Start by marking “The Manic Pixie Dream Boy Improvement Project” as Want to Read:
The Manic Pixie Dream Boy Improvement Project

The Manic Pixie Dream Boy Improvement Project

Riley lives in TropeTown, where everyone plays stock roles in novels. Riley, a Manic Pixie Dream Boy, is sent to group therapy after going off-script. Riley knows that breaking the rules again could get him terminated, yet he feels there must be more to life than recycling the same clichés for readers' entertainment. Then he meets Zelda, a Manic Pixie Dream Girl (Geek Chic ...more
Published March 5th 2019 by Carolrhoda Lab

To ask other readers questions about The Manic Pixie Dream Boy Improvement Project, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Manic Pixie Dream Boy Improvement Project

Lenore Appelhans
Apr 20, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
This is a meta-fiction romantic comedy about redefining the labels we're given - on our own terms. It's about looking beyond the stereotype and getting to know the actual person. It's about writing and the writing process and the magic and the frustration and the courage to step up and be the main character in your own story. It's a satire of YA tropes with the utmost affection for the category. It's my favorite thing I've ever written, and I can't wait for you to read it.

Why, yes! I do have a b
Jypsy
Jan 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What can I say about this book? The Manic Pixie Dream Boy Improvement Project is definitely different from anything I've ever read. That's not necessarily a bad thing, though. I liked the story for its oddness and quirkiness. It's about Riley. He's a MPDB trope in Tropetown. He is going to group therapy because he went off script. While there, he meets a Manic Pixie Dream Girl. Turns out, the Manic Pixie Dream tropes are going to be retired. So, off they go to save the day. The story is everythi ...more
Taylor (TaysInfiniteThougts)
This book was definitely different than most of the books I've read before, which isn't always a bad thing. In this case, it was a good thing. I like books that are different so I don't feel like I'm reading the same stuff over and over. This book is about pushing past labels and stereotypes to actually get to know someone. It's cute, funny and entertaining. It's a fast-paced book that I think a lot of people would enjoy.
Samantha (WLABB)
Feb 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Readers are often lamenting about "the tropes", and one that often takes a beating is the manic pixie dream girl. This was a fun exploration of the MPDGs and their token boy, as they set out on their quest to save and redefine their trope.

• Pro: I had a lot of fun reading this book. It was odd and quirky, and I found myself laughing and nodding as I recognized so many of these characters and their traits from the books I have read.

• Pro: I've read several of these meta type books, and for me, t
Mary Thompson
May 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: teen
Lenore Appelhans has managed to create a book that both works on its own as a fun story about characters you care about and is also a clever sendup of YA tropes. This book will both entertain you and make you think. Just like Riley doesn’t have to helplessly accept his fate as a Manic Pixie Dream Boy, you don’t have to accept force-fed stereotypes. Get ready to change the way you think about every YA book you’ve ever read.
Brittany Lamb
Note: Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for sending me a free, advanced copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

This is a really cute book that I was ultra excited to read when NetGalley approved me. I think that as readers, we all love to joke around about tropes and the overuse of certain ones (especially the manic pixie dream girl trope), but I never imagined a book centered entirely around them.

This book is kind of like one long play on words. Does that make sense? It’s wr
Becca
Jan 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received an e-ARC of The Manic Pixie Dream Boy Improvement Project from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review! Any quotes used in this review are from the ARC copy & may not be in the final book.

Be still my pixie heart.

I’m gonna be real with ya. this book is so stinkin’ cute. By accident, I picked it up last night & didn’t move until the very last page. & it wasn’t even because I was at the edge of my seat, but just because it was so cute & very fast-paced. I believe it on
Pamela Stennett
Jan 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing

So, I have a confession.

When I was younger, I loved the Manic Pixie Dream Girl (or Boy when they were present) trope. I resonated with the spunky, energetic, quirkiness so much. I’ve always been a little bit MPDG, probably.

But as I got older, I started looking at the trope a little bit differently. While I was a free spirit and hyperactive, I still had my own goals and dreams. I won’t turn this into a dissertation on gender role expectations but needless t
Molly
Nov 27, 2018 rated it liked it
There was so much to love about this book, but there was also so much to critique. Overall, I enjoyed it, and it had some really great progressive moments despite having room to grow in other areas.

A brief summary: Riley is the only Manic Pixie Dream BOY in Trope Town, and he is in trouble. He's been a little too negative around his authors, so he is ordered to therapy where he can learn to behave like the proper supporting role that he is. Trouble arises, however, when he finds himself infatua
Kristen Lippert-Martin
Jan 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It is my opinion that Lenore Appelhans is a bit of a genius. Please see THE MANIC PIXIE DREAM BOY IMPROVEMENT PROJECT as proof of that assertion.

If you're a regular reader of YA, you'll no doubt get a kick out of the whole concept of these oft-used characters and tropes, all living in Trope Town, doing the bidding of their authors whether they agree with their tired plot lines or not. After all, "The author is always right."

And you'll read along, smiling and nodding, like "Yep, I've seen *that
Hannah
4.5/5. I received an eARC from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. I'm a huge fan of meta fiction, and this book was such a joy to read. My full review can be read here: http://twincitiesgeek.com/2019/02/the....
Clara
Dec 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley-and-ew
This is really hard to rate: there are some ways in which this VASTLY exceeded my expectations, but in other ways, I really wanted it to go further.
Samantha
Mar 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc
4.5 Stars!
Buddy Read with Isabelle! ❤
"Even if they are only parts, every part we take on informs our own sense of self. And when we're forced to live the same quirks over and over, those quirks start to define us."

This novel was insanely adorable.

A work of contemporary meta-fiction with a splash of romantic comedy, The Manic Pixie Dream Boy Improvement Project (MPDBIP), follows the story of Riley and the consequences he faces for going off script during a writing session with an author. However
Isabelle
Buddy read with Sam! ❤

I received a review copy from Netgalley. This does not affect my rating or opinions.

4.5 stars.

I knew from the title and cover that this would be one of The Best or else one of The Worst books I read this year, and I am so excited to announce that it turned out to be the former!

When have you ever heard of two Manic Pixies in love? I mean, wouldn't the universe explode from an overload of quirky cuteness?

This is so delightfully meta and so delightfully cute, self-aware and
Flavia
Jan 18, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arcs
★★☆☆☆

(2 stars)

(I received this book for free for an honest review off of Netgalley)

I'm a little stumped on writing this review, hence my lack of attempt at coming up with a more snappy title. This is a very tricky book to review, on account of it being extremely meta about... books. And itself. Is it satire the plot, world, and characters are lacking? Is it on a winking purpose that the romance and story arc is so predictable and simple? Is the writing style meant to lampshade the meta nature of
Brenna Clark
Feb 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thank you so much to NetGalley and Lerner Publishing Group for this ARC! I was instantly hooked by the name and the premise, and I am so excited to say that it did NOT let me down! We follow Riley, a lone Manic Pixie Dream Boy, as he navigates life in TropeTown. We are introduced to so many tropes and sub types and even a few Developeds (the main characters of your favorite novels) and even though some of these share characteristics, they are all their own standout beings. I loved the absolute w ...more
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
Full disclosure, the author, Lenore Appelhans, is one of my dearest friends. My opinion is still honest, because that's my brand, but FYI I do love her so fucking much. (Also, her husband—who she only got to spend just over 2 years with including the time they were dating and who she loved with her whole entire heart—passed away completely unexpectedly, and she could use support. Please consider preordering this book to help her out. Her life is very dark and grief-ridden now, and she could use ...more
Juliana
Dec 30, 2018 rated it liked it
I was given a digital ARC from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
This book is not what I expected at all. It was unique and very meta to the point that I liked it but didn't love it. The concept was very fresh and made me want to keep reading. What stuck with me the most were the scenes where Riley was in a book within the book and talking about the Author writing his scene. I liked these scenes the most because I could easily relate. When I write, I imagine my characters and how I can
Becca Jacquin
Dec 26, 2018 rated it liked it
This book was way out of my comfort zone, but I couldn't get over the premise of getting to go behind the pages with characters.
I'm not overly familiar with meta-fiction and hope that it isn't the latest and greatest trend, because while this book was good it doesn't bear repeating.
There were hilarious parts, I mean group therapy straight out of Fight Club where you get to see some of the most common tropes thrown in a room together because they're misbehaving. Not to mention the cleverly named
Alyssa
Jan 22, 2019 rated it it was ok
I got an ARC of this from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

To start with the good, I love how meta this book was. In this book, the main characters are characters in stories, working with Authors. That made for a treasure trove of gems like this:

“We did Pilates together, and she cranked up her book playlist. She said she spent weeks coming up with songs that exude the atmosphere of the piece.” Ava snorts. “It kind of felt like a waste of time, honestly.”

As well as:

I swear I develop
Laura Hill
Nov 25, 2018 rated it liked it
I received a complimentary copy of this book from Lerner Publishing Group through NetGalley. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own. The book will be published on March 5, 2019.

Writing: 3.5 Plot: 3.0 Characters: 3.5
Cute and whimsical, this early YA book explores the world of stereotypes using fictional characters who long to be more than their boilerplate dictates. Riley is a Manic Pixie Dream Boy who works hard and is true to type, but chafes a bit under perceived Author misman
Nathan Bartos
I received a free eARC of this book from Lerner Publishing Group through Netgalley. I voluntarily read and reviewed this book, and all thoughts and opinions are my own.
This book had a really interesting concept, and it was great to read a piece of meta-fiction since it's not something that I ever pick up. I liked some of the directions this went in and the discussions on when using a trope is okay and when using a trope is problematic or lazy writing.
One of my major problems with this book is th
ashley  lloyd spanton
Feb 16, 2019 rated it it was ok
Judging a Book by it's Cover - 2019-02-16
The description of this book sounds so strangely unique and brilliant, I have no idea what to expect, but hope that my going off script and taking a chance on this weird little book will be worth it.

( 2.5 Stars )
Review
- 2019-02-21
A book about living and breathing tropes in a place called TropeTown who get called upon by authors to fulfill their trope roles in the novels they are currently writing. How very meta! I thought this was a pretty cute and uniqu
Erin (_everysecondbook)
Welcome to Tropetown, where your worst fears are realized and tropes are literally everwhere

2.5/5 stars

I was provided an early copy by Netgalley and the publisher in exchange for an honest review

Here's the thing: this book was enjoyable and different but it just could've been taken so much further. And I do realize it is a huge tribute to the tropes and will play into them. I just thought it would be a bit more satirical than this.

I don't know, the characters all felt incredibly flat to me. Whic
Julie
Feb 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I remember studying meta fiction in university and adoring the concept - this book is definitely self-aware in the sense that it breaks the fourth wall several times. It is what it is: if you enjoy the manic pixie trope then you should enjoy this book.

Also, any writer will read this book and will cringe at the cliches and at the tropes because we’ve all put them in our own stories, but it’s done with such a tongue-in-cheek approach that it totally works. I adored seeing the authors manifest lit
Dominic
Jan 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult, arc
I had such a lot of fun reading this book, and I believe it has wide reader appeal. There are many winks and nods to fellow fiction writers, especially those of young adult literature, but Appelhans' wit will delight even the cleverest of teenage readers. I can think of many of my students who would love this book—from those who have tired of seeing the tropes of the genre and have moved on, to those who still relish an enjoyable YA love story.

And any reader who has ever felt like a character wa
Roni Derossett
Feb 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
I'm not sure I'll ever think of the lesser-developed characters in a story the same way again!

Riley is a Manic Pixie Dream Boy (a subtype of the Manic Pixie Dream Girl stock character category), and he lives in TropeTown, where all undeveloped stock character types live. As a member of TropeTown, you have a character sheet with the basic qualities of your character type, down to likes and dislikes, laid out for you, and a wristband that lights up when your author is ready to work with you.

Rule
Jessica
Feb 03, 2019 rated it liked it
This is an extremely interesting premise and it is quite unlike anything I have ever read before. There was some great breaking of the fourth wall and the whole book comes off very meta which I really enjoyed. Our main character Riley is someone you start rooting for almost automatically because he has such a likable personality and I really enjoy his struggle with whether he is who he is because of programming or because that really is him. There is a great moment in the book where the characte ...more
Natasha Deen
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Funny, endearing, charming, subversive, and definitely meta, The Manic Pixie Dream Boy Improvement Project is a fun read.

Premise: Riley, a MPDB, is sent to group therapy for not listening to his author (read: for going off the script of being an MPDB). While there, he meets Zelda and shenanigans ensue.

Riley is stereotypical enough to justify his trope, yet his self-awareness and internal dialogue, break him from the form. He’s delightful and worth cheering for, and I found myself flipping the pa
Tamara Morning
Mar 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya
Title: The Manic Pixie Dream Boy Improvement Project
Author: Lenore Appelhans
Genre: YA, fantasy
Rating: 4 out of 5

Riley is a Manic Pixie Dream Boy—the trope’s token boy—in trouble for speaking out in his last novel role. He’s sentenced to do therapy in TropeTown with other Manic Pixies who have behaved outside of their roles. Riley isn’t sure therapy is going to help him, until he meets Zelda, another Manic Pixie, and decides maybe it won’t be so bad.

But the Manic Pixies have been causing trouble,
« previous 1 3 next »
  • How the Light Gets in
  • Jack of Hearts
  • 4 Wizards
  • Cold Day in the Sun
  • The Lovely and the Lost
  • The Bone Houses
  • The Boy Next Story (Bookish Boyfriends, #2)
  • Home and Away
  • In Another Life
  • No Place Like Here
  • The Babysitters Coven (The Babysitters Coven, #1)
  • Have a Little Faith in Me