Start by marking “To See the Sun” as Want to Read:
To See the Sun

To See the Sun

3.85  ·  Rating details ·  215 Ratings  ·  69 Reviews
Survival is hard enough in the outer colonies—what chance does love have?

Life can be harsh and lonely in the outer colonies, but miner-turned-farmer Abraham Bauer is living his dream, cultivating crops that will one day turn the unforgiving world of Alkirak into paradise. He wants more, though. A companion—someone quiet like him. Someone to share his days, his bed, and his
Published August 13th 2018 by Riptide Publishing (first published August 11th 2018)

To ask other readers questions about To See the Sun, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about To See the Sun

~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
To See the Sun is not a warm story. Although the sun burns hot enough to kill, the planet where Bram has his farm is rocky and stormy. Humans live in crevasses below the surface, and dwellings are created from caves.

This sounds primitive, but that's what happens when humans destroy their own planet and have to seek other hospitable places in our vast universe.

This book is set in the distant future, where technology controls all, and humans live like rats underground. Gael escapes prison, possi
Alisa

I really loved this author's Chaos Station series (which if you haven't read you should) so I was excited to try this new stand alone book of hers. The story starts off with a bit of action as Gael finds himself in a seriously bad situation and has to make a major change to gain control of his life. He's desperate when he answers Bram's ad and doesn't expect more than a bit of safety and a fresh start. What he finds is a kind man and a chance at a life he never dreamed he could have.

One
Cadiva
Jul 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book started with a slow and slightly confusing opening chapter but got better and better once Gael got off the original planet and hitched his destiny with Bram.

It wouldn't have felt out of place for this narrative to have been a plot in an episode of Star Trek or perhaps Stargate - there was a very cinematic feel to the book and I had very clear visuals of both characters and setting.

There's lots of slow and steady relationship growth too, nothing felt hurried or out of place, Gael and Br
Chris, the Dalek King
A mail-order-bride style space western?…yes, please!

An elegant mix of the western and sci-fi genres, To See the Sun tells a story that at its heart readers will be familiar with, but told in such beautiful and enticing ways that they will hardly care. I grew up on these kinds of stories, and I’m not ashamed to admit that I have always had a weak spot for the kinds of romances where two people find themselves tied to each other, and yet have to struggle with being stuck with a virtual stranger, i
CrabbyPatty
I'm not the hugest fan of science fiction, but I really enjoyed this story set on Alkirak, an inhospitable half-terraformed planet with deep crevasses and poison mists. Bram is a "former miner turned farmer who [writes] poetry in his spare time" and longs for "the possibility of a family. Children. He wanted to share his life with another man. Someone quiet like him. Someone who wanted the same things."

Gael lives a hard-scrabble existence on Zhemosen, a garden planet for the wealthy, but where
Jo * Smut-Dickted *
Atmospheric and tense, To See the Sun is a slow build romance that balances sweet and loving with the reality of a hard life on an unforgiving planet.

Bram is a former foreman for a mining company turned farmer. He has built a life on Alkirak but he's lonely. Although on the outside he's all pragmatism and sensibleness, inside he seeks to find someone to love, cherish, and care for. He places an ad for a sort of "mail order husband" and finds Gael -who brings a lot of surprises into Bram's quiet
Kazza
My first Kelly Jensen story and it's a very nice way to start. If you like contemporary romance but you're worried about the sci-fi label, maybe don't be. Yes, it is set in another galaxy, there's excellent world building too, and there are words like sun and dust as expressions, but mostly it's a slow burn, character driven love story about two lonely guys, one complete with a sad past, who have shy but beautiful words and a lot of love to give to one another - over time. It's totally charming, ...more
Kathleen
Sep 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi

A truly wonderful sci-fi romance. Edge of your seat, imminent death one minute, slow burn love story the next. Set on an austere, inhospitable planet owned by a mining corporation, against impossible odds, Gael and Bram start a life together farming amidst acid mists, gale force winds, a toxic sun, and a violent past quickly catching up with them. Well done, Ms. Jensen.
annob
3.5 stars!
A sci-fi romance with echoes of mail order brides of the past. The world building was strong with details like futuristic profanities thrown in to get the right mood going. Descriptions of alien planets, futuristic cities, space suits, mining details etc was all nicely done to boost the sci-fi element.

Normally I'm a sucker for slow burn romances like this one, but this was close to being too slow for me. It balanced right on the edge of becoming boring. I would have wished for more che
Kelly
Apr 20, 2018 marked it as books-i-wrote  ·  (Review from the author)
Read the first three chapters! https://kellyjensenwrites.com/books/t...

This is perhaps the most romantic story I’ve ever written, which is probably why I had to set in on a planet with little to no atmosphere between the surface and the burning sun, and deep crevasses full of poisonous mists. I put the people in the crevasses too, in a limited green zone. It’s paradise—not. But for Abraham Bauer, it’s a chance to live his dream. He’s one of a handful of colonists dedicated to the effort of terra
JenMcJ
Aug 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Good world building, good sci/fi elements, good slow burn romance, good pacing, good conflicts. Uninteresting MC's. Both Gael and Bram suffered from being steady and boring. Even Aavi was too perfect which made her....boring. The most interesting character was the side character Price and we leave him behind on the original planet fairly quickly.

All around a good book but not super memorable despite the very interesting world the author built.
Georgie
Apr 20, 2018 rated it liked it
There is definitely enough here to pass a pleasant couple of hours. The MCs are attractive: Bram's loneliness, and Gael's damaged background ensure immediate sympathy for both. Jensen has form (Chaos Station) when it comes to creating new galatic worlds, so the conceit of a inter-stellar Mail Order Bride worked well. I liked, too, the slow-growing attraction between the MCs.

Where I thought the book was less successful was (view spoiler)
Laxmama
Jul 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: dual-pov, netgalley
I received this ARC review for an honest review for Netgalley. 3 1/2 Stars, this was an enjoyable book there was much about the story that I enjoyed; the slow burn, the unique story I liked what the author was trying to do with the world building. For me I found it confusing, I could. It quite grasp the concept the author was trying to portray. Although I liked the MC’s I felt something was missing.
Aki | nose buried in books | ❤️ |
I enjoyed this science fiction. At first it was a bit confusing, then I began to appreciate the plot and the world building - that is really well done and stunning - and I had clear images how the settings would be. I imagined every colour, atmospheric agents, rocks and worlds.
The characters are nicely portrayed, even the secondary ones.
The story between the mcs is a sweet, very sweet, slow burn romance and we have a lovely HEA.
Recommended if you love sci-fi romance!
Steven
Aug 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I hope to have a proper review for this one. An intergalactic mail order romance with vivid yet familiar world building and incredibly likable characters. Richly drawn with just the right amount of angst.

Ultimately hopeful and uplifting and worthy of 4.5 stars rounded up.
Daphne
Aug 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m-read, 2018-books
4.5 Stars.

Slow, steady, verbose but necessary to paint the picture of the brutal yet beautiful worlds of these planets. Gael, Bram and Aavi were so real and poignant. I loved this book and yet I’m exhausted and glad it’s done.

Absolutely recommend.
iam
Jul 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Such a calm and atmospheric read!

To See The Sun was really beautiful in an understated, down-to-earth way.
I want to say there is low angst and low drama, but things do happen that will tug on your heartstrings and make you fear for the characters.

Especially Gael's fate is painful to read. Living in the streets of a dark and lawless undercity, he hasn't had an easy life, but when he fails at a job for the family he's indebted to things take a turn for the worse. He needs to leave, and fast.
Lu
J1B
Oct 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An MM book that flirts with 'hard' science fiction?! Unheard of! I though this book was great, and Kelly Jensen is most definitely a staple of MM sci-fi. Yes, the odds that a mail-order 'companion' would genuinely fall in love with his 'purchaser' (it was more like online dating across the stars, but close enough) might be a little hard to believe, but this book allowed for such a scenario to credibly happen and I personally was sold. And both were gay! This author is a sure read for me going fo ...more
Sadie Forsythe
Jul 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I thought this was really lovely. There wasn't a lot of action, most of the tension being either in someone's fear something might happen or in the two men tiptoeing around getting to know one another, but it was nice. Jensen's writing is beautiful and there was a happy ending for all, except the baddies (who predominantly remained faceless).

I did side-eye the gendered representation of the men though. I don't mean to suggest all men have to be giant paragons of masculinity, but in the face of
⚣❣☙ Michaelle ❧❣⚣
Jun 27, 2018 marked it as to-read
Shelves: arc
ARC provided by NetGalley and Riptide Publishing in exchange for an honest review.
LOLA
Jun 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
A well done sci-fi. Bram is a farmer/miner on a planet that is only workable in the deep crevices. The sun on the surface is to hot for any growth. So after doing this work and living alone for a while, Bram decides to get a companion. Along come Gael. Who is running from trouble. This story is a slow burn romance.
Bram and Gael and up with some minor troubles and work towards living with and loving each other. This story is kind of sappy!
The story and plot are well done and characters are prett
Dumbledore11214
Aug 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Joyfully Jay
Aug 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kris
A Joyfully Jay review.

I love a good sci fi book, especially one with such rich world building as this one has. Add to that two MCs who just wormed their way into my heart, and it made for a great read. Some of the plot points were a little bit predictable, and Aavi was completely unexpected, but on the whole, I was completely absorbed in this book.

Right from the start, the author paints a picture of desperation, need, want, and desolation. With alternating third person POV, we get to s
Hart
Oct 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Between three and four stars, rounded up because some of my objections were just my own problems.

This book delivers exactly what I expected it to and what you would guess based on the summary. Ultimately, it reminded me of old-time Westerns, which meant it also reminded me somewhat of various Star Trek subplots. But I like those things. The setting is definitely original and plays an important role in the story.

Somehow, though, I didn't really feel the connection between the main characters. Fo
Amazonaute
Lola
I received a free copy through netgalley and voluntarily reviewed it.

To See the Sun was such a beautiful romantic story. It's about two people finding each other, but it's also a story about hope, about finding your sun, about finding your home. And about someone who has been through so much bad stuff and still finds a place to shine. It's one of the best books I read so far this year.

Ever since I first heard about this book I knew I had to read it and with every additional piece of information
Jen Hoskins
Aug 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, sff, romance
To See the Sun is a SF m/m romance, set almost entirely on the remote and hostile planet of Alkirak. Bram is an ex-miner turned farmer, leading a quiet life on his own land claim. Gael is an interstellar runaway from the dystopian megacity on the planet of Zhemosen, barely more than a kid, fleeing a life that’s set to destroy him. Bram’s looking for a companion to share his days with. In Bram, Gael sees a way out.
There’s a lot to like about this novel. Jensen’s worldbuilding is thorough, and Alk
Christi Snow
Aug 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My Review:
So creative...every time I finish reading a Kelly Jensen book, that's the phrase that continually runs through my head. She's an amazing story teller and this book is just another amazing example of that.

In this book, the world is very different from the one we currently live in. Gael and Aavi grew up in the underworld of an overcrowded planet. That place is overrun with poverty and crime...and no sun or hope. They've both grown up in squalor and the very real fact that their lives ar
Milly Molly
Aug 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc
Really enjoyed this especially the MCs
This was a lovely slow burn romance. I loved reading about the burgeoning emotional connection between Bram and Gael. It might be fanciful to describe it like this but to me it felt like Gael was a flower slowly unfurling and Bram was his sun providing light and warmth and encouraging him to flourish.
I enjoyed the science fiction aspects of the book, the world building was excellent and gave a real sense of the harshness of Alkirak but also of the good thing
Gillian
Sep 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
4 stars

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
If aliens ever do land on Earth, Kelly will not be prepared, despite having read over a hundred stories of the apocalypse. Still, she will pack her precious books into a box and carry them with her as she strives to survive. It’s what bibliophiles do.

Kelly is the author of a number of novels, novellas and short stories, including the Chaos Station series, co-written with Jenn Burke. Some of what s