Start by marking “The Vanishing Stair (Truly Devious, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Vanishing Stair (Truly Devious, #2)

The Vanishing Stair

(Truly Devious #2)

4.23  ·  Rating details ·  36,748 ratings  ·  5,697 reviews
All Stevie Bell wanted was to find the key to the Ellingham mystery, but instead she found her classmate dead. And while she solved that murder, the crimes of the past are still waiting in the dark. Just as Stevie feels she’s on the cusp of putting it together, her parents pull her out of Ellingham academy.

For her own safety they say. She must move past this obsession with
Published January 22nd 2019 by Katherine Tegen Books

To ask other readers questions about The Vanishing Stair, please sign up.

·  36,748 ratings  ·  5,697 reviews

Start your review of The Vanishing Stair (Truly Devious, #2)
Emma Giordano
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
WOWOWOW I loved this book so much!! A fantastic sequel, possibly even more enjoyable than the first installment, which was tough to beat.

CW: anxiety/panic attacks, murder, death, abduction

I came away from The Vanishing Stair with such a greater appreciation for this entire series. From the impeccable characterization to the flawlessly constructed plot, The Vanishing Stair is everything one would want from a second installment. It’s not as if anything was lacking in Truly Devious, but the seque
chai ♡
How am I supposed to....go on being a person after that ending?

Let me preface this by stating that this entire review could be replaced by a footage of me striding down a big hallway in a fancy period gown yelling “fuck fuck fuck” because that would more accurately sum up all my feelings.

So, what’s this book about?

Stevie is cast away from the Ellingham academy by her parents and promptly ordered to push the sour remains of her time in Ellingham to the back of her mind. But Stevie’s m
daph pink ♡
Truly devious :- ⭐⭐.15/5 Read review here
Vanishing stair :- ⭐.75/5

Hand on the wall :-⭐⭐.5/5 read review here

*Spoiler ahead*

I just finished the second book and all I can say and I can't stress enough
WHAT THE FUCK DID I JUST READ ??

In fact, I could manage without reading the sequel. But as a reader, I tend to be optimistic when it comes to sequels or new book releases . I want to give this series another chance, even if I don’t agree with the idea of dragging out a mystery in order for i
Tucker  (TuckerTheReader)

What shall we use
We can't decide

Just like you cannot
Run or hide

Give me an ARC of this book
Or we shall destroy book one

Ha ha,

Truly,
In need of this book

| Goodreads | Blog | Pinterest | LinkedIn | YouTube | In
megs_bookrack
Jan 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
**4.5-stars**

Dear Maureen Johnson,

First of all, how dare you?

It was truly devious of you to hit me with YET ANOTHER cliffhanger ending.

Nevertheless, I will continue to read anything you choose to write. If you happen to continue this series until the end of time, I assure you I will read them all. That's a promise.

Love you like a friend,

Megs

I had many, many thoughts whilst reading The Vanishing Stair.

For example, there was this:

Wrapped up by this:

In all seriousness though, that
jessica
Mar 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
you know that feeling when you misremember how you felt about a book, potentially romanticising it, because you swear the story was just that good?? i think i did that with ‘truly devious’ because i went into this expecting it to be a five star read. and maybe thats my fault. i should have done a quick reread beforehand because this sequel did nothing to help me remember why i thought i was obsessed with this story.

dont get me wrong. its still a pretty solid sequel and a really good book, but i
Gaby (lookingatbooks)
Jan 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Dear Maureen Johnson and whoever publishes this trilogy,
Please send me the arc for this immediately as I am having a spaz attack after the cliffhanger of book number one, okay?

Sincerely,
Someone who wants to know who’s in the photo
April (Aprilius Maximus)
May 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites, 2020, 2019, anxiety
1.) Truly Devious ★★★★★
2.) The Vanishing Stair ★★★★.5
3.) The Hand on the Wall ★★★★.75

-----------------------------------------------

WHAT DOES THAT ENDING EVEN MEAN????
Hamad
Jan 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019-reads, e-books
This review and other non-spoilery reviews can be found @The Book Prescription

“Where do you look for someone who’s never really there? Always on a staircase but never on a stair.”

🌟 The Vanishing Stair was what I expected it to be; an unnecessary bridge to the third book and this whole series could have been a duology. Yes, this book fell into the second book syndrome with much blabber and not much happening till the end!

🌟 I enjoyed book 1 more than I did with this one because there were much
✨    jamieson   ✨
I. LOVED. THIS. SO. FREAKIN. MUCH

This was ... WILD. The twists?!?! The turns!!! The REVEALS. I think this is definitely becoming one of my new favourite series?? and I am DYING FOR BOOK THREE ALREADY

Where do you look for someone who's never really there? Always on a staircase, but never on a stair.

The Vanishing Stair starts a few months after the events of Truly Devious. Despite being pulled from Ellingham Academy by her parents, the mysteries of Ellingham Academy and the Truly Devious case
emma
I can’t remember anything that happened in this book.

Judging by my pre-review (which consists of about one-third expletives and three-thirds surprise), I was shocked by something. I do not remember what that thing was, but considering this is a murder mystery, and also the second book in a series, I’m going to guess it was one part Big Reveal and one part cliffhanger.

How frustrating, presumably, for past me.

The only thing I really remember is finding this book slightly disappointing in compariso
Reading_ Tam_ Ishly
Jan 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The most disappointing part of the book?! The 'Acknowledgwments' just after the last chapter! I wanted MORE...and yes, I can imagine how vampires must be craving for warm blood to survive.
Ok, for Nate's sake, how this book made my life incompletely complete:
The second book started with a bang! Each page was so entertaining, except for the David parts, of course. (I still cannot get used to this character nor to the awkward romance. I guess I never will.) I find almost every character really amus
Nilufer Ozmekik
May 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Four more astonishing and intriguing, TG this time I’m not disappointed stars!

This book’s difference from the first one, we don’t need any introductions about Ellingham academy, its history and past kidnapping, murder mysteries. It started where it left and we have some revelations, more informations, finding important pieces of puzzle.
This is more fast paced, riveting and entertaining book. I even start to empathize Stevie, her techniques, her obsessions, way of thinking, emotional up and dow
Christian
Mar 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: released-2019
4 1/2 stars

This was exactly what I needed at exactly the right time. It basically had everything I wanted from a sequel and, to me, is the perfect second installment in this series. The characters felt more fleshed out and charming, the dialogues felt incredibly realistic and well-written, the suspense was ridiculously well structured and executed and THE REVEALS were quite unpredictable and shocking to me. Once more I cannot wait for the next book. (Also Nate hi I love you.)

* * *

YOOOO THIS TI
Kai
Aug 14, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: owned
Three stars for a genuinely good second half but a) wasting the first half on retelling book one and b) the squirrels, the fountain, and the shit love interest
may ❀
where can i petition to have more YA mystery series?

i love this SO. MUCH. and frankly it's disrespectful to have me wait until 2020 to get some real answers

rtc
jv poore
Man.

Maureen Johnson is master of ending a book in a way that makes the reader throw it across the room, and demand: I WILL HAVE MY SEQUEL NOW!

Cannot wait for the next Truly Devious novel.

And, you may recall my grumbling about punctuation in the first book "Truly, Devious"...well, I'd be remiss if I did not tell you that my little pet peeve did not appear in the second book.
Shaun Hutchinson
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This one hit the spot in all the right ways. The first book felt a little unfinished for me, but this one fleshed out the mysteries, gave us answers, and set up the mysteries for the next book. All in all a really great read.
Lia Carstairs
Jul 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
Actual Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐.5

"Where do you look for someone who's never really there?
Always on a staircase but never on a stair."

DID IT SERIOUSLY JUST END LIKE THAT???!!!
Wow.😠

Just wow. Someone should seriously congratulate Maureen Johnson with her amazing cliffhangers.

WARNING: SPOILERS BELOW FROM BOOK 1!!!! (spoilers from this book are in tags)
You have been warned............

I thought Truly Devious's ending was bad but no...........this is WAY worse.
(view spoiler)
alana ♡
Mar 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
This is a joke right?
I don't really need to wait until 2020?
PLEASE TELL ME THIS IS A JOKE?!

I need answers, damn it.

You can find my review for Truly Devious and The Vanishing Stair on the blog HERE.

Blog | Twitter | Instagram
Mackenzie Lane
The plot thickens.

Now that's what I call a cliff-hanger! So much was revealed in the last 50 pages, and for it to end like that? Bravo, Maureen Johnson.

I definitely enjoyed this second novel in the Truly Devious series more than the first. It still carried all the luscious descriptions of crisp Autumn mornings that I so loved in Truly Devious; I'll never tire of reading about fall in New England.

The characters felt worn-in, in the best way possible. Nate is my favorite, by far. David's still we
l a u r a ♛
Jan 09, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fav, sort-of-reviews
4.75/5 :)

OMG OMG OMG SO MANY THINGS HAPPENED WTF-

me after reading this book:

a thought that nobody asked for~ when Stevie was describing Edward King it really really really reminded me of Trump (trump supporters don’t attack me :))
April
Feb 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This series just gets more and more addictive.
Jananie (thisstoryaintover)
Jul 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
HOLY SH*T WHAT THE HELL. OMG. I NEED THE NEXT BOOK NOWWWW
Nastassja

**This review now posted on my blog**

Dear readers, may I present you a desperate attempt of a bad poet with a shitty rhyme at expressing her WTF feelings aimed at The Vanishing Stair aka The Torture Device aka one more year of desolation aka nine circles of hell aka-- You get the picture!

Riddle riddle on the wall, who's the wickedest of them all?
You are wicked, there's no doubt.
But the slyest of them all is Maureen Johnson!

Riddle riddle on the wall, how do I survive the fall?
Under stair

sofia
Dec 18, 2020 rated it liked it
3 stars

“a book gives you everything. it gives you a window into other souls, other worlds. the world is a door. books are the key."

synopsis:
the vanishing stair takes place directly after the events of Truly Devious, as stevie continues to try solving the ellingham case, and the mystery of the death of one of her classmates.

trigger warnings:
light violence, mention of drugs, drinking, alcoholism, anxiety, death

overall thoughts:
okay im pretty conflicted on this book. because honestly, it wasn’t tha
Kyle
Feb 27, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-thriller, ya
This is bullshit. I cannot stand by another cliffhanger ending, and an author who thinks it’s okay to manipulate their readership into buying another book to find out what happens. This whole series screams “CASH GRAB!”, and I’m done.

I should have been done after book one (which, of course, also ended on a cliffhanger), but more-so because of Maureen Johnson’s clearly biased politics. Now, some may find this to be nit-picking on my part, and maybe a bit overblown, but I need to say it:

It takes a
Melanie (MelReads)
Dec 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I WAS RIGHT FROM THE FIRST BOOK. I can’t believe that damn first book made me question my theory and I was right, smh. That ending reveal was wild
Dannii Elle
First Read: October 2019, Rating: 4 stars
Second Read: November 2020, Rating: 4 stars

This is the second instalment in the Truly Devious series.

Ellingham Academy is the dream location for budding creatives, entrepreneurs, geniuses, and innovators. It was also once the setting for an infamous abduction and series of murders. These were solved long ago but for new student Stevie, not accurately enough.

How can Maureen Johnson leave her readers hanging with an ending like that??? Both instalments, in
Kate Welsh
6/20/19: REREADING for REASONS.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah. THIS IS AS GOOD AS YOU ARE HOPING. Stevie is still great, Ellingham Academy is still the best school ever, murder is still happening, but NOW IT IS PROPERLY FALL so I want to live in this book EVEN MORE than the first one. (Oh, but the mystery, you ask - sure! The mystery GETS EVEN BETTER. I can say no more.)

• A Good Girl's Guide to Murder (A Good Girl's Guide to Murder, #1)
  • The Inheritance Games (The Inheritance Games, #1)
  • A Study in Charlotte (Charlotte Holmes, #1)
  • One of Us Is Next (One of Us Is Lying, #2)
  • The Cousins
  • Good Girl, Bad Blood (A Good Girl's Guide to Murder, #2)
  • The Last of August (Charlotte Holmes, #2)
  • The Case for Jamie (Charlotte Holmes, #3)
  • A Question of Holmes (Charlotte Holmes, #4)
  • Two Can Keep a Secret
  • Legendborn (Legendborn, #1)
  • The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue
  • All Your Twisted Secrets
  • You Should See Me in a Crown
  • Sadie
  • The House in the Cerulean Sea
  • All That Glitters (Enchantée, #1)
  • What If It's Us (What If It's Us, #1)

Truly Devious (4 books)
  • Truly Devious (Truly Devious, #1)
  • The Hand on the Wall (Truly Devious, #3)
  • The Box in the Woods