Start by marking “The Book Artist (Hugo Marston, #8)” as Want to Read:
The Book Artist (Hugo Marston, #8)

The Book Artist

(Hugo Marston #8)

Hugo Marston, head of security for the U.S. Embassy in Paris, puts his life in danger when he investigates the murder of a celebrated artist, all the while fending off an assassin looking to settle an old score against him.

Hugo Marston accompanies his boss, US Ambassador J. Bradford Taylor, to the first night of an art exhibition in Montmartre, Paris. Hugo is less than hap
Published February 5th 2019 by Seventh Street Books (first published January 8th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about The Book Artist, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Book Artist

Cindy Burnett
Oct 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am a huge fan of Mark Pryor’s Hugo Marston’s series, and The Book Artist is the best book to date in the series. Marston is head of security for the U.S. Embassy in Paris, and in The Book Artist, he is tasked with protecting an artist, Alia Alsaffar, who is having her first Paris exhibition in the Dali Museum in Montmartre. Not normally an art fan, Marston is intrigued by this exhibition because Alsaffar creates beautiful art sculptures solely from books, including a huge tree at the entrance ...more
Susan Johnson
Dec 12, 2018 rated it liked it
This book sounded so interesting to me. It concerns a female artist whose medium is books. She makes sculptures out of books and is having an exhibition in Paris. What could be more intriguing to a book lover than that set up so I dived into my first Hugo Marston book. And it was okay. I thought it was just an average mystery. It was good but nothing special.

Marston is a former FBI agent attached to the American embassy in Paris. He has a friend, Tom, who is investigating a character from a pr
Lynn Horton
Feb 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is one of my favorite books in the series, primarily because I've come away from it realizng that the author does one thing VERY well.

He masterfully draws his characters. Even though there are at least a dozen characters in The Book Artist, and some are making a return appearance, even the NEW characters are crystal clear. It's hard to juggle this many characters in a book, making them believable while still making them distinct. But Pryor does that, in spades.

The plot might be a little th
Emma
VERDICT:  Satisfying suspenseful mystery, that would have been even better if focused on one plot only.
As you could expect at the end of The Sorbonne Affair,  Hugo Marston and his friend Tom were going to have to resolve a major issue related to their past: fifteen years earlier, as they were tracking burglars in Houston, they ended up wounding a guy, Cofer, and killing his brother. At the beginning of The Book Artist, Tom is in Amsterdam, where Cofer has been seen.

My full review will be live on
Pamela
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the eighth in the Hugo Marston series.

Hugo Marston is head of security for the American Embassy in Paris. He’s been asked by the Ambassador to accompany an American artist to her showing. When he gets a call from a close friend that she’s fainted on the sidewalk outside the museum, Hugo goes to her rescue. When Claudia declines the EMTs offer to transport her to the hospital, Hugo takes her inside the museum and gets her settled on a couch outside the exhibition. When he returns to the
Scilla
Feb 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A great mystery/thriller!

Hugo is asked by the Ambassador to pick up and bring Alia Alsaffar to the Embassy Christmas party. When he gets to her hotel, she has left arguing with a man. Hugo goes in the direction indicated by the hotel staff, and eventually finds her. She has forgotten about the party, isn't dressed for it, and asks him to dinner. Hugo finds this artist, who makes sculptures from books very intriguing, and she asks him to be her date the next day at the opening of her show.

Meanwh
Nancy
Feb 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Three and a half stars

This was a quick read and lots of fun - I love Paris and felt like I was zipping around well-known sites and areas, eating and drinking in pubs and restaurants, and enjoying the Christmas lights. The story wasn't super-taxing intellectually so the whole reading experience was like a mini-vacation (plus drama/intrigue). Just what you want a detective novel to be!

Pryor reminds us that Paris is a culturally/ethnically diverse city and reflects this skillfully (without being ha
Anne
Dec 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: x-read-in-2018
I’m so happy to be adding this title to my collection as Mark Pryor adds to his Hugo Marston series with this eighth installment.

In this book Hugo is back in Paris and has been asked by the ambassador to escort an artist to her exhibit opening. Her art consists of sculptures made out of rescued books (The Book Artist). Brilliant! During the opening reception there is a murder.

Tom Green is in Amsterdam trying to find the bad guy who killed his sister. There is a murder.

Getting to the resolutio
Taylor Holt
Oct 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: edelweiss, reviewed
Delving into new cases with Hugo is always a treat. I was intrigued by the premise of this novel - Hugo meets an hot new artist whose sculpture medium is books. When she has an art exhibition, attended by Hugo and the US Ambassador, a gruesome murder is also on display for the spectators. I enjoyed that Mark Pryor let us get to know the players before the murder occurred, including the victim, so I really was aggrieved by the crime. The only element of this book that I strongly disliked was havi ...more
Kim McGee
Oct 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Hugo Marston works in security for the U.S. Ambassador to France is seriously dating a French woman, he thinks and is once again embroiled in a murder mystery in which his girlfriend may be implicated. While we follow Hugo as he sidesteps the French Inspector who doesn't want his help, hunts down the possible suspects to get his girlfriend off the hook and attends a variety of official events, we marvel at how he never loses his cool, breaks a sweat or steps in mud - he may just be the Texas ver ...more
M. White
Feb 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am a confirmed Mark Pryor fan, and his latest book definitely did not disappoint. His character development is outstanding, and his descriptions of Paris leave you feeling like you have just been there walking beside his main character, Hugo. My only complaint--the two strong plot lines in this book could, in my opinion, each have carried a book on its own. The story hooks you quickly and keeps you reading well beyond bedtime. I definitely recommend it.
Amy Flanagan
Feb 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-of-2019
I love these Hugo Marston books. Love reading about France and love the mysteries he solves. Already ordered another one.
Jessica Howard
Dec 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018, mystery
A solid entry in this Parisian series. Full review coming for Shelf Awareness.
Pat Chrivia
Feb 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another good Hugo marston episode
Martina
Hugo Marston #8-- The Mystery Book Group read Pryor's first Marston novel in January 2014. That was The Bookseller. I'm behind on the series, but really have enjoyed the books I've read. Want to catch up! Expected publication date of the paperback edition is February 5, 2019.
Patricia
Jan 23, 2019
james allen
Feb 10, 2019
Becky
rated it did not like it
Dave Sloan
Feb 08, 2019
Michelle
Feb 13, 2019
« previous 1 3 next »
Mark Pryor is a former newspaper reporter from England, and now an assistant district attorney with the Travis County District Attorney's Office, in Austin, Texas. He is the creator of the nationally-recognized true-crime blog D.A. Confidential. He has appeared on CBS News's 48 Hours and Discovery Channel's Discovery ID: Cold Blood.

THE BOOKSELLER was his first mystery novel and upon release was Li

Hugo Marston (8 books)
  • The Bookseller (Hugo Marston, #1)
  • The Crypt Thief (Hugo Marston #2)
  • The Blood Promise (Hugo Marston #3)
  • The Button Man (Hugo Marston #4)
  • The Reluctant Matador (Hugo Marston, #5)
  • The Paris Librarian (Hugo Marston #6)
  • The Sorbonne Affair (Hugo Marston #7)