Start by marking “Bonkers About Beetles” as Want to Read:
Bonkers About Beetles

Bonkers About Beetles

Did you know that there are roughly 400,000 different species of beetles? These incredible creatures make up about 25% of all animals on our planet! Beetles are superbly adapted to life in various climates across the world, wherever trees and flowers are found. From the mighty Goliath beetle to the beautiful iridescent scarab beetle, this captivating and stunningly ...more
Published June 5th 2018 by Flying Eye Books

To ask other readers questions about Bonkers About Beetles, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bonkers About Beetles

Start your review of Bonkers About Beetles
Hilary
May 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Young children who love nature
A wonderful book full of beautiful, bright and colourful illustrations that really are gorgeous to look at with lots of really interesting facts and information too. Ideal for the small entomologist in your life!
sylas
Sep 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids, non-fict
Fun and full of amazing beetle trivia! I learned so much and have a renewed love for these fascinating bugs.
Amanda
Sep 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fantastic book that I think would really draw children into seeing the fun in non-fiction! The information is presented clearly and in a progression that makes sense. I think the author presents enough to be informative and comprehensive without delving so deep that a beginning reader gets lost or bored. And, let's be honest, these illustrations are divine! Absolutely stunning, even when picturing dung beetles, which I think is a feat no mean illustrator could pull off. I'm excited to look into ...more
Margie
Jul 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
With the advent of lots of rain and the warm temperatures, summer is in full bloom in northern Michigan. There is an abundance of critters of all shapes and sizes and flowers, shrubs and trees in the wild. Gardeners are giddy with their flourishing vegetables, annuals and perennials. The air is literally humming with the sounds of life, buzzing honeybees, chirping crickets, melodious birdsong and the unmistakable huffs of startled rabbits and deer.

The more we know about those creatures sharing
Rhica
Nov 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An approachable book about some the world's coolest critters.
Definitely for someone who is interested in learning basic information about beetles.
The art is lovely. Owen Davey is an excellent artist. The colors and shapes are very pretty.
Anyone could pick up this book and learn something new, even the squeamish.
Nancy
Jun 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
I love Owen Davey's books, especially his book about sharks. His illustrations in each book have a retro-modern feel to them. It's as if Audubon went graphic. The page on camouflage alone is enough reason to pick up this book.
Davey's books are also high on information. Lots here for budding (and already budded) naturalists to love.
Angela Germany
Mar 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is gorgeous. The language is easy to understand and graphics are engaging. I especially liked the segment on Beetle Mythology. I also learned what those creepy alien-looking things are in my garden, beetle larva.
Readerfox
Aug 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I knew almost all the information about beetles that are in this book, but nevertheless, it was a pleasure to read it because of the beautiful illustration.
Charlie
Jun 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved this - interesting facts which got me nicely through a class visit, and visually stunning. Off to see if I can find the others in the series. Never realised how cool beetles are. Beetles rock!
Kristen Thorp
Oct 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My obsession with Owen Davey made me read an entire beetle book.
Tanisha
as a girl who hates creepy crawly bugs- i have to say the illustrations in this book are pretty cute. i really enjoy the artwork in this book.
Ann Williams
Jul 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Great non fiction read about beetles. Will definitley check out more books by this author.
WheeldonHS
Dec 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: entomology, stem
This is a really lovely book full of interesting information about insects.

My son really enjoyed the gorgeous illustrations and I really loved the feel of the think paper pages.
Awjtf
Aug 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
This book is amazing!
Angie  Moore
Jul 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Gorgeous illustrations! This whole series is a must add to my libraries!
Andrea Engle
Jun 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-read-2018
An artistic treasure, wasted on the young ... ideal gift for little boys who happen to like bugs ... a visual treat ...
kit kat
Dec 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
absolutely amazing.
Dimity Powell
Jul 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-lit
Love it. Wish there were more picture books around like this when I was a young curious entomologist.
Ed
Aug 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really love these books by Owen Davey. They are fun to read, and the illustrations are fascinating.
Rebekah Fraser
Dec 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: booklovers
Did you know that there are roughly 400,000 different species of beetles? These incredible creatures make up about 25% of all animals on our planet. Beetles are superbly adapted to life in various climates across the world, wherever trees and flowers are found.

From the mighty Goliath beetle to the beautiful iridescent scarab beetle, this captivating and stunningly illustrated guide will teach you everything you need to know about these fascinating insects.

The latest addition to Davey's

• Bob the Artist
  • Thank You, Omu!
  • The Proudest Blue
  • It Began with a Page: How Gyo Fujikawa Drew the Way
  • Emily Dickinson's Gardening Life: The Plants and Places That Inspired the Iconic Poet
  • I Am the Boss of this Chair
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender: Smoke and Shadow (Avatar: The Last Airbender, Library Edition, #4)
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender: The Rift (Avatar: The Last Airbender, #3)
  • The Legend of Korra: Ruins of the Empire, Part One (Ruins of the Empire, #1)
  • The Legend of Korra: Ruins of the Empire, Part Two (Ruins of the Empire, #2)
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender: North and South (Avatar: The Last Airbender, Library Edition, #5)
  • Dear Tabby
  • Our Rainbow Queen
  • Beatrix Potter's Gardening Life: The Plants and Places That Inspired the Classic Children's Tales
Owen Davey describes his style as contemporary and nostalgic and likes to use a palette of warm, muted colors. His work has been featured in the New York Times and Jamie Oliver's food magazine. Owen has had many knightly adventures of his own where he lives in Bristol, England.