Start by marking “Unmarriageable” as Want to Read:
Unmarriageable

Unmarriageable

3.78  ·  Rating details ·  8,199 ratings  ·  1,923 reviews
In this one-of-a-kind retelling of Pride and Prejudice set in modern-day Pakistan, Alys Binat has sworn never to marry—until an encounter with one Mr. Darsee at a wedding makes her reconsider.

A scandal and vicious rumor concerning the Binat family have destroyed their fortune and prospects for desirable marriages, but Alys, the second and most practical of the five Binat
Published January 22nd 2019 by Ballantine Books (first published January 15th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about Unmarriageable, please sign up.
Cavak Closer to Pride and Prejudice in tone and presentation. Straighter example and puts a stronger focus on the setting's cultural complexities. Definitiv…moreCloser to Pride and Prejudice in tone and presentation. Straighter example and puts a stronger focus on the setting's cultural complexities. Definitively references the original source more often than the film.

No lovely Bollywood-like song or dance sequences. Ayesha at Last carries a similar creative premise as Unmarriageable that somewhat captures Bride and Prejudice's campy and lighthearted tone.(less)

·  8,199 ratings  ·  1,923 reviews

Start your review of Unmarriageable
Meredith
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley

I absolutely ADORED this book!

“It was a truth, universally acknowledged, … that people enter our lives in order to recommend reads.”

Unmarriageable is a charming retelling of Pride and Prejudice that takes place in Pakistan the early 2000's. Soniah Kamal captures the essence of the original and at the same time creates something new by transporting the characters and the plot to modern day Pakistan.

The plot stays true to the original P&P. Kamal effortlessly weaves in Pakastani cultu
Julie
Out-freaking-standing!!! READ THIS BOOK!!

I'd love to share my review here, but it is an assigned book and the review will be copyrighted. However, I can not recommend this book highly enough. If you love Pride & Prejudice you will love this rendition set in modern day Pakistan. This is one of those books I just want to hold close to my heart and never let go. An absolute delight, but also insightful and educational.

5 BIG STARS!!
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
A Pakistani retelling of Pride and Prejudice? And by an author born in Pakistan? I was all, sign me up!

So ... 3.66 stars. It's not perfect, and often it follows the original P&P plot a little too closely, especially with the characters' names and some famous lines and scenes from P&P that were a little too spot-on. Alysba (Alys) Binat as Elizabeth Bennet and Valentine Darsee are okay, but I draw the line at Jeorgeulla Wickaam and the "Looclus" (Lucas) clan. Humeria (Hammy) and Sumeria (Sammy) B
Liz
Dec 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley

“It is a truth universally acknowledged that a girl can go from pauper to princess or princess to pauper in the mere seconds it takes for her to accept a proposal.”

Pride and Prejudice remains my favorite book of all time. So, I am a sucker for all “sequels”, takeoffs, etc. Some have been very good (Eligible, Longbourn), others deadly (Mary B, I’m looking at you).

This takeoff on P&P takes place in modern day Pakistan, which works well, because so few other places in modern times can get away with
Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
5 stars to Unmarriageable! Don’t miss it! ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️

I usually plan a special read around my birthday each year, and I hope to post the review on my birthday. Well, this year, the book I’m reading is fantastic, but I haven’t had enough time to finish it (the NC snowpocalype really threw my plans for a loop!). That said, I read Unmarriageable recently, and it blew me out of the water. I hadn’t had a chance to post the review on Goodreads, so this worked out well to share with you today.

Wow,
Larry H
Feb 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Between 3 and 3.5 stars.

There's that classic line from the song "Beauty and the Beast" which goes, "Tale as old as time..." It signifies a story that's been heard so many times throughout the ages, although it may take on slightly (or drastically) different forms each time you hear it.

Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice is definitely one of those tales as old as time. Not only have there been countless adaptations of this classic on television and in movies, both in the U.S. and abroad, but it
Berit☀️✨
Feb 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: net-galley
A beautifully told story full of character charm and culture! This was such a magical story, a modern retelling of “Pride and Prejudice“ set in modern day Pakistan... Full disclosure I have never read P&P ( don’t tell anybody) and this book still was pure magic! Soniah Kamal has crafted a wonderfully told tale that really brought the people and the culture of Pakistan to life...

Alys is a modern self-sufficient woman living in a not so modern or forward thinking Pakistan... there is a definite t
peachygirl
Feb 23, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2019
I know this is a retelling of Pride and Prejudice, but Alys Binat and Darsee?? The writer could have at least tried to come up with a bunch of decent Pakistani names instead of these weird variations.

If I were being honest, this felt more like a tacky dubbing of a renowned foreign movie in a regional language for local audience's benefit than a remake. Reminded me of the time I watched Harry Potter and Draco shouting outrageous spells in Tamil and went through severe bouts of annoyance. Expecte
Mackey
Unmarriageable, as many no doubt know, is an entertaining re-telling of Jane Austen’s Pride and Prejudice – with a twist.

If you are familiar with the original Austen story, then the premise of Unmarriageable will be familiar to you; it is, in fact, the same. The difference, and what works so well, is that it is set in today’s modern Pakistan. If you are unfamiliar with the history of Pakistan, it once was part of India, separated now after a war for Independence, and is a thriving democracy that
Brandice
Feb 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Set in early 2000s Pakistan, Unmarriageable is a retelling of Pride and Prejudice. Don’t shun me, but I’ve never read the classic original Pride and Prejudice. The premise here, however, is the same: A close family of 5 daughters (The Binats: Jena, Alys, Mari, Qitty and Lady) - Each daughter still unwed, much to their overbearing mother’s distress.

I enjoyed Unmarriageable’s fresh take on a classic story with this newer time period and the incorporation of a different culture. A few years ago, I
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

Okay, maybe that’s a bit of an exaggeration, but I have read it a crapton, buy every copy I see at thrift stores and read every retelling/variation I can get my hands on. From general modernizations to gender flips to zombies to even the Hallmark variety . . . .

Because, come on, y’all know Christmas makes your homegirl be like . . . .

In my opinion, when it comes to P&P there is never going to be too much of a good thing.
Melindam
Feb 09, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: P&P fans, with all my heart
Recommended to Melindam by: Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
Log Kya Kahenge...
What will people say...

description*

IT IS A TRUTH UNIVERSALLY ACKNOWLEDGED THAT JANE AUSTEN's P&P CAN BE TRANSFERRED/TRANSPLANTED /TRANSLATED INTO ALMOST ANY TIME/SITUATION/CULTURE.

Although I've yet to find/read a P&P Space Opera...
...
...
In case you know about one that exists, please give me a shout!! :)))

Pride and Prejudice in Pakistan.

And of course it
ABookwormWithWine
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️💫 / 5

Yesss you guys! I love a good Pride and Prejudice retelling, and Unmarriageable by Soniah Kamal is one of the best ones I have read yet.

What it's about: Set in modern day Pakistan, the Binat family has lost their good reputation and none of their 5 daughters are married yet. All of her sisters want to be married, but Alys (the second oldest) is a headstrong and forward thinking English teacher, and she is perfectly happy being single - much to the chagrin of her mother Pinkie. When
Unmarriageable is a retelling of Jane Austen's famed Pride and Prejudice, only this time it's set in Pakistan during the years 2000 and 2001. The classic plot line is followed meticulously and each familiar character is effortless to identify. But the best thing about this retelling is the author's dedication to honoring Jane Austen's independent spirit and her demand for more than what society dictated for her.

Author Soniah Kamal's use of the Pakistan culture appears to marry well with the the
Sherwood Smith
This latest of the many, many cash-ins on Pride and Prejudice was, unlike most of them, pretty entertaining. The twist here is that the story is set in Pakistan circa 2000, which seems to map well over the confining atmosphere of gentry England circa 1800.

Unlike the Curtis Sittenfeld version, whose characters all tended toward the crass and almost determinedly mundane, this version offers some genuine good people among all the antics of marriage-obsessed mamas and girls raised in a hothouse atmo
Emer (A Little Haze)
I adore Jane Austen. And I mean ADORE! I'm also very precious about her novels and am not a fan of writers reworking them or reimagining them because I think the beauty with Jane was in her characters. Her characters were always so well written... So it was with some trepidation that I started this book... I need not have been worried as this is a terrifically funny and intelligent update of Austen's beloved Pride and Prejudice.

The setting of this book is moved to Pakistan in 2001 and wow, does
Carol (Bookaria)
May 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
A charming and engaging retelling of Pride & Prejudice that takes place in contemporary Pakistan.

If you enjoyed Jane Austen’s novel, then you will likely have a good time with this story. I felt the book captured its essence, it kept me interested and curious by being narrated in a different time and cultural setting from the original. The main themes are present and are still relevant to this day, double-standards, marriage, duty, family, and love.

I loved the pop-culture references, the charact
Anne Bogel
Jun 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
This contemporary Pride and Prejudice update is set in Pakistan, 2001, and features a modern-day version of the family you know and love: the Binat family includes a sharp-witted father, marriage-obsessed mother, and five daughters. Despite the difference of centuries, it’s clear how women’s concerns are similar between Austen’s time and Kamal’s. Alysba teaches English, and in a fun opening scene she challenges her teenage students to reinterpret Austen’s famous opening line. Kamal uses her hero ...more
Anum S.
“It is a truth universally acknowledged that hasty marriages are nightmares of bardasht karo, the gospel of tolerance and compromise, and that it’s always us females who are given this despicable advice. I despise it.”

I was cautious before I could even properly decide how I felt about this book because I had very recently read a horrible desi adaptation of P&P. There’s only so many versions of the same story you can read, waiting for at least one of them to be good. But I was pleasantly surprise
Yusra  ✨
Sep 20, 2018 marked it as to-read
you all know where I’m going to be january 15th, just chilling on my couch with some tim hortons sponsored french vanilla & jamming to atif aslam while reading this book!! ...more
may ❀
this was so over-the-top, trying too hard to be funny that it was painful to read. i love feminist themes in books as much as everyone else but i dont LIKE it being shoved down my throat and lectured at me, okay thanks

how did i make it through this?? i honestly would like to know too.

also mari's character featured some REALLY harmful stereotypes about muslims 😊😄😊😁😄😊😊😁😊😄
Cindy Burnett
Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing

I am a huge Jane Austen fan so as soon as I saw this book I knew I had to read it. Soniah Kamal has crafted a fabulous tale that is true to Jane Austen and infused with Pakistani culture and history, particularly the effects of British colonialism. The parallels to Pride and Prejudice and the references/nods to Jane Austen are entertaining, and I enjoyed comparing the story with the original tale. However, my favorite part of the book was learning so much about Pakistan. Unmarriageable
Tucker
Jan 20, 2019 rated it liked it
There have been numerous novels written which echo the plots of Jane Austen’s books, and Sonia Kamal’s updated version of “Pride and Prejudice”is a stand-out in that sub-genre. Set in Pakistan, the Binat family endeavors to make matches for their five daughters with wealthy, successful, and handsome bachelors. Complications and misunderstandings ensue, enlivened by Kamal’s witty and delightful writing. While the plot may be familiar to Austen fans, the Pakistani setting reveals much about that c ...more
mindful.librarian ☀️
[@randomhouse #partner] 📚 “.....it is a truth universally acknowledged, Alys suddenly thought with a smile, that people enter our lives to recommend reads.”

Brava, Soniah Kamal 👏🏼 I will fully admit that Jane Austen’s P&P isn’t my very favorite book of all time, as it is for so many others. However, “Unmarriageable” and its Pakistani revamp IS one of my favorites.

I’ll take Alys Binat in early 2000s Pakistan any day over Elizabeth Bennett in early 1800s England! This is definitely partially due to
Travel.with.a.book
Jan 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What an astounding beautiful novel by Soniah, a very splendid version of Pride and Prejudice told in modern day Pakistan!
I really enjoyed every line of this amazing book it really is a page turner and it will amaze your mind with all these incredible dranas and twists within the book!
The setting is quite enjoyable and interesting, so we meet the Binat family and their terrific members with varying personalities! The main character is Alys Binat, a teacher who wants to create positive minds at t
MaryBeth's Bookshelf
Mar 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
Unmarriageable, a retelling of the classic Pride and Prejudice, is a fun little rom-com set in Pakistan. Set against the modern culture of India, it still has the same themes and ideas surrounding a woman's "place." Where I struggled was trying to keep all the names straight, but that's a "me" problem, not a problem with the book. I think Kamal wrote a fun story that lovers of Pride and Prejudice will enjoy!
Gayathri
Jul 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Read the full review at Elgee Writes

My initial thoughts
I picked Unmarriageable because I missed Jane Austen and wanted to get into her world, and Unmarriageable did exactly that. I could see the Austen’s characters in Soniah Kamal’s and it stayed true to the original. The sub plots of Kaleen and Sherry (Colleen – Charlotte) and the way they had been adapted to the modern Pakistan fit perfectly.

While I understand it is a retelling, I wish the author had explored the characters deeper. Lady’s char
Mónica BQ
Mar 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars rounded up

It is a truth universally acknowledged that "Pride and Prejudice" holds a special place in the hearts of about a fourth of the world's population. Including mine.

Unmarriageable is a fantastic book that sets the entire story of Elizabeth Bennet in modern day Pakistan. It shows how utterly relatable the story of the Bennet girls still is in the context of an incredibly patriarchal culture that is nevertheless forward thinking in many aspects.

‘Had Jena dared to openl
abby
Jan 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Binat sisters are the talk of the town of Dilipabad, Pakistan. Swindled out of their inheritance by an unscrupulous relative and forced to live in reduced circumstances in a backwater. Five unmarried daughters. The eldest two-- lovely but timid Jena and independent minded Alys-- have the beauty and earning potential to be good marriage matches, if only they weren't on the wrong side of 30. Then there's killjoy Mari, overweight Qitty, and wild child Lady. In a culture where a woman's entire o ...more
Christina
Seldom, very seldom, does a book resonate with me so personally that the story lingers, follows me for days. I have been thinking about “Unmarriageable” for a few days now and believe it to be a formidable “Pride and Prejudice” reimagining in the cornucopia that is present day Jane Austen fan fiction. New Austen-inspired stories are published hourly with the advent of self-publishing and so I am always a tad jaded in wondering what is there new that a writer brings to the table, what fresh angle ...more

• Ayesha at Last
  • Pride, Prejudice, and Other Flavors
  • The Unlikely Adventures of the Shergill Sisters
  • The Accidental Beauty Queen
  • Recipe for Persuasion (The Rajes, #2)
  • Waiting for Tom Hanks (Waiting for Tom Hanks, #1)
  • The Arrangement
  • Evvie Drake Starts Over
  • The Bookish Life of Nina Hill
  • The Bride Test (The Kiss Quotient, #2)
  • Field Notes on Love
  • The Marriage Clock
  • The Wedding Party (The Wedding Date, #3)
  • Love Lettering
  • The Right Swipe (Modern Love, #1)
  • Bringing Down the Duke (A League of Extraordinary Women, #1)
  • Natalie Tan's Book of Luck and Fortune
  • The Stationery Shop
Soniah Kamal is an award winning novelist, essayist and public speaker. Her most recent novel, Unmarriageable: Pride & Prejudice in Pakistan, is a Financial Times Readers’ Best Book of 2019, a 2019 ‘Books All Georgians Should Read,’ a 2020 Georgia Author of the Year for Literary Fiction nominee, is shortlisted for the 2020 Townsend Award for Fiction, is a New York Public Library, a NPR Code Switch ...more

Articles featuring this book

It's been said that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, and in the world of love stories—from the tragic to the happil...
“It was a truth universally acknowledged, Alys suddenly thought with a smile, that people enter our lives in order to recommend reads.” 16 likes
“Ever since I could remember, I'd been engaging in literary transference/transplantation/translation from one culture to another. Growing up on English literature, I taught myself to see my daily reality reflected in my reading material, while plumbing its universal truths in search of particulars... In reading English literature with a Pakistani lense, it seemed to me that all cultures were concerned with the same eternal questions and that people were more similar to one another than they were different. As Alys Binat says in Unmarriagble, "Reading widely can lead to an appreciation of the universalities across cultures."

But as Valentine Darsee says, "We've been forced to seek ourselves in the literature of others for too long.”
5 likes