Start by marking “Scary Stories for Young Foxes” as Want to Read:
Scary Stories for Young Foxes

Scary Stories for Young Foxes

Christian McKay Heidicker draws inspiration from Bram Stoker, H. P. Lovecraft and Edgar Allen Poe for his debut middle-grade novel, a thrilling portrait of survival and an unforgettable tale of friendship.

The haunted season has arrived in the Antler Wood. No fox kit is safe.

When Mia and Uly are separated from their litters, they discover a dangerous world full of monsters.
Expected publication: August 20th 2019 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about Scary Stories for Young Foxes, please sign up.
Christian McKay YES. Yes yes yes. I cannot stress that enough. My early readers will confirm: it's scary.

But it's what I've started to call 'National Geographic…more

But it's what I've started to call 'National Geographic scary.' As in, nothing happens in these books that doesn't happen in the wild. If your kid can handle Planet Earth, they can handle this. There are a TON of scientifically-based facts about foxes, and kids will come away enlightened (if a little chilled) and hopefully better for the experience. And there are plenty of fuzzy feelings along the way to stoke the reader's bravery.

You've been warned. Lovingly.(less)
Christian McKay Excellent question, Me.

(Those of you who want a wholly pure experience going in should probably stop reading nnnnnnnnnnnow.)

It's a short story…more
Excellent question, Me.

It's a short story collection . . . with all the walls knocked down between the stories to create a novel. The same characters wind their way through from whiskers to tail, and they grow with each new horrifying encounter.

So if you don't enjoy short story collections (they are woefully underread these days), fear not! (Well, um, fear. Just don't fear the novel's structure.) And if you know some reluctant young readers, assure them that the stories and chapters have been nibbled up into perfectly digestible bits to be read before bedtime.

Although, if you're anything like my friends, you might want to read it while the sun is still shining.(less)

Mary S. R.
Jan 06, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Christian McLay Heidicker's middle-grade novel, a thrilling portrait of survival and an unforgettable tale of friendship.

*Sighs* why was this book not there when I was a kid playing on the moist and fresh grass, jumping in pools and shooting my brothers with water guns, tackling my poor friends and burying them under mounds of fallen leaves left in the park, and attacking the passerby with ruthless snow bullets???
Hmm? Why wasn't it there?

Alas, do not despair, the child in me is quite active, tha
Jessica
Jan 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love foxes. I just . . . I love them so much, guys! So every time I find a picture book about foxes, or there's a fox in any kind of book I have to have it, and I'm so excited! But then often sad. Not so much in the picture books, but in the middle grade books where foxes DIE all the time and it's horrible and unnecessary and full of moralizing and all Black Beauty-esque. (Seriously people, WTH? Let. The. Foxes. Be.)

I had decided after Pax that I would stick to picture book foxes, but then I f
Hannah Garrett
Dec 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I can’t describe just how much I love this book. It reads to you like you’re one of the foxes, listening to the sage storyteller. You travel through tall grass, wind between trees in the forest, smell purple, jump over large barriers, and feel everything Mia and Uly feel. Each story has a distinctness, and also carries a thread from beginning to end. I haven’t cried at the end of a book as much as I did with this one. Tears of joy and sorrow. But mostly feeling like I immediately missed reading ...more
Ernest Robertson
Mar 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I got my hands on an Advance Reader's Edition, and wow.

I'm not going to say much, out of fear of spoiling something, so I'll leave it at this:

Terrifying.
Funny.
Edge of the seat thriller.
Courageous.
Heartbreaking.
Heartwarming.
Incredible use of language that puts me 100% into the minds of these poor fox kits.
Stayed with me long after the read.
A new addition to my list of all-time favorite books.
Krys Mcintyre
Mar 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Scary Stories for Young Foxes is both chilling and tender. I devoured it and loved every bite.
Rebecca
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bedtime-stories
Brilliantly written. I started reading and only stopped when I went to get a hoodie and blanket to keep from shivering- the scary story kind of shivering- where you curl up under a blanket and peek out because you *have* to know what happens next. For some reason, I expected this book to be... well... NOT scary. I had to keep reminding myself that I am not a young fox, and badgers and steel traps and humans are not *that* scary. And yet, these young foxes' fight for survival feels incredibly rea ...more
Katherine Moore
Life as a young fox is scary, with so much to learn about the dangers out there in the woods. Little foxes learn about these dangers from their mama, a masterful storyteller, or the hard way, by facing the world.
This beautifully-written and illustrated middle-grade book invites the reader to step inside the minds of little foxes, and embark on an adventure, full of the real-life challenges that they often face:
Nasty humans, vicious woodland creatures like the Golgathursh and badgers, and dange
Jera Petersen
Feb 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The epitome of theatrical syntax, Christian Heidicker’s writing is rich in detail yet clear in meaning; enveloping the perfect mix of anticipatory foreshadowing with the stomach-dropping realization of hindsight. Even if it were stripped of its’ magnificent attention to detail, the emotionally-charged plot and seat-edged pace of Scary Stories for Young Foxes requires that you (yes, YOU) buy this book ASAMPLR (As Soon As Miss Potter Leaves the Room) with no regard for current proximity to October ...more
Emi
Jan 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book touched all of my little heart and soul strings in all the right places! Lured me in and made me reflect on love, life and loss. Exactly what I needed to read!
Jac
Feb 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was honored to receive an ARC in exchange for an honest review... and I have hesitated to write one for multiple reasons. Mainly, I don’t think I have the writing skills to describe my feelings about this book. I’ll try to summarize in 3 points:

1. I forced myself to stop reading twice so that I could try to savor each page. Even still, I finished it in 3 days.

2. I know what I am getting every single person on my Christmas list this year. (Hint: it’s this book. Not a joke.)

3. It honestly feel
Maggie
Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I grew up loving scary stories and wish this was one of the books I had on my shelf when I was younger. Told from the perspective of a wise old fox to kits, the tale weaves together the story of two young foxes as they navigate the dangers of life when they are forced to leave the comfort of their dens. There are a lot of twists and turns in this book, and I found it hard to put down. The characters are complex and lovely - saying 'goodbye' at the end was difficult.

Heidicker is original and imag
Page
Jan 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Although this novel targets a teen demographic, I, as an attempted adult, thoroughly enjoyed it. The different short stories touch on many characteristics of horror fiction but they all maintain H P Lovecrafts’ idea of ‘fear of the unknown’. The two young kits that dominate the story are constantly challenged with loss, survival, companionship and abandonment, all while bringing to light issues such as conservation, chain of command and disease. You’ll start to compare your own life experiences ...more
Davey Davis
Feb 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you've ever seen a fox at work, you've probably noticed that they're a cut above most animals when it comes to resourcefulness. In Heidicker's new book, the secret lives of foxes growing up are imbued with as much magic, mystery, and relatability as any of the great middle-grade/YA literature to date.

What start out as extant short stories weave together into a compelling narrative focusing on Mia and Uly, young foxes in their first winter out of the den. These cautionary tales are told to a
Danielle
Mar 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Heidicker is an amazing storyteller. I never expected that some of my favorite characters would be foxes, but I quickly became attached to Mia and Uly and related on so many levels to their stories. Within the first few pages, I felt like I was perceiving the world through all five senses as a little kit fox (and didn’t put the book down for six hours). I’m convinced Heidicker was a fox in a past life - how else could he perfectly capture all of the intimate and nuanced details of fox-hood?! Bra ...more
Shannoningletyahoo.Com
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A chillingly delightful read for foxes and humans alike! As the Storyteller recounts the harrowing journey of the kits, Mia and Uly, haunting cautionary tales unfold, reminding all of us that growing up in this world is perilous, but friendship and family make it worthwhile.
I highly recommend this book… if you’re brave enough to enter the Antler Wood.
Beatrice Teigen
Feb 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! It only took me two days to read it because I couldn't put it down. My favorite part about it was the two amazing and invincible Uly and Mia. Thank you Christian McKay Heidicker for creating this frightening, intriguing story about two young foxes that just would not die. I would recommend this book to all of my brave friends.
Annie
Mar 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Beautifully written, matched by illustrations that suit the tone of the stories perfectly. Be aware that these stories really are scary. Baby foxes are adorable, for sure. These stories, however are not cute. They are frightening and poignant, and engage pretty brilliantly with some of the great tropes of horror writing. Yes, you still get your middle-grade happy ending. But be prepared for some violent deaths along the way.
Cheryl McKay
Dec 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Although this book is written for young foxes it gave me the shivers. It shows real problems that the kits will probably face during their lives which added another dimension to the tales. Youthful animals and children don't really understand what might face them in their worlds and these stories brought back that naivety as I perused each chapter. The personalities are well developed and they interplay on deep levels adding the intricate touch that a quality novel contains.
Quinton Inglet
Jan 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Amazing story! The colorful and poetic language is the only indicator that this book is intended for younger readers. Entertaining for all ages!
Beittany
May 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book had me laughing, crying, and cringing. It's a perfect story for those, young and old, who are imaginative and curious, much like our new little fox friends.
Christian McKay
Oct 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Alan Mouritsen