Start by marking “Whiteout: A Nick Ventner Adventure (The Nick Ventner Adventures, #1)” as Want to Read:
Whiteout: A Nick Ventner Adventure (The Nick Ventner Adventures, #1)

Whiteout: A Nick Ventner Adventure (The Nick Ventner Adventures, #1)

Nick Ventner is a drunk with a blatant disregard for others. He’s also damned good at hunting creatures that aren’t supposed to exist. From amateur necromancers in the bayou to Sasquatch impersonators in the Pacific Northwest, Nick’s seen it all. Even if some of the details might be a little fuzzy.

In Whiteout, Nick faces his greatest challenge to date. Accompanied by his t
Paperback, 1'st, 297 pages
Published May 1st 2018 by Aberrant Literature

To ask other readers questions about Whiteout, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Whiteout

Start your review of Whiteout: A Nick Ventner Adventure (The Nick Ventner Adventures, #1)
TheCrookedHouse
Nov 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The best way that I can describe this book is: think Indiana Jones meets Supernatural.

Cryptid stories, especially Bigfoot stories, are not all that common in the land of fiction, so this book made for an interesting read. Combine the unique storyline with Nick Ventner, an alcoholic but quick witted adventurer, and you get an epic adventure worthy of a series.

One of the things that I was most pleased with was the separation of past and present with chapters and the use of 1st and 3rd person nar
Rellim
I found this book by following Aberrant Literature on Twitter and I’m so glad I did. I borrowed it thinking that it was horror, and while it sort of fits that category it’s more like action/adventure/thriller with some gruesome scenes. There’s also a huge comedic element due to the irreverent humor and musings of the main character, Nick Ventner. He’s a delightful mashup of Indiana Jones, Van Helsing, and House (you know, the insanely smart yet constantly high TV doctor?). Nick prefers his inebr ...more
Kristian Walls
May 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Ashton has brought to life an amazing world of supernatural. I was enthralled from beginning to end. Nick Ventner is a fantasticly entertaining character. This book is a must read and I look forward to the many adventures Nick will take me on for years to come.
Matt (TeamRedmon)
Aug 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Firstly, right up front, there's not as much bigfoot/yeti in this book as I wanted or expected. That was a disappointment but despite that disappointment, I still really enjoyed this book. It's a weird mix of Supernatural, Uncharted, and Indiana Jones that shouldn't work but it does. This book is quite fun. If you're into adventure stories, you'll dig this.
Brad
Aug 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
3.5 rounded up to 4 for Goodreads.

Whiteout by Ashton Macaulay is a bit different from the books I have been reading as of late. It is an action adventure novel with bits of horror splashed in here and there. Picture Indiana Jones as a narcissistic drunk who instead of searching for ancient treasures hunts down mythical monsters of legend. That is our protagonists Nick Venter in a nutshell.

Now that's not to say that Nick Venter isn't unlikable. He has his moments where he is full of snark or he t
Jenessa Gayheart
Apr 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
After all the stories I’d heard throughout my life about aliens, Bigfoot, mermaids, Grendel, and the Loch Ness Monster, I had never heard a story about the Yeti, so I looked forward to reading Macaulay’s Yeti Hunter scenario. His character introduction and adventure set-up didn’t disappoint. The fact that the whole book is Nick telling the story of the hunt to a man who said he’d pay thousands to hear it suggests that the story is going to be THAT good.

Nick’s personality is written in an over-th
Nathan
May 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
As the debut novel from a new author, Whiteout was a solid introduction. Readers will find that this will be the first in a series that (hopefully) runs several installments. Macaulay did a great job of interspersing world-building elements throughout the story without detracting from the overall narrative (For instance, one can only assume that another arcane Black Market will appear in subsequent Nick Ventner adventures.).

The story was pretty standard action/suspense fare for fans of The Dres
Vikkie
Jul 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is another book which is completely away from my preferred genre. However, lockdown has me reading anything I can get my hands on.
I loved the supernatural element to this book, I think that’s what kept my attention and Ashton has done a fantastic job of pulling me in.
I was really shocked to find this is a debut novel. I never would’ve said that because this has been a fantastic read. I haven’t been able to put it down.
This is completely different to anything I’ve read before, but I have lov
Ethan P
May 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Whiteout’s strength is clearly in the world Macaulay creates. Whenever supernatural story elements are present, it’s easy to make lazy decisions and rely too much on outside material. Whiteout, luckily, does not suffer from this fate.

The world is inventive, the characters believable, and the action clear and fast-paced. A great, quick jaunt up a mountain that builds a world in which any story would be entertaining. Highly recommend, and definitely looking forward to more of Nick!
Nellik
May 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A delightfully layered, pulp-inspired, booze-fueled adventure up a mountain. Nick Ventner is a monster hunter, but he certainly wouldn’t call himself a hero. This novel is an enjoyable read that by the end was difficult to put down. I found myself quickly absorbed into the author’s world. I am excited to see further adventures with Nick Ventner. I strongly recommend picking this book up.
Riley McGaff
Apr 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The author does such a wonderful job of building a world around the story in the novel with enticing tid bits that make it feel like Nick really has lived through many adventures. I can’t wait to read more of his adventures!
Deb Randolph
May 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bring on more Nick and crew!

What an adventure! Nick Ventner and apprentice set off to find a Yeti and the "fun" begins. This book is full of surprises but I really enjoyed the humor. If you love a good monster/creature book then try this one. It's different in a very good way. I look forward to reading more of his adventures.
Kyle Bennin
Apr 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great writing. The writer does an amazing job of mixing suspense, drama, and humor, keeping you on the edge while reading, but also laughing out loud as you turn the pages. Can't wait to read more from Ashton Macaulay, going to be a favorite on my book shelf.
tyoung2058
Jul 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Kinda too many things packed into this story other than the yeti
Ben Mariner
Jul 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
I always go into books I know nothing about with a hefty bit of skepticism simply because of read so many really bad books. I don't expect them to be bad, I just prepare myself for them to be. Whiteout, however, was a pleasant surprise. This was exactly my kind of book from the story line to the humor. I loved Nick's sarcastic, wry wit and his seeming inability to take anything seriously. I'm the same way and I really connect with that in a character. While Nick Ventner hunts creatures that don' ...more
Jason Peters
Apr 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Whiteout is one of the best adventure novels I've read in a long time. The main character, Nick Ventner, is a sarcastic, (mostly) good-natured alcoholic who also happens to hunt monsters and treasure. He reminds me of Indiana Jones crossed with Nathan Drake served with a dash of your alcoholic uncle that ruins every Thanksgiving.

In Whiteout, Nick sets out to search for the lost gates of Shangri-La, rumored to lie in the peak of the Himalayas, with his equally sarcastic apprentice James. When he
Kayla (krakentoagoodbook)
This was such a fun concept! I really enjoy mountain climbing/expedition books that involve some supernatural or horror elements, so this was a great fit for me. I could have used a bit more yeti moments, but I liked what we had with the yeti and other creatures. The incorporation of Shangri-La was awesome!

This has a story within a story structure where Nick recounts this adventure to someone. I thought both aspects were quite interesting! You definitely get a sense that this person Nick is talk
Loren249
May 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A crazy adventure from start to finish. Nick Ventner is a tall glass of whiskey distilled from equal parts Indiana Jones, Fox Mulder and Rick Sanchez. Macaulay writes with creativity and sarcastic humor reminiscent of Douglas Adams, but the story is as much a thriller as anything, and I was on the edge of my seat for the entire latter half of the book. Macaulay also has an amazing talent for painting a beautiful 3-dimensional world without any long Dickensian passages. The chapters are bite-size ...more
Vanessa Krauss
Apr 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Book starts as a story within a story with the intrepid Nick Ventner, cryptozoologist extraordinaire summoned to regale his wealthy host over an extraordinary tale of the yeti and Shangri-La. A monster fic, with great world-building and intricate lore, linked to a character who drinks too much, seen too much, and yet can somehow still be surprised. Live for the character, his insight and his wit, and it is fun to go along for this epic adventure into frightening snow-filled peaks, risking life a ...more
Perry Wolfecastle
Oct 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Full review coming soon
Jason Peters
Apr 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

John Ceccarelli
Apr 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent drunken romp up and down "Not Everest", complete with hunters and monsters galore. Macaulay takes inspiration from many of the great monster hunting books and movies throughout the times, and combines them with an Indiana Jones feel to give us a fantastic Anti-Hero who just wants to get drunk and get paid. The character development throughout the story is rich between Ventner and his apprentice, and the pacing is superb. There's a great blend of action and storytelling as we learn m ...more
Chase Mehan