Start by marking “Flight” as Want to Read:
Flight

Flight

Austria 1945. After losing his family, Jakob shelters with Herr Engel in a rural stable, where they hide the precious Lipizzanner stallions they know Hitler wants to steal. When a German officer comes looking for Jakob and finds the horses, Jakob and his guardian know they must get the stallions to safety, but the only way is straight through Nazi territory. Joined by Kizz ...more
Published August 1st 2018 by Firefly Press Ltd (first published 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Flight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Flight

Start your review of Flight
Amy
Aug 09, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book didn’t blow my mind, but it was a quick and easy read and hey it has horses in it so I am bound to love it as I love anything with the word horse in it as I’m a big horse fanatic. It was a nice story, nothing major happened which made me want to read it ASAP, but still a good read. Also it’s historical fiction, which again is a big love for me, so I knew I would enjoy it purely because of that as well.
Basically if you love horses or history, read this book. 3/5 stars from meee.
M.E. Vaughan
Dec 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Set in the turbulent background of Austria, during the final years of of World War II, this is a story of courage, compassion and friendship. Young Jakob is a Jewish orphan with a powerful bond to horses. Under the care of Herr Engel, Head Groom of the Spanish Riding School, Jakob has managed to evade the Nazis do far. But when a tip-off results in the death of one of their horses, Jakob and Herr Engel must flee, and take the horses with them Teaming up with Kizzy, a young Roma girl, the begin a ...more
Christina Reid
Dec 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Surprisingly dark at times, yet hopeful story of a boy called Jakob and a girl called Kizzy, both of whom are 'unclean' by the standards of the controlling Nazi party in Austria. When the Nazi party threatens the horses in the Spanish Riding School, Jakob, Kizzy and the head groom set out to bring to horses to safety.
This book really evokes a strong sense of time and place, putting you in Jakob's shoes as he experiences terror, joy and everything in between. A brilliant read for Upper KS2!
Lucas
Aug 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
It's 1944 and Jakob is hiding from the Nazis...

My full review here: https://bit.ly/2AOnOT8
Anthony Burt
Mar 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Move over Morpurgo, there's a stunning new gritty, emotional war horse story here and it's called Flight.

Written with beautiful, engaging and accessible prose for its middle-grade readership, Vanessa Harbour's Flight is - of course - a completely different story to Michael Morpurgo's brilliant War Horse. But, Flight stands on its own four legs because it grabs you from page one and doesn't let go. You could say it gallops towards the end.

The story is about Jakob, a Jew boy who has lost his paren
BooksForTopics
Sep 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Flight is a tale of war and survival. The story is at once harrowing and hopeful as it explores the theme of protecting those who are unable to protect themselves.

In 1945 rural Austria, Jakob is a Jewish boy who is in hiding from the Nazis. After losing his own family, Jakob has found shelter in a horse stable under the guardianship of Herr Engel. Jakob is not the only one being protected there; the stables also secretly harbour a group of precious Lipizzaner stallions that Hitler wishes to stea
Mary Judy
Mar 16, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gripping from the very first sentence; "If Jakob sneezed he could die", this is a powerful, yet delicate tale that has all the impact of a classic while still being fast-paced, incredibly incisive and compelling. While there are many WWII stories, and many more emerging; while there is a huge canon of horse stories, this one stands head and shoulders above them. With richly described settings, the plot is carefully woven to reveal the peril of its' time and the courage and hope within its' chara ...more
Kristin Crouch
Nov 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Flight is a novel in verse that beautifully tells the tale of Jakob and Herr Engel, who charge themselves with moving the Lipizzanner stallions they care for before Hitler's soldiers can steal them.
In a time during which civilians would kill the horses for food, and the Nazis would do so for fun, this is an edge-of-your-seat adventure. Ms. Harbour does an amazing thing- she gives each horse a distinct personality. So much so, that I stopped to revel in the fact that I was growing familiar and a
Nick Garlick
Sep 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I don’t know what the pull is when it comes to horses and danger, but show me any such story and I’m hooked right then and there. Dick Francis thrillers; Stacy Gregg’s The Island of Lost Horses and Darby Karchut’s Del Toro Moon; even the Australian World War I film The Lighthorsemen – it doesn’t matter what age range they’re aimed at, I can’t get enough of them.

Now there’s Vanessa Harbour’s Flight, about a young boy and his mentor leading several Lipizzaner stallions to safety during World War
Luna
Aug 02, 2018 rated it liked it
I loved the premise of this book, but the execution left something to be desired. For a WWII narrative, and a chase book, it seemed very slow? And even though the stakes were VERY high -- Jakob is a young Jewish boy on the run from Nazis -- you never felt the danger? There was something off about the internal dialogue and pacing.

That being said, I do think some of my problems with the book are probably because I don't read a lot of Middle Grade and I'm used to pacier, scarier YA. Parts of this
Emily
Feb 10, 2019 rated it liked it
This was a great premise for a book: exciting setting in Nazi Austria, interesting plot about needing to transport stallions, two child characters representing minority ethnic groups...
It started with a tense and gripping scene with a Nazi SS man searching for a Jewish boy. However I didn’t find that this book sustained the same level of interest. To be fair, I think it is aimed at KS2 but I found some of the reading, particularly character description, simple and clunky. I was also bothered by
Sandy
Jun 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant! I am not particularly fond of horses, but I do appreciate books that involve the connection between a person and a horse. I also read almost every book about the various ways people showed resistance against the Nazis, or managed to endure in secret to the end of the war.
So, I can say this book is a gem. Drama and tension, highs and lows of feeling, and accomplishments that make other people change their minds about what could be attempted. All here in this book.
Perhaps it is even o
H.S.
Apr 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mg
This thrilling, unputdownable WW2 adventure follows Jakob (a Jewish boy) and Kizzy (a Roma girl) on their mission to save a string of Lipizzaner horses in 1945’s Austria. I enjoyed the plot of this well-paced story and loved seeing the friendships develop between Jakob and Kizzy, Jakob and his guardian, and between the humans and the horses. If I had read this, years ago, when I was a preteen and obsessed with horses, this would no doubt have been one of my favourite books.
Bex
Sep 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book, it's a gentle jog (with some tough themes, appropriate for the age of the readers) through an escape set towards the end of the war with a Jewish boy and a Roma girl - and a lot of horses - at the centre of it. It would give plenty of topic of conversation for those reading it with their children, and adults can appreciate it to. Well researched.
Susmita Bhattacharya
Jan 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved reading Flight, it is now one of my favourite books! I enjoyed seeing Jakob and Kizzy fight against the obstacles in their race to save the horses. The characters were really exciting and seemed so real. The book is actually based on a real life event and I liked it because I had learnt about this before. I thoroughly loved the book and hope to see a sequel soon!- RB, 12 yo
Robin Bennett
Jul 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was very lucky to get my hands on a review copy of Flight. It immediately put me in mind of the classic, I am David. I love books that are journeys (literal and metaphorical) and this hit the spot on both counts. In a world of books about mystery and magic this was a satisfying alternative.
Lily
Nov 10, 2018 rated it it was ok
2.5 stars?
Emy
For transparency, the author is my PhD supervisor and I'm very close to her. I've tried not to let that colour my view of her book, though.

I don't read middle grade very often any more, and obviously I wasn't the target audience for this book. But I enjoyed it anyway.

I really liked the characters of Jakob and Kizzy, a Jewish boy and a Roma girl, on the run from the Nazis towards the end of the Second World War. They seemed real to me, and I particularly liked the streak of fire in Kizzy's person
Lucy-May
This was a really heart-warming story, especially considering it’s themes, that is a great way to introduce young readers to World War 2 & it’s horrors. I loved the characters & the horses’ personalities; they all felt real & all developed a place in my heart.

⚠️ Watered down war themes, harming animals & death ⚠️

Elizabeth
Jul 24, 2020
Caroline Minic
Nov 26, 2018

• A Pinch of Magic (A Pinch of Magic, #1)
  • The Fox Girl and the White Gazelle
  • Seaglass
  • The Boy Who Flew
  • The Girl Who Speaks Bear
  • The Way Past Winter
  • Tilly and the Bookwanderers (Pages & Co. #1)
  • The Clockwork Crow (The Clockwork Crow #1)
  • Here in the Real World