Start by marking “Darksoul (Godblind #2)” as Want to Read:
Darksoul (Godblind #2)

Darksoul

(The Godblind Trilogy #2)

The thrilling sequel to GODBLIND, the biggest fantasy debut of 2017.

The Red Gods have risen.

Anna Stephens’s second novel continues the stories of Rillirin, Crys and Dom as they fight to defend the kingdom of Rilpor from the brutal Mireces.

Published August 14th 2018 by Talos (first published May 21st 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Darksoul, please sign up.
Tanchen Darksoul is available through Goldsboro Books. I just placed my order :)

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
First off:

*69,542 stars for the freaking cover!! Gahhhh! And I got my signed/numbered edition with blue sprayed edges. Oh yeah! See pic below!

I loved both books pretty much the same! It's all gruesome (well, not all gruesome), and evil people out the wazoooo!! I'm looking forward to the next book already. Lol.

Happy Reading!

Mel 🖤🐺🐾
Lou
Sep 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
'Darksoul' is the compelling and eagerly anticipated sequel to 'Godblind', and as this begins exactly where the previous book concluded, I recommend reading it before you start this one, it will leave you rather perplexed otherwise as it doesn't work as a standalone. If you thought 'Godblind' was a fantastic read, then let me tell you - this is even better! This is an action-packed journey that will stay with me a long time.

The brutal, gory and evocative battle scenes continue in this novel, as
Stephen Robert Collins
The cards have been spread the chariot rides towards the fool as the tower falls & Hierophant looks down upon Death the ten of swords cutting back the soldiers unto the Darksoul.
The king is dead the war goes on everybody loses.
The biggest problem with this book is it is exactly the same as Godbind I am not saying it's not brilliant because it is, its violent, savage,brutal but War is. This well written & dark ghostly with the religions of evil as the Gods are in control over this fantasy
Mogsy (MMOGC)
Dec 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
4 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2019/01/07/...

So, Anna Stephen’s debut Godblind was a book I had mixed feelings about. I wasn’t even sure I was going to be continuing with the series, but when the publisher unexpectedly sent me the sequel Darksoul, I decided to go for it. After all, despite my issues with the first book, I also felt it was solidly written and the trilogy showed immense potential to develop into something more. I didn’t want to write it off completely.
Bethan Hindmarch
Aug 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
Oh she's done it to me again. My Dark Lady has taken me, guided my feet upon this path, nurtured my love for these people, my deep-seated care for them; and shredded it all into tattered ribbons... it's exquisite agony and I didn't expect anything less.

After falling madly deeply in love with Godblind earlier this year, Darksoul was certainly my most anticipated book for 2018.
I can categorically state: it did not let me down.

I suppose you want to actually know something about the book?

It will de
Adrian Collins
Aug 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
originally posted on Grimdark Magazine.

Darksoul is Anna Stephens’s taut follow-up to Godblind and the second volume in the Godblind Trilogy. With a desperate siege and angry gods, this installment shrinks the geography and increases the tension. The characters are really put through the ringer, and not all of them make it out alive.

The ruthless Mireces have joined forces with Prince Rivil and the newly converted East Rank of Rilpor’s army to lay siege to the city of Rilporin. King Rastoth is slo
Kitvaria Sarene
Wow. I'm almost speechless...
I already loved Godblind - but Darksoul is even better!

This one is a rollercoaster of a ride. Anna Stephens manages to balance just enough hope to keep you invested with utter bleakness and many deaths and unexpected turns and twists. Nobody is save in this series - and yet not everyone gets killed off and there's still always a glimmer of hope. It just HAS TO work out in the end - doesn't it? At least you are glued to the pages waiting to see and hoping. Always hopi
Suzanne
Sep 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Non stop action and adrenaline from start to finish! I do not exagerrate. Darksoul covers the siege and battle for Rilporin. And no-one is safe. I have run the gamut of emotions from shock and awe to anger and heartbreak. Throw in some astonishing moments of exhilaration and I can tell you I am absolutely exhausted! What a ride!

Go and read this I dare you!
MeaganCM
Sep 05, 2018 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I can't find this at my local library 😭😭. So I will be buying this, this weekend! Can't wait to start!
J.P. Ashman
Sep 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Review to follow...
Kareem
Aug 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An unrelenting, heart-hammering, merciless thrill ride!

Darksoul is the second book in the Godblind Trilogy, and what a book it is!

It picks up Godblind’s bloodied reins and digs its spurs in, sending us galloping down a dark road and testing the strength of our resolve (as well as the strength of our stomachs…). But don’t be put off by that, because there is so much more to Darksoul’s pages than its dark tone. Anna Stephens injects so much emotion into the story and its characters, she makes yo
Miriam Michalak
Nov 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Phew, wipes blood & gore from face. That was a blood-fest!
Anna Stephens
Oct 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Yes this is my book - I'm awarding the stars to the excellent narrator Maggie Ollerenshaw, who has once again done a spectacular job in bringing my characters, settings and worlds to life. Her narration as the Dark Lady is simply sublime - and terrifying.
She also teased out the humour in the bleakest setting and the love among the hatred, and I'm so thankful she's narrating this series.
Simon Howard
Sep 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Darksoul, my review.
If possible Darksoul is even bleaker than its predecessor Godblind.... With the action centering on the seige of Rilporin. As the Red God worshipping Mireces and the forces of the traitor prince Rivil try desperately to force their way in using both guile and muscle, it's left to commander Durdil to keep them out at all costs.
With the story told from multiple points of view there was a danger that pacing might have suffered, but this is not the case... If anything the tension
Katrina Evans
Aug 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is incredible, I loved every traumatic second of it.

I know I don't have the vocabulary to convey how good this book is but I'll try...

Anna Stephens has done a phenomenal job of making the reader feel invested in each and every character. I cried at the death of minor characters, I cried at the sacrifice of unnamed soldiers and I cried at every heart wrenching, impossible thing that Mace had to endure. In short - I cried throughout most of the book. I also cheered, wailed and winced s
Ida Keogh
Oct 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Anna Stephens pulls no punches in this spectacular sequel to Godblind. The action focusses on Rilporin, where the forces of the Red Gods hold the city under siege. My favourite characters were in a fairly sorry state at the end of the first tome (those still alive, at least) and there was an anxious wait to see how the cliffhangers would resolve. It’s not much of a spoiler to say that this, like Godblind, is not a particularly happy tale for all concerned. It’s barbarous, bloody, heart rending a ...more
Philip Dickens
Sep 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The short version of this review: OMFG! Where's the next one? I need it now!

Okay, calm. Take a breath.

Whew.

I'd started reading this slowly. Not because of anything to do with the book, but just because lots of travelling and work made it hard to get in the frame of mind to read. But I'm glad I forced myself to, as once I got over halfway through I found I needed to keep going until I was done.

Just like the first book in the series, Godblind, this story barrels forward at a mile a minute. You wou
Amanda J Spedding
Second books in trilogies can either make or break a series. With Darksoul, it definitely makes. The writing is evocative, the imagery superb, and the storytelling top class. Emotions? I felt them all. Cannot wait for the final in the series. Special shout-out to Tara's epic lesson in truth right at the end.
Jon Adams
Nov 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The only thing that would have made this better is a recap. It took a while to remember who everybody was.

Well done.
Felix
Oct 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wicked - Delusional and all out mad tale!
Ashleigh | Wild Heart Reads
Darksoul opens to a dramatic and dire scene. The fates of the Wolves and the West Rank are unknown, the Mireces and the traitorous East Rank lay siege to Rilporin and the King is dying.

"Being a consort to a warrior, even a war chief, was never to be my fate, just as being a farmer's wife was never yours. Women like us control the worlds in which we live. We mould the world to shape our wills; we are not moulded by it."

Darksoul was an intense, epic and wild second instalment of the Godblind t
Aug 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
ARC provided by Netgalley. All opinions are my own.

Holy mother-effing Lord, Darksoul was a good book. It was better than good. It was excellent. I had been excited to read it since I finished Godblind so when I saw it on Netgalley, I requested it immediately. I was that excited to read it. It did not disappoint.

For a book that pretty much spends the entire time set in a city under siege, Darksoul doesn’t half have a lot of stuff happen. Not to give too much of the plot away but I loved where it
Ruth Harwood
Nov 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved Godblind, so gave this a read and I love this too! A fabulous book of war, magic, good, evil and all greys in between, a fantasy novel that has shades of every war ever fought, where both sides think they're in the right and are willing to die for it. There will be more from Stephens, the story isn't finished, but this book finished at a point that the reader can feel happy they've come to a temporary conclusion until the next chapter is released.
Well-written, interesting characters, a fa
Patrick
Nov 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed Godblind but this was even better - a very dark and absorbing siege story, sitting within the overall story of gods / flawed characters / betrayal. It's ultra violent so don't expect elves and dragons - and has quite a few twists that I really did not see coming.

A good representation of men, women, and an author not afraid to explore homosexuality amongst its main characters means this book is lifted from being standard fantasy into something essential.
Sachin Dev
Dec 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is seriously an emotionally draining book. Leaves you zapped. I mean, technically it's one long helluva siege. Across multiple fronts. The shocks and surprise twists are just starting to wear off and my benumbed mind is just starting to function back normally. So will have to write a longer coherent review later. But it's bloody brilliant.
Nicole Sweeney
Aug 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Review originally posted on The Bibliophile Chronicles.

This is the highly anticipated sequel to Godblind – one of my favourite books of 2017. I was so excited to receive a copy of this book and I honestly couldn’t wait to dive in. After reading the opening chapter I was completely hooked and ended up devouring this book in a few sittings. It’s dark, bloody and gripping and I didn’t want it to end.

Darksoul picks up right where Godblind leaves off, the Mireces are attempting to lay siege to Rilpor
Brian
Oct 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good read and a good book for the Godblind series.. can't wait for Book 3 now!!!

Steve Cunningham
Ye Gods this is brilliant. Bloody, gory, brutal but brilliant. The whole novel is one long siege but by cripes it's good. Where do we go from here?
Annarella
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, edelweiss
An amazing and gripping fantasy book, a great discovery!
I loved everything in this book that is engaging, enthralling and a real page turner.
I didn't read the previous instalment but I will surely add it to my TBR list.
It was a great reading experience.
I loved everything from the world building to the characters, from the style of writing to the turns in the plot.
I look forward to reading the next instalment.
Highly recommended!
Many thanks to the publisher and Edelweiss for this ARC
Rosie
Sep 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Summary

Darksoul is the sequel to Anna Stephens’ 2017 novel Godblind. It picks up shortly after the cruel cliff-hanger ending of the first book and revolves almost primarily around the siege of Rilporin. It follows the characters we came to love (and hate) from Godblind, from both sides as the fight for the Kingdom of Rilpor comes to a head, characters start to step into their destinies and the Red Gods gain strength.

Plot

Whereas Godblind was fairly widespread, Darksoul ups the anti by creating a
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • We Ride the Storm (The Reborn Empire, #1)
  • The Tower of Living and Dying (Empires of Dust #2)
  • The Heart of Stone
  • Last Year, When We Were Young
  • The Emerald Blade (The Landkist Saga, #2)
  • The Bone Chime Song and Other Stories
  • Veiled Intentions (The Dragon's Blade, #2)
  • Cherry Crow Children
  • Caution: Contains Small Parts
  • Path of Night (Night Beast, #1)
  • Day Boy
  • Crow Shine
  • The Complete Morgaine (Morgaine Saga #1-4)
  • Ravencry (Raven's Mark, #2)
  • Insert Title Here
  • Cracklescape
  • The Chosen Seed (The Dog-Faced Gods, #3)
  • The Bitter Twins (The Winnowing Flame Trilogy #2)
Anna Stephens is a UK-based author of gritty epic fantasy. Her first two novels, Godblind and Darksoul, are published through Harper Voyager, with the final book in the trilogy, Bloodchild, coming in 2019. You can sign up to her newsletter here: https://anna-stephens.com/get-in-touch/

They say blood begets blood. In the country of Rilpor, if you spill enough of it, blood begets gods.

Anna has a BA

The Godblind Trilogy (3 books)
  • Godblind (Godblind #1)