Start by marking “The Black Bull of Norroway (Norroway, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Black Bull of Norroway (Norroway, #1)

The Black Bull of Norroway

(Norroway #1)

Sibylla always wanted adventure, but she didn't know it would come in the form of a giant, magical bull. Is he a man or a monster? And who knew a prophecy could be so literal?

Based on the classic Scottish fairy tale, this is the first title in a new series co-created by sibling writer/artist team CAT SEATON and KIT SEATON, begins the adventure of a lifetime.
Published November 13th 2018 by Image Comics (first published 2018)

Start your review of The Black Bull of Norroway (Norroway, #1)
Scarlett Readz and Runz....Through Novel Time & Distance
I stumbled upon this gorgeous graphic novel at the BookCon in NYC earlier this year… and how glad I am that I did. As it mingled mid-way down in my soon to read section of my tbr with other treasures the entire rest of the year, it sort of was lost out of sight - out of mind until I unearthed it again during the holidays.

This is a different kind of review for me as I usually don’t begin them with a personal note and then a brief overview of the novel, but the other way around. But as I was gett
Devann
I received an ARC copy of this book from Edelweiss

This was a really fun start to a new series. It is apparently based on a Scottish folk story although I'm not familiar with it at all so I can't say how well they adapted it. If I had to compare it to a more 'popular' fairy tale I would probably say it has a bit of Beauty and the Beast to it, but with the added bonus of not being all gross and Stockholm Syndromy and me actually liking it. Also I just wanted to point out that while there are queer
Francina Simone
Was not a fan, the writing was a little all over the place for me and sometimes did not match up to the illustrations? I was very confused about the story line (though I understand the character was “confused” as well) but it was to the detriment of the story.

The illustrations were gorgeous but the story was just not there for me.

Will review on my channel!
Rod Brown
Nov 01, 2019 rated it liked it
A winning adaptation of an old Scottish fairy tale. I was a little slow to warm up to the odd plot turns because I did not know it was based on a fairy tale as I read it, but the portrayal of the characters sucked me right in. It's a little Beauty and the Beast in tone as a spunky young woman tries to help break the curse which has transformed the title character from man to beast. I'm tempted to read the original tale now to see how things turn out, but I'm not going to since I'm pretty sure I' ...more
Jessica
Jul 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Just heard about this the other day, and can't believe that it hadn't been recommended to me before! (Frowns at all the friends who should have told me about this series.)

This is a great story, a sort of Beauty and the Beast tale, and the art is stunning. I must find more!
Marquise
Interesting concept for a graphic novel retelling of the Scottish folktale The Black Bull of Norroway, which is also known by its variants Brown Bull of Norroway & Red Bull of Norroway instead of Black Bull, with a little sprinkling of sidhe mythology.

So far, I'm liking the dynamics between the human girl Sybilla and the enchanted Bull, but the storyline in this volume is pretty much ja sort of a long prologue and leaves lots of questions unanswered, and some details don't quite fit for the tim
Theresa
I received an ARC of this YA graphic novel at BEA 2018 and I need volume 2 now! What a cliffhanger ending! As young girl a witch tells Sibylla that she will marry the black bull of Norroway, a cursed man in bull form. As a teen, the bull comes for her and the prophecy to free him of this monstrous form is set in motion. Sibylla is they key, but why? Strong independant characters, a curse that needs lifting, magic abound, and a mysterious history that has trapped many characters. The illustration ...more
Jessa Franco
Jun 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
I want to give it 5 stars so badly, but the transitions between conversations and scenes was not well developed. I flipped through multiple times because I felt like I had missed a page or a couple panels at least. However, the representation (abilities, race, gender identity, sexual preferences, etc) was amazingly inclusive and the world building was well done. I look forward to seeing the finished copy (ARC from BEA) and future volumes.
Elliot
Sep 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Absolutely gorgeous art, and an intriguing story filled with classic fairytale charm and a dash of snark. My only real complaints are that the transitions were occasionally choppy to the point of being confusing, and it skews a little young for my tastes. Overall I really enjoyed it though, and heartily recommend it for people looking for good YA graphic novels, especially with strong lady leads. I look forward to reading more.
Madalyn (Novel Ink)
This was a fun start to a new YA graphic novel series! I’m excited to see where the story goes in book two.
Bethany
Feb 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: black-authors
I'm excited to see where this graphic novel series goes! It's an engaging fantasy tale with a diverse cast of characters based on a Scottish fairytale and I loved it! It follows a girl who has never wanted a traditional life of marriage and babies, and is told by a witch that she will be the bride of a mythological black bull. Then he shows up and adventures ensue. I was very taken with it and the art is beautiful!
Emma Andje
Sep 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
*actual rating is 3.5 stars*
(inactive)
Jul 29, 2019 rated it liked it
overall this was enjoyable but it was also confusing to the point of it being super infuriating and the cliff hanger pissed me off
Sabrina
Mar 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is story about a young girl who receives a prophecy that she will marry the Bull of Norroway. This is the first in a series telling the story based on the folk tale, and has the young girl heading off on an adventure with the bull involving curses, ships and lots of bickering.
The main theme of the book is that things aren’t always what they seem and we shouldn’t jump to conclusions. It’s a little trite, and the bull is fairly obvious here, but sometimes the things the protagonist learned a
Nicole
Feb 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this first volume of the new Image series!
Kit & Cat did an awesome job with interpreting the Black Bull of Norroway fairytale.

I do like that they changed the characters a bit & added some diversity that honestly is apt for the times.

Really can’t wait for the next issue!! I have to figure out how to get issues.

Second book of #blackathon
Hayley Stone
Nov 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Image Comics has been putting out some truly great graphic novels recently, and this is absolutely one of them! As a lover of folktales, this is exactly the kind of diverse retelling I am here for--one which includes WoC, queer romance, and disabled persons alike. The characterization was wonderful, the plot carefully balancing humor with pathos, and the art is some of the best I've seen recently. There were some panels that just knocked me out. I can't recommend this enough.
ZJ
Jan 12, 2019 added it
A wonderful fairy tale adventure that demands that you keep reading until it's finished. Compelling characters and a lovingly diverse world that dips in and out of darkness. Sometimes information gets tangled and lost between the narrative and the art but it all comes together eventually. Would have liked a little more closure by the end but if the followup continues the quick and easy style it'll be a joy to read.
honeybean
Jun 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love this fairy-tale graphic novel! It features a non-binary character as well!! #lgbtqpride The artwork is gorgeous, it's well written, and I cannot wait to read the next book. I got this Advanced Reader copy from the ALA conference, so if anyone wants to borrow please let me know! Highly recommend
USOM
Jul 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
This comic was so cute. I loved the main character. At the beginning she just tugs at my heart because it reminded me of all the ways we are taught to 'dream less' at the beginning of her life. But that doesn't stop her because she is still going to do fabulous great things. This is a comic I want to give to all the people in my life really.
Katrina
Aug 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novel
This is a magical re-telling of a classic tale. The creators did a wonderful job of updating the story to reflect a diverse and tolerant world. I will be recommending this to young adult and new adult readers.
Sammie
Dec 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: loved
AMAZING!!! TRULY FANTASTIC!!! I cant wait to read the next book!!! The art was stunning, and the story! Oh man I dont have the words to explain how much I enjoyed reading this. I highly recommend you read this book! Especially you, Yvonne! Put this in your queue. You'll love it =)
Yvonne Olson
Dec 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I need the second installment now please.

My roommate handed me this graphic novel, knowing I love fairytales, legends, and this particular art style.
I was mesmerized. I know of this tale vaguely, so this is a wonderful breath of fresh air learning about it again.
Suzanne
Oct 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Review to come!
Olivia Williford (LivTheBookNerd)
UGH MAJOR CLIFF HANGER! I NEED MORE!
Marathon County Public Library
Once upon a time, a mother with three daughters decided it was time for them to marry. "Look out the back door and the first thing you see is your destiny." The first daughter sees a wealthy farmer.  The second daughters sees a fine prince.  The third daughter sees a large black bull.

So begins the fairy tale, "The Black Bull of Norroway," a variant of the Eros and Psyche tale, and "East of the Sun, West of the Moon," my personal favorite. In their graphic novel, "Norroway," Kit and Cat Seaton ta
Kayla
I loved Brom/the bull and Petra the bird. They’re personality really shown through even though they’re animals. I adored the art style! I think the artist did an incredible job in telling the story and the characters emotions throughout!

I also appreciated the diversity especially the non-binary character Harper and their love Dagny.

However the writing of the story started off feeling disjointed; Sibyella didn’t really question anything and just went along on this seemingly random journey; we d
Kelsey
Apr 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Welp, the writer sums things up pretty nicely here:
"NORROWAY is the result of the stories my sister Cat and I told to each other on dark nights when we were growing up,” said Kit Seaton. “This is a new series inspired by all the things we love about ghost stories and the old dark fairy tales. It’s about curses run amok, doomed knights, dancing princesses, shipwrecks, and young peasant girls destined for adventure. Take warning, however: even good intentions can lead to dangerous places.”

This was
CJ
Jul 27, 2020 rated it liked it
Thoroughly enjoyed, but I must say I’m still confused even after finishing. I definitely want to read the next book. I love the art style, the magpie, and the sibling dynamics, however I wish there was more time spent developing Sibylla’s personality and her relationships.
Emmy Neal
Jun 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a great fairy tale, with a diverse cast of characters and the perfect amount of whimsy.
Amy "the book-bat"

• Pandora's Legacy
  • Mooncakes
  • Witchlight
  • Grimoire Noir
  • Cosmoknights (Cosmoknights, #1)
  • The Tea Dragon Festival (Tea Dragon, #2)
  • Mirenda, Volume 1
  • Isola, Vol. 1
  • Aquicorn Cove
  • Skyward, Vol. 2: Here There Be Dragonflies
  • Witchy
  • Witches in Training (Hex Vet, #1)
Cat Seaton grew up in the Inland Northwest where she never learned to swim. Born to a family of theatrical-types, she's prone to errant whimsy and reckless symbolism. As a child, she was an avid devourer of fairy tales, poetry, and horror flicks. Now, she wants to create works that mix elements of all three. Her goal is to create stories that illuminate, unsettle, and amuse.
Cat currently lives in

Norroway (2 books)
  • The Queen of the High Mountain (Norroway, #2)

News & Interviews