Start by marking “The Fever King (Feverwake, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Fever King (Feverwake, #1)

The Fever King

(Feverwake #1)

In the former United States, sixteen-year-old Noam Álvaro wakes up in a hospital bed, the sole survivor of the viral magic that killed his family and made him a technopath. His ability to control technology attracts the attention of the minister of defense and thrusts him into the magical elite of the nation of Carolinia.

The son of undocumented immigrants, Noam has spent h
Published March 1st 2019 by Skyscape

To ask other readers questions about The Fever King, please sign up.
Victoria Lee I really wanted to write about the intersection of intergenerational trauma and personal trauma. As a Jew, I understand intergenerational trauma…moreI really wanted to write about the intersection of intergenerational trauma and personal trauma. As a Jew, I understand intergenerational trauma intimately--and as a survivor, I understand the other kind of trauma as well. I wanted to write about characters struggling with feeling like outsiders in their own countries of birth, with the legacy of genocide, and with surviving ongoing violence and trauma.(less)
Rachel There are abusive relationships in the narrative, but they are not romantic per se. Abuse is characterized as such and not romanticized at all.…moreThere are abusive relationships in the narrative, but they are not romantic per se. Abuse is characterized as such and not romanticized at all. There's a little bit of "Oooh this character is DARK and MYSTERIOUS so obviously SEXY" but it isn't egregious and fits the story arc. I'd say this book is ABOUT trauma, both personal and generational, and as such the author is careful not to romanticize pain. (less)

شيماء ✨
🌟 FULL REVIEW NOW POSTED HERE ON MY BLOG! 🌟

Me: *picks up a book with very high expectations and ends up disappointed*

My brain: *slamming fists on table* REGRET REGRET REGRET REGRET REGRET REGRET REGR
may ➹
The thing about The Fever King is that it’s about so many different things that it’s just truly indescribable.

It’s about a virus that has taken so many innocent lives, yet has become a magical blessing for those who survive it. It’s about moral ambiguity and deciding what’s right and wrong for you but also for everyone else. It’s about identity, and trauma, and finding your place in a world that is always changing.

It’s about a boy named Noam, and a boy named Dara, and what they must do to keep l
Lily ☁️
My full review is now up on my blog!

There’s something about books that make you avoid any and all real life responsibilities, stay up until 2 a.m., bleary-eyed and exhausted, and leave you with your soul crushed beyond recognition—and have you loving every single second of it. Something that leaves a distinctly enunciated yes in its wake that reverberates warmly in your heart with its perfect, almost poetic diction, and its all-consuming intensity.

And that special something has ensconced its
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
2.5 stars. Review first posted on Fantasy Literature:

It’s the 22nd century, and North America is divided into several different countries in the aftermath of a worldwide disaster. A plague that first hit back in the early part of the 21st century killed ― and continues to kill ― almost every person who get infected with the virus. Those few who survive become “witchings,” developing a variety of magical powers as a result of the virus’s presence in their body.

Noam Álvaro is a bisexual teenage r
Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥
I had no idea that I need this book in my life until I stumbled upon the synopsis.
Dang! That sounds so intriguing!
My gay romance radar went on autopilot and my inner queer faerie is slaphappy! *lol*
Guess that's what you call a win-win situation. XD
Jamie Finch
Feb 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’m not going to lie, the only reason I decided to pick this book up was for the m/m rep, which did not disappoint (prepare for a lot of angst). I honestly didn’t know much else about it or what to expect, so I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed it.

This book was incredibly diverse and the bisexual representation in particular, made me ridiculously happy.

“I meant it when I said I wasn’t gay” Noam said.
Ames looked disbelieving , but she didn’t pull away.
Noam smirked. “ Bisexual isn’t
⚔ Silvia ⚓
I was sent this book as an advanced copy by the author for reviewing purposes, but all opinions are my own.

Me: h-
Victoria Lee, probably: I'll make sure you never know happiness again

THAT HURTED but like in a good way.

It’s hard to say in a sentence what The Fever King is about.

You could say it’s about Noam, a Jewish Latino bisexual teen who survives the magic virus that kills most of the population and leaves him a witching, status which grants him a spot among the people he and his family ha
Malanie
Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: ppl who love The Foxhole Court, but also science
Recommended to Malanie by: Lily ☁️
arc sent by the publisher in exchange for an honest review

I was nervous about this one!!!!!!!. I don’t usually get into SF-F books???????? (which is a part of my personality we’re working on this year, pls contribute to the cause with your recs)

But I appreciated the hell out of this book. IT WAS SO CHARACTER-DRIVEN???? But at the same time, we’re given science! and betrayal! AND TRUE LOVE FOR THE GAYS! This was an excellent novel.

What is this book about?
Noam (a gorgeous bisexual high school d
Elise (TheBookishActress)
Apr 19, 2018 marked it as releases-2019
there are antiheroes and gay shit in this
Acqua
Mar 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Was this completely predictable? Yes.
Did I care? Not even a little, and that should tell you something about how well-written these characters are.

The Fever King is the first book in a futuristic sci-fantasy series set in what is left of the once-United States. It follows a main character who is bisexual, Jewish and Colombian and it features a main m/m romance. It's a story that talks about a lot of interesting themes, and I'm going to get to that in this review, but first I want to talk about w
- ̗̀  jess  ̖́-
“It's all random chance. The universe. Us. An infinite cascade of chaos. A series of impossible accidents is the only reason we even exist.”

The Fever King absolutely blew me away. Here's something I don't say often, but even though the premise didn't get me too excited, the execution was incredible. I thought I was tired of dystopian books, but The Fever King proved that new twists can be put onto a genre that's been trod into the ground. It's a book that's poignant in this day and age, explorin
Vicky Who Reads
Nov 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
5 stars

THIS BOOK, Y’ALL.

I love it so much? It was tightly written and wonderfully set up and I love the characters and am SO DEAD at the ending.

Whew! I could scream about this book all day, honestly.

In short, if you get anything from this review, it’s that you should READ THE FEVER KING. GO.

The lovable characters + ships.

Honestly, Victoria Lee is a master at creating characters I love and feel intensely attached to.

It’s one thing to write characters that are real or interesting, but it’s a c
Tucker (TuckerTheReader)
Let me preface this mini review by saying I have talked to the author and she seems really nice. I have nothing against her. That said, I unfortunately did not enjoy this as much as I hoped I would. I was expecting a lot of sci-fi (which there was but not as much as I was expecting.) I had trouble staying focused on the story. (But that's mostly because I had some personal things going on while I was reading this.) All in all, I loved the writing style. The story intrigued me at first but slowly ...more
Scarlett Readz and Runz....Through Novel Time & Distance
4.25

The Fever King is a diverse and gripping sci-fi thriller of suspense. The fast-paced political intrigue between the two major factions in a post US apocalyptic world and the main protagonist tangled up in it all had me glued to the pages.

The former US has been befallen with a virus that destroyed most of the population and left two major metropoles. Atlantia in the southeast, a nuclear wasteland comprised of refugee camps, a place where all the sick people were dumped into; and Carolinia, t
☙ percy ❧
Feb 02, 2019 marked it as ebooks-tbr
YO one of my most anticipated books goes on the amazon first reads selection??? it's motherfuckin christmas
Natasha Ngan
Nov 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My kind of sci-fi: sharp, smart and political, with something important to say about our own world. Lee offers a fresh twist on magic that makes THE FEVER KING feel totally new and unique. I was absorbed in Noam's world from the first page - and was dreading leaving it by the last.

Also: DARA FOREVERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
Namera [The Literary Invertebrate]
ARC received in exchange for an honest review – thank you!

The first 65% of this book was so boring I was deeply concerned I’d have to DNF it. And then – incredibly – the plot went from plodding along to flat-out sprinting. Honestly, I nearly got whiplash from the sudden change of pace.

But! It’s that change of pace which definitely saved this book from utter tedium.

In this futuristic world, the US has been split into two countries – Carolinia, the north, and Atlantia, the south. The two sides h
Benjamin
Oct 06, 2018 is currently reading it
I'm making this happen.
.............................................................................................................
FUCK COLLEGE, FUCK EVERYTHING, this is exactly what I need.
Kal ★ Reader Voracious
“I would rather die than do nothing.”
Friends, there are some books that just suck you into their pages from the start and stay with you after you finish. The Fever King is one of those rare books. I was captivated from the first page and filled every spare moment I had with reading this amazing debut novel. For two days I started and ended my day reading The Fever King, and actually went to work an hour later than normal so I could finish the book yesterday. (and I absolutely hate h
Serena
This is why I DON'T read uncompleted series because after I finish the first book, which of course ends on a HUGE cliffhanger, I can't ever grab the second book immediately and find out what happens next so I end up biting my nails all year while waiting for the next book and by the time the second book comes up my poor nails are GONE.

Am I being slightly melodramatic? Yes. Maybe. But after that ending I am a certifiable mess so I feel fully entitled to cry into the void right now.

rin
so... am i allowed to sue victoria lee for emotional distress?

i have literally no idea how to review books that i loved so i'll just scream a little and call it a day
HEY SO I REALLY REALLY LOVED THIS OKAY

overall it's like xmen or maybe vicious with a dash of gay and revolution and dealing with trauma and fighting for refugee rights. and its very well written and im ashamed to admit that i apparently lived under the rock because i haven't heard of this book until like a week ago even though some
♡ Dakota ♡ (Sarcasm is my middle name)
Gay and fantasy. What more could I ask for?
Emily Martin
Apr 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to read an early version of this book and guys. I LOVE IT WITH MY WHOLE HEART. Like…where do I even begin? I don’t think I’ve ever been more obsessed with a cast characters. I adore ALL OF THEM—including the ones I probably shouldn’t. (But most especially Dara, my cinnamon roll darling. You’ll understand when you meet him.) And then there’s Noam! How I love his wry humor and his questionable moral compass.

Lee has created something so special here. THE FEVER KING is both timel
Molly
Feb 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
First off I would like the thank amazon publishing for sending me an advanced reader copy of The Fever King by Victoria Lee in exchange of a review.

I really enjoyed reading this! Lee perfectly balanced the science and magic of her world with the coming of age themes that are apparent in our own politics.

Characters
Characters are everything for me! I loved Noam. He was sweet, but had an undercurrent of thoughts that the average character doesn’t. He wasn’t always the good guy in the story. I real
Set in a distant future after a worldwide plague wiped out a large chunk of the population and you'll find America has split into several different countries. Noam is an undocumented immigrant living in Carolinia who spends his time fighting against the government to try and get better rights for refugees. With regular outbreaks of the magical plague outside the boarders Carolinia is determined to keep people out and conditions in the refugee camps are just getting worse and worse. When the plag ...more
June Tan
Apr 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I'll write a real review at some point, but right now I'm just too emotional so asljdashasjdhasodha!!!!! THIS BOOK, ya'll. The storytelling is brilliant and emotive, the characters are fully formed, and they STAY WITH YOU. Ah, the magic system - it's freaking smart and unique. I love this book so much. Will write a proper review when I'm more coherent!
TL
Mar 20, 2019 rated it liked it
This is just gonna be random thoughts scattered instead 0f a proper review.. bear with me.

Wish world building was less vague.. was confused in the beginning..not enough to put me off but would have made it easier to sink into the story... the powers have a vague Xmen ish feel to em but not much action with training for much of the story. The science behind developing different powers is very fascinating and wish more time had been devoted to that as well.

Noam and Dara's connection is well done b
Kyle
Feb 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A better-than-average YA read.

I was not impressed, nor necessarily intrigued with how things came together at the end. For one thing, I guessed (view spoiler), so I wasn’t surprised in the least. I could appreciate, however, how Noam constantly questioned the motivations of others. It’s too frequent in literature, I find, where the characters don’t ask/question what the reader is already thinking/knows, even w
✩ Ashley ✩
Feb 01, 2019 marked it as to-read
🎉PSA!!! Amazon First Reads actually has a YA book available for February!!!! 📣

(Also, it’s The Fever King by Victoria Lee, so don’t mind me while I FREAK OUT!!!! 😆)

Get it here: amzn.to/2UBn3lE
Author Victoria Lee has been a competitive pianist, an expat in China and Sweden, and a science doctoral student. Her novel The Fever King is the first book in her Feverwake series. She currently lives in Pennsylvania with her partner.
  • Tarnished Are the Stars
  • Shatter the Sky (Shatter the Sky, #1)
  • Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1)
  • The Last 8 (The Last 8, #1)
  • Kingdom of Souls
  • The Light at the Bottom of the World
  • The Devouring Gray
  • A Place For Wolves
  • A River of Royal Blood (A River of Royal Blood #1)
  • Keep This to Yourself
  • All of Us with Wings
  • The Merciful Crow (The Merciful Crow, #1)
  • The Wise and the Wicked
  • Earth to Charlie
  • Stronger Than a Bronze Dragon
  • Hot Dog Girl
  • The Perfect Assassin (The Chronicles of Ghadid, #1)
  • The Hanged Man (The Tarot Sequence, #2)
Victoria Lee grew up in Durham, North Carolina, where she spent twelve ascetic years as a vegetarian before discovering spicy chicken wings are, in fact, a delicacy. She’s been a state finalist competitive pianist, a hitchhiker, a pizza connoisseur, an EMT, an expat in China and Sweden, and a science doctoral student. She’s also a bit of a snob about fancy whisky.

Victoria writes early in the morni