Start by marking “Jo: A Graphic Novel” as Want to Read:
Jo: A Graphic Novel

Jo: A Graphic Novel

A modern-day graphic novel adaptation of Little Women that explores identity, friendships, and new experiences through the eyes of thirteen-year-old Jo March. A must-read for fans of Raina Telgemeier.

With the start of eighth grade, Jo March decides it’s time to get serious about her writing and joins the school newspaper. But even with her new friend Freddie cheering her o
Published September 22nd 2020 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about Jo, please sign up.

Start your review of Jo: A Graphic Novel
Rod Brown
A new take on Little Women that brings the events into the modern day. Jo is a thirteen-year-old girl in middle school who uses her secret blog to work out her feelings about her family and her life. The characters are readily recognizable even as their day-to-day lives diverge widely from the original novel and LGBTQ+ themes are explored.

This is very good, but has the misfortune to follow closely on the heels of the similar but slightly better Meg, Jo, Beth, and Amy: A Graphic Novel: A Modern R
Reading_ Tam_ Ishly
*highlights:

The artstyle is just like Raina Telgemeier's graphic novels and the characters are well defined. I appreciate the focus on writing as the main theme. And also, the LGBTQIAP representation and use of the pronouns.

*However, there's not much going on in the story. I don't think you will have to read Little Women first to read this graphic novel as it's just a story of a family with 4 daughters going on with their everyday life with a worried mother and a dad staying away for work.

I wan
Ruth Covington
Jo Swenson
May 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As a queer person who named myself after Jo March my review may be a little biased but this was perfect.

I have needed a canonically queer Jo my entire life and Kathleen Gros delivered that beautifully.

Beyond that premise this is just a very well done adaptation. Gros manages to fit the theme of personal growth, explored in the original story through Bunyan’s “The Pilgrim’s Progess,” into this story without coming off as overly sanctimonious. And each of the March girls as well as Laurie and Ma
Sara
Very cute modern adaptation of Little Women. The whole thing was very cozy and sweet!
Nev
Feb 09, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*Clears throat, takes out megaphone* GAY JO MARCH

This was such a lovely middle grade graphic novel adaptation of Little Women. I really enjoyed the art style and seeing how parts of the original story were switched up. I’m not sure if it’s because this was a graphic novel, but sometimes certain parts of the story felt a bit glossed over or like they went by way too quickly. But overall I think this was a very sweet book and it gave me the gay Jo March story that I’ve been wanting.
Kate
Sep 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kathleen Gros is a massively talented illustrator and writer – her style as a graphic novelist is somehow simultaneously as fun and expressive as Erika Moen's and as profound and emotive as Alison Bechdel's.

I loved this modern, queer adaptation of Little Women, and thought it was beautifully executed from start to finish. One thing I really appreciated about it is how chill it is: there's very little anger and conflict in this story as it's told here, and many many moments of characters just...
Maria Rowe
If this wasn’t loosely based off “Little Women” I would have given this five stars. But it was. The main themes of the original - to me, at least - are family, women’s independence, poverty and generosity (I’m sure I’m missing a few, but those stood out the most to me). The graphic novel covers the theme of family very well. But it doesn’t cover women’s independence. It doesn’t cover poverty: Jo and are her family look like they’re middle class. Also Laurie’s grandfather doesn’t seem absurdly we ...more
Natalie Thompson
Oh my sweetness!! This was such an adorable story!! Huge Little Women fan!! Love gems like this. Retelling of one of my favorite books... thank you so much to Erica for blessing me with this!!
Katie Lawrence
This was a really fun, sweet modernized take on Little Women. I loved the way Jo was developed as a character here, her coming out and how gentle her crush on Freddie was. Beth has Leukemia and is coping with remission. Her storyline is handled with great compassion and she's so lovingly supported by her family. Gros did a great job modernizing a lot of the storylines, maintaining some key Little Women moments while keeping things fresh. Amy and Meg seemed less important to me, while Jo certainl ...more
Kimberly Wright Oelkers
I loved this book! A take on Jo from Little Women in a graphic novel! I read the original in 6th grade and I have identified with Jo Marsh my whole life since then. I can't wait for the next book! ...more
Ms. Yingling
E ARC provided by Edelweiss Plus

In this modern reimaging of the classic Little Women, we see the March family struggling with their father's deployment. There mother is a nurse who works long hours, and the girls follow the basic trajectory of the original novel. Meg is kind of boring, interested in a young man and a mature high school student. Amy is immature and bratty (sorry, never been an Amy fan), and Beth is in remission from leukemia and does not die. Laurie is still a neighbor, although
Christina
Jun 03, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I grew up loving Louisa May Alcott's Little Women. I'm not sure if it was seeing my ideals, ambitions, and faults mirrored in the tenacious authoress Jo or being enamored with the idea of having one sister, let alone three. I read it every few years and it continues to worm its way deeper into my heart.

So when I saw that there was a Graphic Novel retelling coming out for middle-grade I obviously HAD to have it!!! There are some very cute adaptations for modern audiences, such as having Jo blog a
Dara Yoder
Jul 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Loved this graphic novel! Cute and sweet story about sisterhood, friendship, and coming out in a supportive environment without it being too mushy and sweet!
Rachel
Nicely done; it manages to keep the spirit of Little Women while setting it in the present day. Everyone's personalities are true to the original. And Jo is gay, as she should have been!

Some details are anachronistic or not-quite-right. In the days of cell phones and asking for kids' pronouns for a middle school journalism meeting (which I would be happy to see happen but does it really?), a whole family (and way later a nonrelated neighbor) don't get chicken pox. Kids in middle school are highl
Becca
Oct 13, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It's a queer retelling (sort of) of Little Women, but it's not the queer retelling I wanted.

Good for younger readers, but I think it's too light for most 13-year-olds. Every relationship is perfect in every way, and I don't like when stories for kids ignore interpersonal conflict. It's not like kids aren't aware that their peers can be cruel or that adults will often let them down. I especially wish Marmee wasn't made out to be the Perfect Mother. Even the idealistic OG Little Women didn't do t
Christine (Padfoot's Library)
Loved this spin on Little Women! It follows Jo who is dealing with three sisters, a father who is away from home, eighth grade generally, joining a new newspaper group, and just finding her sense of self. It was a lot of fun, and I loved how it brought characters I love from the OG LW to light in a new way.

Thanks HCC for sending me a review copy!
Mari Johnston
I’ve never been a fan of Little Women, something I actually feel pretty guilty about, so I was hoping that this adaptation centering around Jo would make me feel differently - it didn’t. The whole thing felt forced and flat. I did love that Jo was gay though!
Christine
This was very meh. If you want a stellar, modern, graphic novel interpretation of Little Women, your time is much better spent on “Meg, Jo, Beth, and Amy” by Rey Terciero.
Jessie
FINALLY, the lesbian Jo March we all deserve. (view spoiler) ...more
Virginia Woolf’s Actual Wife
extremely cute. made Jo gay as she should be
Kelly
Jul 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I blew through this fun trip with Jo. I reminisced about the original, but I also found myself loving these modern characters and enjoying the story being retold. My students are going to love it!
Kim
Jul 06, 2020 rated it liked it
A quick, light read with a warm-fuzzy ending. It was fun to see how Gros modernized elements of the Alcott classic.
Diane
Sep 17, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
I thought that this was really cute. Was looking through ARC's for something lite/sweet/easy for my YA book club. This fit the bill. I LOVE Little Women and its an interesting adaption. Clearly Ms. Gros a big fan of the Louisa May Elliott classics and spent a lot of time thinking about how her characters would transfer to modern life. Hoping for a sequel, as I am anxious to see how the Marsh sisters grow up in current times / Graphic Novel.

As a plus - The characters are normal sized which I deep
michelle
* Thank you to Edelweiss and Harper Collins for a digital review copy. All opinions are my own.

A modern graphic novel re-imagining of Jo's life from Little Women. This engaging story has Jo in modern time who likes to blog about her life. As the school year starts, she is excited by the prospect of something different. She definitely gets a year of change and Kathleen Gros handles tricky emotions well. An interesting way to bring a classic story to graphic novel format and good for kids to consi
Dipali
Loved this! Such a wonderful modern-day adaptation of Little Women!
Alicia
A middle grade graphic novel that adapts Little Women for a new age both using the graphic novel format and Jo's sexuality as the catalysts of retelling the story. The basics are generally similar (Dad's away, he's in the military and overseas), Mom has four girls one who is sick (cancer), Jo, the writer who is part of the school's newspaper, the older sister and younger sister that are explained in enough general details. And then Laurie moves next door with his rich grandfather.

It's a quiet m
Kathi Rauscher
May 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
The title states it “An adaptation of Little Women (sort of). The character names are the same, father is away, Amy is ill etc. Jo still a writer but in 8th grade. A time when things are changing. This story was well written and not preachy. Jo comes to realize who she is. She feel a weight lifted when she shares this with her friends and family.
Kassy MacPherson
Jun 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
What a cute story. If you want a true coming of age story this is it! I loved it.
The graphics were great! The plot was so interesting on how the author used "Little Women" in 2020! The love story was great! I just loved this story so much!
Aryssa
May 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
I love Little Women, OK?
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Measuring Up
  • American Dirt
  • Witches of Brooklyn
  • The Boy from the Woods
  • Class Act (New Kid, #2)
  • Shirley and Jamila Save Their Summer
  • Claudia and the New Girl
  • Fantastic Tales of Nothing
  • Twins
  • Séance Tea Party
  • A Cat Story
  • Young Justice Book One: The Early Missions
  • The Au Pairs (The Au Pairs #1)
  • Jackpot
  • Forget Me Nat (Nat Enough #2)
  • Oh My Gods! (OMGs #1)
  • The Rakess (Society of Sirens, #1)

News & Interviews