Start by marking “Her Last Move” as Want to Read:
Her Last Move

Her Last Move

“Whatever you do, don’t read this in the dark…” —Cara Hunter, author of Close to Home

He hides in the shadows, waiting for the perfect moment. Each kill is calculated, planned and executed like clockwork.

Struggling to balance her personal and professional life, young DS Becca Vincent has landed the biggest case of her career – and she knows that it will make or break h

Published November 8th 2018 by Thomas & Mercer

To ask other readers questions about Her Last Move, please sign up.
Morgyn Morel At least. At some points there are very gruesome details. I would say this book is for mature readers only.

Start your review of Her Last Move
Kylie D
What an absolute corker of a book! It starts with a bang and never lets up until the final page.

A serial killer is at work in London, with several bodies turning up in a matter of days, each death more vicious and depraved than the last. But what has sent the killer on his spree? And what links the victims? Luckily DS Becca Vincent and DS Joe Russell are on the case, each with their own points to prove. Becca is a young detective out to make a name for herself and Joe is a facial recognition exp
Kaceey
Oct 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley, buddy-read
3.5*
Two murders within hours of each other. Both victims have identical tattoos on their hands. Both live at the same address. And…both died a horrific death, but in very different ways. Soon after, reports begin flooding in of yet more gruesome deaths. Sure gives the appearance of being related…unless you don’t believe in coincidences. So, are they all related? Is there a serial killer on the loose? Is there a reason they’re being targeted?

“Everyone has their secrets”

Detective sergeant Becca Vi
Susanne  Strong
Oct 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, buddy-read
3.5 Stars* (rounded up).

The body count keeps rising and neither DS Becca Vincent or the rest of her team are able to work fast enough to track the killer. Knowing that time is of the essence, Becca calls in the help of super facial recognition expert Joe Russell. If Joe can’t find this guy, well then, all bets are off. One by one, the murders get more gruesome and more personal with Becca and Joe racing to try and figure out what their connection is.

As the tension mounted in this crazy mystery
Louise Wilson
Nov 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
She's chasing a killer. He's watching her every move. Each kill is calculated, planned and executed like clockwork. DS Becca Vincent has landed the biggest case of her career. With a list of people he wants to kill, he knows everyone will understand why they had to die. It's personal, but what connections are there between the victims?

This story is told alternately between DS Becca Vincent, super recogniser, Joe and the villain. There,are twists galore in this action packed book from the start.
Joey R.
Dec 12, 2018 rated it liked it
2.5 Stars— I have made no secret that John Marrs is one of my favorite authors. He always writes in a fast paced style and keeps you guessing with surprises throughout his books. Therefore, the first book I decided to read when I rejoined Kindle Unlimited was “Her Last Move”, the only Marrs’ book I hadn’t read. “Her Last Move” was different from Marrs’ other books in that it took some time for the plot to grab me. After thinking back, I believe this was because Marrs doesn’t give you any informa ...more
Pauline
Aug 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
I really enjoy John Marrs books and was delighted to receive an ARC of his latest book Her Last Move. I really enjoyed this thriller and was hooked from the first page to the last. The characters were very well written and each one had an interesting story.
There is a serial killer working in London and the detective working on the case is Becca who is trying to find him before he strikes again. She is helped by Joe a super recogniser of faces who is assigned to her department temporarily.
I thin
Krystin Rachel
Book Blog | Bookstagram

Opening Hook: A subway nightmare, and I'm not talking about Jared.
Main Character: Trying to do it all, failing.
Plot Twisty-ness: Twisty, but in a depressing way

I don’t know why I thought this was going to be a serial killer “thriller”… I mean, in some ways it is. There is a serial killer. And cops. And stuff is happening.

But, holy shit, this might be the most depressing crime fiction novel I’ve ever read. This just hit me right in all my sad feels like a British episode of
Michelle
DNF - no rating

I loved The Good Samaritan by this author and was eager and excited to receive an arc of his latest work, Her Last Move. Sadly, this book wasn't nearly as compelling as The Good Samaritan.

Overwritten, drawn out, and never held my interest.

Thank you to NetGalley and Thomas & Mercer for providing me with a digital ARC in exchange for my honest review.
 Li'l Owl
Twisty and terrifying! This is not your standard detective vs killer story!

Prologue:
We are in the shoes of an unknown individual (I will use 'he' for simplicity). He's weaving through the packed crowds of the tube station, following a large man named Demitru. He has been stalking Demitru for some time and he knows his daily movements, which is what he's counting on. He closes in, closer and closer, using the crowd to remain unnoticed. Standing directly behind Demitru he stabs him with a syringe
Danielle (The Blonde Likes Books)
John Marrs is an auto-buy author for me, meaning I'll read anything he writes. When I found out he had a new book, Her Last Move, coming out, I couldn't wait to request it on Netgalley! Regular readers of my blog and reviews know by now that I love books that involve some element of stalking, and this one did, and I loved it.

The book alternates between three POVs - our protagonist Becca, who is a detective hoping to have her big career break on this case, Joe, a "super-recognizer" that works fo
bookswithpaulette
Feb 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book packs a punch, a vindictive, vengeful serial killer is on the loose in London.

The bodies are piling up, the murders are brutal, evil and calculated. DS Becca Vincent and DS Joe Russell are tasked to examine the evidence and find the links to why these victims. The character development of Becca and Joe are what makes this book. Becca is a young detective keen to make a name for herself whilst trying to balance time at home with her 6-year-old daughter. Joe is assigned to the taskforce
Mark
Jul 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing

So, with much excitement I started John Marrs 5th book having loved the previous 4 and ‘The One’ being one of my favourite books EVER!....one of the things I love about this author is his ability to surprise and the different writing styles he adopts and with that the range of stories he tells, never predictable and this book is completely different to any of his others...
The story is set around ( and I don’t want to give too much away) a man on a killing spree to ‘right a set of perceived wrong
Jayme
Oct 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars (rounded up)

“HE” has a list of people that he plans to kill. And, he just knows that everyone will understand WHY each victim had to die, once he explains his reasons....

Yes, it’s personal.

BUT what is the connection between the victims?

Tasked with solving this mystery are DS Becca Vincent and Joe Russell, a member of the Super Recognizer task force (yes, I googled it, and there IS such a department! 🤓)

Each of them has lost a sibling, and neither has fully recovered from their loss.
Amy
Nov 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
Holy cannoli this was one hell of a read you guys! I was a huge fan of Marrs last book, The Good Samaritan and couldn’t wait to get my hands on this one. The wait was well worth it and one of the many things that made this a standout for me was that it was SO vastly different from his previous work but still outstanding, it’s so impressive when an author pushes the boundaries and shakes things up with each new book release.

This follows Becca, a police officer working on the case, Joe, another co
Erin (from Long Island, NY)
This is a tough 1 to review. I do love this author but while I can totally appreciate the skill it takes for him to weave together a story like this, it wasn’t my personal favorite. First off let me say that I was just as completely engrossed in this as I was in his previous books (that I adored start to finish.) I love how complicated his characters are, although this 1 comes heavy with seriously depressing back stories. Still I loved some, despised others & sympathized with most.. The warning ...more
Chandra Claypool (wherethereadergrows)
This is my third Marrs book and ding ding ding, it's another winner!! I love how intricately different each book was - The Good Samaritan, The One and now Her Last Move. I will say that this one took me a little longer to connect with but when it did... BAM - I was hooked and that was IT - goodbye productivity!

Told in three different POVs, we get the views of Joe, Becca and Dominic. Becca and Joe are working together to catch the serial killer that is Dominic who has been methodical and elusive.
Alex ♈
Nov 11, 2018 marked it as dnf
Pat
Jun 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One thing we can maybe all agree on is that this book was a departure for John Marrs. He has not published a police procedural before. He scored points from me by introducing a really different type of protagonist in Joe Russell who was in a special police unit of super-recognisers. I had heard of this but never saw it mentioned in a book. He is working with DS Becca Vincent, a single mum who is also very ambitious professionally and therefore struggles with competing priorities which is a probl ...more
Rheama Heather
Sep 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
A string of bizarre murders have London detectives chasing a serial killer. The story is alternately told by Detective Becca Vincent, a single mom struggling to balance work and home, the villain, and a “super-recognizer,” Joe, whose photographic memory of facial features makes him priceless to the police.

There’s a fine line between classic and stale, and I felt like I zigzagged across it several times here. There’s no arguing the story is fast paced and addictive, and it definitely has some fla
Janet Newport
Thank you NetGalley and Thomas & Mercer for this arc.

Having looked through the other reviews on NetGalley and seeing a consistent 4+ star ratings for the author's previous books on Goodreads, I was really looking forward to this one.

While the story was compelling enough that I finished the book, the sheer volume of plot contrivances and all the implausibilities got to be wearying for me. But it was the 3 main characters that left me feeling overwhelmingly irritated. (I do think I showed great re
Elaine Tomasso
Aug 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
I would like to thank Netgalley and Thomas & Mercer for an advance copy of Her Last Move, a stand alone procedural/thriller featuring DS Becca Vincent and DS Joe Russell of The Met.

When DS Becca Vincent recognises the tattoos on a murder victim as the same ones she'd seen on a tube fatality the day before she manages to muscle her way onto the investigation. She is teamed with super-recogniser, DS Joe Russell and together they make a formidable team.

I thoroughly enjoyed Her Last Move which is an
Tracy Fenton
Aug 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

I’m going to be honest here as I think I am John Marrs’ #1 superfan and this particular book took me ages to get into. This is a complete change in genre and style for John – his previous books have been quirky, original psychological thrillers with brilliant characters and unusual story-lines, but Her Last Move is a police based crime thriller which took me quite some time to connect with.

Once I had accepted that this book didn’t have the usual Marrs hint of quirkiness and concentrated on the m
Nicole
Jun 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is a really well written stand alone crime thriller, which I highly recommend!

I've read one John Mars book before, the one, which is more of a sci-fi thriller. Whereas this is a crime thriller, which I think I perfer

I listened to the audiobook of this book, which I really enjoyed. I think the narrator did a great job.

It was really well written, very pacey and engaging.

It was also dark and violent which I love in my thrillers.

The only reason I couldn't give it the full five stars, was beca
Marc Bougharios
Oct 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Once again, Marrs is back with another addictive disturbing novel.

I don’t know how he does it, but he manages to hook his readers from the first page to the last page. I’m never disappointed when I’m reading one of his novels because I know it’s always great.

This novel was very dark and I’m not ashamed to say that I loved it. The story was told in 3 different perspectives, two detectives and the killer. It’s very interesting to read because although this move serves as a thriller and most of t
Liz Barnsley
Sep 18, 2018 rated it liked it
A pacy and addictive police procedural, a fast and satisfying read - whilst I can't say it brought anything new to the table, also there were a few little irritating cliche plot devices, overall Her Last Move is a great read for anyone who loves this genre.

There are some unexpected moments, always a pleasure for us readers who tend to see the path of a plot more often than not through the sheer volume we read - that raised the game slightly and I thought it had a brilliantly evocative ending.

Jo
Bridgett
Jul 06, 2018 rated it liked it
I'm disappointed.

This is my fifth John Marrs novel, and of those five, TWO were given 5-star ratings : The Good Samaritan and The One. Now, anybody who knows me is very much aware that I give very few 5-star ratings. I just don't. A book has to be beyond extraordinary for that to happen...a plot I've never read before; an amazing twist I didn't see coming; words which make me laugh out loud, or sob until my eyes are swollen shut; or maybe just something new and totally innovative. Two
Laura Rash
Jan 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
That was kind of crazy! So many details that were all wrapped up by the end that shook me bc I didn’t see it coming! I always enjoy John Marrs books!
Rachel
Jul 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Exciting and action packed plot. Lots of interesting turns. Realistic and well developed characters. Fast paced. Highly recommend.
The Book Review Café
Oct 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime
Her Last Move is the latest offering from author John Marrs and his first police procedure novel, so I was interested to see if he could manage to put his own unique spin on a genre that can sometimes feel oversaturated with similar plots. Although parts of Her Last Move felt familiar, for example serial killer becomes vigilante, I do think John Marrs has managed to add a couple of unique features to the read, I was especially intrigued by Joe Russell a facial recognition expert, I must admit I ...more
Helen
Oct 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley, tbc
I've read I've read and loved all John Marrs' books to date and also read a lot of police procedurals, some good, some just okay so I was intrigued to read his first venture into this genre.

As always with this author the writing is engaging and the characters are believable, none are stereotypical and their back stories are deftly woven into the storyline. The juggle between the professional and personal lives of key characters was absolutely nailed, I was enthralled to learn about the super-rec

• The House Guest
  • 4 Riverside Close
  • The Promise
  • In Her Shadow
  • The Apartment
  • Right Behind You (DCI Tom Douglas, #9)
  • The Secret Child (DI Amy Winter, #2)
  • Strangers
  • Truth and Lies (DI Amy Winter, #1)
  • The Missing
  • The Shape of Lies (DCI Tom Douglas, #8)
  • Here To Stay
  • Her last breath
  • The Home
  • The Other Wife
  • Liars: psychological fiction at its best
  • Last of the Magpies (Magpies, #3)
  • I Will Make You Pay
John Marrs is the author of #1 Best Sellers The One, The Good Samaritan, When You Disappeared, Welcome to Wherever You Are, Her Last Move, The Passengers, The Minders and What Lies Between Us.
The One has been translated into 30 different languages and is to be turned into an eight-part Netflix series starting in autumn 2020.
After working as a journalist for 25-years interviewing celebrities from