Start by marking “Resurrection High” as Want to Read:
Resurrection High

Resurrection High

Resurrection High is like Carrie, but without the telekinetic powers; like Donnie Darko, without the time travel; like The Karate Kid, but our protagonist is training in poetry. A subversive, spooky tale set in the days when America Online, The Smashing Pumpkins, and The X-Files reigned supreme.

At Lestershire High, Eric Verlaine is seen as a freak, even by alt 90s standar
Published June 19th 2018 by Cemetery Gates Medi

To ask other readers questions about Resurrection High, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Resurrection High

Start your review of Resurrection High
Rachel (TheShadesofOrange)
Jul 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: horror
3.0 Stars
Entertaining and darkly funny, this was more of a black comedy than a traditional horror novel. As a lighter piece of fiction, Resurrection High was a very readable story that I flew through in just a few sittings.

This was also a fantastic addition of the growing subgenre of nostalgic horror. Set in the 1990s, this story was packed with references to iconic music, movies, tv shows and toys from the decade. There were so many nods to 1990s media that I had completely forgotten about.

T
Rebecca McNutt
Any fan of 80's-90's nostalgia and dark comedy will definitely want to read this book. It reminded me of so many films and TV shows - Heathers (1988), Eerie Indiana, Donnie Darko, Degrassi the Next Generation, The Secret World of Alex Mack, Goosebumps, and it's the perfect mix of horror and high school drama. Eric is the kind of guy any outsider who remembers being alone in school would want as a companion. Sure, he might be a bit obsessed with death, but within reason - his best friend is decea ...more
Bethany
Aug 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Thank you to the author for sending me a copy in exchange for my review!

I enjoyed this lighthearted little tale. I agree with others that it is more of a dark comedy than horror, but I enjoyed it all the same. The 90's references were well placed and it felt like a macabre 'Ready Player One' for 90's babies.
The book perfectly captured both the feelings of being a teen and the grief when losing someone too soon. I appreciate the protagonist's perspective, and thought it was an interesting way t
The Scary Reviews
Jul 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2018
I don't read many coming of age books, but this was a great one. My review is posted here ---> https://wp.me/p5t5Tf-1Es ...more
Audra (ouija.doodle.reads)
Nov 23, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: horror
Despite unending trips to the cemetery, this tale of a high-school misfit doesn't dig much deeper than the surface.

I think the main issue of the story was that the point of the narrative was unclear. The beginning sets up this intriguing and slightly morbid mystery—will Eric dig up his best friend's coffin to see what's hidden inside? But then the story goes off in so many different directions, I lost the thread of what was important, of what the story was supposed to be about.

Is it about Eric
Alex | | findingmontauk1
Jan 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: owned
I think Resurrection High would make for a pretty dope episode of Are You Afraid of The Dark? or something similar. It seemed to have so much going on to really focus on just one storyline, and that is why I think it would have been awesome as a TV episode and maybe less as the book. I did still enjoy it though - I just had high hopes of enjoying it more!

I had a hard time figuring out what I was supposed to focus on: the friend who died that was supposed to be exhumed, the ghosts from the past,
GracieKat
Jan 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really wasn't sure if I would like this book but the synopsis intrigued me and, being a nineties kid, thought it might be amusing at least. It also had a cute cover. It was a heart-breaking, rage-inducing and all-around a pretty damn good coming-of-age story about losing a very close friend. I actually found myself getting into it much more than I thought I would. Fortunately my teenage years weren't as fraught with terrible as Eric's (sort of) but a lot of the time little Emo Gracie could emp ...more
Melody
Jun 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
I received an ARC of this title. This is my opinion of the book- no spoilers!

First off, any kid of the 1990s will instantly recognize the callbacks in this book; from pogs to JNCOs, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles to Nirvana, it's all in there. While some callbacks are incredibly nostalgic and work well, others can be heavy-handed and clunky, reminding you far too often on the page of the time you're in.

Though it's a loving ode to the 90s, Resurrection High is ultimately a tale of a teenage kid fin
Brittany (brittreads)
Resurrection High is about an outcast named Eric, who recently lost his best friend, and his only living friend left ditching him for a girl. Eric is constantly tormented inside school and outside, by both bullies and his alcoholic stepfather. Eric plans to dig up his friend, to have one last hoorah with him, and see what his friend kept locked in a safe, which he was buried with.
I don’t want to say too much else because it’s a short book. It was fun, and I loved that it was set in the 90s. Lot
Kasha In Bookland
May 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Pitched as Horror meets the 90s I was expecting a more....horror book.

It felt more like a growing up story of a 16 year old going through a rough time.

I really loved the investigation part of the story and the cemetery visits. However I was not a huge fan on how bullying was portrayed in the book and the lack of interest of the adults.

Disclaimer alert for bullying and parental abuse.
Eugene Cundiff
May 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Entertaining and Authentic

While the 90s nostalgia can come across as a bit gratuitous, Eric's struggles feel no less raw or real for it. Worth a read, especially for those of us who were on the outside looking in as teens.
Michelle
Dec 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5, rounding up to 4. Pretty cool premise and story, but the 90's references kind of killed me. Felt like an ad for everything from that era, and it got a little annoying. The story itself was pretty awesome, though I wish we had gotten a bit more details/info, and the ending felt a little rushed.
Alicia
Sara Hawkins
rated it did not like it
May 03, 2020
Robert Evans
Mar 05, 2019
Pete
Jul 24, 2018
Joseph Sullivan
Oct 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Judy VanNewkirk

• Night Shoot
  • Stirring the Sheets
  • Cirque Berserk
  • Ghost Summer: Stories
  • Stealing Home (The Sweet Magnolias #1)
  • Evergreen Springs (Haven Point, #3)
  • Mafia Marriage
  • Cattywampus: Part of the Knucklebucket Thang Series
  • Flawless (New York Confidential, #1)
  • Water Baby
  • Forever My Duke (Unlikely Duchesses, #2)
  • Those Below the Tree House
  • The Roo
  • His Secret Mistress (A Logical Man's Guide to Dangerous Women, #1)
  • Out Are the Lights