Start by marking “All Else Is Bondage: Non-Volitional Living” as Want to Read:
All Else Is Bondage: Non-Volitional Living

All Else Is Bondage: Non-Volitional Living

4.36  ·  Rating details ·  64 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
These 34 essays, poems and dialogues based on Taoist and Buddhist thought constitute a guide to what the author calls non-volitional living - the ancient understanding that our efforts to grasp our true nature are futile.
Published August 16th 2004 by Sentient Publications (first published February 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about All Else Is Bondage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about All Else Is Bondage

D.K. Sale
Dec 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I found out I don't exist at all which is a huge relief.
Armand Cognetta
Jul 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
The author begins with a strong introduction underscoring the complexities of ego death and the need for a lucid treatise on the subject - and then immediately launches into the use of words like "obnubilation" and phrases such as "this-which-from-eternity-they-both-were", in a completely unironic manner.

There's also this, apparently insane, part:

"It is as it is. That is all you can say," and they are Maharshi's words.

Which means that there is no entity or object at all as such, not even ourselv
Galen Sharp
Jul 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The foundation of my intuitive research. Best little book I've ever read. With patients and a good dictionary this book can get you "there."
Sky Feather
Aug 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This small gem is utterly mind blowing. One of the most influential; far out pieces of human thought I have ever read! It also helped me in my process of detaching from the ego state and further to perceive in a deeper level my attachments and expectations. The day I began reading it, I stayed awake until 3 in the morning, devouring each phrase, each paragraph. I so much enjoyed reading this book!

The phenomenal subjective “reality”, helped me perceive “myself” as I truly am, that is, a vehicle o
Alexandru Jr.
May 31, 2012 rated it liked it
incearca sa impace advaita cu budhismul si cu taoismul, traducandu-le intr-un limbaj occidental.
nu exista un "sine" ca fenomen - ca obiect, ca ceva ce poate fi descoperit - pentru ca sinele e subiectivitate pura, e noumenal - si unic - si nu are atribute. nu e sinele "meu" sau "al tau", e ceva impersonal.
si toate obiectele sunt obiecte ale unei minti unice. care e universul insusi, care e "eu" - dar nu "eu, alex" sau "eu, x" - dar care e pur si simplu.
tot ce exista - totalitatea obiectelor - sun
Dec 19, 2010 rated it did not like it
Shelves: philosophy
I'd give this 1.5 stars. Couldn't finish it; I think this book obscures more than it allows one to connect with a harmonic universe. And I've decided to look elsewhere for my spiritual development. Maybe I'll return to it one day, after learning from other sources about the practice of what they are trying to tell me about.
Mar 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: advaita
Written with some heavy conceptual ideas and phraseology, yet one of the clearest and concise explorations into nonduality.
Nov 02, 2007 rated it liked it
there is little else i can say abut his book other than the sentaance below.. check it out good read

positive & negative are phenomenal concepts
we are not conceivable to all
Andrew Kryptonite
Jul 21, 2011
graham stew
May 14, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »
Terence James Stannus Gray, better known by the pen name Wei Wu Wei, was a 20th-century Taoist philosopher and writer. Terence James Stannus Gray was born in Felixstowe, Suffolk, England on 14 September 1895, the son of Harold Stannus Gray and a member of a well-established Irish family. He was raised on an estate at the Gog-Magog Hills outside Cambridge, England. He received a thorough education ...more
More about Wei Wu Wei...
“THIS which is seeking is THAT which is sought,
and THAT which is sought is THIS which is seeking.”