Start by marking “An Easy Death (Gunnie Rose #1)” as Want to Read:
An Easy Death (Gunnie Rose #1)

An Easy Death

(Gunnie Rose #1)

The beloved #1 New York Times bestselling author of the Sookie Stackhouse series, the inspiration for HBO’s True Blood, and the Midnight Crossroad trilogy adapted for NBC’s Midnight, Texas, has written a taut new thriller—the first in the Gunnie Rose series—centered on a young gunslinging mercenary, Lizbeth Rose.

Set in a fractured United States, in the southwestern country
Published October 2nd 2018 by Little, Brown Book Group

To ask other readers questions about An Easy Death, please sign up.
Alice Librarians, booksellers, bloggers and others get advance reading copies of some books. Too often, the 1-star reviews are from trolls who rate a book…moreLibrarians, booksellers, bloggers and others get advance reading copies of some books. Too often, the 1-star reviews are from trolls who rate a book before review copies are even available.(less)
John
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Soooo I got this from the library but I’m definitely buying this when the HB price goes down!!

There are mixed reviews on this book as there are on any book! My take? I FREAKING LOVED IT! This book is on my favorites list now!!

There are a few shocking things in the book but overall it was awesome!!

Trigger warning for a rape you can skim over

Happy Reading!!

Mel 🖤🐶🐺🐾
Tracett
Jun 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hooray! If, like me, you loved roughly 1/2 of the Sookie books (the beginning 1/2) but found the rest sort of meh (but still kept on reading) you will like An Easy Death. Same for the rest of her series, love some and are annoyed by the others (but still kept on reading). An Easy Death had me putting off chores so I could spend all my time with my new gunslinging girlfriend, Lizbeth. Oh boy, oh boy, I'm surely looking forward to this kick-ass series and its alternate history line.
Carrie
Oct 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: edelweiss
An Easy Death by Charlaine Harris is the first book in her new Gunnie Rose series. I had a whole internal debate on what to even classify this series, sort of a historical western fantasy I suppose. Characters in here can wield magic and it does take place in an alternate version of our world in the past in the days of gunslingers.

Lizbeth Rose is a gunslinger is an obviously man’s world making her work that much harder to succeed at her chosen job. When out with her crew making a run protecting
Miki
Oct 05, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Sh3lly
I might get this from the library and try it. I like alternate histories - plus magic.

But... still not over Sookie. :P
Jane
April 21/19 -- This is the Audible daily deal today for anyone who was thinking about this one!

Oh my stars, yes! Move over, Sookie Stackhouse, and take a seat, Angel Crawford! There's a new snarky southern chick in town and she's jumped right to the top of my supernatural fun list! This is not a deep read, but goodness, did I enjoy it!

description

In An Easy Death we follow Lisbeth "Gunnie" Rose who lives in an alternate timeline where (when?) the US became fractured with the assassination of Roosevelt. Wit
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
Look what just landed on my doorstep! Looks very interesting - the only question is how and when to fit it into my already overstuffed reading schedule.
Mel (Epic Reading)
Just as the cover implies, An Easy Death is a cowboy shoot 'em up style book. In the classic comedic style of Charlaine Harris we are introduced to our bad-ass heroine who doesn't like anyone meddling in her affairs and has kept her hand on her gun mos of her life just to survive.

Characters
Something Harris is a master at creating are characters. Her original series 'True Blood' characters are unforgettable and as such so are the ones in An Easy Death. Not only is our lead gal likable, she has m
Suzanne
Jan 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
🤠⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐🤠

What a fun book! I usually don’t like western gunslinger themed books but I absolutely loved this one! Lizbeth (Gunnie) is an awesome character that you easily like to read about rather quickly. In a torn and divided USA, Gunnie ends up being hired by two wizards (which she is not fond of because of something in the past...no spoilers from me!) and it is at this point that the story really picks up. At this point, I could not put this book down and I ended up finishing it in one sitting.
Greg at 2 Book Lovers Reviews
It pains me to write this review, almost as much as it pained me to finish this book. I’ve always enjoyed Charlaine Harris’ writing: the Sookie Stackhouse/True Blood series, Harper Connelly, Midnight, Texas. When I saw that Harris had a brand-new, what I would call, dystopian/fantasy, I was all in.

An Easy Death simply did not meet my expectations. I’ve always loved the way that Harris could make me laugh out loud through a unique dark story. While Lizbeth Rose had a constant stream of sarcasm fl
Mogsy (MMOGC)
4.5 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2018/11/15/...

Before An Easy Death, my past experience with Charlaine Harris’s work pretty much began and ended with the first Sookie Stackhouse book, and it was swiftly determined that southern vampires just weren’t for me. Afterward, I wasn’t so sure about trying another one of her series, but then I heard about Gunnie Rose. Maybe it was the weird western vibes or the idea of a modern gunslinging urban fantasy set in a post-collapse
Emma
I didn't get on with Harris' Sookie Stackhouse series. Never the less when I read about this book before it was published, I was excited. I do love a weird western. And I absolutely loved this. Can't wait for the next one.
Lorraine Southern
Meh.
I'm a huge Harris fan, have enjoyed all her other series, so I really hate to say this ... but, Gunnie Rose? Meh. That is all. Just, meh :(
Justine

This was pretty good, but I didn't love it like I expected to. I like Charlaine Harris and I like Western themed fantasy, so I thought this would be an easy win for me. I listened to the audiobook, and while the narrator did a good job, I don't think this was the right format for me in this case. Most of my audiobook listening is done in fairly short segments, and I had a hard time keeping the flow of the story listening to it like this.

That said, I did think the overall story and the w
Yodamom
Well that was really a fun read. Ms. Harris has hit the money spot with this series. Strong action packed, characters, magical extras and suspense with only a semi touch of romance. I really enjoyed this and want more asap.
Marianne
Nov 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An Easy Death is the first book in the Gunnie Rose series by popular American author, Charlaine Harris. It’s not what her mother, Candle wanted, but nineteen-year-old Lizbeth Rose is a gunnie with the Tarken Crew. They have a good reputation for safely transporting newly landless ranchers from Mexico through Texoma to New America. Gunnies are needed because bandit attacks are common.

When such an attack sees Gunnie Rose without her crew, she’s sought out by a pair of grigoris from the Holy Russi
The Captain
Apr 15, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abandon-ship
Yeah when the love interest waited for the protagonist to get old enough to have sex it creeps me out. And I couldn't get into the writing. Not for me. Arrrr!
Linda
Oct 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Strong start to a new series.

I’ve read and enjoyed most of Charlaine Harris’s books, and even if I was disappointed in how she ended her Sookie Stackhouse series, I was curious to try this new one. Harris already has demonstrated that she writes in a variety and mix of genres, and this new Gunnie Rose series is quite different from all her others.

The story takes place in an alternate history, in approximately the 1930’s after the US was devastated by assassination, flu, and civil war, with the f
Lisa
Nov 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-release, fantasy
Review from Tenacious Reader: http://www.tenaciousreader.com/2018/1...

I found An Easy Death to be very easy to get in to. I immediately enjoyed getting to know Lizbeth. She is fiercely independent , speaks her mind and is quite the shot. Really, there’s not much not to like.

Lizbeth, also known as Gunnie Rose, is part of a crew of “gunnies”, which are are pretty much hired protection, people skilled with handling bandits that might try to prey on their customers as they travel. Because this world
Kyra Leseberg (Roots & Reads)
Charlaine Harris has a way of sucking me in to her books.  It isn't exceptional writing or story lines, in fact I do a lot of eye rolling usually, it's more about cozy entertainment with strong ordinary female protagonists.

When I saw this new release is the beginning of yet another series, I was like, *sigh* "Another series?  Another series?" *clicks "Place Hold" on library account.
I seriously don't know where this compulsive need for yet another Charlaine Harris series on my TBR comes from but
Yasmin ✨
An Easy Death is a strange book. Western fantasy, is that even a genre? There are cowboys with guns and Russians with magic. Most of the time it worked, but sometimes it felt weird, like different puzzle pieces not fitting together but still being put next to each other.

It’s fast paced and there’s a lot of action. The story is very entertaining, but I often felt like I was missing something. There’s so much action but not a lot of explaining. The beginning of the book pretty much starts with a
Brittany
I didn't love it, but I didn't hate it.

#1 Request to make this book better. Please give us a map to more easily reference alternate locations, it adds a LOT to frame of reference for made up boundary lines other than the current country.

I have a hard time reading books written in mostly slang speak and so right away I had a hard time getting into the flow of the book.

Is an interesting concept? Yes, completely original, I don't think so, but it's not a saturated area to work with, so that was ok.
☕️Kimberly
In Lizbeth's wonky world the US fell after the assassination of FDR in the 1930s, and was picked off by the UK, Canada, Mexico, and Russia. Lizabeth Rose is a gunnie *gunslinger* who makes her living providing safe passage for folks. She and her security team escort them from Texoma (formerly the states of Texas, Oklahoma, New Mexico, and  Colorado) to Mexico where opportunities and jobs are plentiful. Ironic twist huh?

After a bad run, Lisbeth reluctantly accepts a job from two Russian wizards e
Barb (Boxermommyreads)
Oct 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
Lizbeth Rose is a gunnie, which means individuals hire her for assistance based on the fact that she is an excellent markswoman and is not afraid to kill to survive. Early on in the book, we see Lizbeth's team fall prey to an ambush. She survives but this means that she must find another way to make a living. Despite hating the Russian wizards and wanting noting to do with the part of the United States they have taken over, she agrees to a job helping two of them, Eli and Paulina. However, unbek ...more
Jamie
Jun 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received an ARC from the publisher, but all opinions are my own.

I must confess I've not read anything by Charlaine Harris before. It wasn't until I looked her up that I realized how prolific an author she is! I only really knew about the Sookie Stackhouse books and I don't particularly care for vampires so I didn't do my research, and that's shame on me.

Anyway, the point is that I thoroughly enjoyed An Easy Death. I could not put it down! I was just so enthralled by the world that Harris had
Elle's Book Blog
Release Date: October 2, 2018
Genre: Paranormal. Fantasy. Western. Alternate History.
Actual Rating: 4 stars

I will be the first to admit that this genre is not one I would normally read. I don't care for westerns, fantasy novels, or books about alternate histories. However, I decided to read this one anyway because I have been a longtime fan of Charlaine Harris and wanted to see if she could persuade me to enjoy a genre I would normally avoid. Well, kudos Charlaine. I liked this book far mo
Monica
Oct 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
I was excited to read this new novel by Charlaine Harris as I am a huge fan of her books. This novel takes place in an alternate North America where the USA no longer exists. Lizbeth Rose is a gunnie. She keeps people safe by being an excellent shot and this is how she earns her living. After a particularly hard job she ends up protecting two wizards and what happens is an exciting adventure with some interesting twists. The novel has a western feel to it but still has the feel of urban fantasy ...more
Wayland Smith
Nov 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: westerns
It's hard to even know how to classify this book. It's part Weird Western, part alternate history, and part sorta urban but really rural fantasy. We never do get a year the story is set in, but I think sometime just after World War I, the United States fell apart, weakened by a major flu epidemic, a massive depression, and rival countries. The former America fragmented into several regions.

Texoma, the former states of Texas and Oklahoma with a bit more territory, is one of the new countries, an
Faye
Read: February 2019
Rating: 3/5 stars

An Easy Death was a magical, alternate history novel and a major part of the plot stems from the fact that in this world, the Romanov family survived their assassination attempt in 1917.
The main character, Gunnie Rose (known as 'Gunnie' because she is a 'gun for hire') is hired by two magic users to protect them while they hunt for a person who can help to save a member of the Romanov royal family.

There was a lot I liked about the novel; mostly the world buil
Lynn Williams
Nov 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 of 5 stars
I had such a good time with An Easy Death – it’s one of those books that is, well, frankly, easy. Easy to read, easy to understand, easy to get along with and it has a great central character that I’ve already become attached to and can’t wait to read more from.

An Easy Death brings to us an alternative post apocalyptic America with a Wild West feel, it has magic, shootouts and a hint of romance. The pacing is terrific and there is literally never a dull moment.

The story practically
  • The Girl in the Green Silk Gown (Ghost Roads #2)
  • Wild Country (The World of the Others, #2; The Others, #7)
  • The Wild Dead (The Bannerless Saga #2)
  • Circle of the Moon (Soulwood, #4)
  • The Bartered Brides (Elemental Masters, #13)
  • The Kinsman Universe
  • The Hunt (Devil's Isle, #3)
  • Grave Destiny (Alex Craft, #6)
  • Dark Alchemy (Dark Alchemy, #1)
  • Ad Eternum (New Amsterdam, #4)
  • The Cold Eye (The Devil's West, #2)
  • Crashing Heat (Nikki Heat, #10)
  • Waylaid (The Peri Reed Chronicles, #1.5; The Hollows, #13.2)
  • Kill the Queen (Crown of Shards, #1)
  • 1636: The Vatican Sanction (Ring of Fire #24)
  • Blood Orbit (Gattis File #1)
  • The Black Wolves of Boston (Black Wolves of Boston)
  • Jinn and Juice (The Jinni, #1)
Charlaine Harris has been a published novelist for over thirty-five years. A native of the Mississippi Delta, she grew up in the middle of a cotton field. Charlaine lives in Texas now, and all of her children and grandchildren are within easy driving distance.

Though her early output consisted largely of ghost stories, by the time she hit college (Rhodes, in Memphis) Charlaine was writing poetry an