Start by marking “To See the Sun” as Want to Read:
To See the Sun

To See the Sun

Survival is hard enough in the outer colonieswhat chance does love have?

Life can be harsh and lonely in the outer colonies, but miner-turned-farmer Abraham Bauer is living his dream, cultivating crops that will one day turn the unforgiving world of Alkirak into paradise. He wants more, though. A companionsomeone quiet like him. Someone to share his days, his bed, and his
Published August 13th 2018 by Riptide Publishing (first published August 11th 2018)

To ask other readers questions about To See the Sun, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about To See the Sun

Start your review of To See the Sun
~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
To See the Sun is not a warm story. Although the sun burns hot enough to kill, the planet where Bram has his farm is rocky and stormy. Humans live in crevasses below the surface, and dwellings are created from caves.

This sounds primitive, but that's what happens when humans destroy their own planet and have to seek other hospitable places in our vast universe.

This book is set in the distant future, where technology controls all, and humans live like rats underground. Gael escapes prison,
* A Reader Obsessed *
4 Sci-Fi Stars!

Truly the blurb says it all.

Brams paid his dues working for a company that mines other planets, and hes painstakingly carved out a satisfying, albeit lonely, existence on a harsh planet that is quite unforgiving. Regardless, hes basically retired, pretty settled in his routine, and ready to really think about his future to make things more complete. Its no mere whim when his year long search for a possible companion has finally produced someone who has caught his interest.

That
Alisa

I really loved this author's Chaos Station series (which if you haven't read you should) so I was excited to try this new stand alone book of hers. The story starts off with a bit of action as Gael finds himself in a seriously bad situation and has to make a major change to gain control of his life. He's desperate when he answers Bram's ad and doesn't expect more than a bit of safety and a fresh start. What he finds is a kind man and a chance at a life he never dreamed he could have.

One
Cadiva
Jul 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book started with a slow and slightly confusing opening chapter but got better and better once Gael got off the original planet and hitched his destiny with Bram.

It wouldn't have felt out of place for this narrative to have been a plot in an episode of Star Trek or perhaps Stargate - there was a very cinematic feel to the book and I had very clear visuals of both characters and setting.

There's lots of slow and steady relationship growth too, nothing felt hurried or out of place, Gael and
Chris, the Dalek King
A mail-order-bride style space western?yes, please!

An elegant mix of the western and sci-fi genres, To See the Sun tells a story that at its heart readers will be familiar with, but told in such beautiful and enticing ways that they will hardly care. I grew up on these kinds of stories, and Im not ashamed to admit that I have always had a weak spot for the kinds of romances where two people find themselves tied to each other, and yet have to struggle with being stuck with a virtual stranger, in
CrabbyPatty
I'm not the hugest fan of science fiction, but I really enjoyed this story set on Alkirak, an inhospitable half-terraformed planet with deep crevasses and poison mists. Bram is a "former miner turned farmer who [writes] poetry in his spare time" and longs for "the possibility of a family. Children. He wanted to share his life with another man. Someone quiet like him. Someone who wanted the same things."

Gael lives a hard-scrabble existence on Zhemosen, a garden planet for the wealthy, but where
Meags
3.5 Stars

Jensens writing continues to impress. She really does have a good depth to her, both in terms of plot and character development, and also in the believability of the naturally progressing romance she sets up masterfully between her MCs, Bram and Gael, who come together here under the guise of a classic mail order groom set-up.

Most notably, this was a damn impressive and innovative science-fiction story, with world-building that was simple yet comprehensive. From page one, I was fully
Lyn❤Loves❤Listening #AUDIOBOOKADDICT
Audio 3 stars
Story 3.25 stars

This was a really good SciFi story. The world building was impressive. There were a couple of emotional and suspenseful scenes, so the writing was good too. What fell short for me was the romance. Both MCs were likeable and tugged at my heartstrings, but I wasnt feeling them as a couple. The relationship develop was a bit humdrum. It didnt help that the physical description of the MCs read more like an outline than a full picture.

Overall, it was an above average
Jo * Smut-Dickted *
Atmospheric and tense, To See the Sun is a slow build romance that balances sweet and loving with the reality of a hard life on an unforgiving planet.

Bram is a former foreman for a mining company turned farmer. He has built a life on Alkirak but he's lonely. Although on the outside he's all pragmatism and sensibleness, inside he seeks to find someone to love, cherish, and care for. He places an ad for a sort of "mail order husband" and finds Gael -who brings a lot of surprises into Bram's quiet
Kazza
My first Kelly Jensen story and it's a very nice way to start. If you like contemporary romance but you're worried about the sci-fi label, maybe don't be. Yes, it is set in another galaxy, there's excellent world building too, and there are words like sun and dust as expressions, but mostly it's a slow burn, character driven love story about two lonely guys, one complete with a sad past, who have shy but beautiful words and a lot of love to give to one another - over time. It's totally charming, ...more
Kathleen
Sep 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi

A truly wonderful sci-fi romance. Edge of your seat, imminent death one minute, slow burn love story the next. Set on an austere, inhospitable planet owned by a mining corporation, against impossible odds, Gael and Bram start a life together farming amidst acid mists, gale force winds, a toxic sun, and a violent past quickly catching up with them. Well done, Ms. Jensen.
JenMcJ
Aug 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Good world building, good sci/fi elements, good slow burn romance, good pacing, good conflicts. Uninteresting MC's. Both Gael and Bram suffered from being steady and boring. Even Aavi was too perfect which made her....boring. The most interesting character was the side character Price and we leave him behind on the original planet fairly quickly.

All around a good book but not super memorable despite the very interesting world the author built.
Kelly
Apr 20, 2018 marked it as books-i-wrote  ·  (Review from the author)
Read the first three chapters! https://kellyjensenwrites.com/books/t...

This is perhaps the most romantic story Ive ever written, which is probably why I had to set in on a planet with little to no atmosphere between the surface and the burning sun, and deep crevasses full of poisonous mists. I put the people in the crevasses too, in a limited green zone. Its paradisenot. But for Abraham Bauer, its a chance to live his dream. Hes one of a handful of colonists dedicated to the effort of
annob
3.5 stars!
A sci-fi romance with echoes of mail order brides of the past. The world building was strong with details like futuristic profanities thrown in to get the right mood going. Descriptions of alien planets, futuristic cities, space suits, mining details etc was all nicely done to boost the sci-fi element.

Normally I'm a sucker for slow burn romances like this one, but this was close to being too slow for me. It balanced right on the edge of becoming boring. I would have wished for more
Caz
Apr 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Caz by: Maria Rose
4.5 stars / B+

Read for the April prompt in the 2019 TBR Challenge.

The last few times the Something Different prompt has come up in the TBR Challenge, Ive found myself picking up a Science Fiction romance.  I dont know why I dont read many of them I like the genre in TV and film and Ive enjoyed the few Ive read, so this prompt is always a good opportunity to read another one!  I chose Kelly Jensens To See the Sun for a couple of reasons; firstly, I really enjoyed her recent This Time Forever
Caz
I've given this a B+ for narration and content at AudioGals, so that's 4.5 stars

Ive become a big fan of Kelly Jensens over the past few months and was delighted to be able to snap up a copy of To See the Sun for review. By one of those odd flukes, I read the book a few weeks ago, before I had any idea it was coming out in audio, but that didnt stop me from wanting to enjoy it again.

The story takes place at some unspecified time in the future when the human race and civilisation has finally moved
Leaf of Absence
Aug 13, 2018 rated it it was ok
A weirdly puritan story, coulda been called Little House in the Crevasse.
Complete with prayer before dinner, long periods of chastity and a marriage to avoid living in sin with ones... mail order groom?

Who knows.
Not my thing.
Georgie-who-is-Sarah-Drew
There is definitely enough here to pass a pleasant couple of hours. The MCs are attractive: Bram's loneliness, and Gael's damaged background ensure immediate sympathy for both. Jensen has form (Chaos Station) when it comes to creating new galatic worlds, so the conceit of a inter-stellar Mail Order Bride worked well. I liked, too, the slow-growing attraction between the MCs.

Where I thought the book was less successful was (view spoiler)
Laxmama
Jul 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley, dual-pov
I received this ARC review for an honest review for Netgalley. 3 1/2 Stars, this was an enjoyable book there was much about the story that I enjoyed; the slow burn, the unique story I liked what the author was trying to do with the world building. For me I found it confusing, I could. It quite grasp the concept the author was trying to portray. Although I liked the MCs I felt something was missing. ...more
Amazonaute
Aki | nose buried in books | ❤️ |
I enjoyed this science fiction. At first it was a bit confusing, then I began to appreciate the plot and the world building - that is really well done and stunning - and I had clear images how the settings would be. I imagined every colour, atmospheric agents, rocks and worlds.
The characters are nicely portrayed, even the secondary ones.
The story between the mcs is a sweet, very sweet, slow burn romance and we have a lovely HEA.
Recommended if you love sci-fi romance!
LOLA
Jun 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
A well done sci-fi. Bram is a farmer/miner on a planet that is only workable in the deep crevices. The sun on the surface is to hot for any growth. So after doing this work and living alone for a while, Bram decides to get a companion. Along come Gael. Who is running from trouble. This story is a slow burn romance.
Bram and Gael and up with some minor troubles and work towards living with and loving each other. This story is kind of sappy!
The story and plot are well done and characters are
Steven
Aug 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I hope to have a proper review for this one. An intergalactic mail order romance with vivid yet familiar world building and incredibly likable characters. Richly drawn with just the right amount of angst.

Ultimately hopeful and uplifting and worthy of 4.5 stars rounded up.
Jenn
Aug 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love reading Kelly's sci-fi. It's always so full of people, which is what makes it special. There's no denying this story is absolutely science fiction, with the harsh and hazardous landscape of Alkirak or the always-dark undercity of Zhemosen. There's a real feel of danger and uncertainty to the environments, as one might expect of a barely tamed planet and a corrupted city. But what makes this book special--what makes all of Kelly's science fiction special--are the people she populates her ...more
Daphne
Aug 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m-read, 2018-books
4.5 Stars.

Slow, steady, verbose but necessary to paint the picture of the brutal yet beautiful worlds of these planets. Gael, Bram and Aavi were so real and poignant. I loved this book and yet Im exhausted and glad its done.

Absolutely recommend.
Jerry
This is kind of a space western with mineral claims, farmsteads, mail order brides and rough territory justice. 4.5 stars for both book and narration.

Gael Sonnen was born on Zhemosen into a life bereft of any redeeming value and one full of trouble. At the end of a series of awful events, he flubs a felony job his employer tasked him with. This also involved a young child, Avi, who is street smart and she follows him after he tries to get away. Gael's only friend sets him up with a holo video on
iam
Jul 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Such a calm and atmospheric read!

To See The Sun was really beautiful in an understated, down-to-earth way.
I want to say there is low angst and low drama, but things do happen that will tug on your heartstrings and make you fear for the characters.

Especially Gael's fate is painful to read. Living in the streets of a dark and lawless undercity, he hasn't had an easy life, but when he fails at a job for the family he's indebted to things take a turn for the worse. He needs to leave, and fast.
Sadie Forsythe
Jul 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I thought this was really lovely. There wasn't a lot of action, most of the tension being either in someone's fear something might happen or in the two men tiptoeing around getting to know one another, but it was nice. Jensen's writing is beautiful and there was a happy ending for all, except the baddies (who predominantly remained faceless).

I did side-eye the gendered representation of the men though. I don't mean to suggest all men have to be giant paragons of masculinity, but in the face of
⚣Michaelle⚣
Jun 27, 2018 marked it as to-read
Shelves: arc, lgbt, to-listen-tbr
ARC provided by NetGalley and Riptide Publishing in exchange for an honest review.
Dumbledore11214
Aug 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Lights and Sirens (Emergency Services #2)
  • Salt Magic, Skin Magic
  • Blyd and Pearce
  • Machine Metal Magic (Mind + Machine, #1)
  • Strays
  • The Wolf at Bay (Big Bad Wolf, #2)
  • Not Dead Yet (Not Dead Yet #1)
  • Anhaga
  • Rough Trade (Woodbury Boys #3)
  • Mr. Winterbourne's Christmas (Winterbourne, #2)
  • Honeymoon for One
  • Vanilla Clouds
  • Thrown to the Wolves (Big Bad Wolf, #3)
  • Band Sinister
  • Any Given Lifetime
  • The Wolf at the Door (Big Bad Wolf, #1)
  • Perfect Day (New Milton #1)
  • Lucky (Lucky #1)
If aliens ever do land on Earth, Kelly will not be prepared, despite having read over a hundred stories of the apocalypse. Still, she will pack her precious books into a box and carry them with her as she strives to survive. Its what bibliophiles do.

Kelly is the author of ten novelsincluding the Chaos Station series, co-written with Jenn Burkeand several novellas and short stories. Some of what