Start by marking “To See the Sun” as Want to Read:
To See the Sun

To See the Sun

Survival is hard enough in the outer colonies—what chance does love have?

Life can be harsh and lonely in the outer colonies, but miner-turned-farmer Abraham Bauer is living his dream, cultivating crops that will one day turn the unforgiving world of Alkirak into paradise. He wants more, though. A companion—someone quiet like him. Someone to share his days, his bed, and his
Published August 13th 2018 by Riptide Publishing (first published August 11th 2018)

To ask other readers questions about To See the Sun, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about To See the Sun

Start your review of To See the Sun
~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
To See the Sun is not a warm story. Although the sun burns hot enough to kill, the planet where Bram has his farm is rocky and stormy. Humans live in crevasses below the surface, and dwellings are created from caves.

This sounds primitive, but that's what happens when humans destroy their own planet and have to seek other hospitable places in our vast universe.

This book is set in the distant future, where technology controls all, and humans live like rats underground. Gael escapes prison, possi
* A Reader Obsessed *
4 Sci-Fi Stars!

Truly the blurb says it all.

Bram’s paid his dues working for a company that mines other planets, and he’s painstakingly carved out a satisfying, albeit lonely, existence on a harsh planet that is quite unforgiving. Regardless, he’s basically retired, pretty settled in his routine, and ready to really think about his future to make things more complete. It’s no mere whim when his year long search for a possible companion has finally produced someone who has caught his interest.

That
Alisa

I really loved this author's Chaos Station series (which if you haven't read you should) so I was excited to try this new stand alone book of hers. The story starts off with a bit of action as Gael finds himself in a seriously bad situation and has to make a major change to gain control of his life. He's desperate when he answers Bram's ad and doesn't expect more than a bit of safety and a fresh start. What he finds is a kind man and a chance at a life he never dreamed he could have.

One
Cadiva
Jul 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book started with a slow and slightly confusing opening chapter but got better and better once Gael got off the original planet and hitched his destiny with Bram.

It wouldn't have felt out of place for this narrative to have been a plot in an episode of Star Trek or perhaps Stargate - there was a very cinematic feel to the book and I had very clear visuals of both characters and setting.

There's lots of slow and steady relationship growth too, nothing felt hurried or out of place, Gael and Br
axel.
Feb 15, 2021 rated it really liked it
Positive points:

1 - Beautiful history and a good family building.

2 - Charismatic and interesting characters.

3 - Reasonable development.

4 - I loved the setting, although I think it is a little superficial.

Negative points:

1 - A somewhat predictable story.

2 - Common situations that I practically read in several books (a little creativity was lacking).

3 - Shallow moments, but that's fine with me, I think.

But overall, it's a beautiful love story and I recommend it to you who are trying to get out of
Chris, the Dalek King
A mail-order-bride style space western?…yes, please!

An elegant mix of the western and sci-fi genres, To See the Sun tells a story that at its heart readers will be familiar with, but told in such beautiful and enticing ways that they will hardly care. I grew up on these kinds of stories, and I’m not ashamed to admit that I have always had a weak spot for the kinds of romances where two people find themselves tied to each other, and yet have to struggle with being stuck with a virtual stranger, i
CrabbyPatty
I'm not the hugest fan of science fiction, but I really enjoyed this story set on Alkirak, an inhospitable half-terraformed planet with deep crevasses and poison mists. Bram is a "former miner turned farmer who [writes] poetry in his spare time" and longs for "the possibility of a family. Children. He wanted to share his life with another man. Someone quiet like him. Someone who wanted the same things."

Gael lives a hard-scrabble existence on Zhemosen, a garden planet for the wealthy, but where
Meags
3.5 Stars

Jensen’s writing continues to impress. She really does have a good depth to her, both in terms of plot and character development, and also in the believability of the naturally progressing romance she sets up masterfully between her MCs, Bram and Gael, who come together here under the guise of a classic mail order groom set-up.

Most notably, this was a damn impressive and innovative science-fiction story, with world-building that was simple yet comprehensive. From page one, I was fully
Elena

In the words of a wise friend, what a way to derail a promising setup.

The premise was all about a prearranged, mail-order relationship between two men on opposite sides of the galaxy, one a lonely farmer/colonist in an unforgiving and dangerous world (I loved the descriptions of Alkirak and Bram’s everyday life) looking for a companion, the other a desperate sort-of-fugitive running from a complicated situation.
I was looking forward to what was shaping up to be a forced proximity trop
Lyn❤Loves❤Listening #AUDIOBOOKADDICT
Audio – 3 stars
Story – 3.25 stars

This was a really good SciFi story. The world building was impressive. There were a couple of emotional and suspenseful scenes, so the writing was good too. What fell short for me was the romance. Both MCs were likeable and tugged at my heartstrings, but I wasn’t feeling them as a couple. The relationship develop was a bit humdrum. It didn’t help that the physical description of the MCs read more like an outline than a full picture.

Overall, it was an above avera
Jo * Smut-Dickted *
Atmospheric and tense, To See the Sun is a slow build romance that balances sweet and loving with the reality of a hard life on an unforgiving planet.

Bram is a former foreman for a mining company turned farmer. He has built a life on Alkirak but he's lonely. Although on the outside he's all pragmatism and sensibleness, inside he seeks to find someone to love, cherish, and care for. He places an ad for a sort of "mail order husband" and finds Gael -who brings a lot of surprises into Bram's quiet
Kazza
My first Kelly Jensen story and it's a very nice way to start. If you like contemporary romance but you're worried about the sci-fi label, maybe don't be. Yes, it is set in another galaxy, there's excellent world building too, and there are words like sun and dust as expressions, but mostly it's a slow burn, character driven love story about two lonely guys, one complete with a sad past, who have shy but beautiful words and a lot of love to give to one another - over time. It's totally charming, ...more
Leaf of Absence
Aug 13, 2018 rated it it was ok
A weirdly puritan story, coulda been called Little House in the Crevasse.
Complete with prayer before dinner, long periods of chastity and a marriage to avoid living in sin with ones... mail order groom?

Who knows.
Not my thing.
Kathleen
Sep 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi

A truly wonderful sci-fi romance. Edge of your seat, imminent death one minute, slow burn love story the next. Set on an austere, inhospitable planet owned by a mining corporation, against impossible odds, Gael and Bram start a life together farming amidst acid mists, gale force winds, a toxic sun, and a violent past quickly catching up with them. Well done, Ms. Jensen.
JenMcJ
Aug 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Good world building, good sci/fi elements, good slow burn romance, good pacing, good conflicts. Uninteresting MC's. Both Gael and Bram suffered from being steady and boring. Even Aavi was too perfect which made her....boring. The most interesting character was the side character Price and we leave him behind on the original planet fairly quickly.

All around a good book but not super memorable despite the very interesting world the author built.
annob
3.5 stars!
A sci-fi romance with echoes of mail order brides of the past. The world building was strong with details like futuristic profanities thrown in to get the right mood going. Descriptions of alien planets, futuristic cities, space suits, mining details etc was all nicely done to boost the sci-fi element.

Normally I'm a sucker for slow burn romances like this one, but this was close to being too slow for me. It balanced right on the edge of becoming boring. I would have wished for more che
Caz
Apr 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Caz by: Maria Rose
4.5 stars / B+

Read for the April prompt in the 2019 TBR Challenge.

The last few times the “Something Different” prompt has come up in the TBR Challenge, I’ve found myself picking up a Science Fiction romance.  I don’t know why I don’t read many of them – I like the genre in TV and film – and I’ve enjoyed the few I’ve read, so this prompt is always a good opportunity to read another one!  I chose Kelly Jensen’s To See the Sun for a couple of reasons; firstly, I really enjoyed her recent This Time
Rosabel
Feb 15, 2021 rated it really liked it
To See the Sun it's a sci-fi that doesn't feel like a sci-fi, because humans are involved and yes is another planet but again, it's with humans. 🤭❤

I read the blurb and I felt this could be a Ruby Dixon type of book, it wasn't. Gael was in a big mess in a planet that it's corrupt so he offered his services as a mail order groom, Bram its very lonely and wants a solid relationship so he answers Gael's ad and ships him to his home planet. They meet, things happen and of course, a happily ever after
Caz
I've given this a B+ for narration and content at AudioGals, so that's 4.5 stars

I’ve become a big fan of Kelly Jensen’s over the past few months and was delighted to be able to snap up a copy of To See the Sun for review. By one of those odd flukes, I read the book a few weeks ago, before I had any idea it was coming out in audio, but that didn’t stop me from wanting to enjoy it again.

The story takes place at some unspecified time in the future when the human race and civilisation has finally mo
Georgie-who-is-Sarah-Drew
There is definitely enough here to pass a pleasant couple of hours. The MCs are attractive: Bram's loneliness, and Gael's damaged background ensure immediate sympathy for both. Jensen has form (Chaos Station) when it comes to creating new galatic worlds, so the conceit of a inter-stellar Mail Order Bride worked well. I liked, too, the slow-growing attraction between the MCs.

Where I thought the book was less successful was (view spoiler)
Laxmama
Jul 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley, dual-pov
I received this ARC review for an honest review for Netgalley. 3 1/2 Stars, this was an enjoyable book there was much about the story that I enjoyed; the slow burn, the unique story I liked what the author was trying to do with the world building. For me I found it confusing, I could. It quite grasp the concept the author was trying to portray. Although I liked the MC’s I felt something was missing.
Ay
Sep 30, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Aki | nose buried in books | ❤️ |
I enjoyed this science fiction. At first it was a bit confusing, then I began to appreciate the plot and the world building - that is really well done and stunning - and I had clear images how the settings would be. I imagined every colour, atmospheric agents, rocks and worlds.
The characters are nicely portrayed, even the secondary ones.
The story between the mcs is a sweet, very sweet, slow burn romance and we have a lovely HEA.
Recommended if you love sci-fi romance!
M.I.A
Oh burning sun, this was such a wonderful love story.
Truly wonderful.
Complete.
It took it's time, there was no rush to it which I really enjoyed.
The pacing is perfect.

This is definitely a low-steam romance, it's a love story and completely satisfying and believable.

The two main characters, I absolutely adored them.

Bram is quiet and shy.
A tentative man who takes his time with his thoughts and actions.
He's lived alone for a very long time. He used to be a miner and is now a farmer and a poe
LOLA
Jun 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
A well done sci-fi. Bram is a farmer/miner on a planet that is only workable in the deep crevices. The sun on the surface is to hot for any growth. So after doing this work and living alone for a while, Bram decides to get a companion. Along come Gael. Who is running from trouble. This story is a slow burn romance.
Bram and Gael and up with some minor troubles and work towards living with and loving each other. This story is kind of sappy!
The story and plot are well done and characters are prett
Karen
I absolutely loved this book and while I have to admit there are a lot of books that I can say this about for many reasons. I mean let's face it, I'm probably not the hardest sell around when it comes to books. So chances are...if you give me characters that I can truly love or even hate with a passion, good dialogue, settings that are richly described, a story that holds my interest...well, chances are your books are going to be in the 'I loved it' category and if it's an audio book add in a we ...more
Steven
Aug 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I hope to have a proper review for this one. An intergalactic mail order romance with vivid yet familiar world building and incredibly likable characters. Richly drawn with just the right amount of angst.

Ultimately hopeful and uplifting and worthy of 4.5 stars rounded up.
Jenn
Aug 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love reading Kelly's sci-fi. It's always so full of people, which is what makes it special. There's no denying this story is absolutely science fiction, with the harsh and hazardous landscape of Alkirak or the always-dark undercity of Zhemosen. There's a real feel of danger and uncertainty to the environments, as one might expect of a barely tamed planet and a corrupted city. But what makes this book special--what makes all of Kelly's science fiction special--are the people she populates her g ...more
Daphne
Aug 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m-read, 2018-books
4.5 Stars.

Slow, steady, verbose but necessary to paint the picture of the brutal yet beautiful worlds of these planets. Gael, Bram and Aavi were so real and poignant. I loved this book and yet I’m exhausted and glad it’s done.

Absolutely recommend.
Jerry
This is kind of a space western with mineral claims, farmsteads, mail order brides and rough territory justice. 4.5 stars for both book and narration.

Gael Sonnen was born on Zhemosen into a life bereft of any redeeming value and one full of trouble. At the end of a series of awful events, he flubs a felony job his employer tasked him with. This also involved a young child, Avi, who is street smart and she follows him after he tries to get away. Gael's only friend sets him up with a holo video on
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Lights and Sirens (Emergency Services #2)
  • The Gentle Art of Fortune Hunting
  • Salt Magic, Skin Magic
  • Anhaga
  • Cry Wolf (Big Bad Wolf, #5)
  • Vanilla Clouds
  • The Wolf at Bay (Big Bad Wolf, #2)
  • Not Dead Yet (Not Dead Yet #1)
  • Lucky (Lucky #1)
  • Honeymoon for One
  • Band Sinister
  • Strays
  • Christmas Angel (The Christmas Angel, #1)
  • One-Eyed Royals (Seven of Spades, #4)
  • Thrown to the Wolves (Big Bad Wolf, #3)
  • The Wolf at the Door (Big Bad Wolf, #1)
  • Mr. Winterbourne's Christmas (Winterbourne, #2)
  • Red Heir (Adventures in Aguillon #1)
If aliens ever do land on Earth, Kelly will not be prepared, despite having read over a hundred stories of the apocalypse. Still, she will pack her precious books into a box and carry them with her as she strives to survive. It’s what bibliophiles do.

Kelly is the author of twelve novels–including the Chaos Station series, co-written with Jenn Burke–and several novellas and short stories. Some of w