Start by marking “Sick Kids in Love” as Want to Read:
Sick Kids in Love

Sick Kids in Love

Isabel has one rule: no dating.
It's easier--
It's safer--
It's better--
--for the other person.
She's got issues. She's got secrets. She's got rheumatoid arthritis.
But then she meets another sick kid.
He's got a chronic illness Isabel's never heard of, something she can't even pronounce. He understands what it means to be sick. He understands her more than her healthy friends.
Published November 5th 2019 by Entangled: Teen

To ask other readers questions about Sick Kids in Love, please sign up.
Elizabeth Jeannel There are several LGBT characters in the story. Love interest is bisexual, his mom is married to a woman, the main protag has two female friends who a…moreThere are several LGBT characters in the story. Love interest is bisexual, his mom is married to a woman, the main protag has two female friends who are a couple. (less)
Elizabeth Jeannel They definitely kiss, and it's implied that they have sex, but not described. Nothing is explicit at all.

There is, however, a great deal of cursing, …more

There is, however, a great deal of cursing, so if you're wanting to avoid that?(less)

Start your review of Sick Kids in Love
C.G. Drews
Sick Kids In Love is getting slammed on the "best of the year" shelf SO FAST that my heart is still beating overtime. I loved it. Absolutely, wholly, achingly so. I'm really passionate about #ownvoices books and disability lit, especially when both collide in stories that are so deeply needed in this world. This is about the reality of chronic illnesses, and it's also about control and being vulnerable and being proud and owning your mistakes and apologising. It has TWO Jewish main characters!! ...more
Nilufer Ozmekik
Jan 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I have to rename this book and call it: “Amazing kids in love”!

I’m so pissed off because my early request was rejected by NetGalley and I had to wait for the actual release date and after book’s releasing, I had already too much books on my plate to consume.

So I wasted a lot of time to get my hands on this one and as soon as I started, I mesmerized and loved the story so much. I wished I could read it before.

It’s not heart wrecking, extreme emotional story which made me like it more. The book c
Ariel
Oct 28, 2019 added it
It's spooky to read about a character who has such a similar illness to me but also really powerful. It's nice to feel seen! Overall this was very cute and the main thing that propelled me forward was reading about how the couple navigated chronic illness. Always great to read new perspectives.
Emer (A Little Haze)
I feel seen.

And in the best possible sense.

This is own voices for chronic illness rep and it is seriously brilliant.

Not only is this story utterly adorable and will fulfil any need you have in your life for a cute and fluffy story...
But it's also authentic.

I didn't even know that was truly possible before this book.

Sick kids in love.
Sick kids being cute and adorable while being real and honest.
Sick kids taking ownership of their identity.
Sick kids being allowed to be sick kids and not alwa
Hannah
Apr 19, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
I wrote this, and I'm so incredibly excited for people to read it.

NOBODY DIES.

The playlist is long and not especially diverse:

If I Was Sick--Guy Forsyth
Best Worst Mistake--If/Then Cast Recording
One Ni
Larry H
Dec 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was utterly amazing and so not the tearjerker I was expecting!!

"I guess when I met him I felt some kind of camaraderie. Here was someone who was just going to deal with the everyday slog of being sick for the rest of his normal-length life until he died of something completely unrelated, just like me. That’s a weird and special and boring kind of existence that you don’t get to share with a lot of people."

Isabel and Sasha meet cute in the infusion room of a hospital. She’s being treate
Maja  - BibliophiliaDK ✨
SERIOUS TOPIC BUT SURPRISINGLY - AND DELIGHTFULLY - LIGHT 😄

Based solely on the title of this book, I was expecting something along the lines of The Fault in Our Stars. So when I set out to read it, I was actually expecting to be disappointed. I never like books that feel too much like I have read it before. However, I quickly realised that this was definitely not like TFiOS! I loved TFiOS as well, but this has the opposite feeling to it, it is light, humorous and optimistic. An easy 4 stars!

preoccupiedbybooks
An honest, real and adorable story of two teenagers with chronic illnesses falling in love.

Oh and they don't die in this one....(Not a spoiler)
description
This book was so adorable! Even though it dealt with heavy topics like chronic illness, dysfunctional families, betrayal and ablest friends, it wasn't depressing! It was actually really cute and uplifting, and I loved it!
description
The characters were so well written and developed. They felt real, had flaws and will be so relatable to young people suffering from ch
EmBibliophile
Apr 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-stars

Let’s talk about coincidence! I had an assignment where I had to write about specific three different diseases. I knew two them, and one I’ve never heard of. However, being typically me, I decided to do it later and picked this book instead. And guess what? The boy in this book has the same disease I’ve never heard of and was supposed to write my paper about. I mean what are the odds?!!!
Moral of the story; you can’t run away from your responsibilities, they will eventually catch up wit
Emma
"And if you don't think you're the kind of person that happens for, then you're my best friend and I need you to know I need you to know this about yourself, because you are bigger than you and me, and you are loved, Isabel. You will always be loved. And it will be so good."

Oh wow, I loved this.

When I first heard of Sick Kids in Love, I naturally assumed it was yet another TFIOS-esque story, because who wouldn't? Which, for the record, I wasn't a huge fan of. I mean, it was okay, but always f
Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen)
MAIN CHARACTER WITH CHRONIC ILLNESS ! ! ! ! !

I need this plz
may ❀
this is such a wholesome, sweet, beautiful story between two kids with invisible (and sometimes not so invisible) illnesses and the dialogue and conversations and no-nonsense way about it was an absolute delight

🥺🥺🥺🥺

Katie  Hanna
Dec 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: contemporary
This was such an amazing, thought-provoking book, and I'm still unpacking all my feelings about it.

(Spoiler alert: they're 99.9% GOOD feelings.)

So basically . . . it's the story of a sick boy and a sick girl who meet at the hospital. Sasha has Gaucher disease and Isabel (Ibby) has rheumatoid arthritis. They form a bond. Become best friends. Fall in love. Also--they don't die at the end.

Which, until I read this book, I didn't realize what a huge, gaping hole there is in sick-kid representation
Shannon (It Starts At Midnight)
Also in love? Me. With this book.
rachel ☾
i'm not going to shut up about this book for a long, long time.

◯ Review copy provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

BlogGoodreadsTwitterInstagram
M.  [storme reads a lot]
This book is absolutely amazing. Just like, it’s so good and everyone should read it. The audiobook is fantastic. I enjoyed it so much more because of the audio. This book just made my heart so happy.

Chronic illness needs to be talked about more. I don’t suffer from it, so I can’t speak of this personally. My partner does have RA though, and I’ve seen the pain and how difficult it can be to deal with so I do understand it as an observer.

Isabel writes a column for her school paper where she asks
Candace Robinson
I really liked the dialogue in this one and it had some cute moments. My husband has rheumatoid arthritis so it was hard for me to not compare that, though!
Samantha (WLABB)
Oct 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Rating: 4.5 Stars

Disclaimer: Both main characters in this book were sick, but they were not *that* kind of sick. They were chronically, but not terminally ill. So, to make a long story short, NOBODY DIES.

"Should Sick Girl date Sick Boy?" My answer was a resounding YES, and I was so happy Isabel took a chance on Sasha, because I adored watching them fall in love.

This book enchanted me. It cast a spell on me, and didn't let go, until the very end. So, how did I love thee? Let me list the ways:

• Sa
nat
Is there really anything negative to say about this book though
CW (The Quiet Pond) ✨
Oh heck, this book is so good and sweet and so satisfying.
Take note: Disabled and chronically ill characters do not have to die for a book to be meaningful. Because in Sick Kids in Love, the characters are indeed sick and disabled, they do not die, and this book still packs an emotional punch.

- Follows Isabel, a Jewish teen with rheumatoid arthritis, who meets Sashia, a Jewish teen who Gaucher disease, and the two become friends and, later, fall in love.
- This was such a lovely and easy read. Th
Courtney
Aug 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I went into this book bracing myself for cliches or for it to be something similar to what I’ve read before. But I was thrilled to be mistaken. I loved this book. LOVED. IT. I’ve never had a character articulate what I had felt before as I had in this book. I cried several times while reading because this author GOT IT. I was diagnosed with lupus and rheumatoid arthritis when I was 14 years old after being misdiagnosed several times. I’ve had those friends who have unintentionally made insensiti ...more
Melanie  Brinkman
What's the worst that could happen?

Life is so much easier for everyone if Isabel follows one simple rule: No dating. Or at least that's what she thinks. She's got issues. She's got problems. She's got rheumatoid arthritis.

But then she meets another sick kid. He's got an illness with a name she can't even pronounce. He gets her better than anyone else. He knows what it's like to be sick.

Together, they might just find out what it's like to be in love.

A story of questions and answers. A tale of al
caitlin ✶
Mar 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
AH, THIS BOOK IS SO UNDERRATED!!

list of things i liked about it

-the cuteness! we're basically just following two kids falling in love & figuring out how to be together 🥺
-the illness representation is so, so, so GOOD (there were probably so many nuances to it that i couldn't understand as a healthy person)
-casual diversity!! so much diversity! isabel and sasha are both jewish. isabel has rheumatoid arthritis and sasha has gaucher's disease. sasha is bisexual. there are lesbian and PoC side charac
Kate (GirlReading)
I LOVED THIS SO MUCH.

I will be writing somewhat of a review for it when I get my thoughts more in order but for now just know that I ADORED THIS SO VERY MUCH AND YOU NEED TO READ IT NOW THANK YOU.
Yna the Mood Reader
Mar 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobook
📚 Series? No.
📚 Genre? YA Romance.
📚 Cliffhanger? No.

⚠ Content Warnings:  Chronic illness. Graphic descriptions of chronic diseases, symptoms esp. pain, and treatments. Hospitals. Internalized Ableism. Ableism. Und
 Amelia
After years of "research" I think I've finally accepted that contemporary romance, unless it's a Kasie West fluffy type of book, is not a genre that I'm overly fond of. I know everyone always says you should explore other genres and not just stick to your fave one, and yes, I did discover new faves through this BUT you know what? I think the younger me knew pretty well what I do and don't like and after these last few years that I've read all sorts of things in the "name of research" I've come t ...more
Krysti
Jul 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I ADORED this! SICK KIDS IN LOVE has such amazing chronic illness representation, and I am so grateful for it! I have a collection of chronic illnesses myself, and this book made me look at them in such different and healthier ways. The idea that sickness isn't bad and shouldn't be treated as such blew my mind in the best way. This book made me realize that I can accept myself and my body in a way that I haven't done previously, and I'm so grateful! I've never thought about how problematic the i ...more
Sophie Gabrielle
We're doing something a little different today with my review. NOW IT'S PERSONAL.
So hey. My name is Arika. I'm a chronically ill/disabled writer! I suffer from Hypermobility Syndrome, depression and anxiety. Thanks to this book, I can say that loud and proud.

I'm not being dramatic when I say this book has literally changed my life. I've spent ten years struggling with my illnesses. I've tried hiding them. I've tried to have a "normal life". I've tried to achieve my dreams despite it all. I nev
Izzie
Dec 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
*4.5 Stars*
A book with good, accurate rep of chronically ill teenagers exists? IT DOES NOW. I implore anyone who is trying to read more diversely in 2020 to pick this book up. Finding a book that accurately portrays everything that a chronic illness involves is like finding a needle in a haystack, and I really want this book to get the hype that other brilliant, diverse books get.
So what’s it about? This follows our main character Isabel, who suffers with Rheumatoid Arthritis, as she meets a b
Abi (The Knights Who Say Book)
I'll never never never write a good enough review of this, but that's true of all of Hannah Moskowitz's books, so we'll just have to deal with that.

This book just hit me at a time in my life when I really needed something that approaches dating and love and friendship like this. I would have loved Sasha and Isabel no matter when I read them, because they are incredibly lovable, but the way they talked about being loved is something that I needed so much right now. And then it adds in all the ban
The Chapters Book...: Sick Kids In Love 1 18 Jan 06, 2020 11:05AM

• Just Breathe
  • Every Other Weekend
  • Tweet Cute
  • What I Carry
  • Harley Quinn: Breaking Glass
  • Yes No Maybe So
  • No Judgments (Little Bridge Island, #1)
  • The How and the Why
  • Holidate (Dating, #3)
  • This Train Is Being Held
  • The Upside of Falling
  • A Heart So Fierce and Broken (Cursebreakers, #2)
  • Winter King (The Wyth Courts #1)
  • By Any Means Necessary
  • Not the Girl You Marry
  • Holly Banks Full of Angst (Village of Primm #1)
  • Don't Read the Comments
  • Heartless Hero (Crowne Point #1)
Hannah Moskowitz wrote her first story, about a kitten named Lilly on the run from cat hunters, for a contest when she was seven years old. It was disqualified for violence. Her first book, BREAK, was on the ALA's 2010 list of Popular Paperbacks for Young Adults, and in 2013, GONE, GONE, GONE received a Stonewall Honor. 2015's NOT OTHERWISE SPECIFIED was named the YA Bisexual Book of the Year. She ...more