Start by marking “The Black Bull of Norroway (Norroway, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Black Bull of Norroway (Norroway, #1)

The Black Bull of Norroway

(Norroway)

Sibylla always wanted adventure, but she didn't know it would come in the form of a giant, magical bull. Is he a man or a monster? And who knew a prophecy could be so literal?

Based on the classic Scottish fairy tale, this is the first title in a new series co-created by sibling writer/artist team CAT SEATON and KIT SEATON, begins the adventure of a lifetime.
Published November 13th 2018 by Image Comics (first published 2018)

To ask other readers questions about The Black Bull of Norroway, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Black Bull of Norroway

Scarlett Readz and Runz....Through Novel Time & Distance
I stumbled upon this gorgeous graphic novel at the BookCon in NYC earlier this year… and how glad I am that I did. As it mingled mid-way down in my soon to read section of my tbr with other treasures the entire rest of the year, it sort of was lost out of sight - out of mind until I unearthed it again during the holidays.

This is a different kind of review for me as I usually don’t begin them with a personal note and then a brief overview of the novel, but the other way around. But as I was gett
Francina Simone
Was not a fan, the writing was a little all over the place for me and sometimes did not match up to the illustrations? I was very confused about the story line (though I understand the character was “confused” as well) but it was to the detriment of the story.

The illustrations were gorgeous but the story was just not there for me.

Will review on my channel!
Devann
I received an ARC copy of this book from Edelweiss

This was a really fun start to a new series. It is apparently based on a Scottish folk story although I'm not familiar with it at all so I can't say how well they adapted it. If I had to compare it to a more 'popular' fairy tale I would probably say it has a bit of Beauty and the Beast to it, but with the added bonus of not being all gross and Stockholm Syndromy and me actually liking it. Also I just wanted to point out that while there are queer
Ariadne
Sep 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Absolutely gorgeous art, and an intriguing story filled with classic fairytale charm and a dash of snark. My only real complaints are that the transitions were occasionally choppy to the point of being confusing, and it skews a little young for my tastes. Overall I really enjoyed it though, and heartily recommend it for people looking for good YA graphic novels, especially with strong lady leads. I look forward to reading more.
Jessa Franco
Jun 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
I want to give it 5 stars so badly, but the transitions between conversations and scenes was not well developed. I flipped through multiple times because I felt like I had missed a page or a couple panels at least. However, the representation (abilities, race, gender identity, sexual preferences, etc) was amazingly inclusive and the world building was well done. I look forward to seeing the finished copy (ARC from BEA) and future volumes.
Madalyn (Novel Ink)
Jun 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018, bea-2018
This was a fun start to a new YA graphic novel series! I’m excited to see where the story goes in book two.
Emma Andje
Sep 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
*actual rating is 3.5 stars*
USOM
Jul 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
This comic was so cute. I loved the main character. At the beginning she just tugs at my heart because it reminded me of all the ways we are taught to 'dream less' at the beginning of her life. But that doesn't stop her because she is still going to do fabulous great things. This is a comic I want to give to all the people in my life really.
Theresa
I received an ARC of this YA graphic novel at BEA 2018 and I need volume 2 now! What a cliffhanger ending! As young girl a witch tells Sibylla that she will marry the black bull of Norroway, a cursed man in bull form. As a teen, the bull comes for her and the prophecy to free him of this monstrous form is set in motion. Sibylla is they key, but why? Strong independant characters, a curse that needs lifting, magic abound, and a mysterious history that has trapped many characters. The illustration ...more
Bethany
Feb 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: black-authors
I'm excited to see where this graphic novel series goes! It's an engaging fantasy tale with a diverse cast of characters based on a Scottish fairytale and I loved it! It follows a girl who has never wanted a traditional life of marriage and babies, and is told by a witch that she will be the bride of a mythological black bull. Then he shows up and adventures ensue. I was very taken with it and the art is beautiful!
ZJ Bowen
Jan 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
A wonderful fairy tale adventure that demands that you keep reading until it's finished. Compelling characters and a lovingly diverse world that dips in and out of darkness. Sometimes information gets tangled and lost between the narrative and the art but it all comes together eventually. Would have liked a little more closure by the end but if the followup continues the quick and easy style it'll be a joy to read.
Annise
Jun 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love this fairy-tale graphic novel! It features a non-binary character as well!! #lgbtqpride The artwork is gorgeous, it's well written, and I cannot wait to read the next book. I got this Advanced Reader copy from the ALA conference, so if anyone wants to borrow please let me know! Highly recommend
Katrina
Aug 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novel
This is a magical re-telling of a classic tale. The creators did a wonderful job of updating the story to reflect a diverse and tolerant world. I will be recommending this to young adult and new adult readers.
Yvonne Olson
Dec 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I need the second installment now please.

My roommate handed me this graphic novel, knowing I love fairytales, legends, and this particular art style.
I was mesmerized. I know of this tale vaguely, so this is a wonderful breath of fresh air learning about it again.
Jenn Marshall
Aug 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: other-comics
I cannot wait for this book to come out. I plan to buy multiple copies for my classroom. It is based off an old Scottish fairy story and I felt like the story and art nailed it. I could not put it down.
Suzanne
Oct 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Review to come!
Hayley Stone
Nov 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Image Comics has been putting out some truly great graphic novels recently, and this is absolutely one of them! As a lover of folktales, this is exactly the kind of diverse retelling I am here for--one which includes WoC, queer romance, and disabled persons alike. The characterization was wonderful, the plot carefully balancing humor with pathos, and the art is some of the best I've seen recently. There were some panels that just knocked me out. I can't recommend this enough.
Olivia Williford (LivTheBookNerd)
UGH MAJOR CLIFF HANGER! I NEED MORE!
Natalie
Jan 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
⭐ PANELS BOOK CLUB PICK FOR JANUARY 2019

The Black Bull of Norroway is a retelling of the Scottish tale of the same name and follows a young woman, Sibylla, who when she was younger was given a prophecy from a witch as being the bride of the Black Bull of Norroway - which she takes in stride but never expected it to be quite so literal. That is until the bull himself darkens her doorway and brings her along on a quest to break a family curse.

Now, if you are unfamiliar with the original story of
Samantha
Dec 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: loved
AMAZING!!! TRULY FANTASTIC!!! I cant wait to read the next book!!! The art was stunning, and the story! Oh man I dont have the words to explain how much I enjoyed reading this. I highly recommend you read this book! Especially you, Yvonne! Put this in your queue. You'll love it =)
Pop Bop
Nov 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
An Entertaining Variation on the Original Scottish Tale

Part way into this I became frustrated by the "I'd explain everything to you but I don't have time right now" approach to the narrative. To rephrase that old reviewing canard, this was often a case of don't show but don't tell either. And I'm not exaggerating. On many occasions our heroine would ask a question, be given a cryptic reply, complain about the useless answer, and be told to ask better questions. Reworked fairy tales are usually v
Pop Bop
Nov 07, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
An Entertaining Variation on the Original Scottish Tale

Stephanie Bange
Feb 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
The first book of a series retelling an epic Scottish folktale.

As a young girl, Sibylla is prophesied by the witch to marry a monster: the Black Bull of Norroway. She learns of his history and accepts her fate. Time passes and the Black Bull comes to her house to claim her as his wife. So begins her trials as the wife of a monster.

"Kit Seaton, the older sister, is an artist living in Savanah, Georgia, where she teaches as Savanah College of Art and Design. She has an M.F.A. from the University
Adam Stone
The beginning of this fable is spectacular. The Seatons' marriage of art and myth drew me right into the story in a way few young adult graphic novels are able to accomplish. And the art continues to be five stars all the way through.

Unfortunately, the protagonist in the story is kept in the dark about her husband's backstory, and each time she asks about it, we, the readers, are mired more and more in a convoluded tale that is never properly explained. In this way, we feel the same frustration
Theediscerning
Oct 13, 2018 rated it it was ok
Hmmm… I wasn't expecting this tale of a girl and her husband-to-be of a speaking bull to come from Scottish folklore. It certainly does smack of some traditional tale, but it's not got an ounce of the Gallic – more Hellenic, for obvious reasons. What it does have, as well, though, is the smack of being something that's just bulked out and expanded on til the seams are bursting. This volume – which does admittedly read a lot quicker than the page-count would have you believe – just stops in the m ...more
Ruthsic
A story about a young girl who seeks adventure, The Black Bull of Norroway takes us on a journey with magic and prophecies, and unyielding bulls and trouble-making crows. Sibylla's dream of finding the beloved who would come for her and whom she would help in breaking a prophecy are shattered when an actual literal bull comes at her doorstep. Still, she goes along because she thinks she has a purpose, even if he is uncooperative, and the others they meet along the way are just as deflective when ...more
Joyce
Jul 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
I received an ARC of this book. Thank you, Image Comics!
This graphic novel is a great series opener. It's about a young woman named Sibylla who is destined to marry the Black Bull of Norroway. She meets him but they don't quite get along. The bull wants to break his curse and Sibylla is thrown into the drama relating to him and his family.

I could relate to Sibylla right from the start; she was just like me when I was a little girl! The illustrations were very well drawn. The characters were div
Matthew
Feb 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Oh how I loved this book! I was wandering through Barnes & Noble when I saw this. It looked interesting and I picked it up. It intrigued me even more when I learned it was based on a fairytale from outside the US.
I love the character of Sibylla and her relationship with the Black Bull. I just find their dynamic hilarious. You should see how she's able to eat in the book.
I give it a 4.5/5 cause some of the dialogue was kind of confusing. My own personal preference as well was people skirt aro
Paul Decker
Oct 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
*I received this book as an eARC from Image Comics via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review*

This is a really fun fantasy story with diversity and representation. The book opens with three girls discovering about their future. The youngest sister is told she will marry the Black Bull of Norroway. From there, it's a fairy tale that plays with tropes like curses and betrothed. I really enjoyed the representation in this book. There's a non-binary ship captain. There's also disabled rep. A war
Dolores
First book in a new series based on a Scottish fairy tale--that I was completely unfamiliar with, but find pretty interesting. Sibylla learns her fate as a young girl. She is destined to be the bride of the Black Bull of Norroway. When the time comes to take her place as his bride, she must accompany him on a quest to reverse the curse that turned him into a bull. Sibylla longs for adventure, but just wants some straight answers--rapidly losing patience with the riddles and half truths that ever ...more
Panels Book Club: What We're Reading This January! 1 25 Jan 02, 2019 05:58PM
Christian Specula...: Fairy Tale Graphic Novel 1 7 Dec 03, 2018 08:13AM
  • Spectacle Vol. 1
  • Hanayome wa Motodanshi
  • DeadEndia: The Watcher's Test
  • Peter Panzerfaust, Vol. 3: Cry of the Wolf
  • Skyward Volume 1: My Low-G Life
  • The Frozen Menace (Dragonbreath, #11)
  • Beast
  • Will Supervillains Be on the Final? (Liberty Vocational #1)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Own It (Season 10, Volume 6)
  • The Divided Earth (The Nameless City, #3)
  • Stephen McCranie's Space Boy Volume 1
  • The Opal Deception: The Graphic Novel (Artemis Fowl: The Graphic Novels, #4)
  • Afar
  • Grand Theft Horse
  • Lost Soul, Be At Peace
  • Photographic: The Life of Graciela Iturbide
  • Sleepless, Vol. 1 (Sleepless, #1)
  • Onibi : Carnets du Japon invisible
Cat Seaton grew up in the Inland Northwest where she never learned to swim. Born to a family of theatrical-types, she's prone to errant whimsy and reckless symbolism. As a child, she was an avid devourer of fairy tales, poetry, and horror flicks. Now, she wants to create works that mix elements of all three. Her goal is to create stories that illuminate, unsettle, and amuse.
Cat currently lives in