Start by marking “The Thinking Machine” as Want to Read:
The Thinking Machine

The Thinking Machine

(The Synthetic Albatross #1)

A Man and a Monster with the Same Name. In a city that spans most of the eastern sea-board, there is a creature that used to be a man. A stranger, from the shrinking wilds of the north, is called by a spirit to enter the city and destroy the abomination. The thing that shares his name. Zed.
Paperback, First, 140 pages
Published April 23rd 2018 by Adventure Worlds Press

To ask other readers questions about The Thinking Machine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Thinking Machine

Start your review of The Thinking Machine
Michael Drakich
Jun 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An intriguing novella set in a dystopian setting with world building reminiscent of stuff written by Philip K Dick. Although this book ends with a high action scene, it is the journey through this world that makes the ending almost anti-climatic. The operative word is 'almost'. The antagonist, who is unknown until the final encounter (an excellent build up of anticipation to find out), is a creature of unique design that makes the reader wonder how the protagonist has a chance at all. This highl ...more
Christian Laforet
Jun 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
There are three things I love in this world. 1) Cyberpunk stories. 2) Chinese food. And 3) kittens with short legs. And guess what, The Thinking Machine has two of those things (I’ll leave it to you to find out which two).

The Thinking Machine follows a guy named Zed as he leaves the comfort of his country lifestyle to head into the city in search of…another guy named Zed. Sounds weird, I know, but hang in there, the story is worth it.

This thing is a cyberpunk thrill ride (fans of Blade Runner de
Laurie
May 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
I'll be honest, I didn't expect much from this book. I picked it up at a mini comic con where I live and two authors were sharing a table selling their stuff. I bought this one and another, they autographed both and I was on my way. Well, this was a small book, but it was excellent. I can't wait to read the next one. I loved the characters, the writing, and I can't wait to meet Zed when he's at home. Well worth the time and money.
Deborah James Van Dongen
Jan 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. It read very quickly and kept me engaged throughout. The characters were strong and interesting. It left me wanting more. Can’t wait for the next one!
Allison
Feb 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Though not the genre I usually read, I really enjoyed this book. I found some of the characters quirky and as I progressed in the story line, I grew fonder of the main character, Zed. I'm looking forward to reading the next book, The Neon Heart.
Adam Hannon
Mar 02, 2019 rated it it was ok
A lot of good ideas, unfortunately it read like a video game script.
Alex Fayborne
Feb 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Though not the kind of novel I typically read, I really liked this one and I grew quite fond of the main character the more I read. I can't wait to read Neon Heart.
Janine
Apr 09, 2020
Edele Winnie
Nov 09, 2018
Ben Dongen
Apr 23, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Brooke Nicodemo
Apr 26, 2020
Michelle
Jun 16, 2020

• One
  • The Last Namsara (Iskari, #1)
  • Velvet
  • Centipede Vol. 1: Game Over
  • Geninne's Art: Birds in Watercolor, Collage, and Ink: A field guide to art techniques and observing in the wild
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
  • Kids Are Weird: And Other Observations from Parenthood
  • Fowl Language: Welcome to Parenting
  • A Work in Progress
  • Such a Lovely Little War: Saigon 1961-63
  • Descender, Vol. 3: Singularities
  • Some Assembly Required: The Not-So-Secret Life of a Transgender Teen
  • Descender, Vol. 2: Machine Moon
  • Spill Zone (Spill Zone, #1)
  • Democracy
  • Advanced Death Saves: More Games, More Rules, More Deaths
  • SKIP
  • Nowhere to Turn (Hidden Identity, #2)
Ben Van Dongen was born in Windsor Ontario. He likes to think that if he tried harder he could have been an Astronaut, but he is happier writing science fiction anyway. He wrote the novellas The Thinking Machine and The Neon Heart, co-authored the books No Light Tomorrow and All These Crooked Streets, and is one half of the founding team of Adventure Worlds Press. You can read more crazy notions o ...more

The Synthetic Albatross (3 books)
  • The Neon Heart