Start by marking “Whisper” as Want to Read:
Whisper

Whisper

4.75  ·  Rating details ·  224 Ratings  ·  94 Reviews
The truth is complicated.

On September 11th, 2001, Kris Caldera was a junior member of the CIA's Alec Station, the unit dedicated to finding and stopping Osama Bin Laden.

They failed.

Ten days later, he was on the ground in Afghanistan with a Special Forces team, driven to avenge the ghosts that haunted him and the nation he'd let down. On the battlefield, he meets Special
Published April 26th 2018 by Tal Bauer

To ask other readers questions about Whisper, please sign up.

Sophia Triad
Whisper my name, and I will always be there.

The last 4-5 days I have been living and breathing inside Whisper. It is an overwhelming book. It is a strong book. It is a long book. I did a bit of research myself while I was reading it, because some events were strongly described and apparently they DID happen.

You need to invest a lot of your time when you start this book, but it is worth it.
It is a book about religion, blind faith, prophecies, holly wars, spiritual healing and peace. But mostly
Jan

faith,
beliefs,
religion,
a few assholes,
topped up with very little romance in it?

Brain: Shut up. *shows the finger and mutters: *

Commercial Photography

Heart: That’s what I thought.

Commercial Photography

Days later…

Heart: Remember that 951 pages book we have talked about?

Brain:

Heart: Well, the book is
Simone
***5+++++ Stars***

How the hell can I summarize a book that consists of 951 pages in just a few words? Well, that's pretty simple... I can't.

And I'm still feeling too raw, too emotionally overwhelmed, to even try... For me, this story was pretty epic in any and every possible way - umm, aside from the length, obviously.

So, let's just say that I'm in awe of the research and the lifeblood Tal Bauer has put into this story. Of the accuracy of historical facts and the way he wove the life of his fi
Christelle
Apr 29, 2018 marked it as to-finish
When reading Hush, one character stood out : Kris and of course, I wanted to read about him. When the release of whisper was announced (not yet any blurb nor page count at that time…951 pages), I blindly dived in as soon as this book was out.

After reading half of the book (ie more than 400 pages), here are my thoughts :
1 - It doesn’t look like there’s need to have read Hush first. I’m not even sure it’s related apart from Kris being a friend of one of the MCs from Hush.
2 - The time-line goes fro
Renée
Apr 22, 2018 added it
Shelves: dnf, low-steam
ETA: I would really love to have a conversation or three with Tal one day. I'd love to pick his brain on the current political climate in the US and where he thinks we go from here.

Soooooo........

I'm tapping out, folks.

Not because the writing isn't stellar. It really is. As usual from this author.

The subject matter is intriguing. It's moderately interesting to me, but not interesting enough for 11,500+ Kindle locations.

And organized religion and me aren't on good terms, so any book heavy on the
Eugenia
The Best Book of the Year!************* I’m still reeling after finishing this book, finding the wherewithal to write a worthy review. This book, it’s words and images, won’t leave my thoughts; I’m not sure I want it to. It deserves to be remembered.

This was an epic masterpiece on a scale I’ve not read from Tal Bauer before. This book stands solidly as a political thriller, as a romance, as a retelling of the aftermath of the 9/11 attacks on US soil. Most of all, it stands solidly as a tour de f
Wynne Katherine
Apr 27, 2018 rated it liked it
description

For I have tried, and failed.

I wanted so bad to like this book, but it proves to be harder than I thought it to be.

This book is very educational for someone like me, who has no clue whatsoever to the US history and the details of 9/11. However, it sometimes feels a tad bit too educational. So much so that it started to feel as if I was in a non-ending history lesson rather than reading a love story between two characters.

This is definitely a heavy case of it's-me-not-you.

I love romance. I adore
Natalie
After the complexity and suspense of his “Enemies of the State” series, I wondered how Tal could ever top that. Tal replied…”here, hold my beer”.

“Whisper” is an absolute tour de force, intense and powerful, packing an emotional punch greater than anything else Tal Bauer has yet written, in my opinion. It’s also an epic saga of love and romance through a time of war and the long, never ending battles against terrorism. Opening on 9/11, the history of US retaliation and subsequent invasions are u
Sanaa  ☆ Sanaa's Book Blog ☆
4.5 stars.

A thousand million stars in the sky would not be enough to count the ways I love you. Or grains of sand on the beach, even if you split every grain in half.

Well....holy shit.

This is hands down the LONGEST book I've ever read in my life. That I actually loved. A LOT. I've pretty much read every book by Tal Bauer so when I saw this, I got excited and then the blurb was revealed and it was about Kris (who you meet in Hush) and David I got even more excited!

First things first, 60% o
Josy
May 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Josy by: Simone
It's been a few hours since I've finished this awesome, powerful, and intense book and I'm still speechless. Right now, I should be asleep but I can't stop thinking about it so I thought I would write down some of what is running through my head right now.

This was one of the best books I've read in a long while.
Leaving politics and religion out of it, the message of this book is about "peace, love, and acceptance." Yes, I stole this from the author's note but only because it's true.

I know I won'
haletostilinski
4.5 very solid stars!

description

“Ya rouhi,” he whispered. “You are the moon in my darkness, habibi. Always.”

“You are my love, my light, my guiding star.”

Wow. What a journey this book took me on. Not only of everything after 9/11 and the war and everything, but David and Kris' life together.

About 60% or so of this book is in the past, starting from 9/11, 2001, to skipping a few months then years after David "died" until we're in the present.

I thought, at first, that it was slow. And ultimately I took off
Jenni Lea
Mar 06, 2018 marked it as omg-cant-wait-to-read

OMG, YASSSSSSSSSS!

That blurb scares the shit outta me though. I foresee many, many tears in my future with this one.
Teal
Time for a reality check.

Q: Am I enjoying this book?
A: No.

Q: Is there any reason to expect I'll start enjoying it if I read further?
A: No.

Q: Have I ever enjoyed any of the books I've read by this author?
A: No.

Q: Does the fact that I really, really wish I could enjoy it make it any more likely that I will, in fact, enjoy it?
A: No.

Well, duh. DNF @ 14%, with note to self: No more Tal Bauer.
⚣❣☙ Cocky™ Michaelle ❧❣⚣
I don't even care what it's about...I'mma read it. It's Tal.

Edited to add: Oh, look - there's a blurb now. Still gonna read it!
Bibliophile
Apr 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m
This story has an epic feel to it. It spans decades and tells a tale young love, loss, and reclaimed love amidst the crisis unfolding in the middle east after 9/11. Normally, the 9/11 theme would be a detractor for me, but because it was written by Tal Bauer, I knew I had to read it. The first book in this series, Enemies of the State was a "Best of 2017" novel for me. In that novel, we meet Kris for the first time and he's a compelling character. He's smart, enigmatic, charming, and boldly out- ...more
Nile Princess
May 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Well that was awesome. 4.5 as I did have some issues but review to follow. 936 pages in 3 days!
Bev
 photo lots of gold stars_zpsqdswsuvh.jpg

Just as Hush was one of my fave reads of 2017, so Whisper already is and will remain one of my top reads of 2018!! All the stars for this blockbuster of a story, which unfortunately will not be to everyone's taste in view of the savagery of some of the scenes (view spoiler) AND the fact that the romance is not 'in your face' all day, everyday. This story spans nearly two decades and does not pull any punches...is quite honest in fact in its ret
Tina

What a fabulous book! I can‘t even begin to describe my feelings...

OMG!

Review to follow.

————————

Just finished re-reading Hush and had to quote this emotional argument between Mike and Kris!

“And who are you to talk, huh?” Mike roared. “You eat men alive and kick them to the curb before they catch their breath! Who of us is actually scared of being real?”

Kris’s eyes narrowed, going cold, deadly sharp. “I loved a man more deeply than you will ever know. I will never find another love as deep, as i
Natosha Wilson
Apr 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book blew me away. Trigger Warnings: 9/11 and the aftermath that follows. This book has a lot of details of what did or could have happened following the attack on the US. This book could trigger some bad memories of a time that some may want to forget.

Kris is a language specialist for the CIA. On September 11, 2001 the nation endured a horrible tragedy that in Kris’s opinion could have been avoided. Bin Laden attacked the United States on our own turf. Kris feels that he may have could of
Julian
May 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
💖 💖 💖 💖
Danielle Gypsy Soul
4.5 Stars. I love Tal Bauer and I've read everything he's written and while I REALLY enjoyed this one it just wasn't quite as good as the other books for me and that's purely for personal reasons. The subject matter was a bit difficult for me and not necessarily something I enjoy reading about (terrorism/war and religion). It was obviously very well researched and the book had all the emotion, action, suspense, twists and turns, romance and thrills you could want in a book.

It's a book with a ver
Becky
May 04, 2018 rated it liked it
So... I’m clearly in the minority here but this just didn’t work for me at all. I absolutely loved Hush, but this one was way too long. It got to the point the first half of the book, whilst certainly setting up the character history, interactions etc, started to read like a research piece on what happened after 9/11, and I spent most of the second half skimming to get to the good stuff.

It was definitely well written, but because the blurb detailed what and when the main turning point of the st
Qin
May 05, 2018 rated it liked it
I feel very much conflicted about this book. If, on the whole, the good still prevails over the bad and the indifferent, I am hard put to recommend it given its sheer length.

For the first two-thirds of the story, I was riveted to my e-reader; I could hardly bear to work, mark students papers, do the housechores, and be with my family, before the next moment of leisure allowed me to resume my reading. At long last someone had done their homework and did not treat the background of America's war o
Micah
May 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a very very very very bold statement I’m about to make, and I know it is before I make, but out of all of the M/M books I’ve read, so far, this is the best by far. First the book spends so much time talking about the struggles of being a brown, queer, boy in a very white, straight, world. And how so many people who are “othered” are right but the world decides to go left. I’ve noticed that I’m the m/m genre a majority of authors seem to think that every person to have ever personed since ...more
Levi
Apr 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc-s, mm-romance
Full review at :

OptimuMM - Home of MM Book Reviews
description

When I first was introduced to Tal Bauer’s books downloading them I had a shiver going up my spine. I knew from the very first sentence that I met an author, a man, a human with high moral understanding when it comes to discrimination. His utopian views of the future are aligned with mine, reading him I could connect with him, sharing every emotion, every hope for mankind.

Tal’s tells stories for those who believe, believe in good, believe in God.
Cee Brown
Apr 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
.•★*) .•*)
(.★*..•`★¤"You're at the center of fate and destiny, where all paths have converged.".¤★*..*ˑ★

As I read, these words filled me: "I have been broken, emasculated and revived."

"Nietzsche once said, 'Beware when fighting monsters, you do not become a monster yourself. For when you stare into the abyss, the abyss stares back into you.'" ~ Tal's words from Whisper.

I remember where I was the morning of 9-11. I woke to the constant beeps of the computer alerting me to whatever was so importa
Anne
May 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
There's a lot to say about this book, it's 950 pages long and every one of those pages is thought provoking.

I am not a fan of long books but I hardly noticed the length here,you just keep turning the pages and find yourself almost done and worried that it will be over and you will have nothing to read after.
This book took every free second I had, I could think of nothing else.

If you followed the news after 9/11 you know that Tal has given the reflection of the times, circumstances and occurren
Amelia
May 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This book.... to read this book as a Muslim is so meaningful. The way Dawood practices being a Muslim, his heart filled with love is how i wish every Muslim to practice Islam. This book shows the dark side of Islam but it also shows how Allah and the Prophet wants us to see Islam. Dawoods fathers, the one that died in Libya and the one that died in Afghanistan lived that Islam. My compliments to the writer of this book. He knows his Islam. English is not my first language so i cant write down ev ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
BR Simone, Anne and Christelle 815 15 May 03, 2018 05:15AM

Tal Bauer is an award-winning and best-selling author of LGBT romantic thrillers, bringing together a career in law enforcement and international humanitarian aid to create dynamic characters, intriguing plots, and exotic locations. He is happily married and lives with his husband and their Basset Hound in Texas. Tal is a member of the Romance Writers of America.

Website - www.talbauerwrites.com
Ama
More about Tal Bauer

Romance Deals

• Wild Kisses (Wildwood, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Dangerous Engagement (The Regency Spies of London, #3)
  • Trouble in Paradise
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Staying For Good (Most Likely To, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Miss Fortune (Lear Family Trilogy #3)
  • Almost Like Love
  • Party Girl
  • Cross My Heart
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Grave Secrets (Rogue River #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Married by Monday (The Weekday Brides, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • If I Didn't Know Better (The Callaways #9)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Beauty Queen (Lear Family Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Life After Wife (Three Magic Words Trilogy, #3)
  • Incentive
    $3.99 $1.99
  • It Started With a Kiss (Sequoia Lake, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fiancé by Friday (The Weekday Brides, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Savage Urges (The Phoenix Pack, #5)
  • The Color of Water in July
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Knight Avenged (Circle of Seven, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Taken by Tuesday (The Weekday Brides, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Kushiel's Dart (Phèdre's Trilogy, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • A Forever Thing (Three Magic Words Trilogy, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dead in Her Tracks (Rogue Winter, #2)
  • Flirting with Felicity
  • Long, Hot Texas Summer
  • You'll Think of Me
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Lily Love
    $1.99 $0.99
  • Forever is the Worst Long Time
    $4.99 $1.99
  • True to the Highlander (Loch Moigh #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sweet as Sin (Bad Habit, #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Dollmaker (The Forgotten Files, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fifth Grave Past the Light (Charley Davidson, #5)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Heart of Betrayal (The Remnant Chronicles, #2)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Shameless (White Lies Duet #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Burn for You (Slow Burn, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Be Mine Forever (St. Helena Vineyard, #4)
  • Playing It Safe
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Sweet Lake (Sweet Lake #1)
  • The Barefoot Summer
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Smart Girl (The Girl's #3)
  • Falling Together
    $10.74 $1.99
  • Warrior's Revenge
  • Lily's White Lace
    $4.49 $1.99
  • A Viscount's Proposal (The Regency Spies of London, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fear For Me: A Novel of the Bayou Butcher (For Me, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Hangman (The Forgotten Files #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Stone Walls (True Heroes, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Things I Can't Forget (Hundred Oaks, #3)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Flashpoint (Troubleshooters, #7)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Break Me (Corrupted Hearts, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Shark (Forgotten Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Black and Green (The Ghost Bird, #11)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Wager
  • Enrage (Eagle Elite )
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Spiral of Need (The Mercury Pack, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Treasured by Thursday (The Weekday Brides, #7)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Infraction (Players Game, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Fated (Dark Protectors, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Material Girl (The Fancy Lives of the Lear Sisters, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Beauty of Darkness (The Remnant Chronicles, #3)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Summer in Napa (St. Helena Vineyard, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Devil's Daughter (Hidden Sins #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fraternize (Players Game, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • All We Knew (The Cabots, #2)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • P.S. from Paris
  • Love, Lucas
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Rules of Regret
    $3.99 $1.99
  • In Shining Whatever (Three Magic Words Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seek Me with All Your Heart (Land of Canaan, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Schemer (A Hot Romantic Comedy) (Harbor City Book 3)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • By Your Side
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Follow Me (Corrupted Hearts, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sweet Girl (The Girl's Series Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Trouble with Tomboys (Tommy Creek #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • All There Is (Juniper Hills, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Soul and Blade (Blood and Bone, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • To Win Her Favor (Belle Meade Plantation #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Nobody's Baby But Mine (Chicago Stars, #3)
    $4.74 $1.99
  • Delta: Redemption (Delta, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dealing Double (Heartbreaker, #2)
  • Spin (Spin, #1)
    $7.74 $0.99
  • On Her Father's Grave (Rogue River #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
“Never let anyone else define your life, Kris. Never let anyone else define who you are. They will always get it wrong. Never settle for that.” 2 likes
“He could make his world shades of white and pale, shades of sucking up and always trying to fit in, shades of never being enough, and being told, in a thousand, million, tiny ways, that he would never, ever fit in, no matter how hard he tried. Fuck that. He’d take his discrimination to his face, thank you very much. The world would acknowledge him. Somehow.” 1 likes