Start by marking “The Art of Love (The Golden City, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Art of Love (The Golden City, #1)

(The Golden City #1)

Money. Art. Passion. Despair. Welcome to the Golden City

At the end of the Gilded Age, the “Golden City” of San Francisco offers everything a man could want—except the answers August Wolff desperately needs to find. After digging a fortune in gold from the frozen fields of the Klondike, Gus heads south, hoping to start over and put the baffling disappearance of his wife
Published May 3rd 2014 by Red Trumpet Press

To ask other readers questions about The Art of Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Art of Love

Start your review of The Art of Love (The Golden City, #1)
Maureen
May 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of life’s great pleasures is finding an author with a body of work that I can follow for a while to feed my appetite for reading. Often I find an author late in their career and I am sorry I missed seeing them sooner but I’m glad that I can binge on the backlog. A friend recommended A.B. Michael’s, The Art of Love. It grabbed me from the first page and had me staying up way too late to read just one more chapter, again and again. When I finished I wanted more and was sad to realize I will ...more
Anemone Flynn
Four out of five stars. The Art of Love: Origins of Sinner’s Grove by A.B. Michaels is a romance novel chronicling love between two art lovers in San Francisco at the beginning of the 20th century. But don’t let that fool you into thinking this is a sedate, slow story!

The book is written in three parts. Part one introduces Augustus Wolf on his claim during the height of the gold rush. It has a wonderful wild west feel to it, which I suppose is only to be expected given the setting. The second
Virginia Tican
Dec 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
An engrossing read despite my reluctance to read about divorce. The author has presented another aspect of such a solution to the intolerable situation that Lia, George and Emma are in (in Part 2) by way of introducing Amelia Ruth Bennett's story. I can not also fault Lia in choosing her own path (though painful by her leaving Little Georgie) but that was the best option so that George and the newly widowed Emma can be together and Lia can pursue her art. What I cannot fathom is why did Emma not ...more
Doreen Prentiss Gabriellini
Oct 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
‘The Art of Love’ by A.B. Michaels is a wonderful piece of historical fiction. This wonderful story takes us from the Yukon to New York and lastly San Francisco in the late 1800's.
The story drew me in during the first chapter and had me staying up late to read ‘just one more chapter’ When I finished I wanted more. There was hope however since the cover of the book says The Golden City #1.

Both the main characters Gus and Lia are extremely complex characters who have both survived failed
Nanette Littlestone
History and passion come alive!

From the icy fields of the Yukon to the rich abodes of New York to the growing beauty of San Francisco and the redwood forests, A.B. Michaels captures the history and aliveness of the late 19th and early 20th centuries in her heroes Lia and Gus. I shivered through Gus's gold mining attempts in the Yukon and wondered how any man or woman could exist there. Then my heart bristled in outrage at Lia's unfortunate turn of events among the wealthy patronage of New York.
Kristy Day
Oct 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A turn-of-the-century novel based upon upper society in San Francisco

This is an excellent novel based upon San Francisco elite. The author doesn't write what's expected about upper class society, yet about the struggles one man goes through to get what he wants, happiness. The book is well written, week developed and well paced. Scenes are described so vividly they can be easily pictured. Characters are believable and emotions are heartfelt. An excellent book, highly recommended.
Barbara
Jul 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Book one of the Golden City series and I want to read the next book. Businessman August Wolff and talented artist Amelia Starling meet and find that the love they feel for each other just keeps growing, but Gus is hiding something from his past that can tear them apart. I know I want to read the next book in this series. I recommend this book. I received a free copy of this book via Booksprout and am voluntarily leaving a review.
Susan Zollmann
Nov 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Art of Love lives up to its name!

I just love me the writings of A.B. Michaels! Though this is only the second novel of hers that I've read, I'm even more gratified than I was after the first. Her character development, historical setting & plot line is such that I am totally enthralled. I read alot & it's been years since I've come across an author who displays such finesse at her craft. I highly recommend this author & can't wait to read more of her work.
Rita
Sep 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this story. The author describes the history of many historical things in San Francisco. There is an amazing love story with lots of drama. I thought the book was full of emotions with great characters. I think the author did a wonderful job of making you feel the characters pain and love. A great book to read.
John Pope
Jan 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I couldn't put it down until I finished the book.

This book was wonderful as a romance but just as engrossing as a history of the gold rush in California and the Klondike. Viewing it through the eyes of a woman from the privileged yet structured life of New York society to the freedom of starting her own journey was doubly satisfying.
Tanya
Jul 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
He made it rich and now he hopes to go find a new place to try to get over his missing wife and daughter. Will he ever find out what happened to them he meets another who is just as lost as he is. She is an artist. Can two broken people find a new way to live? Find out what they will do

Michelle
Feb 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful romance novels !!

I could not put this book down. It had a lot of romance and a little of everything else. I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys a love story that keeps you on the edge of your seat !! I can't wait to read book 2 of this series.
Amy
May 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved this! Can't wait to read the others in the series. Romance + San Francisco + Gilded Age - winning combination. The romance was predictable but the main characters' circumstances were a little out of the ordinary for romances, which bumped this from 4 stars to 5 for me.
Eva
Jan 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant book! One of the best ones I've read in a while.
Loved it that the story was in 3 parts and how all of it played out.
Also it was very romantic but also kept me on the edge of wanting to read more.
Pat
Jan 27, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Art of Love

The Art of Love was an historical fiction book about the Klondike, striking it rich, losing your first love and finally making it big and finding true love in San Francisco.
Charlotte Lowe
Jan 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Art of Love

The process of the story, telling the individual life story of Gus, then Lia, was masterfully done. Their eventual meeting and falling in love still was not without its problems.
Deb
Sep 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
The author took us on a well written trip to the gold mining era. I liked the story and the characters. I was surprised by some of the things in the book, but I also was intrigued. The storyline was fascinating. It was a well written trip into the past.
Maureen Hetzel
I have mixed feeling about the book. A panoramic story the starts in the Alaskan gold rush, the moves to high society in New York to create the backstories of the main characters. Then we are in San Francisco. The historical Background in each section is welcome. The story itself could have been edited in a way that increased its impact. It was just a tad too long and drawn out. Enjoyable but an effort.
Maria Victoria Peeler
Great love story. Well written

A bit drawn out, but worth reading patiently until the end. The complex history lets readers piece it at will
Julia
Jan 11, 2020 added it
I enjoyed this more then I thought. I found it hard to read at the beginning but was very quickly wrapped up in the story. I felt every emotion of the main characters. A fast and enjoyable read.
Carolyn S Main
Jan 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable

I enjoyed the characters the setting and the story.
Though he ending was very predictable the story getting there was good.
Julie Rose
Predictable.
Jackie
Mar 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow. Amazing story and facts from history at the same time. I just couldn’t get enough and never wanted it to end.
Merry
Oct 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent

Very good writing, exceptional story of early California and love story of Gus and Lia . Highly recommend this historic tale.
Julia B
Jan 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
Abrupt ending, seemed kind of rushed at the end. However, it was fitting to the plot which at the end sort of forced the characters themselves to rush. So it fit!
jill smolnik
Jan 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It captured my attention and wouldn't let go!
Pat Raab
Sep 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Enthralling. Heartwrenching and uplifting simultaneously.
Viola
Dec 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Delightful

Heart touching and melting wonderful. Great tale of struggle and love. Every moment counts with this author. Amazing the way she evokes feelings!
Virginia Sande
Sep 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was an exceptionally wonderful book! Interesting characters with interesting lives. The editing was superb!
Debbie Allen
Oct 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
was a bit confused with the change from the Klondike to New York.. thought maybe it was a bunch of short stories in it, but it soon became clear...

• The Image Seeker (Bold Women of the 20th Century, Book 2)
  • The Road Home (The Letter #2)
  • Death on the Diversion (Secret Sleuth #1)
  • Second Chance at Christmas Inn: A Sweet Small Town Christmas Romance (Love Tries Again Book 3)
  • In the Company of Like-Minded Women
  • Breakfast at the Beach House Hotel (Beach House Hotel #1)
  • No Ordinary Princess (Small Town Swains)
  • The Bend in Redwood Road (Missing Pieces, #1)
  • Sons of the Pope
  • Death in the Park (Firefly Junction Mystery #1)
  • The Lovesick Cure (Tales from Marrying Stone, #3)
  • Jeopardy in January (Calendar Mysteries #1)
  • Life in the Dead Lane (Secret Seal Isle Mysteries, #2)
  • A Cowboy's Temptation (Frontier Montana, #2)
  • One Hex of a Wedding (A Chintz 'n China Mystery, #5)
  • One Wild Dawn (The Northumberland Nine Series Book 1)
  • The American Heiress (Lords of Scandal Book 2)
  • No Woman's Land: A Holocaust Novel (Women and the Holocaust, #2)
A native of northern California, A.B. Michaels earned masters' degrees in history and broadcasting, and worked for many years in public relations and marketing. Now that she's an empty nester, she has time to write the kinds of stories she loves to read. Her historical series, "The Golden City," follows characters who make their way in turn of the twentieth century San Francisco. "I love creating ...more

The Golden City (3 books)
  • The Depth of Beauty (The Golden City, #2)
  • The Promise (The Golden City, #3)