Start by marking “The Joneses and the Pirateers: Search for the Phantom Lady” as Want to Read:
The Joneses and the Pirateers: Search for the Phantom Lady

The Joneses and the Pirateers: Search for the Phantom Lady

Nine-year-old James has always longed for swashbuckling sword fights and daring adventures. But those are hard to find in the seaside town of Grimsby, where James and his sisters are not even allowed to dip their toes in the ocean. That is, until their father, Dr Jones, receives a royal commission to travel to Barbados. But James, Elizabeth, and Emily get more adventure th ...more
ebook
Published April 18th 2018 by MoshPit Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Joneses and the Pirateers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Joneses and the Pirateers

Start your review of The Joneses and the Pirateers: Search for the Phantom Lady
Lily
May 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book far exceeded my expectations as I'm not usually one for pirate stories but I truly could not stop reading it. The book was beautifully written and it was easy to find yourself lost in the exciting story, and the highs and lows of Elizabeth, Emily, and James. It was interesting to read about the lives of pirate children (a relatively unexplored concept) and I wish that this book had been around when I was younger as I know I would have loved the idea (as I do now) of the kids attending ...more
Tiffany jenart
Sep 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Lisa Harrington
Jul 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book, as it is filled with thrill, action, fantasy not to mention humour.These characteristics pull you into the book , and make you want to turn to the next page.This story is about three sensible children who tragically lose their father to a ruthless, scary pirate. The children then set off a daring mission to find him.They encounter many dangerous adventures, including joining a crew of pirateers,facing terrifying sharks, and having fights with blood thirsty pirates in ...more
Malissa Poolman
Jan 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I wouldn't usually choose a pirate story but I love this book about three siblings who escape boredom and travel to the magical island of Tortuga. They have many suspense-filled adventures, as they must secretly make money by washing breeches and other chores to save their Papa. He was captured by cut-throat pirates aboard the Phantom Lady and this creates lots of twists and turns, gross and LOL moments.

It's great for adventure and Harry Potter lovers.

I can't wait for the next one.

Ella 11
I Read, Therefore I Blog
S. L. Westgate’s debut historical fantasy novel for children aged 9+ (the first in a trilogy) shows a lot of research on historical pirates, includes a lot of action and has some nice ideas with the magical pirate school but there’s an awful lot going on here and it affects the pacing (which is very uneven in places) while also cramming in a lot of characters (some of which lost track of) such that I’m not sure I would rush to read on.
Angelcookies
May 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a great, action-packed book. It follows the story of James and his sisters Emily and Elizabeth who embark on the journey of a lifetime, when an evil pirate whisks their father away. The children have to work together with a band of young pirateers to rescue their father from the clutches of evil Captain Silverbeard. This book is exciting, adventurous and full of humour. Suitable for ages 7-13.
Andrew Parker
Jul 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book, it's a great story of a group of children trying to find their father with a whole lot of swashbuckling along the way. The story reveals a lot of hints about how ther series will turn out and I can't wait to read the rest of the series. The second half of the book I couldn't put down, a great captivating read. I'll be reading it to my two daughters when they are a bit older (currently 2 and 5). Hurry up and finish the rest of the series!!!!
Olivia Fine
Feb 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I was gifted this book by the author to review and five minutes in I was hooked! I really liked the characters and it was really easy to visualise the setting, almost like you where actually there! The whole way through I was thinking, wow this could be a cool movie! Five stars!

Olivia Fine
Year 6
Natasha Galea
Nov 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My eight year old daughter says: The best pirate adventure you can read. It's great that all the heros are kids. It's funny because they speak in pirate accents. It keeps you in suspense the whole way, you don't know what's going to happen until the very end. At the end of each chapter, I wanted to keep reading the next one. Looking forward to the next book.
Rosalind Thomas
Nov 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My daughter Juno (8), loved this detailed depiction of pirate adventures - her favourite element, she says, was that there were "good pirates AND bad pirates". Translation: this is a nuanced and sophisticated story that appeals to readers starting to see through the formula of many novels aimed at a tween audience. Great start to the series.

Rochelle Nicks
Jul 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My 9 year old daughter just read this book and loved it. She loved the 'pirate language' and story and said it gave her lots of seed ideas for her writing. She couldn't put it down and read over a week or so.

Xavier
Nov 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The book was amazing and unpredictable. I can't wait for book 2 to come out!
Zoe Allebone
Jun 17, 2018
Luke Chapman
May 17, 2018
Suzanne Westgate
May 22, 2018 is currently reading it  ·  (Review from the author)
Suzanne Westgate is a mother and lawyer who never let go of her inner pirate. She grew up in a small harbourside town, often kayaking to shelly islands after school. In her early twenties, Suzanne backpacked through South America and Asia, and her adventures—sailing, caving, mountaineering, surfing, diving in the Caribbean with a crew of prisoners on parole, abseiling, skiing down a live volcano ( ...more

News & Interviews