Start by marking “The Sentence is Death (Hawthorne, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Sentence is Death (Hawthorne, #2)

The Sentence is Death

(Hawthorne #2)

3.97  ·  Rating details ·  14,014 ratings  ·  1,820 reviews
"You shouldn’t be here. It’s too late…"

These, heard over the phone, were the last recorded words of successful celebrity-divorce lawyer. Richard Pryce, found bludgeoned to death in his bachelor pad with a bottle of wine – a 1982 Chateau Lafite worth £3,000, to be precise.

Odd, considering he didn’t drink. Why this bottle? And why those words? And why was a three-digit numbe

Published November 1st 2018 by Cornerstone Digital

·  14,014 ratings  ·  1,820 reviews

Start your review of The Sentence is Death (Hawthorne, #2)
Annet
Yeah, great read! This author, I like him. Not per definition a crime reader I am, but from Magpie Murders I'm kinda hooked on Horowitz. Utterly entertaining. Witty, clever, easy read & 'whodunnit', though I did not see it all coming... 4.3 maybe more. Loved it. Let #3 on private investigator Hawthorne aka Holmes and his assistant 'Watson' come soon. This series is recommended!

Smooth-tongued divorce lawyer Richard Price is bludgeoned to death in his London home. What happened, who did it, and wh
BernLuvsBooks
Horowitz and Hawthorne are perfection together! I can't get enough of this series. I love how the author has put himself into the story as the narrator - the Watson to Hawthorne's Holmes or as I like to think of them, the Felix Unger to his Oscar Madison. Horowitz comes off as honest, sympathetic, earnest and willing to poke fun at himself. Hawthorne is decidedly uncharming, brash, politically incorrect and I kinda have a soft spot for him. There is definitely a back story there and I am here fo ...more
Beata
Jan 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
My second close encounter with Mr Horowitz was as good as the first one, and I'm already looking forward to another one. An enjoyable novel with a grand mystery and a bottle of a terribly expensive wine in the background.
Jaline
Nov 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the second in what is (at this point) a trilogy where Anthony Horowitz writes about a private detective named Daniel Hawthorne solving cases. The difference is that Anthony Horowitz is also in the books, and I still haven’t figured out if the stories are real with himself written in, or if they are invented with him imagining himself as a hard-nosed detective’s sidekick.

At one point in the book, Hawthorne lectures Anthony about the importance of visualizing the ‘shape’ of a crime – simil
Sumit RK
Jul 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Sentence is Death is the second book in the Private Detective Hawthorne series. If you have not read the first book of the series and have no idea what to expect (like me), this book will totally blow you away. The Sentence is Death is not a police procedural nor is it a thriller. It’s a good old murder mystery, much in the mold of Sherlock & Hercule Poirot, and that’s what makes it so special.

The Sentence is Death deals with the murder of celebrity-divorce lawyer Richard Pryce who is b
Liz
Jul 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audio, bestof-2019

Oh, how I love this series! For those of you that like audiobooks, it’s great intelligent entertainment. Horowitz blends in tales of filming Foyle’s War and writing the new Sherlock Holmes books in with the fictional murder at hand. Hawthorne and Horowitz are the perfect duo.

Horowitz has an amazing way with words. Given that I listened to this, I can’t give exact quotes. But his description of DI Cara Granshaw was amazing in its detail.

We still don’t learn much about Hawthorne’s personal life,
Phrynne
Jan 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5000-2019
Hawthorne is back with his rather abrasive personality and his undoubted skill at finding clues and solving cases. Horowitz features again as himself acting as Hawthorne's sidekick attempting to solve not one but possibly two murders.

Having the author actively involved in his own book makes for some interesting reading. Occasionally I sat back and wondered which bits were fact and which fiction, but in the end it really does not matter. The book is totally enjoyable and very easy to read. There
Linda
Keep in mind: One lie can ruin a thousand truths.

Anthony Horowitz opens the heavy wrought iron gates on another stellar mystery that feels circa 1930. Anthony becomes a key figure in his own novel as he takes on the role of himself. Horowitz, you see, is the famed writer of Foyle's War, an on-going successful television saga in the UK. He's in the middle of filming a crucial scene on the streets of London when a cab pulls up and spoils the shot.

Anthony recognizes the man who has just exited the
PorshaJo
Jul 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
I think this statement pretty much sums it up.... I love Anthony Horowitz. Ever since I read Magpie Murders I was hooked. I enjoyed Hawthorne #1 and couldn't wait to get this one.

Gist of the book, Daniel Hawthorne and his sidekick, the author Anthony, are at it again. Anthony is writing and involved in his 'movie/tv' life of writing. There is a murder and Hawthorne is picked to solve this crime as only he can. Many characters fleet in and out of this one. DI Cara Grunshaw, the nemesis to both w
Barbara
Jul 03, 2019 rated it liked it

In this 2nd book in the 'DI Daniel Hawthorne' mystery series, the consulting detective investigates the murder of a lawyer. The book can be read as a standalone.

*****

Daniel Hawthorne was a Scotland Yard Detective Inspector until he was fired for pushing a child molester down the stairs. Still, the Yard sometimes asks Hawthorne - who's essentially a modern day Sherlock Holmes - to consult on tough cases. Hawthorne's Watson-like sidekick and chronicler is Anthony Horowitz, a real-life aut
Gary
Dec 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is the 2nd novel in the Daniel Hawthorne, Private Investigator series by Anthony Horowitz.
I have not read the 1st book 'The Word is Murder' nor in fact any other books by this author but quickly realised once I started this novel that times were going to change. I was so impressed and enjoyed reading this book that I had already purchased a couple of the authors other books before finishing it.
For me the book had a feel of an older style of detective novel, maybe an Agatha Christie or more
JanB
What a terrific whodunit! This series is a homage to the Golden Age of mystery writers, although with a modern bent, and I loved every minute of it. It’s very clever how the author inserts himself into the story as the narrator, adds in tidbits from his real life, and pokes a little fun at himself, which makes this a fun, unique read.

Tony is an author hired to write a series of books about Daniel Hawthorne, a disgraced former police detective turned PI, and accompanies him as he works his cases
Carolyn
Sep 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
In the first book in this series, The Word Is Murder, Horowitz took the unusual step of placing himself in the book as the narrator, melding his real life with this fictional life as a writer engaged to write about PI Daniel Hawthorne's cases. This made for delightful and amusing reading as Horowitz stumbles through the case in the wake of Hawthorne's somewhat more astute detective work. I wasn't sure how well this would work in a second episode but am happy to report that if anything it worked ...more
Ova - Excuse My Reading
Nov 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Full review here

Sentence is Death starts with the murder of a divorce lawyer and Horowitz sets to write a second book of this case alongside working with Hawthorne. The victim had been threatened by a well-known, award winning and fiercely literary writer and his husband seems to be hiding things… Of course, there are also issues from the past that bubbles up in surface of the case. Who visited the victim before he died, and why is there a number on the crime scene?

This was such a fun read, and
Fran
Jun 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Carolyn
Dec 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the second in an innovative and clever mystery series by Anthony Horowitz, a follow up to the Word is Murder. The author inserts himself into the story, playing a bumbling companion to Private Detective, Daniel Hawthorne, a Watson to Hawthorne’s Sherlock. Hawthorne is a secretive, rude, and disgraced ex-policeman. He has been hired by the police as a consultant for his brilliant and superior deductive reasoning ability.

Hawthorne is working on the case of a wealthy divorce lawyer who was
NZLisaM
Nov 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Anthony Horowitz never disappoints!

Richard Pryce, a high profile divorce attorney, is murdered in his home, bludgeoned to death with a two thousand quid bottle of wine, which is strange in itself as the victim didn’t drink alcohol. Even stranger, written on the wall near the body are the numerals 182. What does the message mean? Hawthorne and Horowitz are called to investigate.

As per usual I was hooked from the onset, and couldn’t put the book down. Interesting and engaging characters, a suspec
Dianne
Jul 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: best-of-2019
Another winner from Horowitz - I love this series! It’s like I have Christie, Poirot and Hastings back together again......or Conan Doyle, Holmes and Watson!

So fun and very cleverly executed. I love how Horowitz makes himself a character in this series.

Highly recommend if you like British who-dunnits with style, smarts and humor. Or should I say “humour?”
Umut Rados
Nov 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Another witty crime book from Horowitz. If you liked The Word Is Murder, you will enjoy this one too. I thought it was better than the first, the case being more cohesive.
There were convenient coincidences after all, but still an enjoyable read.
Marialyce
Jun 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Looking for a great book to get us out of a bit of a rut, Jan and I decided to give The Sentence is Death a go. Happily we were very surprised and elated that the second book in the Hawthorne series became a favorite and brought us back to the days of a true and wonderful mystery story. Keep them coming Mr Horowitz, for we are anxious to see where you take yourself and Hawthorne next, for we are sure to follow.

Mr Horowitz with his usual flair for cleverness has once again teemed up with his ers
Yun
Jun 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In The Sentence is Death, famous celebrity-divorce lawyer Richard Pryce is found murdered in his home, beaten and stabbed with a bottle of expensive wine. The killer leaves a clue: a three-digit number painted on the wall next to his dead body. The police is battled, so they bring in private investigator Daniel Hawthorne, who then brings in his scribe, writer Anthony Horowitz.

This whodunit is so much fun. There is a small number of interesting suspects, plenty of clues everywhere (but which ones
Lou
Oct 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Sentence is Death, the second novel to feature ex-policeman and Private Investigator Daniel Hawthorne, has an old-school, authentic atmosphere to it much like the crime classics of Agatha Christie and Arthur Conan Doyle. Horowitz focusses on mystery, suspense, intrigue and keeping it clean, rather than gratuitous violence or profanity, so if you like your reads clean, then this is a fantastic choice!

Here, the author pairs up with Hawthorne to investigate the suspicious death of divorce lawye
Heidi
Mar 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020-goal, mysteries
Another uniquely original and solid mystery by an author who has quickly made my Top Ten mystery writer list.

Hawthorne remains prickly, arrogant, and brilliant while Anthony/Tony continues to play Watson to an unlikeable sidekick.

As always things aren’t as clear as they seem and red herrings, of all kinds, abound. I thoroughly enjoyed this fairly quick read.

One mystery that isn’t resolved is whether Hawthorne will return, but as Horowitz has said several times, book contracts often come in th
Marc Bougharios
Oct 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: physical-arcs

Once again (again), Horowitz does not disappoint. I can honestly say that I will read whatever this man writes because he has a way of writing that is so hard not to love. It’s impossible.

Both Horowitz and Hawthorne are in this novel, and I just want to say that their partnership is a very weird one. I wouldn’t call them friends, but they aren’t so much acquaintances? It’s so hard to describe what they are but that’s the fun think about their partnership. In this novel, we are introdu
Pat
Dec 27, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 stars.

I know that is will not be a popular review as most people loved this book and rated it highly. Don't get me wrong I think Horowitz is an undeniably brilliant writer who somehow manages to blend a modern story with very Sherlockian and/or Agatha Christie overtones. The many parallels between the facts of his real life and the fictional story nearly did my head in but he somehow managed to blend this mash-up very effectively. I was left wondering if the actual story was real. It was a w
Susan
Oct 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I adored, “The Word is Murder,” the first in the Daniel Hawthorne series, and was delighted to receive the second, “The Silence is Death,” for review. As before, Anthony Horowitz, or ‘Tony,’ as Hawthorne calls him, is very much telling the story as himself. Horowitz is working on a television series when the book begins, and Hawthorne’s reappearance is cleverly introduced – his arrival causing unintentional mayhem and annoyance.

As before, Hawthorne is wonderfully irritating and yet has a bizarr
Tucker
May 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Private detective Daniel Hawthorne is called in by the police to investigate the murder of a well-known divorce lawyer. He inveigles Anthony Horowitz into joining the investigation so he can write another book about Hawthorne (just as he did in “The Word is Murder.”) Horowitz is a reluctant participant but his commitment to his publisher to continue writing about Hawthorne, his growing absorption in the case, and his desire to solve it before Hawthorne does soon finds him totally involved in the ...more
Diane
Jun 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is another delightful mystery from Anthony Horowitz. With just a few books, Horowitz has become one of my favorite modern mystery writers.

"The Sentence is Death" is the second novel featuring private investigator Daniel Hawthorne, who again asks author Anthony Horowitz to tag along on a murder case. Just like "The Word is Murder," I enjoyed how self-deprecating Horowitz is, and how he bumbles and fumbles along, often a step behind Hawthorne. (In one of his clever meta-comments, Horowitz say
Morgan
Feb 19, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Strange book. Author Horowitz is the 1st person narrator.
Author is engaged to write a series of books about ex-cop Hawthorne.
Hawthorne has been called in to solve a murder for the real police. (?)
Therefore author is following around ex-cop Hawthorne as he goes about detecting.
Hawthorne is a most unlikable man. Author has made himself sound like a bit of a dimwit.
This is book #2 in a series. Ex-cop Hawthorne’s past is alluded to but totally missing in action.
Maybe it was brought up in book #1
Emma
Nov 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime
3.5 stars rounded up.
I very much enjoyed the first book and this one was also a good read. His style in this series is very chatty, like he is actually in the room telling you about his day. I’m still confused about how much of this is true.. thanks to Netgalley for an arc of this book.

• Eight Perfect Murders (Malcolm Kershaw, #1)
  • Big Sky (Jackson Brodie, #5)
  • The Long Call (Two Rivers, #1)
  • A Better Man (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #15)
  • The Stranger Diaries (Harbinder Kaur #1)
  • Lady in the Lake
  • The Hunting Party
  • All the Devils Are Here (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #16)
  • The Eighth Detective
  • The Guest List
  • Careful What You Wish For
  • The Turn of the Key
  • The Bitterroots (Cassie Dewell, #5)
  • City of Girls
  • The Suspect (Kate Waters, #3)
  • The Substitution Order
  • Triple Jeopardy (Daniel Pitt #2)
  • A Divided Loyalty (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #22)
Anthony Horowitz, OBE is ranked alongside Enid Blyton and Mark A. Cooper as "The most original and best spy-kids authors of the century." (New York Times). Anthony has been writing since the age of eight, and professionally since the age of twenty. In addition to the highly successful Alex Rider books, he is also the writer and creator of award winning detective series Foyle’s War, and more recent ...more

Hawthorne (2 books)
  • The Word Is Murder (Hawthorne, #1)