Start by marking “Nếu... thì?” as Want to Read:
Nếu... thì?

Nếu... thì?

4.17  ·  Rating details ·  99,503 ratings  ·  7,042 reviews
"Nếu... thì.." (What if?) là tác phẩm nổi tiếng, bán chạy nhất thế giới trong hai năm vừa qua của Randall Munroe, tác giả trang web XKCD. Nội dung của "Nếu thì..." đăng tải trên XKCD đã khiến tác giả của nó được đặt hẳn tên cho một thiên thạch , 4942 Munro, gần bằng quả thiên thạch khiến khủng long bị tuyệt chủng. Cuốn sách thông minh và quái chiêu này, lần đầu ra mắt bản ...more
Published April 2018 by NXB Lao Động, Nhã Nam (first published September 2nd 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Nếu... thì?, please sign up.
Edward Taylor My 12 year old would get a kick out of some of it but the science is beyond many adults I know, so caveat emptor! Overall if they can follow the blog…moreMy 12 year old would get a kick out of some of it but the science is beyond many adults I know, so caveat emptor! Overall if they can follow the blog or even just enjoy some silly absurdities, than it is not too bad. I recommend trying the blog first and going from there.(less)

·  99,503 ratings  ·  7,042 reviews

Steve Alexander
Sep 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: real-books
This is one of the most entertaining books I have ever read. And I have read over 10 books.
Patrick
Nov 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've been a reader of XKCD for ages. Not just a reader, a fan. A big goey, geeky fan.

So much of a fan that when I heard about this book, I went so far as to abuse my power as an author to get an Advance Reading Copy of the book, so that I could enjoy its deliciousness sooner. And... y'know... taunt people on the internet.

And it worked. I got an early copy. And I treasured it. I petted it. It was precious to me. Precious.

Then life got in the way. Conventions. Promotion for my own book launch.
Manny
Sep 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Geeks
Recommended to Manny by: notgettingenough
Q: What would happen if every geek in the world received a copy of What If tomorrow morning?

A: Actually, less than you'd think.

First, a little background about this book. If you're a geek, it's unputdownable, a word that, if you think carefully, means "cannot be put down". (You may not be aware of this fact, since the word is nearly always misused). So the geek who receives it is going to carry on reading through breakfast, through lunch, while he's supposed to be working, and on through dinner,
Miranda Reads
Oct 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
description

Trying to thoroughly answer a stupid question can take you to some pretty interesting places.
Randall Munroe, ex-NASA employee and author of the wildly popular webcomic XKCD, decides to look at several, undoubtedly, absurd questions and find scientific answers to them.

Nothing is too absurd for him
- whether it be the logistics of finding your soulmate to what happens if our moon suddenly disappears - Munroe answers it all.
But I’ve never seen the Icarus story as a lesson about the limitations
Felicia
Dec 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
AMAZING BOOK! I love love love it and frankly, there's no better book to read on the toilet. Off the toilet too, but I learned so much and the writing is so engaging and entertaining and just MARVELOUS. Of course in the style of xkcd, this and Atlas Obscura would be my go-to book gifts this year.
Valerie
My evil plan of reading this book in small doses aloud to my students during math class has worked. Several of them have bought their own copies, and they are, I believe, planning to use their math skills for good, and not for world domination.
Diane
Aug 29, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book opens with the best disclaimer I have ever seen:

"Do not try any of this at home. The author of this book is an Internet cartoonist, not a health or safety expert. He likes it when things catch fire or explode, which means he does not have your best interests in mind. The publisher and the author disclaim responsibility for any adverse effects resulting, directly or indirectly, from information contained in this book."

That disclaimer really sets the tone for this fun book about science:
Paul Bryant
Jan 15, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science
Mr Munroe includes some “weird and worrying” questions from his website’s inbox which he presents without attempting to answer – one favourite was:

If you saved a whole life’s worth of kissing and used all that suction power on one single kiss, how much suction force would that single kiss have?

I guess the answer might be “what pharmaceutical products have you ingested during the last four hours?” or “May I speak to your parents?”

Another person named Jon Merrill asked

How fast would a human have t
Nandakishore Varma
An apple fell on Newton's head.

"Why didn't this fall up instead of down?" Asked the scientist...

...And lo, the theory of gravitation was born.

- Well, not really. The story is apocryphal in all probability, like George Washington and the cherry tree. But it does illustrate an important fact.

Scientific enquiry starts with seemingly absurd questions.

-----------------------------------

Randall Munroe is a physics graduate who briefly worked for NASA: but his claim to fame is as the creator of the we
Lindsey Rey
Jul 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015, funny, nonfiction
I highly recommend taking the audiobook route for this one unless you absolutely love very technical science. Wil Wheaton's narration was excellent and he delivered Munroe's humor perfectly! I loved this so much I bought a hard copy for my coffee table.
Riku Sayuj
Nov 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Change.Org Petition: Despicable Munroe

The International Astronomical Union recently named an asteroid after Randall Munroe; asteroid 4942 Munroe is big enough to cause a mass extinction if it ever hits Earth.

Not that he needs an asteroid to do that. He has his minions devising millions of ways to do it, on a subversive site they call xkcd.com. This book is a set of leaked manuals.

It should be clear to all how dangerous this guy (and his site) really is. But all Government agencies fail to heed
Philip
Sep 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
xkcd hell - Tetris

Front Door

Youtube Comments

One of the things that's nice about goodreads is that it lets you embed pictures. ...And one of the nice things about xkcd is that it has lots of pictures licensed under CC Attribution/Non-Commerical - meaning I can post as many as I want to this review.

I'm pretty sure that if you're here, you already know about xkcd. But hey, why the heck not? Right? XKCD is why this Randall Munroe character is famous.

The book comes from his "what if" blog, which is also very good.

I took the book into work with
منال الحسيني
كتاب رائع يعرض عدد كبير من المعلومات العلمية بصورة مشوقة وجديدة من خلال أسئلة افتراضية ربما راودت اذهاننا من قبل
لو أرتفعنا في الفضاء بمقدار قدم واحد كل ثانية.. كيف سنموت من البرودة أم الاختناق؟"
رغم ذلك هناك عدد كبير من الأسئلة التي تبدو سخيفة أو بلا معنى
لو أجتمع كل البشر في مكن واحد قريبين من بعضهم بقدر الأمكان.. ما الذي سيحدث لو قفزوا دفعة واحدة؟
Ted
May 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Ted by: Brendon Schrodinger
What if … every Goodreads review had to be written in a randomly determined time? What per cent of submitted reviews would end with a completed sentence?

Well, this amounts to the question of, what per cent of reviewers would simply stop typing when the time ran out, instead of finishing up what they were saying and ignoring the stupid rule.

But there could be a correlation (or inverse correlation?) between how reviewers reacted to such a rule, and the day job they had – or the “purity” of the fie
Brendon Schrodinger
Every nerd knows Randall Munroe from his wildly humourous and insightful xkcd.com comics right?

You don't? What the hell are you doing here listening to me blab on? xkcd.com

For all those people still here, and who obviously know Randall's work, let's just bask in the mixture of intelligence, cleverness, hilarity and properly labelled axes. All the nerd girls want to sleep with him and all nerd boys want to sleep with him too...be him.

So it seems like he has been running a column on his website w
Hamad
Mar 22, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-reads, e-books
This review and other non-spoilery reviews can be found @The Book Prescription

What if is a non-fiction book that -as the name implies- gives answer to some absurd hypothetical questions. The book was fun to read until at some points it wasn’t. The author is apparently a genius, I don’t know how can he think in that way. And the dedication and time that he puts to answer these questions is amazing.

I imagine the author as that student who used to sit at the front seat and answer all the questions
Jamie
I don't think I've ever laughed this much and hard from a science or non-fiction book-wait, I take that back, I haven't laughed this much from a book period. I mean periodic tables and radioactive decay doesn't normally warrant laughter-well at least when I read about it.

The questions being presented is stuff that would have never crossed my mind, but the instant I read them I was like -oh wow-what the funk if that really happened?

I loved the illustrations throughout- and how the scientific in
Lori
Oct 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a lot of fun from a guy who likes when things catch fire.

A lot of the questions reminded me of the ones Neil Gaiman fielded after Geoff Coffey's tweet that he would donate $1 to @EFF for every person who asks @neilhimself how they can watch American Gods in their country.
Ashley
This book was equal parts hilarious and utter nightmare fuel. I have never had such an emotionally confusing reading experience. One second, snorting my drink up my nose from laughter, the next trying to shove down the sudden and complete terror I'm experiencing because I've been forced to imagine trying to survive in six atmospheres of pressure brought upon by an expanding Earth, or collapsing into a pile of human goo because I've lost my DNA, and doing so has reminded me of my mortality and oh ...more
Jim
Nov 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Update: He published a lot more that aren't in this book. Read them for free here:

So... I love xkcd & some of these questions were really interesting - funny on the face with some really interesting science & math backing up the answer. For instance, the bullet being hit by lightning got into quite a few interesting facts about lightning. Who wouldn't want to know if a machine gun jet pack would work including discussions on caliber, barrel burn out, &
Darwin8u
Dec 19, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Q. What if _____?
A. Nearly Everyone Would Die!
- Randall Munroe, What If?

description

There are certain things on this planet that you seemed to do fine without, but as soon as you discover, you can't now do without. Diet Dr. Pepper, David Foster Wallace, dark chocolate covered cherries all fit into this category. So, too, does Randall Munroe. He seems to occupy a space near, but not on, that vacated by Gary Larson when the great Gary Larson stopped drawing the Far Side (January 1, 1995). If you are unimpress
David
Mar 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to David by: Brendon Schrodinger
Shelves: humor, science
Randall Munroe is a dangerous guy. Seriously dangerous. He is the author of the online comic strip xkcd. It's about math, science, hacking, logic, and a host of wonderfully nerdy subjects. But in this book, Munroe answers a stack of absurd hypothetical questions. Some of the questions are really crazy, like "What would happen if everyone on Earth stood as close to each other as they could and jumped, everyone landing on the ground at the same instant?" Munroe explains that the "thud" as everyone ...more
Junta
What If?, or Serendipity; or the Literary/Pop Culture Quotes Quiz

Late at night, about a week ago, I went through the Top Quotes pages of Goodreads. A hundred pages, each with thirty quotes: that's 3000 quotes. I have problems. I was searching for quotes that included (on the most part, primarily consisted of) a line in the form of 'If A, B' (let's call it an If quote, or IQ) - I'd compiled them because I had a certain idea for a review where I would use them.

What's the catch? The idea was for
Becky
My boyfriend has never heard of XKCD. So I'm newly single, and looking for some fun....

...book recommendations. I sure know how to live it up.

OK, OK... Part of that is untrue - I didn't dump my boyfriend for not knowing what XKCD is. He's put up with some crazy kinds of shit from me, I GUESS I can accept this from him. *sigh* I couldn't resist reading part of this out loud to him, though. But to my dismay, I don't think that he fully appreciated the genius of it, but well... some people are co
Melki
Sep 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Please, PLEASE do not try this at home.

That warning has probably never been more applicable, as attempting to reenact many of the scenarios from this book will result in our atmosphere turning into plasma and leading to the instant ignition of the Earth's surface.

Yeah. Just what I need...one more thing to worry about.

Seriously. Please do not try making an actual Periodic Wall of Elements. A lot of those elements don't play well with others.

This book is massively entertaining and highly recomme
Lois Bujold
Dec 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: A gift for your inner geek. Or your outer geek.
Recommended to Lois by: saw it mentioned on the webcomic site

I grinned all the way through this, except when I guffawed.

If you know the webcomic xkcd, this needs no introduction; if you don't, 1) go find it at once (here, let me help you: http://www.xkcd.com/ ) and 2) (handwaves wildly) I don't know how to explain it. It's the only webcomic I have bookmarked. No, I don't get all the math and computer jokes either, but they do sometimes give me a glimpse into a wider world.

Highly recommended.

Ta, L.
Mara
Oct 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: XKCD fans and lovers of all things hypothetical
Update: This is my first experience in reading a book in paper-copy and having it actually change how much I enjoyed it. A friend who knows me all too well gave me the hardcover version of What If?: Serious Scientific Answers to Absurd Hypothetical Questions as a birthday present- and reading it as an ebook just didn't do it justice. The laugh-factor jumped by several orders of magnitude! So here's to Randal Munroe, XKCD and keeping physical books alive!

The brain behind xkcd , Randall Mun
Manuel Antão
Oct 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
If you're into stuff like this, you can read the full review.

Rampant Geekery: "What If - Serious Scientific Answers to Absurd Hypothetical Questions" by Randall Munroe

I wasn’t familiar with the XKCD's web comic website. Now, I know better… I'm already a fan.

This book will be better appreciated if one has some kind of scientific background and a somewhat superficial understanding of Physics (at least a basic knowledge). A cursory reading of the book is not enough. If one does fulfill this two pre
Kaora
Jun 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was hilarious. I warn you not to read it when in the company of others because you will laugh out loud and subsequent explaining will be met with blank looks.

Have you ever wondered what would happen if you wore Technetium as a hat or if the worlds population jumped at the same time in one location would the earth move?

If so this book is for you. Randall Munroe is one smart dude that answers all your weird and wacky questions with real math and drawings of stick figures.

It is as awesome
BAM The Bibliomaniac
These hypothetical situations are ingenious and unique! My favorite has to be "what would happen if I built the periodic table out of bricks of the actual elements?" DONT DO IT!!!
This author was a NASA physicist who quit to draw an internet comic strip, and he's brilliant. I found myself repeatedly asking, "how does he know this?" The questions were a riot! I laughed so much through this book. He made science and math fun.

2017 Lenten nonfiction Buddy Reading Challenge book #40
This is my last Cha

• SCIENCE: Ruining Everything Since 1543
  • Science Ink: Tattoos of the Science Obsessed
  • The Amazing Story of Quantum Mechanics: A Math-Free Exploration of the Science that Made Our World
  • Professor Stewart's Cabinet of Mathematical Curiosities
  • Death from the Skies!: These Are the Ways the World Will End...
  • Molecules: The Elements and the Architecture of Everything
  • Things to Make and Do in the Fourth Dimension
  • The Human Age: The World Shaped By Us
  • Antarctica: An Intimate Portrait of the World's Most Mysterious Continent
  • The Happiest Days of Our Lives
  • Miss Leavitt's Stars: The Untold Story of the Woman Who Discovered How to Measure the Universe
Randall Munroe, a former NASA roboticist, is the creator of the webcomic xkcd and the author of xkcd: volume 0. The International Astronomical Union recently named an asteroid after him; asteroid 4942 Munroe is big enough to cause a mass extinction if it ever hits a planet like Earth. He lives in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
“But I’ve never seen the Icarus story as a lesson about the limitations of humans. I see it as a lesson about the limitations of wax as an adhesive.” 154 likes
“There’s no material safety data sheet for astatine. If there were, it would just be the word “NO” scrawled over and over in charred blood.” 63 likes