Start by marking “Heliopause (The Questrison Saga #1)” as Want to Read:
Heliopause (The Questrison Saga #1)

Heliopause

(The Questrison Saga #1)

Mandira Research Station beckons at the heliopause--the brink of interstellar space. After Forster sees flashes outside that no one else can, the captain of an incoming ship is attacked by an invisible foe. Forster and his enigmatic cowork
Published May 29th 2018 by J. Dianne Dotson

To ask other readers questions about Heliopause, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Heliopause

Start your review of Heliopause (The Questrison Saga #1)
Jonathan
Oct 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Heliopause is a fantastic first novel by newcomer Dianne Dotson. Fast-pace, relatable characters, plenty of plot twists and overall a heck of a lot of fun. Looking forward to the next book.
Justine
Sep 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Heliopause by J. Dianne Dotson is the next book up in my self-published marathon and not only has it been a nice break from my fantasy-strict reading diet, but it's always amazing to discover strikingly talented storytellers. While this story is sci-fi at its core, it’s also an alluring mystery that keeps you on your toes while nothing is as it seems. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and am so glad it was recommended to me.

At the edge of interstellar space, strange occurrences descend upon the usu
Nate
May 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is one you'll remember for a long time. The characters (human and otherwise) are memorable and the action is gripping. It may take you a few short chapters to get drawn in, but once you're in you'll be hooked on the adventure. It's difficult for me not to imagine this as a movie or TV series.

The setting of Heliopause is a far-flung space station, but the story makes it clear that author J. Dianne Dotson has developed a rich and complex universe beyond this arena. One can only wonder what el
Cheryl Lawson
Oct 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
An epic saga with great imagination. Sets up well to a follow up. An intriguing world with layered characters and complexities that help make it feel real.

What I didn't like was the repetition of the characters names in too high a frequency for my own liking. I also found the layout of the paperback uncomfortable with its line breaks between paragraphs. But, again, personal preference.

Recommend Heliopause (for its great imagination and heart) to science fiction buffs. This one is a compelling r
Billy Buttons
Aug 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was entered in The Wishing Shelf Book Awards. This is what our readers thought:
Title: Heliopause, The Questrison Saga: Book One

Writing Style: 9/10
Content: 9/10
Cover: 10/10
Of the 17 readers:
17 would read another book by this author.
17 thought the cover was good or excellent.
16 felt it was easy to follow.
17 would recommend this story to another reader to try.
Of all the readers, 11 felt the author’s stron
Adam Bateman
Mar 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A riveting book that had me hooked from the very first page!
I would highly recommend this book, the first in a series of books, that really gets the reader into the events that take place.
No spoilers here, but it will take you to places that you didn't think possible from a space point of view!

I couldn't stop reading it from the moment I got it, a very enthralling read.
Jackie Williams
Dec 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent sci-fi read.

I was drawn into this world immediately. The characters grew on me very quickly, and the story sped along at a great pace. Can't wait to read the next installment.
Anne Sturgill
May 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An exciting read in the science fiction genre. I especially liked the tension building to the climax of the story. Also the insight into the characters’ emotions as circumstances changed and the use of strong female characters. Don’t want to spoil the plot but you can see the potential for a sequel.
Patrick Hardy
May 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Awesome debut novel by indie SciFi writer J. Dianne Dotson. Suspense and a wisps of humor combine in a unique story...set at the edge of the solar system. I loved the way the story unfolded like an onion peeling back layers to reveal more and more of the picture. Memorable characters and deft story-telling really bring the book to life and sets the stage for the next phase in the saga. Fans of either hard SciFi or Fantasy will both enjoy this novel and if you’re a fan of both....it’s a double wi ...more
Rusty Trimble
Oct 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I am a huge fan of science fiction, especially the space opera. The problem is there is so much pseudo science and hastily written drivel that seeks to sponge of the wonder of Star Wars, Star Trek, and others that good books get lost in the shuffle. J. Dianne Dotson’s book serves as an example of what a space opera should be. First off, she is a science writer and it shows in her writing, beyond that, her story is exciting, poignant, and immersive. I kept saying “one more page!” as I could not p ...more
Kenneth Cross
Aug 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Anyone picking up this book... I had a hard time staying with it, at the beginning, I'll be honest. But I stuck with it, and I am glad I did! From chapter 4 or 5 it really picks up, hitting its stride, and by the time you're nearing the end, pages are turning at a rabbit's pace. I don't know if I can compare this to anything I've read in a long time; it's really throwback sci-fi. 2001: A Space Odyssey, maybe.
John Ratnaswamy
Oct 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Heliopause is original and worthwhile. I have read thousands of science fiction novels, but this one still kept me guessing (usually wrong) about what was going to happen. I'm very much looking forward to the next book in the series, ephemeris.
Tone
Aug 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
First of all, if you're like me and you're worried that there's a vampire on the crew of the space station, don't be.
I'd call Heliopause a retro-science fiction novel, except it's only retro in that it calls back to science fiction from the 80s and since I was alive back then it cannot be retro. Many of the classic elements are here; the aforementioned space station, psi powers, maybe some aliens, with a sprinkling of cosmic horror.
Elad
Sep 21, 2018 added it
What a fun read! Heliopause tells the story of a space station at the edge of the galaxy. It's stuffed full of the mainstays of science fiction including telepaths, aliens, dangerous (and sexy) AI's and a lot of great action. The writing is fluid and fast paced. The characters are well drawn and, despite being a large cast, very memorable. An enjoyable story that hints at a much larger adventure to come. I'll be reading!
Bruce
Jun 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The blurb for this novel reads "Flashes of light. An unseen menace. Messages from the void. Secrets at the edge of the solar system that threaten to destroy the future."

What it doesn't tell you is that when you start reading it, you get pulled back into the Golden Age of Science Fiction or into an episode of Star Trek (The Original Series). This books has the feel of one of those Asimov, Clarke, or Heinlein books. The technology employed isn't Golden Age, but the entire feel of the book is. It w
Jason Coward
Dec 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amidst a year of personal drama, I can’t really recall where or how I heard of this book or its author, who I have followed on social media since before I began reading the book. But I’m glad I did.

As a long-time science fiction fan who began his addiction as a teenager reading Asimov’s Foundation series, I was quickly drawn into the story’s main character, Forster. I’ve had trouble finding many stories that keep my attention since devouring Scott Lynch’s Gentleman Bastard series in late 2017. A
M.E. Aster
Mar 23, 2020 rated it liked it
This book had an exciting plot and an intriguing cast of characters. It was unique and worth a read. Personally I had a problem with the double spacing of the novel which took away a bit from the reading experience for me and at times I had trouble connecting to the cast since things moved very quickly. Overall though it was a lovely story and fans of sci-fi should check it out.
Clifford Goniea
Jan 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Set at the fringes of our solar system, Heliopause tells the unlikely story of a hero who feels like anything but. He's just a guy who want to help where help is needed. This book is very well paced and the characters seem very well represented and thought out. Great Science-Fiction with equal parts of each. Oh, and that whole human thing that gets in the way. Looking forward to the sequel to this one!
Thomas Frank
Jun 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fun, engaging story with interesting characters

Engaging story with characters that draw you in and interesting twists along the way. Characters that change and grow and learn about themselves and the universe in the process.
The Amusing Muse
Jun 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
I used to read a lot of science fiction, from Star Wars novels (until too many authors started writing too many overlapping and contradictory story lines) to Peter F. Hamilton, and after connecting with J. Dianne Dotson on Twitter (the cocktail party of social media) and discovering she had a book that was science fiction, I had to read it. This is an enjoyable book and an easy read, I knocked most of it out in a single day.

The characters are relatable and while you doing go down a rabbit hole i
Warren Singh-Bartlett
Jul 01, 2019 rated it did not like it
Poorly-written, badly edited. Clunky. Awkward. Dull.
Gave up after three chapters.
Gets one star because I can't give it none.
James Dotson
Dec 16, 2019
Keri Miller-Ferguson
Oct 05, 2019
Shamelessly Promo...: Book Signing Sunday! 3 7 Jan 06, 2019 05:18PM
Shamelessly Promo...: My Sci-fi/Fantasy Novel, First in a Four Book Series 1 4 Oct 07, 2018 09:54AM

• We Survivors: A Story from After the End
  • Winter Chills: Ghostly Tales for Cold Nights
  • Good Hunting (To Kill A King Book 1)
  • Dream Frequency
  • A Footstep Echo
  • Big Mouth Blues
  • Chicago Blue (Red Riley, #1)
  • From Chaos Comes Order: Book One: Chaos
  • What Are Friends For?
  • Amethyst: Collected Poems
  • My Summer Friend
  • Allison In Wonderland
  • Edge of the Breach (Rift Cycle, #1)
  • Saints of the Shadow Bible (Inspector Rebus, #19)
Author of Heliopause: The Questrison Saga®: Book One, Ephemeris: The Questrison Saga®: Book Two, and Accretion: The Questrison Saga®: Book Three (2020).

Dianne dreamed up other worlds and their characters as a child in the 1980s. She formed her own neighborhood astronomy club before age 10, to educate her friends about the universe. In addition to writing stories, she drew and painted her character

The Questrison Saga (3 books)
  • Ephemeris (The Questrison Saga #2)
  • Accretion (The Questrison Saga #3)