Start by marking “Geekerella” as Want to Read:
Geekerella

Geekerella

(Once Upon a Con #1)

4.04  ·  Rating details ·  27,360 ratings  ·  6,518 reviews
Cinderella goes to the con in this fandom-fueled twist on the classic fairy tale romance—now in paperback, with a special Starfield bonus scene!

Part romance, part love letter to nerd culture, and all totally adorbs, Geekerella is a fairy tale for anyone who believes in the magic of fandom. Geek girl Elle Wittimer lives and breathes Starfield, the classic sci-fi series she
Published May 15th 2018 by Quirk Books (first published April 4th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Geekerella, please sign up.
Shannon I would highly recommend "Fangirl" by Rainbow Rowell, if you haven't already read it! :)
Jamie It does seem a bit Wattpad at first glance, but it reads less like a fanfiction and more like a hilarious, relatable love letter to all the nerds out…moreIt does seem a bit Wattpad at first glance, but it reads less like a fanfiction and more like a hilarious, relatable love letter to all the nerds out there.(less)

·  27,360 ratings  ·  6,518 reviews

Hailey (HaileyinBookland)
THIS WAS SUPER ADORABLE
I wasn't sure about it for some reason but I was pleasantly surprised! I didn't know before going into it but it's a very by the book Cinderella retelling and it worked so well in a modern setting. Just a quick, easy, feel good read.
*video review to come*
Maria
Mar 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
5/5 Stars ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐

“Never give up on your dreams, and never let anyone tell you that what you love is inconsequential or useless or a waste of time. Because if you love it? If that OTP or children's card game or abridged series or YA book or animated series makes you happy?
That is never a waste of time. Because in the end we're all just a bunch of weirdos standing in front of other weirdos, asking for their username.”

― Ashley Poston, Geekerella

GUYS THIS BOOK THIS BOOK! I'M CRYING RIGHT NOW OF
C.G. Drews
Oh this was super cute! And an excellent reason for me to stop judging covers because this waaaaay exceeded my expectations from that cover. Live and learn, Cait. LIVE AND LEARN. It was so absolutely heartfelt, that I just...I can't even?? It reminded me of Fangirl all squished with Kindred Spirits and Queens of Geek and I loved it. NERDOM APPRECIATION FOR THE WIN.

Now I assume the fandom they were cult following was like a Star Wars spin off? Maybe?? I wouldn't have a clue, not knowing anything
Wendy Darling
So. Much. Fun.

This super cute Cinderella-goes-to-Geeky-Con story is probably closer to a 3.5 in terms of merit because I think it could have been even better (view spoiler), but it is such a cute and enjoyable read, it gets roun
Shreya (☆High Lady of The Night Court☆)
“We’re all geeks here”

A love story most unlikely, a friendship most unexpected and a story inevitably beautiful. The horrors of being tied to a stepmom who hates you. The shackles that come along with fame. The tug of the familiar, the nervousness of taking risks. I can't help but fall in love with dreams.

In this book we follow two characters, Danielle Wittimer who is the biggest fan of the Starfield series and grew up with it, and Darien a teen actor who just scored the lead role in the remak
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
How sweet was this =) ♥

When I first started reading the book I wasn't so sure and then it started to get to me.

It was a sweet little book about a fandom, some sweet friends, and a retelling of sorts.

Elle lives with her jerk of a stepmother and her two daughters. Elle and her father (when he was alive) were big fans of the show, Starfield. They were geek fans together. I love that. But living with the horrible stepmother is not the greatest thing now that Elle's father is dead.

Elle works on a
Melanie
ARC provided by the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

This was so surprisingly delightful, and made me so unexpectedly emotional. Everyone knows the story of Cinderella, but this modern day retelling feels and was actually able to evoke quite the feelings from me. This is a heartwarming story and if you consider yourself nerdy whatsoever, don't let this book pass you by.

I obviously feel confident saying I'm a pretty geeky individual:
Video Games? I've been raiding for o
Maureen
Jul 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
THIS BOOK WAS EVERYTHING.

Well I wasn't expecting to finish this book four hours after I started it but here we are. I loved EVERYTHING about this book. The nerdiness. The cons. The CHARACTERS. Basically it took my favorite things from other Cinderella retellings and wrapped them into one, PLUS EVEN MORE.
I love that it's told from dual perspective and tackles (even in passing) issues like "fake geek girls" and people not understanding how much you love something that's nerdy and your favorite thi
may ❀
Buddy read with Skam trash

You would THINK that a book with an adorably epic cover, relatable geek plot, and is a retelling of a v famous story would STEAL my heart and win me over instantly. . .

. . . but you didn’t consider this book.

description
Things this Book Got Right:
- Girl friendship
- The beauty of geeking over something and blogging about it
- The calamity that is chores
- Diets
- Siblings who touch your stuff
- Geek cons

Things this book got WRONG
- Darien’s insured abs
- Yes, you read that co
Natasha Polis
Jan 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A love letter to fandom! Super cute, super corny, but all around a story for young readers to love.

Some of the dialogue was super cringe, and I'm not always a fan of "movie star" characters. But it's fiction so you just have to go with it. I'm here for the 15 year old fangirl who would have died to read this book!
Samhita Peechara {Multi Dreamer}⚔
Rating: 5⭐
Reread update: I love this book sooo much! I thought I'd get bored during the reread but it wasn't like that at all. Read this if you haven't already.. Its bound to make you happy.

This book just made my favorites list. I usually don't read books from the contemporary genre but after reading this one I started experimenting with the genre more and realised, surprisingly, that I actually really enjoy it. If you have any problems with starting this genre like I did then definitely read th
Mischenko
Jan 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is such a cute and clever story!

Ever since Elle was little, she’s loved a Sci-Fi TV series called Starfield. Her parents also loved the show and her dad actually started a convention called ExcelsiCon for the fans. Now, there’s a Starfield reboot with new actors and a chance to enter a cosplay contest. Winners of the contest will get a chance to attend the ExcelsiCon Ball and meet the new actor playing the part of Prince Carmindor. Elle knows she must enter the contest because she’s an ulti
Lola
GEEKERELLA is a charming book very reminiscent of CINDER & ELLA. The similarities are evident, so if you’ve read that book, this one may not impress you, but still, it is a pleasant read.

It’s simply not my kind of read. Well I did enjoy it, because it’s close to impossible for me to dislike a fairytale retelling, though it’s definitely not the type of book I will want to reread in the future.

Because I just can’t believe in falling in love through the phone. There are certainly a lot of thin
Claudia Ramírez
Jun 17, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
3.5 stars.

AWWW this was cute (it was SO CHEESY, tho). And I didn't believe the "falling in love" part, but I'll explain that in my wrap up :).
Maram
I had high expectations for this and even though it hasn't been met, I still thoroughly enjoyed it :')

Bonnie Shores
Aug 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: geek-love
I LOVED this book soooooooooooo much!!!😍 I mean, I totally identified with Elle and her devotion to Starfield, the short-lived TV series that spawned a generation of superfans (which is exactly what happened with Star Trek, my first—and still—love).

I jumped at the opportunity to visit a Star Trek Enterprise replica set and totally geeked out with other fans. (above) I even attended the San Diego ComicCon a couple of years ago and snapped a quick pic with a Captain Kirk wannabe. I, however, re
Berit☀️✨
5 Geeky Starfield Stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

This book was just SO adorable!

I am not a super fan of anything or part of any type of fandom.... especially not anything involving the word star.... but that did not matter at all this book was a lot of fun.... a very well done retelling of Cinderella with a modern twist...right down to the pumpkin food truck....

Elle was such a fabulously likable character.... even though she and my teenage self had very little in common I still found her so Real and relatable.... D
Aj the Ravenous Reader

A fun Cinderella retelling. It’s geeky and current. I liked the twists and how the familiar elements were wittingly spun into a contemporary Cinderella story. The sci-fi bits and the cos-play were a lot of fun although at some point, the plot kind of dragged a bit for me but it was still a generally enjoyable read.
Heather
4.50/5 stars!
What an adorable book this was!!! Loved the nod to Cinderella & how the author Incorporated fangirls and fandoms in it! Loved it!
Kathryn
A book steeped in fandom and set in Charleston, SC? Yes, please! Seriously, Ashley Poston’s Geekerella has ME written all over it. You’ve got my parents’ hometown (Charleston) combined with a fairy tale retelling (one of my fave subgenres) infused with a fandom-centric plot. Be still my nerdy soul!

As fandom becomes increasingly mainstream more books are being published featuring this unique culture. And what’s better, they’re representing it WELL. Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell and Eliza and her Mon
Em Lost In Books
Another cute retelling. This time it is Cindrella in the modern world of fandoms and teen heartthrobes.
Dana Kenedy (Dana and the Books)
Geekerella was adorable! I'm always okay with cosplaying sci-fi nerds
Emer
My feelings while reading this book can best be explained by what this guy just went through:

OUCH!!!!

Oh gosh this was painful! To start with the writing felt very stilted to me. There was no easy flow. It read quite awkwardly I thought. The main characters in the book all had a sort of pantomime-esque vibe going on that also really didn't work for me. This was supposed to be a contemporary right?? Therefore, you'd think that some realism was required!!! And overall it was just an incredibly unim
Anja
Mar 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*4 FANGIRLING STARS*

"Look to the stars. Aim. Ignite."

Oh my fangirl heart, this was so adorable!
After Ready Player One, I've finally found another book that made my nerdy self rejoice!
This actually reminded me of Cinder & Ella from Kelly Oram, another book that I really liked last year, even though this one was way more geeky and because of that I actually enjoyed this one a lot more.
Because this is a Cinderella retelling, we all knew beforehand how it was going to end, but nonetheless I w
Isa Cantos (Crónicas de una Merodeadora)
"We might not know much about each other, and I might not be there, and you might not be here, but I'm glad to share this sky with you. Maybe we should start looking up together, ah'blena".

Ay, dioses, Geekerella es todo lo que está bien en el mundo. Es de esos libros que quiero abrazar, que me dejan suspirando, creyendo en el amor y soñando que algún día conoceré a alguien tan geek como yo y nuestra manera de decirnos "te quiero" será "After all this time? Always".

En este retelling de Cenicient
Emma
Jul 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I expected this book to be relatable, but not on such a deep level. I actually cried in one scene which yes, I know I cry a lot in books, but hardly EVER in contemporaries. Plus, the entire thing is a shoutout to nerd culture and fandoms. If you need something that will make you smile, this ones for you.
ambsreads
3.5 Stars

Okay, so, this wasn't the best book I've read. It was cheesy, it was cringe worthy but it was cute. I was happy for the main characters and despite the cliche story I did find myself grinning from ear to ear in some parts.

Full review? More like bullet point thoughts;

- basically A Cinderella Story
- the one with Hillary Duff
- that's the name right????
- but almost EXACT
- weird pumpkin food truck = the diner
- shitty step sisters and shitty step mum
- popular boy is secretly nerdy?
- G
Hamad
Actual rating: 3.75 stars

“My dad said that the impossible is only impossible if you don’t even try. So I want to try.”
RTC...

Cinderella was one of the first stories I have ever read, it will always have a special place in my heart. Let's put that aside and go into my analytical thinking:

💊 This was cute, I didn't have high expectations but it was cute and I like how the re-telling elements were folded up.

💊 The writing style was mediocre to be honest and the Batman thing was a bit ... annoying?

💊 M
Lara (Bookish_turtle)
This was the best contemporary, cutest romance, and most adorable thing I read in 2017. It was absolutely perfect! The geekiness and cuteness and just everything! IT WAS INCREDIBLE!

The fangirling was so relatable. Elle was so relatable. It was brilliant!

And the fandom references! They were everywhere and they were perfect! Doctor Who and Star Wars were my faves, but all of them were brilliant. Maybe I'll reread this later after joining more fandoms and pick up on even more of them. I honestly am
alexandra ling
GEEKERELLA was a combination of all my favorite things: anonymous messages, fairy-tale retellings, and fandoms. it was so fun to read and i loved everything. :''')
  • Speak Easy, Speak Love
  • Chaotic Good
  • Foolish Hearts
  • Prince in Disguise
  • Starry Eyes
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • The Only Thing Worse Than Me Is You
  • The Enchanted Sonata
  • Queens of Geek
  • The Summer of Jordi Perez (And the Best Burger in Los Angeles)
  • Now a Major Motion Picture
  • I Believe in a Thing Called Love
  • Zodiac Starforce Volume 2: Cries of the Fire Prince
  • The Geek's Guide to Unrequited Love
  • Shuffle, Repeat
  • Public Relations
  • Under the Lights (Daylight Falls, #2)
  • The Epic Crush of Genie Lo (The Epic Crush of Genie Lo #1)
Ashley Poston’s is a part-time author and full-time fangirl. She was born in rural South Carolina, where you can see the stars impossibly well...

Tweet her at @ashposton and read her inner-most rambles at www.ashposton.com.

Once Upon a Con (2 books)
  • The Princess and the Fangirl