Start by marking “If You Only Knew” as Want to Read:
If You Only Knew

If You Only Knew

A boy recently released from jail and the daughter of a prosecutor fall for each other against the odds in this YA novel.

Corey has just been released from jail, and all he wants is a new beginning. But when his former gang comes knocking, Corey agrees to vandalize the home of Kent Hopper, the prosecutor who put him away.

To erase the guilt she carries from getting away with
Published February 11th 2020 by Swoon Reads

To ask other readers questions about If You Only Knew, please sign up.
Prerna Pickett Yes there is a romantic relationship! No there isn't anything explicit. Just kissing. …moreYes there is a romantic relationship! No there isn't anything explicit. Just kissing. (less)
These Violent Delights by Chloe GongAll the Stars and Teeth by Adalyn  GraceAll Your Twisted Secrets by Diana UrbanWhere Dreams Descend by Janella AngelesThe Outlands by Tyler Edwards
YA Debuts 2020
152 books — 610 voters
The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes by Suzanne CollinsChain of Gold by Cassandra ClareOne of Us Is Next by Karen M. McManusA ​Sky Beyond the Storm by Sabaa TahirImagine Me by Tahereh Mafi
YA Novels of 2020
797 books — 2,974 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of If You Only Knew
Candace Robinson
Jan 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
So I actually read Prerna’s short story in Love in Main and I loved it. I remember seeing her upcoming book on Edelweiss and decided to download it. I’m super picky with contemporary so I’m hard to please!

But! I loved it! It was very character driven with an interesting gang concept. And Corey and Tessa were my little babies! Their chemistry was on fire!

The dialogue was fun and the serious moments mingled in very well! I explode with happiness when there’s a mixture of this! Can’t wait to read m
Prerna Pickett
Apr 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
So this is my book. I might be a bit biased, but I love it!
;3
for ONCE i would just like to read a contemporary romance where i don’t roll my eyes every few pages. for ONCE i would like to not slog through corny insta love. for once i would like to care about the characters instead of just making this face 😐

also if anyone is drawn in by the cover thinking both mcs are poc, don’t bother. they’re not.
Yna the Mood Reader
Feb 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
If You Only Knew is a slow burn YA Contemporary with elements of growing up, maturity, drama, moving on from mistakes, and understanding oneself.

It tells the story of Corey and Tessa, and their journey amidst secrets, lies, and the gang life.

It takes a while before the plot buildz, but the chemistry between the two main characters is truly worth the wait. It is sweet and sexy and funny at times, but there are a lot of violence & gang-related themes.

This story began as a seemingly enemies to love
Tanya
Feb 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Sometimes you're just in the mood for a swoony YA romance. If that's the case, then CHASE THE NIGHT by Prerna Pickett will definitely hit the spot. It's got all the winning elements you could possibly be looking for:

1. A misunderstood bad boy (who is not really all that bad)
2. A firecracker type female protagonist who rides motorcycles.
3. Lots of romantic tension.
4. Twists and turns that you might not see coming.
5. A satisfying ending.

The story begins with the male protagonist Corey, who has jus
✨Brithanie Faith✨
Jan 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
4/5 stars ⭐⭐⭐⭐

ARC provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

Strong female lead? Check ✔ Unlikely romance? Check ✔ Superb writing? Check ✔
There was honestly so much to love about this one that I don't know where to start!

This was one of my most anticipated romance reads of the year- and it exceeded all of my expectations! It was funny, heart-warming, there was plenty of tension/suspense, and to top it all off- a not so bad boy that happens to be an extremely talented artist- a
Shannon Doleski
Jan 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I got to read this sweet YA contemporary early!!! Chase the Night follows two heroes you will be rooting for the whole time. Corey, released from prison, is the sweet, cinnamon roll bad boy who's not actually a bad boy. And Tessa is a motorcycle-loving, poker-playing daughter with secrets who are crushing her. When Tessa's lawyer father makes Corey repair the garage he and his gang trash, unlikely sparks ignite.

Do you love the Serpents from Riverdale? Do you love cute, swoony love? How about le
Raquel Gilliland
Jan 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I’m SO excited to have been able to read Prerna Pickett’s debut, IF YOU ONLY KNEW. Filled with beautiful prose and a gorgeous love tale, I was hooked from its opening pages. The book TOTALLY delivered on its promise of an entertaining and heart-warming love story. I was utterly drawn along its spell with the main characters' amazing chemistry (seriously, Pickett deserves an award just for the chemistry alone!).

Tessa and Corey, at first glance, don’t seem to have a ton in common. He’s just been r
Samantha (WLABB)
Jan 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, contemporary, romance, arcs
Corey had just finished serving his time for a crime he didn't commit, but he quickly fell back into old patterns. After vandalizing the home of the lawyer, who prosecuted his case, he found himself back in trouble. The prosecutor's daughter suggested giving Corey a second chance, an opportunity to redeem himself, as she herself was seeking redemption. Sparks inevitably flew, but would these two be able to overcome their past and forge a future together?

• Pro: I had so much sympathy for Corey an
Jenny Moke
Feb 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fans of Simone Elkeles, listen up! You're not going to want to miss this sexy, sweet, thrilling new book from debut author Prerna Pickett! It had everything my (formerly) teen heart needed - a misunderstood "bad boy" who was working hard to protect his family and pay off his debts; a motorcycle riding badass of a female protagonist; SO MUCH sexy chest touching; and a plot that will constantly surprise you as it twists and turns underneath you (wink wink). Pickett builds the romance between Corey ...more
Jeff Bishop
Mar 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
When the contemporary faction of YA literature eventually rises up and demands comparable word counts to their fantasy counterparts, CHASE THE NIGHT will be held up as a shining example of the immersive world-building a talented author can accomplish when armed with the space to do so.

It zigs where you think it'll zag, starting as a quasi "enemies-to-lovers" tale before evolving into a tension-filled love story that would make even the most-concrete hearted (i.e. me) swoon. It even makes time t
Aiden Thomas
Sep 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Friends, I ADORED this book!

I was instantly drawn in by our MC, Tessa. She's fierce, hiding a secret, and rides a motorcycle. I also have an extreme soft spot for our love interest, Corey, who has been sucked into a world of gangs and drugs against his will. I really love the complicated spot he's in, and how he's trying to do his best to take care of his family. There is GREAT tension with a swoon-worthy enemies to lovers slow burn (hi, hello, Lawyer's Daughter x Soft Bad Boy Recently Released
Aly
Nov 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: age-young-adult
GIVE ME ALL THE GANG NOVELS IN YA!

When I read the synopsis for this I was already hooked! I've always been a fan of books that incorporate gangs in some way, whether it's fantasy or contemporary, but I don't believe I've read any that delve into romance. A Thousand Fires may breach into that territory (which I also loved by the way), but If You Only Knew goes DEEP and hits all the right spots.

This book is swoony, but it still deals with many of the issues that a lot of adolescents go through n
Natalie
Apr 22, 2020 rated it it was ok
It required wayyyyy too much suspension of disbelief for a contemporary novel. I didn’t really care for either Corey or Tessa. I don’t like books that involve secret-keeping and withholding the truth.
Madison
Feb 03, 2020 rated it liked it
If You Only Knew is perfect for readers who enjoy the grit and gang-backdrop romances of Simone Elkeles. This second-chance, hidden-secrets romance will have readers anxiously awaiting the fates of these never-meant-to-be characters and the trauma-filled pasts they must face to find hope in their futures.

Corey would do anything to protect his family, even taking up with the gang his father worked for, even taking the fall and going to jail for his least-favourite gang member. Tessa has a privile
Samantha Hastings
Apr 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you’re looking for a book as wild and romantic as a late night motorcycle ride this book is for you!

Tessa and Corey are two complex characters who have made mistakes (and make more) as they’re trying to change the paths they’re on. Their romance sizzles as they slowly learn to trust each other with their secrets.
Jessica | Booked J
May 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Blog | Twitter | Instagram | Tik Tok | You can find my review here.

As always, a copy of this book was provided by the publisher or author in exchange for my honest review. This does not effect my opinion in any way.

Redemption, secrets and facing the past are all central plot points in If You Only Knew. Like all good coming of age stories, If You Only Knew is all about growing up and changing into the person you've always meant to be. As flawed and complex as the lifelines we trace, these ch
Shannon Takaoka
Mar 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya, roaring20sdebut
I’m always up for a slow-burn romance, especially when it’s as well done as IF YOU ONLY KNEW. When Corey (just out of prison) meets Tessa (feisty prosecutor’s daughter), it’s not under the best of circumstances – he and the gang he’s involved with are vandalizing her father’s garage. And while this early encounter might peg each of them as a certain “type,” there is much more to these two than meets the eye. As they both try to make amends for past mistakes, their growing feelings for one anothe ...more
Jen Zingaro
Feb 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
I thought this was an enjoyable, well-written YA romance.
I love the premise of the story. Sort of forbidden. Prosecutor's daughter with redeemed criminal.
I think there is such a valuable lesson that is taught in this story. That second chances are worthwhile and important. That telling the truth and owning your mistakes makes you a strong person.
There is a lot of suspense and mystery in the story that kept me turning the pages.
Tessa and Corey were just ... *sigh*, so good together.
Lani Forbes
Mar 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Oh my gosh, I love tension in a love story and I can’t think of a way to have more tension than a former prisoner and the daughter of the prosecutor who put him away! The characters were so multi-faceted and well done, especially Corey trying to redeem himself and prove he’s more than his past and Tessa’s badassery (this girl rides MOTORCYCLES) and hidden secrets. I highly recommend for romance fans!! SWOON!
Katy Upperman
Apr 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult
This was fantastic! As a reader, I thought Tessa and Corey's chemistry and slow-burn romance was incredibly well done. As a writer, I found myself studying the very skillful way Prerna developed her characters and pulled off twists in her story's plot. Fans of Simone Elkeles and Katie McGarry will love this contemporary debut! ...more
Olivia Wildenstein
May 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A sweet romance.

I loved that Tessa was the hard-as-nails biker instead of the damsel in distress. It made for an original female lead.

Corey was the good guy trying to become a great one, which considering his gang affiliation was very unexpected.
Melanie Stanford
Apr 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book!
Maggie
Aug 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I ADORED the role reversal of Tessa being the bad-ass biker with a good public reputation and Corey being the misunderstood sweetheart with a bad public reputation. They each had their own baggage and gave each other support and reassurance in different aspects of their lives- I loved that it never felt out of balance- they each gave and took in equal amounts. Their chemistry sizzled and I really enjoyed getting to spend time in each of their heads. Excited to read more from Prerna!
Cindy Wilkerson
Jun 25, 2020 marked it as dnf
DNF @ pg 25

The writing is not for me, and I do not care about the characters enough to push through.
Mesmerised
May 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is the reason I read books and enjoy reading contemporary books. The slow-burn angst, the layered characters and loads of drama.
CAMERON
Feb 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I picked up this new YA release for a weeklong work trip to Florida this week, but the 304-page beauty (look at that cover!) only made it through the 4-hour flight, as I could not put it down....despite my grumbling tummy! While I am now left without a book to read at the hotel, I have no regrets. Pickett's unique style really engulfed me into the story all along the way. She has a distinct voice, which is well-differentiated as you alternate back and forth between the dual perspective main char ...more
Stephanie
Jun 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
All the ingredients here for a reformed bad-boy (and not so straightlaced girl) romance. I loved that the girl was the motorcycle rider; lots here to like, a lot of conflict and tense moments. It reminded me a lot of Katie McGarry books in a good way!
Smileitsjoy (JoyMelody)
Thank you to the publishers for the gifted copy for an honest review

I loved this book.
I was worried it would be too cliche and predictable
But Pickett did a great job writing a story that needs to be told in the YA fiction world.
In this book the main characters are going through major transitions. That period where you are between high school and college and peer pressure sinks in.

this book touches on issues of honesty and gang violence in small towns and even prejudices
I read this book in a
Sara (A Gingerly Review)
DNF with no rating

I

Could

Not

Finish

The instalove was awful and I had no idea what the overall story was because it was all about graffiti and motorcycles. NOPE.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Breath Like Water
  • The Lucky Ones
  • Beauty and the Greek Billionaire
  • Every Reason We Shouldn't (Every Reason We Shouldn't, #1)
  • Heart Swings
  • How to Speak Boy
  • The Guinevere Deception (Camelot Rising, #1)
  • The Tenth Girl
  • The Oysterville Sewing Circle
  • Nobody's Duke (League of Dukes #1)
  • American Dirt
  • Four Dead Queens
  • Dream Things True
  • More Than Maybe
  • Lucky Caller
  • Lovely War
  • The Story Peddler (The Weaver Trilogy, #1)
  • The Perfect Escape