Start by marking “The Better Sister” as Want to Read:

The Better Sister

From Alafair Burke—New York Times bestselling author of the runaway hit, The Wife—comes another twisty tale of domestic noir. When a prominent Manhattan lawyer is murdered, two estranged sisters—one the dead man’s widow, the other his ex—must set aside mistrust and old resentments . . . but can they escape their past?

Though Chloe was the younger of the two Taylor sisters,
Expected publication: April 16th 2019 by Harper (first published April 2019)

To ask other readers questions about The Better Sister, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Better Sister

Susanne Strong
Jan 24, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: buddy-read, edelweiss
2 stars

Chloe Taylor is now married to Adam, raising her sister Nicky’s son, Ethan. It’s a sordid little tale you see, as her sister Nicky was Adam’s first wife. Yeah, you heard that right. Adam got primary custody after Nicky was declared unfit. Ethan is now a teenager and has always called Chloe, mom. Chloe is editor of a woman’s magazine and is known for the “#Themtoo” Feminist Movement and is both loved and hated. Except for being trolled on the internet, her life is pretty perfect: her husba
Jamie
Jan 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arcs
Alafair Burke has done it again - and dare I say - this may just be her best yet!

Chloe Taylor, an editor-in-Chief of a women’s magazine spearheading the #MeToo movement - returns home to lavish Hamptons weekend home to find her husband stabbed to death. But, Chloe and Adam didn’t exactly have a boy-meets-girl traditional start, Adam is divorced from Chloe’s own sister, Nicky. Delving into family relationships and unraveling exactly how someone marries their sister’s ex while wondering “whodunni
Marti
Jan 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another 5 Star Read
Patty
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
By
Alifair Burke

What it's all about...

Two sisters...haven’t seen each other in years until a crisis brings them together again. The dysfunctional part of their relationship is that one sister...Chloe...married the other sister’s...Nicky’s...ex husband and is raising her son.

Why I wanted to read it...

This book grabbed me from the first pages. Two sisters have a complicated dysfunctional past and one...Chloe...ends up being mom and step mom to 15 year old Ethan. In fact Chloe ends
Roseanne
Dec 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Ms. Burke does not disappoint in her latest novel. She carefully weaves a great tale of love on every level while staying true to her voice and vision in The Better Sister. This book took me on a journey through sisterhood, motherhood and love. I can’t wait for what’s next. Easily her best work.
Jo Dervan
Jan 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Chloe Taylor was a popular feminist and the editor of a women’s magazine. Her marriage to successful attorney Adam McIntosh seemed perfect. Adam had been married to Nicky, Chloe’s older sister and together they had a son, Ethan. However that marriage dissolved due to Nicky’s mental issues. So Adam got full custody of Ethan after the divorce and moved to NYC where Chloe was climbing the ladder in the publishing field. He and Chloe fell in love, married and raised Ethan together.

One night Chloe in
Reading in the Rockies
Feb 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Better Sister ☆☆☆ 3.5/5

The title and synopsis are all wrong for the newest book from Alafair Burke, which for me was perfect as I was skeptical of both and only interested because of the author. The Better Sister is a murder mystery, court procedural, crime fiction. While slow to unfold, the murder mystery does keep the reader wondering, but isn’t overly shocking; a former DA and current law professor, Alafair’s court procedural is written exceptionally well.

Despite the characters being unr
Abby
Jan 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: edelweiss
There is a lot of buzz about Alafair Burke's last books, The Wife and The Ex, so I was especially curious about this new book and excited to dive into my first read of this author. I was not disappointed.

Chloe primarily narrates the story, and it had many twists and turns. I like Chloe because she is strong, smart, resourceful, and a reliable narrator. She is credible and (with the exception of stealing her sister's husband and child) a moral character. She forms a relationship with her estrange
Sam
Feb 04, 2019 rated it liked it
I got the advanced reader’s copy of this one, which is due for publication in April. I hadn’t read anything by this author prior to this novel. The story was really engaging and the ending was actually surprising to me. However, I think the author bit off a bit more than she could chew. A former prosecutor herself, she put in a lot of technical law description which took away from the story and leaving the flow of the plot rather choppy. I would have loved more character development and a cleare ...more
Jill
Jan 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
I flew through this book, I really am enjoying reading Alafair Burke's novels. A few times I thought I knew who did it, but then things would change. I knew that I wouldn't know until the end who actually killed Adam. Great read!
Ilyssa Wesche
Jan 31, 2019 rated it liked it
This was way better than I thought it would be - the premise (one sister marries another sister's husband) could have been so terrible, and yet the story was intriguing and bingeworthy.

Plus, I see you, Howard Stern shoutouts!
Heather
Jan 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Suspenseful, but not in a scary way. There is a dead body discussed early on. A good read of sister's growing up and finally getting along.
Lori
Laura Kellaway
Dec 20, 2018
Natalie
Feb 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Put this in your beach tote, this is the ultimate beach read. Very exciting story of 2 sisters, the husband they both married and the son they shared. Somehow, Burke makes all these dissonant situations work, beautifully.

Chloe and Nicky both married Adam, but when he is found dead, all the evidence points to their son. This book is an exciting page turner. Burke is able to make the 3 main characters believable and give them motives in Adam’s death.

There are lots of twists and turns which make
Erin
Kimberly
Jan 13, 2019
Karen R.
Feb 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I sped through The Better Sister, trying to figure out what was really going on. Alafair Burke does an excellent job with just giving you enough, but not so much you can crack it!
Chloe and Adam are married, and live with Adam’s son Ethan. Ethan’s mom is Nicky, who happens to be Chloe’s sister. Adam ends up dead, and Ethan is the main suspect. Nicky comes back into their live, and the family secrets and dysfunctional dynamics start to spill out.
The characters are well developed, and I wasn’t sure
Mrs. Fernandez
  • I'll Be Watching You
  • The Last Time I Saw You
  • The Nanny
  • Woman 99
  • A Beautiful Corpse (Harper McClain, #2)
  • The Last Widow (Will Trent, #9)
  • All the Wrong Places
  • Keep You Close
  • Stolen Things
  • A Stranger on the Beach
  • The First Mistake
Alafair Burke is the New York Times bestselling author of "two power house series" (Sun-Sentinel) that have earned her a reputation for creating strong, believable, and eminently likable female characters, such as NYPD Detective Ellie Hatcher and Portland Deputy District Attorney Samantha Kincaid. Alafair's novels grow out of her experience as a prosecutor in America's police precincts and crimina ...more