Start by marking “Otaku Otaku, Tome 1 (Otaku Otaku, #1)” as Want to Read:
Otaku Otaku, Tome 1 (Otaku Otaku, #1)

Otaku Otaku, Tome 1

(Wotakoi: Love is Hard for Otaku #1-2)

Narumi et Hirotaka travaillent dans la même société. Ce sont tous deux des otaku. Ils ont chacun une passion dévorante pas toujours évidente à faire entendre aux autres. Peut-elle même être compatible avec une relation amoureuse ? Comprendre l'autre, l'accepter tel qu'il est, se montrer tel qu'on est vraiment... Misant sur ce point commun, « des otaku », ils décident alors ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 128 pages
Published April 20th 2018 by Kana

To ask other readers questions about Otaku Otaku, Tome 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Otaku Otaku, Tome 1

Start your review of Otaku Otaku, Tome 1 (Otaku Otaku, #1)
Ms. Smartarse
Even though slice-of-life and meta shows are among my absolute favorite genre, personal experience has taught me that I'm nowhere near knowledgeable enough to be a real-life otaku. Not only did I refuse to spend the truckload of money necessary to obtain even the smallest of merchandise (shipping from abroad is expensive!!), but a lot of the more popular shows eluded my interests.

Attack on merchandise
Next on Attack on Anime Merch: surrender, or Yubaba gets it!

Additionally, I'm not much of a manga fan. Sure I'll
Sam Quixote
Office workers by day, secret nerds by, well, all the time! Otaku are young Japanese people obsessed with games/manga/anime/cosplay, which is apparently stigmatized in Japanese society so our main characters have to hide their hobbies from co-workers/non-Otaku. Narumi starts work at a new company where her childhood friend Hirotaka also works and the two hook up. Joining them are another couple, Hanako and Kabakura, who also work in the same office, and the four of them happily nerd out in their ...more
Maria☽
Jan 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"We're together because I love you... and I like seeing you doing things that make you happy."

I loved it!! Everything about this Manga was so cute and funny! I mean I'm an Otaku (not that much) and a bookworm, so it's not a lie if I want to say that love is also hard for bookworms (for me ofc, I'm not sure about the others) Bc I can't find my ideal type in real world and I prefer fictional characters (I know it's insane but what can I do? ) if I want to be honest it's a little bit hard for us to
Jen/The Tolkien Gal/ジェニファー
My brain says three stars, but my heart says four. I think you need to trust your heart when it comes to humour and geeky references.

We have two otaku couples:

Narumi Momose(The all-round geek who loves her anime and manga and cries at character deaths) and Hirotaka Nifuji (A hardcore gamer with a cool demeanour)

Image result for wotakoi gifs

And Tarō Kabakura (The less-intense, grumpy otaku) and Hanako Koyanagi (Who loves cosplaying as male characters and reading yaoi)

Image result for wotakoi gifs

The premise
Wotakoi centres around these two otaku couples
[Shai] Bibliophage
I request a reading copy of this manga because of the rating and that there is a lot of feedback about it. However, I was a little bit disappointed while reading it because it was not what I've expected it to be. It is not that great and that I find nothing spectacular especially with the characters and on the flow of the story.
Lauren
Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5 stars!

Wotakoi is a pleasantly refreshing manga – it’s not written as a continuous piece but instead is made of ‘scenes’ (little snippets of their lives) which are often hilarious, cute or both! This manga focuses on two couples who are all “otaku” – people who are really into their pop culture/gaming so much so that it sometimes affects their ability to communicate in social situations.

The first couple comprises of Hirotaka Nifuji who is a bit Clark Kent-esque (appearance wise) and Narumi
Mir
Jun 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic, realism
A cute young woman who has had trouble keeping boyfriends because of her geeky gamer hobbies finds herself coworkers with a middle school friend who shared her interests. It seems sensible that they should try dating.

Overall, this was really well done. The art is good, the writing is mostly interesting (although not being a gamer I was frequently confused), and the characters were distinct. The weakest part for me was the romance. I didn't get much sense of the two actually having romantic
Sarah Marie
Wotakoi: Love is Hard for Otaku 1 by Fujita

DNF @ page 53

I don't know. I just could not get into this one. I tried. I wanted something cute, light and fluffy and with cheesy office romance, but I was unimpressed with the pointless plot. The panels were packed with too many words and it overshadowed the art. It was unappealing to my eyes and the story wasn't enough to hold my attention. I'm probably just being incredibly negative and everyone will love this, but I'm not loving it and I won't be

{Laurel}
Apr 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-reads, fluff
ARC provided by NetGalley for an honest review...

I really loved this volume! Our main characters are childhood friends who both struggle to find love because they're both otaku's. Narumi loves manga and BL, while Hirotaka loves playing video games. They soon begin dating and volume 1 consists of their hilarious antics with their two friends, who are also otaku's and in a relationship.

I really loved Hirotaka in this! He is stoic and doesn't mind being alone, but is also very sweet and in love
Jen
Apr 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
This book was quite cute, though definitely for older teens and adults. I appreciated the glimpse into the life of those who live on the other side of the planet from me. I admit to being just a tad bit enamored with Japanese culture, so to read a manga that showed a bit of what normal people in Japan do was very interesting.

The artwork was not fantastical (except for Hana-chan), but true to life and I have to say, the H MC was rather scrumptious and the h MC was quite cute, which is to be
Yesy (The Book Vagrant)
Nov 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga, 2019-in-books
great start…I'm in!
Scrill
When childhood friends Narumi and Hirotaka run into each other as adults, it soon becomes evident that since they're both adult otaku that they would make a good couple.

The Story
So the story was quite promising for me. I thought it would be really cute to see two awkward characters navigate their relationship. Unfortunately, there wasn't much about their actual romantic relationship that made me keep reading to see how they cope. Now it has been a few years since I was an avid manga reader/anime
Artemy
Nov 28, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga
I'm not sure how I feel about Wotakoi, honestly. It's not as laugh-out-loud funny as some of my favourite slice of life mangas, and it's not really a page turner — I spent about five days plowing through this tiny 130 page tome. I enjoyed what I read, don't get me wrong, but I was never compelled to read more in one sitting, just a few pages at a time was enough. I think part of it is that I'm pretty far removed from the Japanese otaku culture myself — I don't read nearly as much manga and don't ...more
Maria (Big City Bookworm)

This one was just okay for me. It felt like nothing really happened? It was also hard to follow for something with such a simple concept...

I don't think I'll be continuing with this series unfortunately.

Derryn
I’ve read the first volume in this 2volume addiction.... and I liked the premise but felt a lot was lost in translation, unfortunately just not for me

Just finished the second volume although I did enjoy parts of this it’s just not something I’ve gelled with and probably won’t continue.

Sionna
*I received a copy of this book through Netgalley in exchange for an honest review*

So, this review will be for the 1st and 2nd volume since that is what I received from Netgalley and may I say that was surprising. I thought I only had one volume, but having two just made me so happy.

I absolutely loved this manga. It is so cute. This story is about Otaku in love, so it is dorky and fun with some awkward moments included.
It is more of a slice of life manga, so there isn't exactly a plot. This is
Sydney (sydneysshelves) West
This was so freaking cute. I need the next volume now!
Laura A. Grace
2.5/3 stars

I had some mixed feelings concerning this story and a little unsure what to say. Originally, I picked it up because it sounded like a lot of fun and really loved the cover.

The story in many ways *was* fun. However, I was personally caught off guard by the amount of perverted comments or conversations. It really put a damper on things.

Though even with that said, I do commend the author because I still kept reading. This story *really* is a rom com with an awkward romance and that was a
Sara
Apr 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Title: Wotakoi: Love is Hard for Otaku
Published: 17th April 2018, by Kodansha Comics.
Pages: 256
Volume: 1 and 2
Format: eBook/ARC from NetGalley
Genre: Young Adult, New Adult, Romance, Contemporary, Sequential Art, Manga, Graphic Novels.
Contains: Sexual Content, Crude Humour, BL, Crossdressing, Cosplay, Fujoshi, Gamer.
My Rate: 4.5/5 stars

I received a copy of this book from Kodansha Comics through Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
Might contain slight spoilers so read at your own risk.

Full
✨Danielle✨ ⟪quotecreature⟫
3 stars

ARC provided by the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

In this adorable romantic story we follow two geeks falling in love, their best friends arguing every second & backstories which are exposing many significant moments...

Soooo.... I’ve never read manga before. At the beginning I had a problem figuring out how to even read this thing. (I was pretty confused)... but okay, I figured, so let’s move on to.... CHARACTERS

Narumi - this girl was pretty annoying at
delaney
Apr 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, manga
A hilarious, slice-of-life manga with adult characters that are otaku and hella adorable? Um, yes please. I honestly think if you really want to enjoy this, you have to be at least semi-otaku as well.

There are multiple references to anime I have heard of like Neon Genesis Evangelion but I haven't watched BUT YOU DON'T NEED TO. You are still able to understand the humor! Most importantly, I found the humor so relatable!!!

I cry watching Sailor Moon too, how could you not?

Aww, he's proud to be
Hannah
Aug 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
BOOKTUBEATHON reading challenges accomplished: coin toss to decide first read and read/watch book tv adaptation

5 stars

I've already watched the anime, but I'll probably re-watch it anyways.

Since I've already watched the anime, it's pretty much the same as the manga. Very close.
Rose  Heartfilia
I started watching the series because it aired during the spring season. Now that it's coming towards an end, I couldn't imagine that I would not continue to read it. The manga at this point is not further (translated) from the anime, but I don't care. I enjoyed rereading the chapters and the things I have seen and surely would keep an eye out for new updates and so on. At this point I read through the 28 chapters very quickly and will try to wait patiently for the rest.

The characters are funny
Carrie (The Butterfly Reader)
ARC provided by NetGalley for an honest review

Funny, cute as can be and highly entertaining!

Now I will be honest and say that a few times I felt very lost with some things they referenced but I still was able to understand what was going on with the story so don't worry there. I loved how when they would make certain choices bars like a video game would appear. It's something I've not seen done in manga before. The characters are what this manga of course. Overall, a wonderful manga, pick it
Alexa
Dec 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2018
Full disclosure: I watched the anime before reading the manga. But even though I’d already “seen” all of the events that happen in this first volume, I still found it utterly enjoyable to read. It was fun revisiting these characters, seeing their relationships and also just reading about adult otakus.
Chi
Nov 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hilariously awkward, there are lots of insider jokes (which luckily, the translation did a good job of properly explaining). I'm currently going through the anime, which seemed to have done a good job of transposing the manga into another medium.
Laura D
May 17, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga
I wanted to really like this but I just found it ok. That could have something to do with watching the anime adaptation of it as well. Regardless I just didn't find it that funny and the plot was pretty aimless.
Dee Dee (Dee Reads for Food)
DNF at page 112.

I really wanted to like this much more than I did. Someone out there will like this one...
Silvia
Are you obsessed with aspects of popular culture (video games, anime, manga, etc.) to the point you are socially awkward? Congrats, you are an otaku. How does this affect your love life?

"Wotakoi" main point is to show how love is hard for otaku, especially considering they feel misunderstood or, better yet, not understood by the rest of society at all. Chances to find your soulmate would increase exponentially if you'd date another otaku, don't you think? And if the right one is very close to
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Love in Focus Vol. 1 (Love in Focus, #1)
  • 極主夫道 1 (Gokushufudou: The Way of the Househusband, #1)
  • Love in Focus Vol. 2 (Love in Focus, #2)
  • Tokyo Tarareba Girls, Vol. 1 (Tokyo Tarareba Girls, #1)
  • 高嶺と花 2 (Takane to Hana #2)
  • 高嶺と花 1 (Takane to Hana #1)
  • 古見さんは、コミュ症です。volume 1 (Komi-san wa Komyushou Desu., #1)
  • かくりよの宿飯 あやかしお宿に嫁入りします。 1 [Kakuriyo no Yadomeshi: Ayakashi Oyado ni Yomeiri shimasu. 1] (Kakuriyo: Bed & Breakfast for Spirits #1)
  • Tokyo Tarareba Girls, Vol. 2
  • かぐや様は告らせたい ~天才たちの恋愛頭脳戦~ 2
  • かぐや様は告らせたい ~天才たちの恋愛頭脳戦~ 1
  • Love in Focus Vol. 3 (Love in Focus, #3)
  • 高嶺と花 3 (Takane to Hana #3)
  • SPY×FAMILY 2 (Spy×Family, #2)
  • かくりよの宿飯 あやかしお宿に嫁入りします。 2 [Kakuriyo no Yadomeshi: Ayakashi Oyado ni Yomeiri shimasu. 2] (Kakuriyo: Bed & Breakfast for Spirits, #2)
  • Skull-face Bookseller Honda-san, Vol. 1
  • 高嶺と花 4 (Takane to Hana #4)
  • 高嶺と花 6 (Takane to Hana #6)

Wotakoi: Love is Hard for Otaku (9 books)
  • unknown book
  • Keine Cheats für die Liebe 02
  • ヲタクに恋は難しい 3 [Wotaku ni Koi wa Muzukashii 3] (Wotakoi: Love Is Hard for Otaku, #3)
  • ヲタクに恋は難しい 4 [Wotaku ni Koi wa Muzukashii 4] (Wotakoi: Love Is Hard for Otaku, #4)
  • ヲタクに恋は難しい 5 [Wotaku ni Koi wa Muzukashii 5] (Wotakoi: Love Is Hard for Otaku, #5)
  • ヲタクに恋は難しい 6 [Wotaku ni Koi wa Muzukashii 6] (Wotakoi: Love Is Hard for Otaku, #6)
  • ヲタクに恋は難しい 7 [Wotaku ni Koi wa Muzukashii 7] (Wotakoi: Love is Hard for Otaku, #7)
  • ヲタクに恋は難しい 8