Start by marking “The Fever King (Feverwake, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Fever King (Feverwake, #1)

The Fever King

(Feverwake #1)

4.87  ·  Rating details ·  46 Ratings  ·  38 Reviews
In the former United States, sixteen-year-old Noam Álvaro wakes up in a hospital bed, the sole survivor of the viral magic that killed his family and made him a technopath. His ability to control technology attracts the attention of the minister of defense and thrusts him into the magical elite of the nation of Carolinia.

The son of undocumented immigrants, Noam has spent h
Expected publication: March 1st 2019 by Skyscape

To ask other readers questions about The Fever King, please sign up.
Victoria Lee I really wanted to write about the intersection of intergenerational trauma and personal trauma. As a Jew, I understand intergenerational trauma…moreI really wanted to write about the intersection of intergenerational trauma and personal trauma. As a Jew, I understand intergenerational trauma intimately--and as a survivor, I understand the other kind of trauma as well. I wanted to write about characters struggling with feeling like outsiders in their own countries of birth, with the legacy of genocide, and with surviving ongoing violence and trauma.(less)

⚔ Silvia ⚓
Me: h-
Victoria Lee, probably: I'll make sure you never know happiness again

THAT HURTED but like in a good way

RTC!!

____
The author just confirmed that everyone in the book is going to be queer. I also have two functioning kidneys I'd be willing to trade for an ARC,

I've...........got an ARC. Holy shit. *cries in bisexual*

description
Victoria Lee
Apr 26, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
This world and these characters have lived inside my head for years, and I'm so excited to have the chance to share them with you. When I think back on the past few years, it feels like my life has been defined by writing this story:

In Iowa City, these characters were still just flickering snippets of ideas, voices that emerged on my late-night runs on the trail between the cornfields. Then, living in Stockholm, I remember taking the t-bana in to work and pressing my brow against the chilly wind
Elise (TheBookishActress)
Apr 19, 2018 marked it as releases-2019
there are antiheroes and gay shit in this
Emily Martin
Apr 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to read an early version of this book and guys. I LOVE IT WITH MY WHOLE HEART. Like…where do I even begin? I don’t think I’ve ever been more obsessed with a cast characters. I adore ALL OF THEM—including the ones I probably shouldn’t. (But most especially Dara, my cinnamon roll darling. You’ll understand when you meet him.) And then there’s Noam! How I love his wry humor and his questionable moral compass.

Lee has created something so special here. THE FEVER KING is both timel
June Tan
Apr 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I'll write a real review at some point, but right now I'm just too emotional so asljdashasjdhasodha!!!!! THIS BOOK, ya'll. The storytelling is brilliant and emotive, the characters are fully formed, and they STAY WITH YOU. Ah, the magic system - it's freaking smart and unique. I love this book so much. Will write a proper review when I'm more coherent!
Grace Li
Shelves: yes
This book will cut you open in the best way. Victoria's characters are brilliant, magnetic, and endlessly complex, and her world is so meticulously crafted that for weeks after you won't stop thinking about this post-war, magic-ravaged Durham.

Also, I could write an essay about Dara Shirazi alone.

(Essay probably to come.)
Becca Mix
Apr 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I LOVE THIS BOOK SO MUCH! THE FEVER KING is a gorgeously written, absolutely devastating book with a world that will make your eyeballs spin. It’s terrifying and dark and exhilarating. I feel so lucky I got to read it early and I cannot wait for the world to fall in love with this book.
Andrea Tang
Oct 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Fever King is a gritty stunner of a novel that succeeds along a series of storytelling benchmarks that are are remarkably difficult to measure up to, but when matched, produce those rare books that slip under your skin and linger inside the broken-down wreckage of your heart long after you’ve finished reading. The setting of The Fever King may rest on underpinnings of fantasy (and more specifically, science fantasy!), but the pull-no-punches realism of its world mirrors the complexity of our ...more
Benjamin
Oct 06, 2018 marked it as to-read
FUCK COLLEGE, FUCK EVERYTHING, this is exactly what I need.
Hannah F. Whitten
Apr 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely brilliant. The voice is impeccable, the characters flawed and unforgettable, and the worldbuilding is seamless. Incredibly enjoyable, and incredibly important. Super excited to watch Victoria’s career unfold!
Luke Hupton-MacGregor
Apr 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I read an earlier draft of Victoria’s stunning debut, and can’t wait to pre-order the final version. Not only is her world building beautifully realized, her characterization in a story that twists and turns and manipulates you as a reader is a magic within itself. As a queer man, it was so satisfying to read authentic representation. Do yourself a favour add this to your list. You’ll only catch the fever, anyway!
Lily ☁️
I jumped through what feels like a million hoops to get this book early, stayed up until 2 a.m. to read it, and had my soul crushed … and I can genuinely say that it all paid off.

Blog | Bloglovin’ | Instagram | TumblrTwitter
Marina
Apr 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I first read this book half a year ago and I legit have not stopped thinking about it since. Trust me. Read The Fever King and it will infect your mind like a magical virus, burrowing in and taking root, until you’re walking around accosting everything to try and induct them into your fangirl cult, just so you have more people to yell with about this thrilling, brilliant novel.

I like books that explore the ugly parts of life. I like books that show me the dark underbelly of being human, reveal
Rosaria Munda
Jul 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Ever wonder what the world would look like if Magneto had Xavier's power and took over in a violent revolution? If the borders were rewritten so that refugees being denied asylum came from the American South rather than south of the US border? These are the premises at the base of Lee's incredibly complex world, and if that gets you thinking, her characters--brave, flawed, and heartbreaking, described in a beautiful gritty prose with not a word out of place--get you feeling. This is not a book w ...more
Carlie Sorosiak
Apr 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
THIS BOOK IS PERFECTION!!!!!! YOU MUST READ IT!!!! YOU MUST!!
Sierra
Apr 19, 2018 marked it as to-read
*screams in proud gay*
Jade
May 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-tbr, favorites
I had the privilege of reading an early version of this and it was perfection in all its forms.

I can't wait to have this on my shelf!!
Shannon Price
Oct 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: novel-19s
Wow oh wow do I have a lot of feelings about this book—THE FEVER KING is SO GOOD. Intelligent, fresh world-building plus a magic system that worked seamlessly with the setting. There are so many emotional twists in this story, and an ending that was somehow both a cliffhanger and wholly satisfying to read. Lucky as I am to have received an early copy, I *almost* wish I didn't because now I have to wait even longer to find out what happens next!

Oh, and characters? There's lot of them to love, eac
rachel
Apr 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is so freaking good. If you loved X-Men First Class and Victoria Schwab's Vicious, you will dig THE FEVER KING. I can't wait to read the final copy (as I read an early version)
Ashleigh | Wild Heart Reads
MY HEART.

The Fever King follows Noam Álvaro, in the aftermath of a viral magic outbreak that left him the only survivor. When he wakes up he is a witchling, a part of Carolinia's magical elite and is brushing shoulders with people that he and his family have spent their whole lives fighting against.

It's there Noam meets Lehrer, the enigmatic Minister of Defense and one time king and Lehrer's son, Dara. Though Noam sets out to use his insider knowledge to bring down Chancellor Sacha's government
Christine
Jun 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
you're. not. ready.
Kosoko Jackson
Oct 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A beautifully crafted speculative story that'll keep on you on edge of your seats, and lusting after books with equal prose--which will be hard to find. Victoria's debut is a stellar one, and proves she's a force to be reckoned with, and only going up from here. A must read, y'all.
Kelly Powell
Apr 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to read this book early and it's now one of my absolute favourites! It's been a few days since I finished and my heart is still aching. Noam and Dara are some of the most genuine characters I've ever read — get ready to love them with your entire being. This story is exceptional in so many ways. It's a master class in narration, pacing, worldbuilding. The magic system is so finely crafted and so entrenched in the dark and futuristic world Victoria has built. I can't wait for t ...more
Maria Dong
Oct 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG

This book was SO good that it BROKE me. It reads lightning-fast and just sizzles with fucking fantastic, evocative, succinct, blade-sharp prose. It is so real and in your face and relevant and heartbreaking and I just finished it, and I CANNOT even breathe right now.

By halfway through, you can tell from the shape of the arc that there is GOING to be a betrayal, but it's so murky, and everyone is going after their own goals. I am at this place where I have read and analyze
Camille
Oct 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
October 13th 2018:

HOLY SHIT SHIT THIS BOOK IS A MASTERPIECE OF A DEBUT. Full review coming soon but for now just know that this book contains all sorts of amazingness including:
-LGBT representation
-Jewish #ownvoices
-political intrigue
-a super cool magic system
-boys who seem written to give you WAY to many feels
-steamy romance
-a dark and delicious plot

The Fever King is truly not a book to miss. CHECK IT OUT MARCH 1ST 2019!

Update with full review November 10th 2018:
*I received a copy of this book
Grace
Oct 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book delivers.

As I was reading, I was worrying that Lee was biting off more than she could chew - the story was so political, with so many moving parts. How could she tie up this arc satisfactorily in only one novel?

I shouldn’t have doubted her for a second.

Lee has done something special with this book. You’ll be sucked into Noam’s world - a world swirling with many of the same prejudices, fears, and violence as the Holocaust. It’s intense, it’s emotional, and it will absolutely make you c
Sabrina Fox
Oct 22, 2018 rated it liked it
I was so lucky to have gotten the chance to read this book so early! Although I didn't really get invested into the characters until the last end of the book, I know I'll have to tun into the next book to see exactly what happens. It doesn't end in a big cliff-hanger, but it does leave you holding up grabby hands for more.

A few of the things that stood out to me was the world-building, the amount of gayness, and my love for Noam and Dara. As I said above, it took me awhile to connect with them,
Heather
Nov 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
THE FEVER KING was a force, both timely and dark, and explored and exposed Victoria Lee’s complex characters as well as a dire political climate steeped in prejudice and injustice. Threaded throughout the story was a science-based magic system that set the tone for the story, making it somehow sharper, more realistic—and all the more intriguing. And in Noam (the main character), Lee crafted a strong voice, someone filled with the ache and anger of loss, determined to right wrongs, to build relat ...more
Joe Crowe
Nov 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
In this book, magic is a virus that infects the U.S., and survivors of the virus can use magic. That's just science, people.

That's a much more impressive way of introducing a world that has magic in it than an owl flying into a kid's room. (Not that I have anything at all against owls. Owls are wonderful.)

The book also addresses modern-day political and cultural stuff, as Noam, the hero, is bi and biracial, and the child of undocumented immigrants. Author Victoria Lee digs deep into real, emoti
Naomi Milliner
Oct 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow! This was one intense, exciting, intriguing book! Could barely put it down (but had to, so I could catch my breath). Just when you think you know what's going on, and which character you can trust, Lee spins it around and keeps you guessing. It's dark but fun, and very thought-provoking. So excited there's a sequel in the works to look forward to, and so glad for the chance to spend more time with these characters. So hurry up and get that sequel out into the world, Victoria!
Victoria Lee grew up in Durham, North Carolina, where she spent twelve ascetic years as a vegetarian before discovering spicy chicken wings are, in fact, a delicacy. She’s been a state finalist competitive pianist, a hitchhiker, a pizza connoisseur, an EMT, an expat in China and Sweden, and a science doctoral student. She’s also a bit of a snob about fancy whisky.

Victoria writes early in the morni

Feverwake (2 books)
  • Untitled (Feverwake, #2)