly waiting for the next book!
David Beck
Jun 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Tanner Malone is out of the Navy after being the most well known heroes/villains of the Debtor's War. He is trying to fulfill his dream of attending college but his fellow students aren't keen on having a war criminal/hero on campus. Tanner decides to participate in a archeology field trip to a distant planet to get away from some difficulties. Of course that just means he gets in even more trouble because this is Tanner. Space pirates are his first order of business and he takes care of that in ...more
Sean Randall
Jul 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
This whole series just carries on brilliantly, and poor tanner has to deal with students this time round. Well. Students, and people trying to blow him up, and crazy aliens. And all the stress of everything that he's already been through, which quite understandably is enough to send him a little paranoid and worried. Kay's writing never loses pace, and I look forward to these whenever I hear they are coming out.
Sontaranpr
Apr 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
From the book itself:
"Can you explain in a single sentence?"
"The ancient aliens who used to own this planet woke up and they're genocidally pissed off at what we've done with the place."

One of the reasons I've liked this series is that the characters and even the novel itself are self aware. By this point *everyone* is aware of Tanner's reputation and his existence as a shit-magnet and plan accordingly. Even the aliens mentioned above who turn up mid-book get their "I'm the Doctor, you've got a
William Howe
Jun 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Better than the previous

This had some real meat. A lot happened, and the pace reflected it. Having everyone be sarcastic about Tanner’s propensity for finding trouble made it all more believable, oddly.

I gave it 5 stars because it also addressed PTSD in a way that SF rarely does. Not in a preachy way, but having a character be honest about the aftermath.

This was damn good writing. I will gladly pre-order this author’s next novel. Money is the sincerity form of flattery.
Gilbert Stack
May 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
The latest novel in the Poor Man’s Fight series finally brings us past the Debtor’s War and into a whole new galaxy of troubles. Tanner Malone has become one of the most hated men in the galaxy thanks to the propaganda machine of the Northstar Corporation which has succeeded in twisting his heroic deeds against them into the actions of a blood thirsty war criminal in the eyes of much of the Union. Fresh out of the military, Tanner is trying to get his life started again by finally heading to ...more
Saugat Roy
Jun 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love the Poor Man's Fight series

When you need to finish a book that for forget that you read it they the night, that to me is a 5+ start book, unfortunately Amazon restricts me to only 5. Also Mr Kay I am so glad that you continue to write this series. I must have read the first book at least 5 times, now I wait for the next installment. Hope you are in a few story for the gunny too .
All in all this is a very good read and the struggles the characters feel settling back into civilian life
Effie Eshel
Sep 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Not enough

Elliot Kay is a gem writer. I love his books. This one start slowly and not focused but once it’s get going it’s hard to let go. I wish that E K will write more and more often. His talent to keep me up at night is great. He is one of the few authors that writes an interesting narrative when his protagonists think, which I usually skip out of boredom, but not here. Tanner Malone is my kind of guy and I look forward to see him more and perhaps content and happy.
Great opening of the next
Craig Dean
Dec 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
As the focus returns to Mr Malone, the series promises a similar return to the strong action that initially grabbed me. However, we are quickly dragged into the world of xeno-archaeology, which could be interesting if the author wasn’t so keen to emphasise how dull it was. Notwithstanding, there’s a clear desire to establish a contrast for the final act, and this is admirably achieved as the mundane escalates to the epic. Still a good story, but it was too forgettable in the starting chapters.
Cory Rose
Apr 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Really good

Took a little while to get reacquainted with the world as it's been sometime since I last read one of these, a quick summary of events at the beginning would have been nice, but once you get going it's really good. There's a lot going on, and a little bit of everything in these books, plenty of action, good characters, witty dialog, a little intrigue, a little romance, a few moments that make you pause for thought, all in all just really good, hope the next one comes out sooner rather
Paul
Jun 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Winner

Last Man Out is a great addition to the Poor Man’s Fight series. Kay does a great job of describing and detailing without bogging the reader down in technical jargon.
Tanner Malone is a wonderful main character and he is surrounded by a deep and detailed supporting cast.
Poor Man’s Fight and Good Intentions are two of the better series out in print. Both series are wonderfully crafted.
Paps
Sep 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: military
As the others books I loved it, it had the same structure, and the action as always was pleasent. Now the ending felt forced to end in such a positive theme, and the foreshadow felt really bland, I though we already left behind all the Corporations conspiracys. Good to see such an old character reapear just when we barely forgot about it, I had my doubts but I am pleasently surprised that I was rigth about it.
Duncan
May 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Thankfully the overt politics has been removed somewhat since I read the third book.
There are maybe too many characters at times to care or follow the story clearly, but overall it's action packed and moves along at a brisk pace.
The aliens aren't bad, but don't really have any real characterisation or weight, they are just there to move the plot along.
Anyway, it's popcorn sci-fi and well worth it for the price for the entertainment I got out of it.
J.   ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
I love this series, but I'd gotten it in my head that this was the series finale. Each book wraps up it's individual story well, but you can tell this isn't the end. Yay and Boo in equal measures. There's something to be said for finishing strong instead of dragging it out. I now eagerly await the next book.

Excellent narration.
Adam
Apr 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
A minor in crisis management

I love this whole series. The characters are well fleshed and interesting. An increasingly complex story and higher stakes in the face of desired normalcy. I guess I was hoping for a bit more resolution at the end this time. Once more left hanging with 'what now?'
Kevin Beck
Jun 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Tanner Malone is out of the service trying to go to college and being protested as a war criminal. After a close call with a team of assassins he is recruited for an archeological expedition to another planet. In typical Malone fashion he first kicks pirate butt followed by serious alien ass kicking.

The mix of humor and intelligence is why I enjoy reading these books so much.
Bill Ellis
Jun 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Badass as usual, seems to be the start of another trilogy for Tanner. I skipped book 4 as it was about Alicia Wong but it seems that something in that one happens that's VERY related to the outcome of this. Either way, fun alien romp, introduces things outside of just the human race and gives a bit more history. Fantastic read and I can't wait for the next one
Darren Kloss
Feb 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book. Tanner is such an entertaining character. I like how the author in the first three novels didn't touch on aliens at all, other than a brief mention that they exist, but in the last two books has built them into the story arc.

I recommend this sci fi series to anyone who wants a fast, exciting read.
laeaurra flamehawk-mitchell
May 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Love the action

5 books in and still going strong. I'm a sucker for some of the well developed military combat action. I like it. I also liked the various alien interactions. Poor Tanner. He sure does have it rough.
Ather
Jan 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What an absolutely fantastic book. It more than made up for the fourth book, which I didn't enjoy overly much. Though to the fourth book's credit, it did set up a few things rather nicely, even though it wasn't the greatest. I look forward to seeing what kind of trouble Tanner gets into next.
Luek
May 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Another success

Elliot Kaye is an excellent writer. Once again Tanner Malone is thrust into conflict. Good character exploration and an excellent new threat to the union. All and another worthy addition to the poor mans war universe.
David Harriss
May 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
New Adventure, New Challenges

Tanner Malone is a trouble magnet. Thankfully, his priority is saving everyone. When a world is burning, you want Tanner solving your problems.
Bonus, pays off some of the Alicia Wong novella.
Shane Melloh
Jun 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic and refreshing series, very character-driven!

I absolutely love this series. The author must have experienced student-loan debt first hand. I can relate to Tanner Malone more than a little bit!
Melinda
Jun 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Funny story, like Idiocracy is funny

I look loved the first 3 books. Sure it is science fiction, but then again the corruption of corporations, student debts and the nature of man is sadly close to reality
Thomas
May 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved it!

This series started as fun light military fiction. Normally sequels get boring, but Elliot just gets better and better at finding his voice. Action packed and consistently amusing. I can’t wait to see where it goes next.
J West
May 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Hard to put down

Another good entry in a very entertaining series.
Tanner is the commensurate mayhem magnet with just the right relationship with Murphy.
Fun with the usual feel good over tones
Lorie
Aug 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Absorbing

I really enjoyed the continued adventures of Tanner Malone. I hope to see more. This book kept me interested and I didn't feel the need to skip ahead. I would read this again. This whole series is a keeper.
Alison Archer
Mar 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow

Awesome series.
Book 4 was from Alicia Wong’s pov covering some of the previous and current story.
Book 5 Tanner has found himself in the middle of another conflict. Trouble just follows him.
I’m very much hoping for a book 6 because the intrigues continue.
Michael Eric Hagen
Jun 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great book!

Always loved this series, and this book is no exception. The characters are relatable and the emotions they feel seem real, though Tanner's penchant for trouble seems over the top, he still suffers in a very real way.
Sergio Monge
Aug 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Solid and thoughtful action

A man who feels his responsibilities and respects life isn’t your average action protagonist. I want to read more about him and all his friends as they make their way through a complex universe.

• Bound By Law (Vigilante, #3)
  • Darkness Beyond  (Light of Terra, #1)
  • Vegas Rules (The Valens Legacy, #7)
  • Desperate Measures (The Valens Legacy #8)
  • Cities in Chains (The System Apocalypse #4)
  • Aftershocks (The Palladium Wars, #1)
  • Superhuman (Superhuman, #1)
  • Tamer: King of Dinosaurs 4
  • Tales of Anyar (Destiny's Crucible, #5)
  • Sacrifices (War Aeternus #2)
  • Southern Storm (Wild Wastes, #3)
  • Today's Spacemage (The Spacemage Chronicle #2)
  • Fostering Faust (Fostering Faust #1)
  • Judgment of the Bold (Privateer Tales, #15)
  • Odysseus Ascendant (Odyssey One #7)
  • Swing Shift
  • UnArcana Stars (Starship's Mage, #6)
  • Valley of Death (Apocalypse Gates Author's Cut, #2)

Poor Man's Fight (5 books)
  • Poor Man's Fight (Poor Man's Fight, #1)
  • Rich Man's War (Poor Man's Fight, #2)
  • Dead Man's Debt (Poor Man's Fight, #3)
  • No Medals for Secrets (Poor Man's Fight, #4)
“You don’t beat an insurgency with guns and intimidation. Not really. You beat insurgencies with jobs and civil rights. You beat them with progress. Naturally, big money types find that galling. They don’t want to do that kind of hard work. They’d rather pay someone to stomp on the insurgents. It doesn’t work. It only keeps the people with guns in business.” 0 likes
“Talk fast. I’m gonna punch you every time I feel like you’re being sarcastic or smug.” Then it was Malone’s turn to sigh. “Fuck.” 0 likes