Start by marking “The Bodies Left Behind” as Want to Read:
The Bodies Left Behind

The Bodies Left Behind

When a night-time call to 911 from a secluded Wisconsin vacation house is cut short, offduty deputy Brynn McKenzie leaves her husband and son at the dinner table and drives up to Lake Mondac to investigate. Was it a misdial or an aborted crime report?

Brynn stumbles onto a scene of true horror and narrowly escapes from two professional criminals. She and a terrified visitor
Published November 11th 2008 by Simon & Schuster

To ask other readers questions about The Bodies Left Behind, please sign up.
Amy Ingalls Now that you put it like this, you're right-- that makes absolutely no sense. It is what she says though-- he got mad about taxes, threw a bunch of…moreNow that you put it like this, you're right-- that makes absolutely no sense. It is what she says though-- he got mad about taxes, threw a bunch of papers, attacked her, then got shot in his vest.(less)
Shivanka wrong assumption. the book clearly states that a lot of people wanted hart dead so he might have been murdered by one of those people.

Start your review of The Bodies Left Behind
Tim
May 17, 2019 rated it it was ok
This story is all over and would be better without brat stepsons, other whiny children and cheating husbands who needlessly interfere with some solid plot lines. 5 of 10 stars
Supratim
Jeffery Deaver writes really good thrillers and I had high expectations form this book. I thoroughly enjoyed most of the book and while in the beginning I had made up my mind that the novel merits a four star. Only towards the end I decided that this one is going to get a three star.

This is a stand alone thriller where the protagonist, Deputy Brynn responds to a 911 call from an isolated vacation house only to come across two cold-blooded killers- Hart and Compton, who had killed the couple in
Dec 01, 2008 rated it did not like it
Rob
Oct 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A stand alone novel by Jeffery Deaver first published in 2008.

A classic tension packed cat and mouse thriller.

The local police gets a 911 call that says “the” nothing else just “the”. The call is from a mobile phone; sorry that should in the American vernacular; cell phone. By lengthy inquiries they are able to pin point where the call originated. It came from an address that’s nowhere near anywhere, at least an hour from the nearest town. The chief of police decided that someone should go and
martin
Aug 08, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
One to be read only if (a) you've nothing much else to read and (b) someone else paid for it and left it on a train....

Amazing research work perhaps, but the story fails on so many levels as soon as you start thinking about it (I know, that's always a dangerous thing to do with authors who churn out so many books in such a short period, but I just can't help it).

Someone else here mentioned the repetitive nature of the chase through the forest - and another person commented on the weird ability
Cathy DuPont
Aug 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Every time I was steered one way, Deaver within a page or two, steers me another way.

Bad guys turn with the turn of a page, into good guys. Same with good guys.

And this was throughout the book including the last page.

I've read a couple of Jeffery Deaver's novels but due to this one, I'm increasing my consumption because it was so, so good.
K.D. Absolutely
Solid storytelling. After all, Jeffery Deaver is not called "master of deception" for nothing.

Basically, a "cat-and-mouse" story but Deaver was very clever to put in twists and turns that you would find this book hard to put down. What makes this suspense thriller engaging is that the detective is a woman named Deputy Brynne McKenzie and she has another woman as companion mouse Michelle a sort of bystander because she happened to be in the crime scene when the deputy responded to 511. The two
Paul
May 02, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: crime
Stand alone thriller that ultimately struck me as rather lazy. The protagonist is a female police officer in a small town. She has the standard type family problems with a few gaps in her past where the author can insert things of interest to move the story along later in the book.
She is responds to a routine looking call out in a remote area of her patch. She finds two bodies and disturbs two miscreants. She manages to lose gun, cell phone, access to car etc and picks up a stray female who
Christa
Feb 17, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: library
This was the first Jeffery Deaver book that I have read, and it will definitely not be the last. I found myself engrossed in this book from the beginning, and I did not want to put it down. I enjoyed the suspenseful storyline, and was surprised by a couple of unexpected plot twists. Brynn McKenzie was a great heroine, a strong, resilient sheriff's deputy whose intrepid acts in her professional environment do not carry over into her personal life. I also enjoyed the character of Brynn's husband, ...more
Chris Neal
May 13, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: jefferydeaver
This one was very unlike the Jeffery Deaver I'm used to. It wasn't as exciting, suspenseful, or interesting as his books usually are. In fact, it was downright boring and VERY slow in some parts. About 70 percent of the book just feels like it's dragging. I understand the whole "cat and mouse" hunting thing will mostly be description, but there are ways to write a book like this more interesting (see Dean Koontz's "Intensity").
This? Fairly uneventful and just tedious a bit. Plus an ending that
Terri
A deputy takes a call along a remote lake after a 9-1-1 call that was disconnected. She goes and finds two bodies and is being hunted by the killers. She an another victim are playing cat & mouse games in the remote state park trying to evade the killers and survive. A clever, suspenseful chase. Then the books turns on a dime and things change. Loved it!
Buck
Nov 17, 2009 rated it it was ok
Normally I enjoy Jeffrey Deaver's work. Unfortunately in The Bodies Left Behind he let me down. The book begins when an off-duty deputy stumbles into a "hit" that seems connected to a union organizer.

Our heroine quickly finds herself on the run from the hitmen and meets up with another woman in the woods who presents herself as a house guest of the victims who managed to escape after wounding one of the gunmen.

The bulk of the book follows their efforts to elude the criminals and flee through the
Kathleen
Aug 05, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kathleen by: the gullible who want a thriller
I was pretty disappointed with this. JDeaver has a great talent for twists & typically does research (or so it seems to me)so his details ring true.
Not this time.
City hitmen & country cops found their way thru state park forests at night - bumping into clues in the most amazing ways. Oh, and they could see amazing distances (at night, no special scopes) some that I would be hard pressed to pick out in the Daytime.
And rattlesnakes are just NOT going to be active in WI in April. Not.
Maybe
Barbara
Mar 11, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Steve, Maria, Kelly and Susan- any suspense lovers
Shelves: mystery
Brynn McKenzie, a deputy police officer in a rural Wisconsin town, is called upon to investigate a questionable 911 call. She travels to an isolated home at the edge of the Marquette State Park, a huge area, with thick forests, lakes, streams and formidable cliffs. When she arrives at the home, she is confronted with a bloody murder scene and worse. Her problems have barely begun!
Jefferey Deaver has spun a suspenseful tale with many unexpected twists and turns occuring throughout the narrative-
Jenn
I haven’t read a Deaver book in a long long time. It was a nice stand alone novel with some interesting characters. But it dragged on a lot. And ended up bizarrely. When the run through the Forest was over I couldn’t figure out why the story wasn’t over. There was a humdinger of a twist, that’s why. Wonder if there’ll be another story and whether I’d read it with all the usual suspects from this tale.
Katt
Oct 31, 2013 rated it it was ok
Honestly, it wasn't that bad. I liked the beginning, but once all the twists start coming it it starts to get repetitive and silly. How many twists does one book need? I usually like twists, but in this book they just didn't do it for me. When authors have twists, I should be going "Oooooh! Wow! Holy moly my mind is blown!" I should be excited and intrigued. In this book there weren't moments like that. When I read the twists, I was more likely to be going, "What?" "Umm, okay." "Does this really ...more
Monika
Mar 19, 2010 rated it it was ok
This was a pretty disappointing book in comparison to Deaver's other novels. I'm a big fan of his twist-and-turn plot lines, and while I don't care for the profanity he puts in his books, they usually keep me on the edge of my seat. He has some of his characteristic plot twists, but overall it's a lame plot and the ending is pretty non-climactic. Probably the worst Deaver book I've read, although some people might enjoy this.
JaVone Bentley
Feb 17, 2016 rated it liked it
Now this is how you write a thriller!!! I am adding Jeffrey Deaver to my author's list. Reading this book was like watching a good suspense movie. The only reason that I rated it kind of low is that there were some slow moments that did could have been left out. Otherwise this book kept me on the edge of my seat; and just when I would start to get comfortable there would be another twist. I highly recommend it! ...more
Whit
Aug 14, 2009 rated it did not like it
I will never read another Deaver book. Always disappointed. It felt as if Deaver wrote this novel for the sole purpose of relating tricks he learned as a boy scout. I was bored stiff.
It was scary nor suspenseful when it desperately wanted to be.
Chava
Jul 05, 2016 rated it did not like it
I....just....can't.
This was too boring for me. I got about 150 pages in, but it just doesn't keep my interest.
Given up
Lee Alex
Nov 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My first Jeffrey Deaver read and I loved every page. Has you on the edge of your seat and just when you think you’ve worked out what’s going on, the plot shifts.
bookczuk
I recently went on a trip and packed three books to read. Each one got cast aside for one reason or another, and I was left book-less (or at least as book-less as someone with 17 shelves of books in a mountain cabin be.) This one had been given to us a while back by a friend, recommended particularly for my husband, who had read it, enjoyed it and put it aside. ((I just read an article that the art of sentence diagramming is dying, which, as I wrote that last sentence, made me particularly sad.) ...more
Aspoon
Apr 07, 2014 rated it did not like it
- 1st pet peeve is in the beginning…even though the town was small the police dept who answered the 911 call were clueless and worthless. By the time they gather up information on a simple 911 call, the people would have died…then it would be like what’s the point of even having a 911 if they aren’t good at their jobs.
- I also didn’t buy the fact these “killers” who unexpectedly come upon Michelle and her husband in this cabin…decide to chase after Brynn and Michelle instead of just running and
stephanie
Dec 07, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: trashythrillers, 2009
so the thing is that i really liked brynn, a lot. and the twist! deaver does twists like no one else. i mean, they come when you least expect them even AFTER you know that he's the master of deception.

the other characters were okay, i suppose i could have done with out graham and joey - but they did flesh brynn out, so that was helpful. brynn's "partner" is possibly the best part of the whole thing, but i don't want to spoil anything, because this is definitely a ride worth taking.

it does get
Strawberry Fields
Apr 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
I see some pretty negative reviews on here, but I disagree.

This book was a great thriller. It is a stand alone novel, not part of the Kathryn Dance or Lincoln Rhyme series. It was twists and turns at every corner. I never knew what was up or who to trust. Great page turner, I read it in a single day. I was sick and couldn't get much else done, but it took my mind off my physical ailments for awhile.

If you don't want to commit to Deaver's series books, several books in each series, this is a
Frederick Masterman
Feb 26, 2009 rated it it was ok
Although I am a Jeffery Deaver fan, and have thoroughly enjoyed the many other books he has written, this story fell flat. I got none of the tension, conflict, and fine character development of his other books. What happened? Though tense situations were set up, and the protagonist put in terrible danger, caring about her just didn't get across. The villains are one-dimensional, the soap-opera subthemes of the protagonist's family life are poorly described and provide no power either. I remain ...more
Chaitra Chowdhary
He has a nack of keeping his readers on the edge and doesn't give away any clue about the end but storyline kinda predictable for does who re avid readers of mystery murders. But the problem arises with unnecessary background story of the cop. The last few chapters are really good but the annoying steps son and the cheating husband is just too much baggage. It feels like the inside story is written to trigger someone's concious and accuse them indirectly.
Juli
Feb 19, 2018 rated it liked it
I like Deaver most of the time. This book had some interesting characters and the twists and turns actually didn't jump out right away so a good surprise is always nice. What I didn't like however is that in the end, the main character who is a woman was portrayed as someone who owed her ex an apology even though he was the one who abused her. He may have redeemed himself but I thought that part was a bit of misogyny coming thru. Otherwise entertaining.
Jody Ellis
May 25, 2016 rated it liked it
Things didn't really sit right, the characters didn't make enough sense. For a cop she seemed pretty clueless and what kind of cop runs and can't take down the criminals?

The end twist at the end... Well what I thought was the end but wasn't.... made up for things and whilst it isn't as good as the other book I've read from this author, it still wasn't awful. Not too shabby for a short story.
Carolyn (in SC) C234D
I thought this was a very good mystery/thriller, about a female Wisconsin deputy sheriff who goes to check out a hang-up 911 call. She finds bodies and killers, and through her ingenuity she manages to get home alive eventually. But in this story, things are not always as they seem. An interesting main character.
♥ Nothing Better ...: The Bodies Left Behind - August 2018 2 15 Jul 30, 2018 07:17AM
I'm on the edge of my seat 2 9 Feb 20, 2016 10:35PM
What's the Name o...: SOLVED Mystery/Murder [s] 4 36 Apr 14, 2013 06:58AM

• Hell's Kitchen (John Pellam, #3)
  • Bloody River Blues (John Pellam, #2)
  • Shallow Graves (John Pellam, #1)
  • First, Kill the Lawyers: A Holland Taylor Mystery
  • The Run (Will Lee, #5)
  • You're Mine Now
  • Second Wind
  • One Last Scream
  • The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society (LARGE PRINT)
  • Kráska a netvor
  • Send No Flowers (Bed & Breakfast #2)
  • American Bloomsbury: Louisa May Alcott, Ralph Waldo Emerson, Margaret Fuller, Nathaniel Hawthorne, and Henry David Thoreau: Their Lives, Their Loves, Their Work
  • Touch & Go / Crash & Burn
  • The Damsel in This Dress
  • On, Off (Carmine Delmonico, #1)
  • Mucholapka
  • The Silent War
  • Shadow of Power (Paul Madriani, #9)
#1 international bestselling author of over thirty novels and three collections of short stories. His books are sold in 150 countries and translated into 25 languages. His first novel featuring Lincoln Rhyme, The Bone Collector, was made into a major motion picture starring Denzel Washington and Angelina Jolie. He's received or been shortlisted for a number of awards around the world.
“She was reflecting back on a truth she had learned over the years: that people heard what they wanted to hear, saw what they wanted, believed what they wanted.” 112 likes