Start by marking “An Easy Death (Gunnie Rose, #1)” as Want to Read:
An Easy Death (Gunnie Rose, #1)

An Easy Death

(Gunnie Rose #1)

The beloved #1 New York Times bestselling author of the Sookie Stackhouse series, the inspiration for HBO’s True Blood, and the Midnight Crossroad trilogy adapted for NBC’s Midnight, Texas, has written a taut new thriller—the first in the Gunnie Rose series—centered on a young gunslinging mercenary, Lizbeth Rose.

Set in a fractured United States, in the southwes
Published October 2nd 2018 by Saga Press

To ask other readers questions about An Easy Death, please sign up.
John
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Alice Librarians, booksellers, bloggers and others get advance reading copies of some books. Too often, the 1-star reviews are from trolls who rate a book…moreLibrarians, booksellers, bloggers and others get advance reading copies of some books. Too often, the 1-star reviews are from trolls who rate a book before review copies are even available.(less)

Start your review of An Easy Death (Gunnie Rose, #1)
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Soooo I got this from the library but I’m definitely buying this when the HB price goes down!!

There are mixed reviews on this book as there are on any book! My take? I FREAKING LOVED IT! This book is on my favorites list now!!

There are a few shocking things in the book but overall it was awesome!!

Trigger warning for a rape you can skim over

Happy Reading!!

Mel 🖤🐶🐺🐾
Tracett
Jun 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hooray! If, like me, you loved roughly 1/2 of the Sookie books (the beginning 1/2) but found the rest sort of meh (but still kept on reading) you will like An Easy Death. Same for the rest of her series, love some and are annoyed by the others (but still kept on reading). An Easy Death had me putting off chores so I could spend all my time with my new gunslinging girlfriend, Lizbeth. Oh boy, oh boy, I'm surely looking forward to this kick-ass series and its alternate history line.
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
The author of the Sookie Stackhouse novels jumps into the Weird West with this new Gunnie Rose series: Old West + magic + alternative history. It’s actually set in something like the 1930s, but not one we’d recognize. The U.S. has been fractured and chunks of it claimed by other countries, including the Russian royal family taking over California and Oregon. 19 year old Lizbeth Rose is a gunslinger or “gunnie” who takes a job protecting a couple of Russian wizards. They’re searching for a partic ...more
Carrie
Oct 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: edelweiss
An Easy Death by Charlaine Harris is the first book in her new Gunnie Rose series. I had a whole internal debate on what to even classify this series, sort of a historical western fantasy I suppose. Characters in here can wield magic and it does take place in an alternate version of our world in the past in the days of gunslingers.

Lizbeth Rose is a gunslinger is an obviously man’s world making her work that much harder to succeed at her chosen job. When out with her crew making a run
PamG
AN EASY DEATH by Charlaine Harris is the first book in the Gunnie Rose series. This was an exciting start to a new series that spans genres. It is a western, an urban fantasy, an alternate history, a thriller and it contains magic.

Franklin Roosevelt was elected President, but assassinated prior to taking office. The vice-president dies of influenza, the banks crashed followed by a large drought and massive influenza. With the population decreased, the government was not able to protect it
Jane
April 21/19 -- This is the Audible daily deal today for anyone who was thinking about this one!

Oh my stars, yes! Move over, Sookie Stackhouse, and take a seat, Angel Crawford! There's a new snarky southern chick in town and she's jumped right to the top of my supernatural fun list! This is not a deep read, but goodness, did I enjoy it!

description

In An Easy Death we follow Lisbeth "Gunnie" Rose who li
Sh3lly
I might get this from the library and try it. I like alternate histories - plus magic.

But... still not over Sookie. :P
Mel (Epic Reading)
Just as the cover implies, An Easy Death is a cowboy shoot 'em up style book. In the classic comedic style of Charlaine Harris we are introduced to our bad-ass heroine who doesn't like anyone meddling in her affairs and has kept her hand on her gun mos of her life just to survive.

Characters
Something Harris is a master at creating are characters. Her original series 'True Blood' characters are unforgettable and as such so are the ones in An Easy Death. Not only is our lead gal likable, she has many tra
Greg at 2 Book Lovers Reviews
It pains me to write this review, almost as much as it pained me to finish this book. I’ve always enjoyed Charlaine Harris’ writing: the Sookie Stackhouse/True Blood series, Harper Connelly, Midnight, Texas. When I saw that Harris had a brand-new, what I would call, dystopian/fantasy, I was all in.

An Easy Death simply did not meet my expectations. I’ve always loved the way that Harris could make me laugh out loud through a unique dark story. While Lizbeth Rose had a constant stream of sarcasm flowing fr/>An
Suzanne
Jan 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
🤠⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐🤠

What a fun book! I usually don’t like western gunslinger themed books but I absolutely loved this one! Lizbeth (Gunnie) is an awesome character that you easily like to read about rather quickly. In a torn and divided USA, Gunnie ends up being hired by two wizards (which she is not fond of because of something in the past...no spoilers from me!) and it is at this point that the story really picks up. At this point, I could not put this book down and I ended up finishing it in o
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
It's been a hot while since I've had the desire to pick up one of Harris's books after not liking quite a few of them but, I decided to try again after checking out the reviews for this as well as the description and slight switch in blended genres. I'm so glad I did because even with the slow start, this actually turned out to be quite a good read and one that I am glad I took a chance on.
I'm actually really looking forward to book two!
Mogsy (MMOGC)
4.5 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2018/11/15/...

Before An Easy Death, my past experience with Charlaine Harris’s work pretty much began and ended with the first Sookie Stackhouse book, and it was swiftly determined that southern vampires just weren’t for me. Afterward, I wasn’t so sure about trying another one of her series, but then I heard about Gunnie Rose. Maybe it was the weird western vibes or the idea of a modern gunslinging urban fantasy set in a post-collapse alternate world where most of
Emma
I didn't get on with Harris' Sookie Stackhouse series. Never the less when I read about this book before it was published, I was excited. I do love a weird western. And I absolutely loved this. Can't wait for the next one.
Justine

This was pretty good, but I didn't love it like I expected to. I like Charlaine Harris and I like Western themed fantasy, so I thought this would be an easy win for me. I listened to the audiobook, and while the narrator did a good job, I don't think this was the right format for me in this case. Most of my audiobook listening is done in fairly short segments, and I had a hard time keeping the flow of the story listening to it like this.

That said, I did think the
Lorraine Southern
Dec 18, 2018 rated it it was ok
Meh.
I'm a huge Harris fan, have enjoyed all her other series, so I really hate to say this ... but, Gunnie Rose? Meh. That is all. Just, meh :(
The Captain
Apr 15, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abandon-ship
Yeah when the love interest waited for the protagonist to get old enough to have sex it creeps me out. And I couldn't get into the writing. Not for me. Arrrr!
Yodamom
Well that was really a fun read. Ms. Harris has hit the money spot with this series. Strong action packed, characters, magical extras and suspense with only a semi touch of romance. I really enjoyed this and want more asap.
Kyra Leseberg (Roots & Reads)
Charlaine Harris has a way of sucking me in to her books.  It isn't exceptional writing or story lines, in fact I do a lot of eye rolling usually, it's more about cozy entertainment with strong ordinary female protagonists.

When I saw this new release is the beginning of yet another series, I was like, *sigh* "Another series?  Another series?" *clicks "Place Hold" on library account.
I seriously don't know where this compulsive need for yet another Charlaine Harris series on my TBR comes from but I
Marianne
Nov 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An Easy Death is the first book in the Gunnie Rose series by popular American author, Charlaine Harris. It’s not what her mother, Candle wanted, but nineteen-year-old Lizbeth Rose is a gunnie with the Tarken Crew. They have a good reputation for safely transporting newly landless ranchers from Mexico through Texoma to New America. Gunnies are needed because bandit attacks are common.

When such an attack sees Gunnie Rose without her crew, she’s sought out by a pair of grigoris from the Holy Russi
Montzalee Wittmann
May 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
An Easy Death by Charlaine Harris and narrated by Eva Kaminsky is a book that is totally different than what I thought it would be. This has an alternative history and it has magic as part of life. It is a rough life like cowboy times but they have some cars and occasional electricity. This world building is amazing! Truly strange and fascinating! The characters are very intriguing too! Our gal of the story is paid to escort people through the wilderness or from one place to another. It is a dan ...more
Craig
Aug 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An Easy Death is the first volume in a new series written by Charlaine Harris. It's quite a departure from anything she's written before, being set in the past of an alternate America where history unrolled in a fashion quite different than it did in our world. (And magic works there, too.) There's a lot less mystery or romance and a dollop more adventure than one is used to finding in Harris's books. I enjoyed the characters very much, and was legitimately happily surprised by a couple of plot ...more
Terry ~ Huntress of Erudition
While not great literary works of art, Charlaine Harris's books are relentlessly entertaining! I'm feeling pretty invincible right now, after reading about Lizbeth Rose, the grumpy, yet pragmatic gun for hire, in this post apocalyptic adventure story, set in the 1940's. She is resourceful, lives simply - is excited about having electricity and a refrigerator & I think she actually has a softer, caring side that she tries to hide from most people.
This is the first book of a series, I think.
Linda
Oct 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Strong start to a new series.

I’ve read and enjoyed most of Charlaine Harris’s books, and even if I was disappointed in how she ended her Sookie Stackhouse series, I was curious to try this new one. Harris already has demonstrated that she writes in a variety and mix of genres, and this new Gunnie Rose series is quite different from all her others.

The story takes place in an alternate history, in approximately the 1930’s after the US was devastated by assassination, flu, a
Lisa
Nov 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-release, fantasy
Review from Tenacious Reader: http://www.tenaciousreader.com/2018/1...

I found An Easy Death to be very easy to get in to. I immediately enjoyed getting to know Lizbeth. She is fiercely independent , speaks her mind and is quite the shot. Really, there’s not much not to like.

Lizbeth, also known as Gunnie Rose, is part of a crew of “gunnies”, which are are pretty much hired protection, people skilled with handling bandits that might try to prey on their customers as they travel. Because this world they live in is a
Yasmin ✨
An Easy Death is a strange book. Western fantasy, is that even a genre? There are cowboys with guns and Russians with magic. Most of the time it worked, but sometimes it felt weird, like different puzzle pieces not fitting together but still being put next to each other.

It’s fast paced and there’s a lot of action. The story is very entertaining, but I often felt like I was missing something. There’s so much action but not a lot of explaining. The beginning of the book pretty much starts with a
Michelle
Sep 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Can't wait for the next book
☕️Kimberly
In Lizbeth's wonky world the US fell after the assassination of FDR in the 1930s, and was picked off by the UK, Canada, Mexico, and Russia. Lizabeth Rose is a gunnie *gunslinger* who makes her living providing safe passage for folks. She and her security team escort them from Texoma (formerly the states of Texas, Oklahoma, New Mexico, and  Colorado) to Mexico where opportunities and jobs are plentiful. Ironic twist huh?

After a bad run, Lisbeth reluctantly accepts a job from two Russi
Dianne
Oct 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019, read-2018
This book was Meh - \_(ツ)_/ Not good, not bad just okay.

One thing that bothered me a lot is that we are never sure what era this book was written in - we think we know that it is at the early part of the 20th century but the language that Lizbeth uses is more 21 Century. But since this is Charlaine's world we are never sure.

The killing both with guns and with magic go on and on, stick in some trekking through the desert not knowing if you are going to live, add in a secre
Brittany
I didn't love it, but I didn't hate it.

#1 Request to make this book better. Please give us a map to more easily reference alternate locations, it adds a LOT to frame of reference for made up boundary lines other than the current country.

I have a hard time reading books written in mostly slang speak and so right away I had a hard time getting into the flow of the book.

Is an interesting concept? Yes, completely original, I don't think so, but it's not a saturate
Barb (Boxermommyreads)
Oct 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
Lizbeth Rose is a gunnie, which means individuals hire her for assistance based on the fact that she is an excellent markswoman and is not afraid to kill to survive. Early on in the book, we see Lizbeth's team fall prey to an ambush. She survives but this means that she must find another way to make a living. Despite hating the Russian wizards and wanting noting to do with the part of the United States they have taken over, she agrees to a job helping two of them, Eli and Paulina. However, unbek ...more

• Storm Cursed (Mercy Thompson, #11)
  • Wild Country (The World of the Others, #2; The Others, #7)
  • Watcher in the Woods (Rockton, #4)
  • Circle of the Moon (Soulwood, #4)
  • Kill the Queen (Crown of Shards, #1)
  • Sweep of the Blade (Innkeeper Chronicles, #4)
  • Sapphire Flames (Hidden Legacy, #4)
  • Diamond Fire (Hidden Legacy, #3.5)
  • Look Alive Twenty-Five (Stephanie Plum, #25)
  • The Unkindest Tide (October Daye, #13)
  • That Ain’t Witchcraft (InCryptid, #8)
  • Storm of Locusts (The Sixth World, #2)
  • Of Blood and Bone (Chronicles of The One, #2)
  • Summoned to Thirteenth Grave (Charley Davidson, #13)
  • Connections in Death (In Death, #48)
  • Trail of Lightning (The Sixth World, #1)
  • Protect the Prince (Crown of Shards, #2)
  • Time's Convert
Charlaine Harris has been a published novelist for over thirty-five years. A native of the Mississippi Delta, she grew up in the middle of a cotton field. Charlaine lives in Texas now, and all of her children and grandchildren are within easy driving distance.

Though her early output consisted largely of ghost stories, by the time she hit college (Rhodes, in Memphis) Charlaine was writi

Gunnie Rose (2 books)
  • A Longer Fall (Gunnie Rose, #2)
“It was my own grief. I could feel it fading away into something I simply accepted, because that’s the way I am. I knew I’d feel better. It was living until then that was hard.” 0 likes