Start by marking “Harlow (Terms of Surrender #1)” as Want to Read:
Harlow (Terms of Surrender #1)

Harlow (Terms of Surrender #1)

"The plot twists are genuinely surprising, and the complicated relationships give this page-turner a touch of humor and a ton of drama." -KIRKUS REVIEW

Terms of Surrender is a story about when coming of age arrives late.

On Harlow Ausby’s fortieth birthday, she still feels as out of place in polished Charleston as the moon in a midday sky. From her strawberry-red hair to the
ebook
Published June 19th 2018 by Karyn Rae Publishing (first published May 11th 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Harlow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Harlow

S.M. Yair-Levy
Jun 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
FIVE SOULMATES STARS

This is the story of Harlow Ausby and Jade Ryan. They meet in their early twenties and right off the bat they’re inseparable. Except Harlow is the daughter of a prestigious family on the South of Broad in Charleston and Jade is from “Off”; a term used by residents for anyone living off the South of Broad. Despite Jade’s family still being well-to-do, Harlow’s mother Vivian cannot fathom her precious daughter dating anyone who isn’t of old money.

“I could sense her disappointm
Emily
Sep 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Harlow is a coming of age story about a woman who has just turned 40. Rae’s writing is beautiful and I truly enjoyed diving into the world she created. This book is self published and I hope you consider picking it up!
This story discusses themes of love, friendship, family expectations and self discovery. The plot is intriguing but it was the characters that really drew me in. I wanted to discover what would, and what had, happened to them. There is a wonderful dual time line in this book (I lo
Samantha March
Jun 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I have also read Karyn Rae’s debut novel, and was very much looking forward to start the Terms of Endearment series. Book one focuses on Harlow Ausby, and takes readers from the past to present. It was fascinating seeing Harlow as both a women about to turn forty, and a young girl growing up in a strict Southern household. Each clip from the past locks another puzzle piece into place for the story we’re getting in the present, and I found myself eagerly waiting for another flashback, trying to f ...more
Katherine Mary
Aug 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
First, I would like to thank Karyn Rae for sending my a copy of her beautiful book in exchange for a review. This is my first novel from this author, however, I am very much looking forward to reading more!

Terms of Surrender- Harlow tells the story of Harlow Ausby and Jade Ryan. They fall in love quickly while they're young, however, a series of events and family expectations drifts them apart. We follow Harlow through her younger years as well as her current situation at the hospital with over-
Heather❀Book and a Blanket❀
4.5 Stars

This was an amazing coming of age/women's fiction novel that focuses not only on a true love story but also explores the complex relationships of mothers and daughters and best friends.

I fell in love with this author's writing style! This was a beautifully written story set in the most exclusive area of Charleston. Harlow grew up in a household with a mother that taught her that appearances are everything and outsiders, people from the Off, who aren't at the top of the Charlestonian so
Thuy Taylor
May 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Harlow Ausby lived her whole life in what the 'true southern old money' upbringing. You intertwine yourself around people who are high in status, money, power. You marry into wealth and power. Jade Ryan is the opposite. With her and Jade Ryan, we get pure, sweet, unreserved, true love, but things happen, and they live almost 20 years without each other. It is heartbreaking, just downright heartsick. On her 40th birthday, everything is coming out. This story had so much depth. So many layers of s ...more
I don't think I'll ever be emotionally finished with this book. It is heart-crushing. It's also beautifully written, cleverly plotted, and perfectly paced. Somehow the author brought it all around to a romantic second chance HEA for the main couple and dispenses a whole lot of satisfying justice for the sphincter weasels who had created roadblocks for them.

The City of Charleston is a character in the book too. I've never been there, but I feel like I have been just from reading this book. The au
Jenny J (what.jenny.reads)
Jun 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Terms of Surrender by Karyn Rae

📚

First off thank you Karyn Rae, for sending me a copy of your beautiful book! I truly feel honored.

Meet Harlow. She's a sweet southern girl, born and raised to do what is right according to southern etiquette and of course, her momma. Even if it costs her the life she truly wants. And the man she loves.

Kayrn Rae's writing blew me away. Her mesmerizing prose and language sucked me in from the beginning of this novel. She has crafter a truly beautiful story with Harl
Fred Seaman
Jun 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Seven hours after the postman delivered Terms of Surrender I was drained. I had experienced feelings that I had never before been aware of, and was unable to tear myself away from the the emotions of the characters in this magnificent story. The beautiful setting in modern day Charleston, SC is wonderfully described and the characters in the story bring out emotions that need to be examined in all of us.
This is one of the best books to be written in our time.
Is it a chick's only book? I guess no
Mandi
Jun 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
I read 95% of this book on one evening. Maybe it was a case of "right book at the right time," but that wouldn't be giving the author enough credit. Wowzer! I really enjoyed it. Some of the storyline resonated personally, but also, indie author Karyn Rae is a helluva writer. (And a super sweet person!) With poised prose, just a smidge of fun smut, and a didn't-see-that-coming penchant for brutal twists, I am officially a fan.

Like it says on the cover, Terms of Surrender is the story of "When com
Courtney
Jun 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I read this book today, I couldn’t put it down! I loved the stories of each character and all their connections. I cannot wait to read more in this series! I have a special spot for some of the characters names in the book. Great read, spread the word!
Brittany&Elizabeth's BookBoutique
Brittany's Review

"The grapevine of gossip stretched far, and if you got caught up in it, it would hang you every time."

I decided to start this book while I was on vacation, and I could not put it down it was so interesting!  The way the whole book was written was very unique, it was really unlike anything I have read before.  What immediately attracted me to this book was that it was set in the South.  Being from the South, it always is an eye catching part of a book for me, so I was not disappo
Stephenie
Aug 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm honored whenever an author asks me to read their novel in exchange for an honest review. For one of those books to be so good I read it in two days, well that's just a delight. Thank you so much, Karyn Rae, for sending me a copy of your book!

SYNOPSIS
I love a good book set in the south. Originally from Oklahoma (which is in the South depending on who you ask), reading a book with Southern ties is something I will always enjoy. This book tells two stories of one person: Harlow at 20 years old
Andrea Robinson
Jun 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I purchased "Terms of Surrender" and then my daughter swiped it from me before I could even read it. In short, we both adored this book! I have now passed it on to my mother, and like us, she cannot put it down! To say it's the perfect summer read would be an understatement! If you are looking for something that takes you back to the thrills of first love, the delicate threads of mother/daughter relationships and everything in between, search no further.

In "Terms of Surrender" you are immediatel
Katie
Sep 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
This review was copied from my romance novel review blog: romanticallyinclinedreviews.com

Terms of Surrender: Harlow takes places over the course of one day. One entire love story wrapped up in a mere twenty-four hours. It's a style of romance novel that I've never read before and I enjoyed wondering how things would wrap up as I watched the hours tick by in the chapter headers.

This novel is a second chance romance between the newly forty, newly divorced Harlow and her best friend's husband, Jade
Sue
Jul 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: southern-fiction
This was my first book by Karyn Rae but it certainly won't be my last. This book had me interested from the first page and I had trouble putting it down until the end. I am thrilled to know that this is part of a series and can't wait to read the next book.

This novel - part love story, part family drama and part coming of age - is set in Charleston, SC, one of the most beautiful places in the world but also a city that until not very long ago had very rigid class settings between the rich and th
Brenda
Sep 25, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2018-books
Harlow is turning forty and on her birthday the final papers are signed for her divorce from a man she never loved. Her daughter is away at college and her mother is dying. Harlow has never felt comfortable with her mother or able to live up to the family name and their expectations. Now she is looking at her life with the help of Beth, the person who has worked for Harlow's family for years. She learns all that she has believed over the last forty years is no where near the truth. Now she must ...more
E S K
Jun 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I always hear people say, “I couldn’t put the book down”, but the pace is so fast in Terms of Surrender that you really can not stop reading. I don’t know how the author does it, but she has you on a roller coaster of emotions. Part love story, part suspense...so exciting to read. The author does an amazing job setting the scene and describing the characters, down to the most minute detail. This was a great book.
Inked Avenue
Jul 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
“The mind may go gray with age, but the heart never forgets.”

If I had to use one word to describe this novel, it would be gripping.
The depths and secrets that are weaved together to fill up the pages of this novel are breathtaking. Each chapter twisted the story and changed everything we thought we knew about the characters. It’s such a unique tweak on what I have come to expect from the contemporary romance genre.

I’m not going to go into too much detail about the book, I want everything to be a
Laura Worden
Jul 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Karyn Rae has outdone herself! What a great summer read!
Terms of Surrender is a page turner from start to finish. With lavish attention to detail, Rae transports you into the low country, inviting you into the complicated and oftentimes messy lives of a mother, daughter, and a best friend. This is one book that will keep you wanting more, the characters will leave an impression on your heart long after you’re done!
Cherryl
Jun 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Hands dow, my favorite read of the year! Terms of Surrender, Harlow is an intriguing novel! It has romance, mystery, sadness all rolled up in one story! Harlow was raised in true old-money in iconic Charleston, SC. The story starts in present time and then reverts back to her childhood, where you follow her true love. I couldn’t put it down!
Laurie Breitsprecher
Jun 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was the first book I have read by Karyn Rae, and it won’t be my last! I fell in love with Harlow and Jade! They are 2 tragically beautiful characters. There are so many plot twists I didn’t see coming, which made me not want to put the book down! Their story is so different than anything I’ve ever read. I can’t wait to read more from this author in the future!
Quinn
Aug 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I finished this book in one day. I just couldn’t put it down. Karyn has a way of drawing you in and you become invested in the lives of her characters quickly! I highly recommend this book. It carries you through each emotion and reminds you why our relationships with others are the most important part of our lives.
Suzanne (Lily)
Aug 11, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: r2r, second-chance
I was drawn to Harlow by the premise of a second chance romance that takes place in sync with the heroine hitting 40. It’s a time when possibilities and fun times are all there to be embraced. Add to the mix a marriage breakup and the story had the scope for a plethora of scenarios. Harlow’s story was a reflection on discovering the truths surrounding her past and appreciating the love and friendship that had endured.

The story begins in the present with Harlow visiting her mother in a hospital.
AbbeMonty
Jul 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018-books
I absolutely loved this book! From the deep character development to the feeling you were transported to Charleston, you will not be able to put this book down. Not to mention plot twists. I can’t wait for the next book!
Jodie- Readthewriteact
Jun 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was sent this book from the author for my honest review.

Romance is my go to genre for a comfort read and this novel was exactly what I was hoping for. I am a bit obsessed with Southern America. I have red a few novels in the past set in the south but I think Hart of Dixie cemented my love for all things southern. This book has all the drama that you would expect from a novel in that setting and characters that you will love.

This book is self published by its very talented author and it really
Tracy Hall
Jul 14, 2018
Trisha Davis
Aug 01, 2018
Brittany Elliser
Sep 26, 2018
Michele
Oct 21, 2018
The first part of Karyn's life was spent in the South, and the last fifteen years have played out in the Midwest, but she's still holding on to a shred of her Southern roots.
What She Loves:
Her family, friends, food- anything covered in cheese, reading, writing, vodka, music- the live variety, sarcasm, a strong curse word, college sports- especially the NCAA tournament (GO Tigers!), running- alth
“But the room was as empty as the heart that beat inside her chest.” 1 likes
“What about me? Will I have a flower on your arm one day?” “No,” he stated with confidence. I smacked his arm in jest. “Why not?” “Because…you get my heart.” 0 likes