Start by marking “The Culling” as Want to Read:
The Culling

The Culling

In a post-apocalyptic world run by the demons of hell, it is time for the next Middle Born generation to leave their city and take a perilous journey to reach Nirvana.
Promised safety from the darkness of this world, they are not prepared for what they are about to face both as a group and as individuals.
Their worlds survival rests on their shoulders but all is not as it se
ebook, First Edition, 219 pages
Published May 15th 2018 by Self Publish

To ask other readers questions about The Culling, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Culling

Start your review of The Culling
Dianne
Middle Child Syndrome finds perspective...and we discover there IS a purpose for having a Middle Child... in THE CULLING by Sian B. Claven. Demons have blanketed the Earth, their vile presence held at bay in small pockets or zones of followers of the Lord. Each year one zone will send all of the honored and cherished middle children to live with the Lord in Nirvana.

But how safe will their journey be once they have left the safety of the zone? Will only the truly faithful arrive in Nirvana? Will
Robyn
Jun 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Many years ago, earth as we know it ceased to exist. Demons opened the gates of Hell, killing and possessing seventy percent of the population. No one was safe from the demons. It looked as if the world was coming to an end, but the Lord stepped forward and sent humans the Elders. The Elders created safety zones for the last remaining humans. Here, humans were allowed safety to rebuild and multiply, but every year one zone was to send all the middle born children, between the ages of six and twe ...more
Karen - Kazza's Books Blog
Apr 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: beta-read
Ms Claven definitely knows how to write a great horror story. The Culling being her 4th published book is the best so far, in my opinion.

We are given generous amounts of gore and enough images to make you sleep with the light on.
The terror and chills that the story evokes is off the charts.
I have enjoyed every book that S. Claven has written and will be waiting with bated breath for her next thrilling read.
Alicia Freeman
Dec 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
On the edge of your seat

Middle borns are to go to Nirvana to be with the Lord. First borns have the family. Last borns are to care for the middle notes. Everyone has their place in the zones. Every twenty years the middle notes are sent out in search of Nirvana, but they must stay on the path.
Rosemary Zone is ready for their middle notes to leave. Elder Michelle has them all groomed and excited to go find Nirvana where they can go rest and be at peace. Along the way the group of middle born be
Toni Cox
May 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Oh wow! I know I keep saying it... but Sian B. Claven keeps getting better with every book.
This one is a little darker, a little scarier, and a little more complex than her previous works, and I loved it.
This book also has a bit of a dystopian feel to it and deals with a rather dark and twisted future. Reason I liked it? Because it rings true on so many levels. Want to see true humanity and how it could all turn out if we do not amend our ways? Go ahead, pick up this book and let Sian's twisted
Elaina
Apr 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
From the start, I knew there was something 'off' ... and of course that meant I scared the bejeezus out of myself in reading on! Had to find out the why, where, what and how! Absolutely scary, very clever and with a few twists that will have you breathless with anticipation.

Absolutely worth reading - grab a copy NOW
Lili  Marcus
Sep 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-reads, horror
#currently writing the review
Samantha
May 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book was dark and creepy right from the start. It had a mysterious feel and I was constantly wanting to know what was going to happen next to the Reclaimed. There were so many weird and freaky happenings, the story really kept me on edge. I liked the way it kept me guessing until the end. This was another great book by Claven.
Timo Raunio
This book has been told to be "The Horror book", but I was hoping to get something more than I got.

I´m a simple guy who likes to get back to reading, and was looking for something to set me off and really to sleep lights on.

The book is easy to read, the flow of the story is really straight forward. The skeleton of the story was good, but some more beef to the bone and it would have been 4 stars for me.
Melissa Hedrick
Wow!

First book read by this author, and I am totally speechless. It is an amazing horror story and I can't wait to see more from this author!
Jo-Anne Joseph
May 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It's no wonder she's earned the title of Queen of creep. Sian does not disappoint, she explores a depth of darkness that's both enthralling and terrifying. Her writing evoked terror and fascination. I highly recommend this book, to traditionally review, would be to spoil the experience. Five well deserved stars.
Dawn Yarrow
May 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was my first book by Sian and I went in blind, I did not read any synopsis or even look up other books by the author so I had no clue this was a Dystopia style book, I will point out that this is not my kind of genre, i am not a sci-fi fan at all and yet I give the book 4 stars! The author managed to hold my attention and keep me with the story. There was loads of twists and horror aplenty which I love. I did enjoy the book and would look at others from the same author.
 Charlie  ✰ WLTB Blog ✰
Apr 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc-from-author, 2018
Well, I didn't expect that. I really wasn't sure what to expect when I start this book.
But I loved it.

The Author knows how to make you want more and more. The story was good I didn't see that twist coming.
I love how the author draws you in and doesn't let go even at the end you just want to keep turning the pages. It was a great horror book it was spine-tingling the stuff that could possibly keep you awake at night or need a light on. Written very well and I can't wait to see what is next from S
Ona
Apr 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
When it comes to post-apocalyptic novels, few manage to retain the mystery and leave the readers questioning. Even fewer manage to throw horror and desperation into the mix. This is exactly what The Culling has managed to do. Author, Sian B. Claven, leaves the author wanting more, even after the dramatic plot twist. It has everything a great horror needs; suspense, drama, creepy monsters and children. For days after finishing The Culling, I was haunted by the characters, their stories, and their ...more
Taintedrose76 Christina
May 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love sain and her work
I wanted to be able to give this a 5 star review but it didn't keep me pulled in I am not sure however it was the book. I am not huge on things that praise "the lord" on either side and I think my lack of being pulled into this one is more the 7 commandment feel and not the writers lack of writing a great twisted story line which is why I kept it at a 4.
creepy factor also a 4.
Mary S.
Apr 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Ok wow what can I say about this book without giving to much away. It definitely was something so much going on that. I never imagine where the story was heading but I never see that ending coming either. I haven't read too many of horror stories the few I have I have not see this ability. I really don't know how to describe this book. The only thing I can say is Mrs Claven did an amazing job that I know the readers who love horror stories are definitely going to love this one.
Mckayla Van Wyk
Feb 23, 2020 rated it it was ok
The author’s story idea is definitely something unique and the stories are definitely interesting. But something that continues to bother me is the lack of proper editing. I’m not sure if that’s consistent in the other books but this one has MAJOR problems with how it’s edited layout and grammar wise. Although it may not be such a big problem to many people who read it, there are plenty people who would put the book right back on the shelf after skimming through the first few pages. She definite ...more
Sharon
Feb 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a brilliant book. I loved the plot and the characters, everything was so well described. This book is an amazing thriller/horror that kept me on the edge of my seat speechless at time! It constantly surprised me and then when I think I have it all figured out, there is another unexpected twist to it! I received a free copy of this book via Booksprout and am voluntarily leaving a review.
Tina
Jan 31, 2019 added it
I really enjoyed this story. Really good plot to the story. Very well written. Would highly recommend it to anyone who likes this kind of stories. Can't wait to read more from this author.

Theresa Ritchie
Nov 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Must read

Sian this book was amazing loved it was hooked from the start couldn't put it down once I started I highly recommend this book
Sian Claven
Nov 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: written
Sep 21, 2019
Laraphrase

• Cycle of the Werewolf
  • The Body
  • Revenge At Raleigh High (Raleigh Rebels, #2)
  • Alpha (Alpha, #1)
  • Conquering Chaos
  • Big Guns & Bullsh@t
  • Strong (Stage Dive, #4.5; 1001 Dark Nights, #88)
  • A Different Time
  • My Sweet GI
  • My Lady's Choosing: An Interactive Romance Novel
  • Cowboy's Touch (A Big Sky Short Story)
  • Sacking The Player
  • Diesel (Satan's Fury MC, #8)
  • Bride (Deceit Duet, #1)
  • Going Down Easy: A Rebel Wayfarers MC  Incoherent MC Crossover Novel
  • The Emporium of Fear: A Halloween Horror Anthology
  • Groom (Deceit Duet, #2)
  • 1922
Born in South Africa, in the heart of Johannesburg, Sian Claven grew up with a vivid imagination. When she wasn't immersing herself in books, she was actively creating her own stories.

At 29 years old, left to her own devices after her sister immigrated, Sian, wrote her first horror book Ensnared and dared to publish it under the guidance of indie authors Toni Cox and Ashleigh Giannaccaro.

Now she