Start by marking “Sick Kids in Love” as Want to Read:
Sick Kids in Love

Sick Kids in Love

Isabel has one rule: no dating.
It's easier--
It's safer--
It's better--
--for the other person.
She's got issues. She's got secrets. She's got rheumatoid arthritis.
But then she meets another sick kid.
He's got a chronic illness Isabel's never heard of, something she can't even pronounce. He understands what it means to be sick. He understands her more than her healthy friends.
Published November 5th 2019 by Entangled: Teen

To ask other readers questions about Sick Kids in Love, please sign up.
The Bookavid Because of the love interest, Sasha. He's bisexual!
Elizabeth Jeannel They definitely kiss, and it's implied that they have sex, but not described. Nothing is explicit at all.

There is, however, a great deal of cursing,…more

There is, however, a great deal of cursing, so if you're wanting to avoid that?(less)

Start your review of Sick Kids in Love
C.G. Drews
Sick Kids In Love is getting slammed on the "best of the year" shelf SO FAST that my heart is still beating overtime. I loved it. Absolutely, wholly, achingly so. I'm really passionate about #ownvoices books and disability lit, especially when both collide in stories that are so deeply needed in this world. This is about the reality of chronic illnesses, and it's also about control and being vulnerable and being proud and owning your mistakes and apologising. It has TWO Jewish main characters!! ...more
Nilufer Ozmekik
Jan 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I have to rename this book and call it: “Amazing kids in love”!

I’m so pissed off because my early request was rejected by NetGalley and I had to wait for the actual release date and after book’s releasing, I had already too much books on my plate to consume.

So I wasted a lot of time to get my hands on this one and as soon as I started, I mesmerized and loved the story so much. I wished I could read it before.

It’s not heart wrecking, extreme emotional story which made me like it more. The book
Ariel
Oct 28, 2019 added it
It's spooky to read about a character who has such a similar illness to me but also really powerful. It's nice to feel seen! Overall this was very cute and the main thing that propelled me forward was reading about how the couple navigated chronic illness. Always great to read new perspectives.
Hannah
Apr 19, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
I wrote this, and I'm so incredibly excited for people to read it.

NOBODY DIES.

The playlist is long and not especially diverse:

If I Was Sick--Guy Forsyth
Best Worst Mistake--If/Then Cast Recording
One
Larry H
Dec 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was utterly amazing and so not the tearjerker I was expecting!!

"I guess when I met him I felt some kind of camaraderie. Here was someone who was just going to deal with the everyday slog of being sick for the rest of his normal-length life until he died of something completely unrelated, just like me. That’s a weird and special and boring kind of existence that you don’t get to share with a lot of people."

Isabel and Sasha meet cute in the infusion room of a hospital. She’s being
Emer (A Little Haze)
I feel seen.

And in the best possible sense.

This is own voices for chronic illness rep and it is seriously brilliant.

Not only is this story utterly adorable and will fulfil any need you have in your life for a cute and fluffy story...
But it's also authentic.

I didn't even know that was truly possible before this book.

Sick kids in love.
Sick kids being cute and adorable while being real and honest.
Sick kids taking ownership of their identity.
Sick kids being allowed to be sick kids and not
Maja  - BibliophiliaDK ✨
SERIOUS TOPIC BUT SURPRISINGLY - AND DELIGHTFULLY - LIGHT

Based solely on the title of this book, I was expecting something along the lines of The Fault in Our Stars. So when I set out to read it, I was actually expecting to be disappointed. I never like books that feel too much like I have read it before. However, I quickly realised that this was definitely not like TFiOS! I loved TFiOS as well, but this has the opposite feeling to it, it is light, humorous and optimistic. An easy 4 stars!

preoccupiedbybooks
An honest, real and adorable story of two teenagers with chronic illnesses falling in love.

Oh and they don't die in this one....(Not a spoiler)
description
This book was so adorable! Even though it dealt with heavy topics like chronic illness, dysfunctional families, betrayal and ablest friends, it wasn't depressing! It was actually really cute and uplifting, and I loved it!
description
The characters were so well written and developed. They felt real, had flaws and will be so relatable to young people suffering from
Katie  Hanna
Dec 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: contemporary
This was such an amazing, thought-provoking book, and I'm still unpacking all my feelings about it.

(Spoiler alert: they're 99.9% GOOD feelings.)

So basically . . . it's the story of a sick boy and a sick girl who meet at the hospital. Sasha has Gaucher disease and Isabel (Ibby) has rheumatoid arthritis. They form a bond. Become best friends. Fall in love. Also--they don't die at the end.

Which, until I read this book, I didn't realize what a huge, gaping hole there is in sick-kid representation
The Bookavid
this is a gr8 book and nobody dies
Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen)
MAIN CHARACTER WITH CHRONIC ILLNESS ! ! ! ! !

I need this plz
Shannon (It Starts At Midnight)
Also in love? Me. With this book.
Candace Robinson
I really liked the dialogue in this one and it had some cute moments. My husband has rheumatoid arthritis so it was hard for me to not compare that, though!
Storme
This book is absolutely amazing. Just like, it’s so good and everyone should read it. The audiobook is fantastic. I enjoyed it so much more because of the audio. This book just made my heart so happy.

Chronic illness needs to be talked about more. I don’t suffer from it, so I can’t speak of this personally. My partner does have RA though, and I’ve seen the pain and how difficult it can be to deal with so I do understand it as an observer.

Isabel writes a column for her school paper where she asks
Samantha (WLABB)
Rating: 4.5 Stars

Disclaimer: Both main characters in this book were sick, but they were not *that* kind of sick. They were chronically, but not terminally ill. So, to make a long story short, NOBODY DIES.

"Should Sick Girl date Sick Boy?" My answer was a resounding YES, and I was so happy Isabel took a chance on Sasha, because I adored watching them fall in love.

This book enchanted me. It cast a spell on me, and didn't let go, until the very end. So, how did I love thee? Let me list the ways:

Courtney
Aug 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I went into this book bracing myself for cliches or for it to be something similar to what I’ve read before. But I was thrilled to be mistaken. I loved this book. LOVED. IT. I’ve never had a character articulate what I had felt before as I had in this book. I cried several times while reading because this author GOT IT. I was diagnosed with lupus and rheumatoid arthritis when I was 14 years old after being misdiagnosed several times. I’ve had those friends who have unintentionally made ...more
rachel ☾
i'm not going to shut up about this book for a long, long time.

Review copy provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

BlogGoodreadsTwitterInstagram
CW (The Quiet Pond) ✨
Oh heck, this book is so good and sweet and so satisfying.
Take note: Disabled and chronically ill characters do not have to die for a book to be meaningful. Because in Sick Kids in Love, the characters are indeed sick and disabled, they do not die, and this book still packs an emotional punch.

- Follows Isabel, a Jewish teen with rheumatoid arthritis, who meets Sashia, a Jewish teen who Gaucher disease, and the two become friends and, later, fall in love.
- This was such a lovely and easy read.
Sophie Gabrielle
We're doing something a little different today with my review. NOW IT'S PERSONAL.
So hey. My name is Arika. I'm a chronically ill/disabled writer! I suffer from Hypermobility Syndrome, depression and anxiety. Thanks to this book, I can say that loud and proud.

I'm not being dramatic when I say this book has literally changed my life. I've spent ten years struggling with my illnesses. I've tried hiding them. I've tried to have a "normal life". I've tried to achieve my dreams despite it all. I
Bee
Aahhh my heart is just so full right now. This book is magic and beautiful and god it's everything I needed at this point in life. I cried lots.

Alright so. Sasha and Isabel are the actual cutest. They feel like real, flawed people who make mistakes and learn from them. Their romance was everything and I love this book so much.

Also, I felt so seen when I read this. So much of this book resonated with me. So much so it actually made me cry several times. I just... I can't even with this book.
Hristina
Sick Kids in Love is an adorable read.
The characters are amazing, and the relationship that develops between them is really fun and dynamic. I enjoyed the plot and how it all moved, it felt like there wasn't a single dull moment. I liked the writing, it felt airy, and it perfectly complimented the story.
This one is definitely one of the must-reads of the year. I recommend it.

*Copy received through NetGalley
*Rating: 5/5 stars
Kacey
Nov 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I finished this a while ago, and I’m still struggling with what I want to say. I could get really personal with this review, because of the amount of relatable circumstances I found in this book. I can’t find a definitive answer anywhere, but I assume the author has a chronic illness because of how painfully accurate this portrayal is.

I haven’t been on goodreads too much recently, because my illnesses are currently flaring, so now seems like a great time to talk about chronic illness, and the
Abi (The Knights Who Say Book)
I'll never never never write a good enough review of this, but that's true of all of Hannah Moskowitz's books, so we'll just have to deal with that.

This book just hit me at a time in my life when I really needed something that approaches dating and love and friendship like this. I would have loved Sasha and Isabel no matter when I read them, because they are incredibly lovable, but the way they talked about being loved is something that I needed so much right now. And then it adds in all the
Camryn
Dec 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this! People have listed it as a comp for my book and I’m thrilled and flattered. There’s so much to like about this book. I don’t feel like... I can really identify as sick because my invisible illness is asthma, but I spent a lot of time in and out of doctor’s offices when I was younger.

There was a part where Isabel describes how she wished she could be sick, used to pretend to be, because she wanted to be taken care of, and that reminded me a lot of my younger self.

Of
Aj
Sep 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A beautifully written story about what love means and finding your person, your home. We’re always told not to change for a boy (a girl, a person) but is that really and truly the case? Maybe love is transformative. Maybe we do change for a relationship to work. And maybe, just maybe, that’s not a bad thing. Love is... love is loving someone exactly how they are now and also holding the belief that they can be the best happiest version of themselves and supporting them in that growth. ...more
Rachel Solomon
Jun 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this.

Official blurb: "Romantic, refreshing, and brimming with empathy. Isabel and Sasha captured my heart."
Mickey Menzel
Nov 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Initially, this book was an uncanny experience for me. I have (Juvenile) Rheumatoid Arthritis -- in fact, I was the same age as Ibby when I was diagnosed. For a while, I felt like I was reading a narrative of my own life, and it was kind of weird. I quickly realized why: never in my life have I had the experience of reading about a character who is similar to me in this way. I have never encountered a fictional person, whether in tv/movies or books, who has RA. I have never read a book that ...more
Ahana M Rao (Heart’s Content)
You can find this review for Sick Kids in Love on my blog, Heart's Content!

Received an Advanced Reader’s Copy via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. Thank you!

Truthfully speaking, this book was a big big risk I was taking with myself. Simply because my own anxiety is knotted with health-related topics and there used to be a time I could never even read about a protagonist being sick or suffering in anyway. I would like to think I’ve survived through that and the only way to prove to
Genesis Sheli (Whispering Chapters)
When I read the title for this book, I was expecting something terrible to happen, like in TFIOS, but thankfully, that wasn't the case. The titles applies: it's just sick kids.

Isabel has RA (rheumatoid arthritis). And she thinks because of this, she shouldn't date (there're more reasons, but I don't want to spoil this for you). So when she meets Sasha, who has Gaucher disease, she states she won't date. At the same time, she loves that she finally has a friend who understands what it's like to
USOM
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
(Disclaimer: I received this book from the publisher. This has not impacted my review which is unbiased and honest.)

Sick Kids in Love is one of those books I devoured in one day. And I don't even have coherent words for how much I loved this book. Sick Kids in Love is full of heart, vulnerability, love, and soft boys. Sick Kids in Love is one of those books I instantly fell in love with. It's been on my radar ever since I read Salt by Moskowitz, so I already knew Moskowitz has a knack for
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Scars Like Wings
  • 10 Blind Dates
  • The Library of Lost Things
  • Glow of the Fireflies
Hannah Moskowitz wrote her first story, about a kitten named Lilly on the run from cat hunters, for a contest when she was seven years old. It was disqualified for violence. Her first book, BREAK, was on the ALA's 2010 list of Popular Paperbacks for Young Adults, and in 2013, GONE, GONE, GONE received a Stonewall Honor. 2015's NOT OTHERWISE SPECIFIED was named the YA Bisexual Book of the Year. ...more
“You know what will be fun?"
"What?"
"When we can stop pretending that we're interesting people who go out and do things and instead we can hang out and just do nothing."
It's incredible to hear those words out of someone's mouth besides mine. Not that I've ever said them, actually. Who would I say them to?
"That sounds amazing," I say.”
2 likes
“I think it was like..." She paints a stripe of nail polish. "We didn't want you to feel like you were less capable."
"And I appreciate that, but I don't actually need to feel more capable. I need to feel like it's okay to not be more capable.”
2 likes