Start by marking “Her Last Move” as Want to Read:
Her Last Move

Her Last Move

“Whatever you do, don’t read this in the dark…” —Cara Hunter, author of Close to Home

He hides in the shadows, waiting for the perfect moment. Each kill is calculated, planned and executed like clockwork.

Struggling to balance her personal and professional life, young DS Becca Vincent has landed the biggest case of her career – and she knows that it will make or break her

Published November 8th 2018 by Thomas & Mercer

Kylie D
Nov 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What an absolute corker of a book! It starts with a bang and never lets up until the final page.
A serial killer is at work in London, with several bodies turning up in a matter of days, each death more vicious and depraved than the last. But what has sent the killer on his spree? And what links the victims? Luckily DS Becca Vincent and DS Joe Russell are on the case, each with their own points to prove. Becca is a young detective out to make a name for herself and Joe is a facial recognition exp
Kaceey - Traveling Sister
3.5*
Two murders within hours of each other. Both victims have identical tattoos on their hands. Both live at the same address. And…both died a horrific death, but in very different ways. Soon after, reports begin flooding in of yet more gruesome deaths. Sure gives the appearance of being related…unless you don’t believe in coincidences. So, are they all related? Is there a serial killer on the loose? Is there a reason they’re being targeted?

“Everyone has their secrets”

Detective sergeant Becca Vi
Susanne Strong
Oct 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: buddy-read, netgalley
3.5 Stars* (rounded up).

The body count keeps rising and neither DS Becca Vincent or the rest of her team are able to work fast enough to track the killer. Knowing that time is of the essence, Becca calls in the help of super facial recognition expert Joe Russell. If Joe can’t find this guy, well then, all bets are off. One by one, the murders get more gruesome and more personal with Becca and Joe racing to try and figure out what their connection is.

As the tension mounted in this crazy mystery
Louise Wilson
Nov 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
She's chasing a killer. He's watching her every move. Each kill is calculated, planned and executed like clockwork. DS Becca Vincent has landed the biggest case of her career. With a list of people he wants to kill, he knows everyone will understand why they had to die. It's personal, but what connections are there between the victims?

This story is told alternately between DS Becca Vincent, super recogniser, Joe and the villain. There,are twists galore in this action packed book from the start.
Pauline
Aug 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
I really enjoy John Marrs books and was delighted to receive an ARC of his latest book Her Last Move. I really enjoyed this thriller and was hooked from the first page to the last. The characters were very well written and each one had an interesting story.
There is a serial killer working in London and the detective working on the case is Becca who is trying to find him before he strikes again. She is helped by Joe a super recogniser of faces who is assigned to her department temporarily.
I thin
Michelle
DNF - no rating

I loved The Good Samaritan by this author and was eager and excited to receive an arc of his latest work, Her Last Move. Sadly, this book wasn't nearly as compelling as The Good Samaritan.

Overwritten, drawn out, and never held my interest.

Thank you to NetGalley and Thomas & Mercer for providing me with a digital ARC in exchange for my honest review.
Joey R.
Dec 12, 2018 rated it liked it
2.5 Stars— I have made no secret that John Marrs is one of my favorite authors. He always writes in a fast paced style and keeps you guessing with surprises throughout his books. Therefore, the first book I decided to read when I rejoined Kindle Unlimited was “Her Last Move”, the only Marrs’ book I hadn’t read. “Her Last Move” was different from Marrs’ other books in that it took some time for the plot to grab me. After thinking back, I believe this was because Marrs doesn’t give you any informa ...more
 Li'l Owl
Twisty and terrifying! This is not your standard detective vs killer story!

Prologue:
We are in the shoes of an unknown individual (I will use 'he' for simplicity). He's weaving through the packed crowds of the tube station, following a large man named Demitru. He has been stalking Demitru for some time and he knows his daily movements, which is what he's counting on. He closes in, closer and closer, using the crowd to remain unnoticed. Standing directly behind Demitru he stabs him with a syringe
Danielle (The Blonde Likes Books)
John Marrs is an auto-buy author for me, meaning I'll read anything he writes. When I found out he had a new book, Her Last Move, coming out, I couldn't wait to request it on Netgalley! Regular readers of my blog and reviews know by now that I love books that involve some element of stalking, and this one did, and I loved it.

The book alternates between three POVs - our protagonist Becca, who is a detective hoping to have her big career break on this case, Joe, a "super-recognizer" that works fo
Jayme
Oct 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars (rounded up)

“HE” has a list of people that he plans to kill. And, he just knows that everyone will understand WHY each victim had to die, once he explains his reasons....

Yes, it’s personal.

BUT what is the connection between the victims?

Tasked with solving this mystery are DS Becca Vincent and Joe Russell, a member of the Super Recognizer task force (yes, I googled it, and there IS such a department! 🤓)

Each of them has lost a sibling, and neither has fully recovered from their loss.
Mark
Jul 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing

So, with much excitement I started John Marrs 5th book having loved the previous 4 and ‘The One’ being one of my favourite books EVER!....one of the things I love about this author is his ability to surprise and the different writing styles he adopts and with that the range of stories he tells, never predictable and this book is completely different to any of his others...
The story is set around ( and I don’t want to give too much away) a man on a killing spree to ‘right a set of perceived wrong
Amy
Nov 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
Holy cannoli this was one hell of a read you guys! I was a huge fan of Marrs last book, The Good Samaritan and couldn’t wait to get my hands on this one. The wait was well worth it and one of the many things that made this a standout for me was that it was SO vastly different from his previous work but still outstanding, it’s so impressive when an author pushes the boundaries and shakes things up with each new book release.

This follows Becca, a police officer working on the case, Joe, another co
Alex ♈
Nov 11, 2018 marked it as dnf
Chandra Claypool (wherethereadergrows)
Nov 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc
This is my third Marrs book and ding ding ding, it's another winner!! I love how intricately different each book was - The Good Samaritan, The One and now Her Last Move. I will say that this one took me a little longer to connect with but when it did... BAM - I was hooked and that was IT - goodbye productivity!

Told in three different POVs, we get the views of Joe, Becca and Dominic. Becca and Joe are working together to catch the serial killer that is Dominic who has been methodical and elusive.
Rheama
Sep 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
A string of bizarre murders have London detectives chasing a serial killer. The story is alternately told by Detective Becca Vincent, a single mom struggling to balance work and home, the villain, and a “super-recognizer,” Joe, whose photographic memory of facial features makes him priceless to the police.

There’s a fine line between classic and stale, and I felt like I zigzagged across it several times here. There’s no arguing the story is fast paced and addictive, and it definitely has some fla
Janet Newport
Thank you NetGalley and Thomas & Mercer for this arc.

Having looked through the other reviews on NetGalley and seeing a consistent 4+ star ratings for the author's previous books on Goodreads, I was really looking forward to this one.

While the story was compelling enough that I finished the book, the sheer volume of plot contrivances and all the implausibilities got to be wearying for me. But it was the 3 main characters that left me feeling overwhelmingly irritated. (I do think I showed grea
Marc Bougharios
Oct 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Once again, Marrs is back with another addictive disturbing novel.

I don’t know how he does it, but he manages to hook his readers from the first page to the last page. I’m never disappointed when I’m reading one of his novels because I know it’s always great.

This novel was very dark and I’m not ashamed to say that I loved it. The story was told in 3 different perspectives, two detectives and the killer. It’s very interesting to read because although this move serves as a thriller and most of t
Elaine Tomasso
Aug 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
I would like to thank Netgalley and Thomas & Mercer for an advance copy of Her Last Move, a stand alone procedural/thriller featuring DS Becca Vincent and DS Joe Russell of The Met.

When DS Becca Vincent recognises the tattoos on a murder victim as the same ones she'd seen on a tube fatality the day before she manages to muscle her way onto the investigation. She is teamed with super-recogniser, DS Joe Russell and together they make a formidable team.

I thoroughly enjoyed Her Last Move which i
Yvonne (It's All About Books)

Finished reading: October 27th 2018

"That's how his mind operated - he was all or nothing. When there was a goal to achieve, he could become so ruthlessly single-minded that he wouldn't allow anything to stand in his way."

*** A copy of this book was kindly provided to me by Netgalley and Thomas & Mercer in exchange for an honest review. Thank you! ***

(view spoiler)
Liz
Nov 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
There is a lovely guarantee with John Marrs’ books – fully fleshed characters and crazy twisted, complex plots! One does never have to worry about feeling disconnected from a character, or feeling bored, or stagnant with one of John’s titles.

Her Last Move is a complex story of multiple murders which start out with one that doesn’t necessarily look like a murder at first? But which is followed by very precise, different and gory murders quickly one after the other. The police force are bamboozled
The Book Review Café
Oct 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime
Her Last Move is the latest offering from author John Marrs and his first police procedure novel, so I was interested to see if he could manage to put his own unique spin on a genre that can sometimes feel oversaturated with similar plots. Although parts of Her Last Move felt familiar, for example serial killer becomes vigilante, I do think John Marrs has managed to add a couple of unique features to the read, I was especially intrigued by Joe Russell a facial recognition expert, I must admit I ...more
Liz Barnsley
Sep 18, 2018 rated it liked it
A pacy and addictive police procedural, a fast and satisfying read - whilst I can't say it brought anything new to the table, also there were a few little irritating cliche plot devices, overall Her Last Move is a great read for anyone who loves this genre.

There are some unexpected moments, always a pleasure for us readers who tend to see the path of a plot more often than not through the sheer volume we read - that raised the game slightly and I thought it had a brilliantly evocative ending.

Jo
Diane Merritt
Jul 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another fantastic John Marrs book. Pulls you in from the beginning and keeps you going until the very end! What a great book, cant wait for more from this author.

Thanks to the publisher and netgalley for an early release of this book
Tracy Fenton
Aug 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

I’m going to be honest here as I think I am John Marrs’ #1 superfan and this particular book took me ages to get into. This is a complete change in genre and style for John – his previous books have been quirky, original psychological thrillers with brilliant characters and unusual story-lines, but Her Last Move is a police based crime thriller which took me quite some time to connect with.

Once I had accepted that this book didn’t have the usual Marrs hint of quirkiness and concentrated on the m
Helen (TBC)
Oct 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley, tbc
I've read I've read and loved all John Marrs' books to date and also read a lot of police procedurals, some good, some just okay so I was intrigued to read his first venture into this genre.

As always with this author the writing is engaging and the characters are believable, none are stereotypical and their back stories are deftly woven into the storyline. The juggle between the professional and personal lives of key characters was absolutely nailed, I was enthralled to learn about the super-rec
Jenny - TotallybookedBlog
Nov 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
description

“I don’t know why, but sometimes you can just tell when a person has a dark soul. His was the darkest I’ve met in a long time.”

We became fans of this author with The One, and with Her Last Move, John Marrs has provided yet another gripping and thrilling read! We nearly hyperventilated whilst holding our breaths, eager to reach the conclusion in this jaw-dropping story! This author knows how to capture his readers’ imagination, he knows how to entertain his readers and he certainly has a knack
Gitte TotallyBookedBlog
Nov 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018

description

Denise
Nov 25, 2018 added it
"How could a good man make such bad decisions? We all have choices."

The first two deaths occurred within hours of each other. Although strikingly dissimilar in manner, the team at Metropolian Police's Westminster-based CID is convinced that the perpetrator must be the same person. When a third victim is discovered, DS Becca Vincent -- who argued strongly to be included on the investigation -- gets input from a facial recognition expert attached to the force. DS Joe Russell knows that Becca doesn
Stephanie ((Strazzybooks))
Jan 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thrillers
Once I got to about 50% I couldn’t put this book down! And at 75% I was no good to anyone or anything around me. I remember having the same experience while reading Marrs’ The Good Samaritan . Safe to say I’ll be reading all of John Marrs books as soon as possible. His writing style is extremely readable, with good characters and mounting suspense and the right amount of twisty surprise.

Her Last Move was a great police thriller, with well-developed characters. The main characters, DS Becca a
Laura Rash
Jan 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
That was kind of crazy! So many details that were all wrapped up by the end that shook me bc I didn’t see it coming! I always enjoy John Marrs books!
John Marrs is the author of The One, The Good Samaritan, When You Disappeared, Her Last Move and Welcome to Wherever You Are.

A former freelance journalist based in London, England, he spent twenty-five years interviewing celebrities from the world of television, film and music for national newspapers and magazines until becoming a full-time author in 2018.

He has written for publications including
“No man chooses evil because it is evil; he only mistakes it for happiness, the good he seeks. Mary Wollstonecraft” 0 likes