Start by marking “Exile” as Want to Read:
Exile

Exile

(Exile #1)

A shackled Earth, ruled by an unstoppable tyrant
An exiled son, and a one-way trip across the galaxy
A perfect world, their last hope for survival

Vice Admiral Isaac Gallant is the heir apparent to the First Admiral, the dictator of the Confederacy of Humanity. Unwilling to let his mother's tyranny stand, he joins the rebellion and leads his ships into war against the might
Published July 17th 2018 by Faolan's Pen Publishing Inc.

To ask other readers questions about Exile, please sign up.
Travis This is book 1 of a series. The second book (refuge) is already out.
Hope that helps.

Start your review of Exile
TheDigressiveApproach
May 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: sci-fi and space opera lovers
Shelves: arcs
This ARC was provided by the publisher and NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
---
Exile starts in the middle of a revolution started by Admiral Gallant against the dictatorial regime/the Confederacy run by his mother. The revolution fails and Admiral Gallant. along with his revolutionaries and anyone who so much as hints at disagreeing with his mother's Confederacy, is banished to a system away from the reaches of the Confederacy. There, the Admiral must start a civilisation made up for
Suz
Aug 02, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio, scifi, space_opera

This was absolutely a space opera. There were times when I thought the descriptions of the logistics of forcibly sending 4 million colonists across the galaxy with no way for them to return went on a bit too long.

That said it was a good foundation for what could be an excellent, character driven series.

And I would happily listen to J.D. Jackson read a phone book.
Patrick
Dec 26, 2019 rated it it was ok
Fun but thin

The series direction looks interesting. Alien created AI's, pre-terraformed planets, deprived of key technological data and killer AI's is a heady mix.
The exiles are in a bad way and the plot seems ready to explode with all sorts of possibility.

The flat characters don't really make the most of it. Christians? make up all of the religious portion of the population? A pacifist priest automatically wants to reduce the navy budget, even when it doesn't impact on the resource
Shonari
Jul 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Interesting premise. I sure hope this is book one in what's to become a series.
Lee
Jul 23, 2018 rated it it was ok
I read an ARC procured at BookCon in NYC. I have no clue what (if anything) has been edited.

A few thoughts without too many spoilers:

The first chapter is just a word salad of ship names and ill-defined technology. I almost put the book down before I made it through. The story would be better suited starting in the second chapter with the introduction of Amelie Lestraud - it's her rebellion after all.

Admiral Gallant. Yep. That's his name. He's chivalrous. Gallant even. Too many names of people,
Liz (Quirky Cat)
Aug 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-reads
I received a free copy of Exile while I was at BookCon. There’s no obligation for me to leave a review, but I am choosing to do so.

Exile is the first in a series of one of my favorite types of science fiction subgenre: Space Opera. In this case it’s all about tyranny, the fight for justice, and forming a new colony. It’s actually quite a lot of ground that Glynn Stewart managed to cover. I’m sure at least some of the groundwork was laid down in his other series, but without having read them
Jo  (Mixed Book Bag)
Don't be fooled when you start this book. I felt like I was dropped into the middle of a series and I had not read the first book. Turns out that was just world building and back story. What seemed like a continuation of a previous book in a series was the start of a new series. This is very good space opera. Rebels and troublemaker are sent across the universe to form a new colony. There is no return and in true space opera fashion what seems to be too good to be true may be. There are some ...more
Online Eccentric Librarian
Jul 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, arc

More reviews (and no fluff) on the blog http://surrealtalvi.wordpress.com/

I have read several Glynn Stewart books now and all have a running theme of not being overly technical combined with an emphasis of good people trying to do the right thing in a shifting culture. He avoids a lot of the 'evil villain' cliches; mostly it's about people with conflicting priorities and desires all working within their own constraints. With Exile, we have a book in three somewhat disparate parts:
Luiz
Jan 17, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: sci-fi
Terribly boring

There was a good action scene about 60% in. Any reader will have to wait at least until the 30% mark, as that is where the book starts picking up the pace.

The first third of the book is a setup that is just too long since it really didn't impact much of the rest of the book. The second third was an attempt at colonization sci-fi, but it failed as the author was more interested in the politics, and he didn't make a very good job of it. The last third was an attempt at first
John Purvis
Jun 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"Exile" eBook was published in 2018 (July) and was written by Glynn Stewart (https://www.glynnstewart.com). Mr. Stewart has published 27 novels.

I received an ARC of this novel through https://www.netgalley.com in return for a fair and honest review. I categorize this novel as ‘R’ because it contains scenes of Violence and Mature Language. The story is set in the far future. The primary character is Vice Admiral Isaac Gallant.

Gallant is the heir to the leadership of the Confederacy of Humanity.
Lel Budge
Jun 01, 2018 rated it did not like it
I really liked the sound of this book but unfortunately I found it just to be about terraforming a new planet and setting up a new government. There was some action but there is just too much technical jargon for me.

There’s Isaac - dictators son and leader of alliance rebellion against the confederacy...mainly female leaders, doctors etc and a Movie star is the head of the rebellion. There are wormholes,, reference to building a better world ( isn’t that Weyland-Yutani’s slogan from Aliens).. A
Elentarri
Jun 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
NOTE: I received a copy of this book from NetGalley. This review is my honest opinion of the book.

Glynn Stewart has written a science fiction novel that has almost everything - space battles, a decent plot, indepth characters, strange new species, politicking, rebellion, civilization building, adventuring and new worlds.

The writing style is direct and makes the reader feel they are in the midst of the adventure. The main characters have depth, though a few of the more minor characters could have
Alice
Sep 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good book for a series

Not bad. A good set up with the failed coup and the massive exile of all dissenters, troublemakers and revolutionaries to the other side of the galaxy. Characters are almost there, but a little flat. If I read "Isaac chuckled..." one more time I would scream. By the end he actually laughed and it was a relief. Of course that still left others chuckling in the background. A larger emotional vocabulary would be beneficial. It would also add to the maybe type relationship
Enzo
Dec 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
I liked this SciFi title.
Glynn Stewart battle descriptions are really exciting. But first the book.
The Confederacy of Humanity is the ruling faction but a revolution is in the air. The abuses by the Confederacy have gone long enough. Vice Admiral Isaac Gallant is one of the beta leaders of the revolution. But to his surprise, the Confederacy was ready for them. Too late realizing this the revolution was cornered and gathered up. The Vice Admiral mother the leader of the Confederacy has no
Tom Burkholder
Jul 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
In the book Exile, author Glynn Stewart takes us into the future where the universe is struggling under dictatorship/communism style of government. But there is a group that wants to rebel but are thwarted. They are then sent into exile with everyone that the empire had in prison for any crime. Finding a new planet and forming a free, democratic government is simple compared to the coming threat and war to keep their new planet.
This was a good solid book with good character development. I would
Ian
Jun 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
*I received this book free via Netgalley.com in exchange for an honest review.*

Oh I loved it. It is so good.
So this is the story of an exiled colony attempting to rebuild a society, not quite from scratch but not without their fair share of problems.

It is a classic sci-fi space opera style story. There is spaceships, conflict, development.
Put simply, this is a really enjoyable story that contains a little bit for everyone.

I sincerely hope there is a sequel in development because I want to
Wendy
Jul 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Admiral Gallant has his hands full. After a failed rebellion against his Mother and her system, he ends up exiled to the far end of the galaxy with no way home. He, and several million other exiles, must start over and rebuild their society.

Amelie Lestroud, Famous actress, leader of the rebellion and fellow exile turned president must help him rebuild their new home, Exilium. A perfect planet for the exiles. A little too perfect.

The exiles soon find they are not alone in their new neighborhood
Aaron Anderson
This was 3.5 stars almost a 4 to me. I enjoyed it a lot more than the prequel, but the main character is still a bit annoying for me.

(view spoiler)
Shane
Aug 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: military-scifi
Three and half stars. Stewart does a great job of creating new universes with each of his series. Many authors seem to put different series in all one universe of maybe slight variations off a very similar one. Glynn Stewart makes each series fresh an unique. The downside (if it really is one) is that the first book has a lot of heavy lifting to create the new background.

This book does a solid job of building a new world and filling it with mostly interesting characters. The development seems
Christine (Purplemanatees)
Jul 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
purplemanatees.org
purplemanatees.org

Do you like Space? Science Fiction? Aliens? Spaceship battles? Well all of this is included in this great book!

When scouring the booths of Bookcon, we stumbled upon a booth solely dedicated toExile.The lady at the booth merely scanned our badges to allow for only one ARC per person, and we were gifted this wonderful novelwritten by Glynn Stewart.

The story is really well-thought out. You can tell that this book has been a long time in the making. The
Henry Lazarus
Aug 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Glynn Stewart is one of the newer authors I really like. Vice Admiral Isaac Gallant led a rebellion against his mother who had become dictator of the Confederacy. Easily putting the rebellion down, the conspirators were all sent seven hundred light years away on a one-way Exile (paper from Faolan's Pen Publishing). The planet they find is perfect, in fact too perfect because it was terraformed by alien robots, some of whom consider it sacred. With limited fighting ships they have to fight for ...more
Leslie Baptiste
Jan 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Good story, as promise.

I found this book a very interesting read. It was fast-paced and enjoyable, I also enjoyed the characters and the fact that they all had the beginnings of personality. I hope this series doesn’t fall into the usual category of a beleaguered group of people fighting in implacable Voe with inferior Technology and weapons. Some of Mr. Stewart’s books I’ve enjoyed immensely like the Dutchie of tera siri’s as well as the onset series others not so much. I gave the series a four
Michael
Sep 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book is a good start to a new science fiction series – it hits all of the main points for me with future tech that isn’t too far-fetched for me to conceptualize, nice character development, and the author tells a good story. I am regretting grabbing this one so early in the series as I’m ready for the next installment and will have to wait.

I picked this up during a Kindle promotion for 99 cents vs. its regular price of $4.99 and I certainly received more than $4.99 worth of entertainment
Eissa Ahmad
Aug 14, 2018 rated it it was ok
It's a fine book if you don't take any interest in the emotional state of the characters in whatever media you consume. While not particularly original (especially in terms of naming things) the author clearly has skill in putting together technical descriptions and a mind toward keeping the main thrust of the plot moving. I do appreciate what seems to be an honest effort Stewart has made to inject some diversity into a traditionally white and heternormative genre, without wading into tokenism.
Scott Maclean
Jul 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic new story

Glynn Stewart has a knack for telling great stories, and Exile is no exception. It didn’t go in the direction I expected - it kept throwing curves that I didn’t see coming. It has great characters, great settings, and interesting sci-fi tech and spaceship combat, coupled with a newly-emerging society trying to figure out the best way to keep everyone alive and prosperous. The only thing I don’t like is that now I have to wait for the next one!
Travis
Sep 05, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: story-bundle
If you liked Anne McCaffrey's freedom series, you'll enjoy this series as well. I've always been a fan of space adventures, building stories, and aliens especially, and this book has plenty of all three (well, perhaps not so much building, but there' some, and that's good enough). Plus, we kow for sure now that it's book 1 in a series, and that's even better. Great world building here :)
Really liked this one.
Mark Hill
Sep 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is the second series by Stewart that I have read and really enjoyed. He tells a good space opera yarn. There is a failed coup from the dictators only child. This forces her to exile of all dissenters, troublemakers and revolutionaries to the other side of the galaxy. So a good set up, I love a wormhole to new worlds scenario.

Issac started as a bit wooden of a main character but as the novel goes on he develops. Onto the next one.
D. Jensen
Aug 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Not a Bad Read

I actually think I've read this before. Some of the story, such as exiling four million people and having colony ships that can turn into cities goes beyond this reader's ability to internalize. I skimmed through the big battle because battles are boring and everyone knows that the "good guys" will emerge bloodied but victorious.
That said, Exile is a moment of distraction in a busy life. Not a bad thing.
Jonathan
Jul 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A Good Read

I enjoyed this book. I think you'll need to read the first one, Ashen Stars, to understand why there's a rebellion going on in the beginning. Otherwise it might be a rough start.

This book could be good just as a stand alone novel but I hope for a series. It ends at a good point but there's mysteries that need answers.
SA
Tyranny and rebellion, exile and new worlds, space battles / space opera and first contact, new spins on technology and AI: all things I like to see in a story.

Time, place and situation affect perception. Whether it was one of the aforementioned, the style of this book did not click for me at the time I read it

I received an Advance Reader Copy from NetGalley and Faolan's Pen Publishing in exchange for an honest review.

• Ruined Terra (Empire of Bones Saga, Book 11)
  • SADEs (The Silver Ships, #15)
  • Border Wars (Hayden War Cycle, #8)
  • Hidden Enemies (The Empire of Bones Saga, #9)
  • Stalwart (Kris Longknife, #19)
  • Bound by Blood (Vigilante, #5)
  • Race to Terra (Empire of Bones Saga, #10)
  • Delphi City (Delphi in Space #2)
  • Starship Sakira (Delphi in Space #1)
  • Delphi Alliance (Delphi in Space #5)
  • Delphi Nation (Delphi in Space #4)
  • Archangel Rising (Archangel One, #2)
  • It Ain't Over... (Cole & Srexx #1)
  • Delphi Station (Delphi in Space #3)
  • Fatal Fringe (Ether War, #1)
  • Haven Ascendant (Cole & Srexx #3)
  • Ashes of the Past (Ether War #2)
  • Attack Plan Alpha (Blood on the Stars #16)

Exile (3 books)