Start by marking “Unreliable Memoirs” as Want to Read:
Unreliable Memoirs

Unreliable Memoirs

(Unreliable Memoirs #1)

'I was born in 1939. The other big event of that year was the outbreak of the Second World War, but for the moment, that did not affect me.' In the first instalment of Clive James's memoirs, we meet the young Clive, dressed in short trousers, and wrestling with the demands of school, various relatives and the occasional snake, in the suburbs of post-war Sydney.
Published 1981 by Pan Books (first published 1980)

To ask other readers questions about Unreliable Memoirs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Unreliable Memoirs

Start your review of Unreliable Memoirs
PattyMacDotComma
Really enjoyed the childhood memoir and the wonderful descriptions of post-war Australia. The other 2 books seemed to dwell on how poor, cold, and smart he was and I lost interest.
+++

The above are the few words I wrote when I read this many years ago. Clive is so highly regarded, I often feel I should give him another go, but he has always irritated me for some reason. What we used to call "too clever by half".

Now that he's just died, I'm sure there will be a new crop of readers, so I look forw
Emma
A slightly drawn out autobiography describing a boy growing into a man in Australia in the 50s. It’s mildly interesting and sporadically funny, but nowhere near as hilarious as the reviews imply. Perhaps I’m just too far removed (geographically and age wise) from the subject matter.
Lyn Elliott
I was one of those who suggested that our book club read this, in our elaborate democratic process of choosing books from the library group reading list, but once I started in I couldn’t stand it. Given encouragement from others who said they had laughed out loud reading it, I persisted, sort of, which means that I skipped and sampled enough to a) learn more than I needed to know about Clive’s childhood and adolescence and b) could contribute to the discussion.
I’ve summarised our discussion he
MaryG2E
Feb 25, 2015 rated it liked it
I quite enjoyed this memoir from one of Australia's best loved writers, the irrepressible Clive James. Almost from the opening pages you can tell this book was written a long time ago, when the structures of books were different and chapters were long and involved multiple ideas. Even the look and feel of the book is different from today's publications - issued in 1980, the text is small and tightly packed onto the page, resulting in a book of 175 pages only. I actually found it quite hard to re ...more
Robbie Clark
Jun 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I first read this when I was a young teenager and it's a book I've returned to time and time again.

The strength of the novel is Clive James's self deprecating humour, that has you cringing and laughing at the same time. He's fearless in recounting stories that anyone else would have happily oppressed and forgotten about.

I recommend this book to everyone I know and keep having to buy myself new copies because of the one's I give away.

Read it and enjoy.
Smiley
Aug 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: memoirs
Guaranteed by a bold commendation under the title on the front cover: 'Do not read this book in public. You will risk severe internal injuries from trying to suppress your laughter . . . , this memoir looked interestingly challenging to me at first sight when I came across it in the DASA Book Café a few months ago. Till early last July I decided to buy one to read after reading his Wikipedia biography. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clive_J...)

I found reading this paperback amazingly funny and,
Christiane
I don’t normally read the introduction to a book until after I have finished it as I like to make up my own mind about what I’m reading.
This time I started off with P.J. O’Rourke singing the praises of „Unreliable Memoirs“, which we‘re told is not only „every thinking persons’memoir“, „something new that no one has done before or will do again“ but „the best memoir in the world“ by „the best-read person he’s ever known“. (In order to find more things to praise, even the town name of Kogarah seem
Lauren Albert
Mar 01, 2010 rated it really liked it
James is on my short list of people I envy terribly. Brilliant, extravagantly well-read, and funny to boot. I've read his criticism but never his other nonfiction so I didn't know what to expect. Unreliable Memoirs is his affectionate book-length mockery of himself as a child and young man. From spider bites to go cart crashes, it's a wonder that his mother didn't have a nervous breakdown. "The only thing I liked about school was skipping around in circles until the music stopped, then lying dow ...more
R.K. Cowles
Jun 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: memoir
3 3/4 stars
Nooilforpacifists
Sep 24, 2020 rated it liked it
This is an appallingly boring read from an excellent writer. I never would have finished it, nor given it three stars, had not this Volume 1 of Clive James’s autobiography gotten interesting only as he enters college. It’s a laugh riot from there on. And all too recognizable from my years of protracted adolescence and delayed learning. James, at least, began learning how to learn in his twenties. Took me a decade longer.
John of Canada
Feb 15, 2018 rated it it was ok
Clive has a wonderful way with words.Interesting history,but too much of what I thought was a little too personal.He was kind of a nasty kid.
Deborah Ideiosepius
This charmingly written, addictively funny book is the first I have read by the well known CLive James. The first in his series of memoirs he claims that they are often fictionised and highly unreliable. I have my doubts that anyone could imagine many of the events described here, so I am going to credit it with greater truth than it claims for itself.

Covering James' early life, childhood, adolescence, university and national service it takes us up to the point at which James reaches England as
Karen
Jun 16, 2015 rated it really liked it

In 2015 I wrote a short review of UNRELIABLE MEMOIRS:

Many years ago I remember being given this book for my birthday with the comment "thought you might like this, he's the sort of droll smart-arse commentator that should appeal to you". The presenter of this present knew me well, although I think that they did a massive disservice to Clive James.

The first of a series of books he's subsequently written as memoir there is nobody in these books that James picks on more than himself.

Rob Walter
Jun 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
To me, this book is an absolute classic. There were parts where I was unable to read any further because of the tears of laughter in my eyes, but that probably prevented the more serious damage that could have resulted from reading on and laughing even more. However a great book needs more than humour, it needs to mean something, and this book addresses profound themes concerning family, love, confidence, life choices, regret and self-acceptance. I have read this book before, but I was astonishe ...more
Tony
May 15, 2017 rated it liked it
I read this originally way back in the 80s and obviously thought more highly of it then. I was working for the BBC at the time in Woodstock Grove, the offices were just along the corridor from Clive Janes’ and I may have been influenced by that.

This time around the distance between his young - and my old(er) self seems a bigger bridge to traverse.

A good and well written account but with too many unfamiliar references for me.
Spencer Fancutt
Sep 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A frank, hilarious account of the writer's early life growing up in Sydney. James unfalteringly trapezes with grace between fart jokes and arcane literary references, poetic natural descriptions and angst-ridden teenage neuroses, in an admittedly half-fabricated journey through a youth that despite its hyperbole reveals a picture in which maybe everyone can see a part of their own childhood. Accomplished and absorbing. And very funny.
John
Feb 03, 2008 rated it liked it
James' memoir about growing up in Australia is often riotously funny -- worth reading for those passages alone. But to my eye, he sidesteps some of the deeper material he could've explored, including his relationship with his widowed mother. That lack makes the book a series of humorous childish adventures, but something less than it could have been in the hands of a writer as brilliant as James.
Andrew
Jul 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
James can really write, and he is - of course - funny. He can be a bit hard on himself at times (probably with good reason) although difficult to know how much has been changed to protect people. Probably bad idea to read the whole book, which is a compendium of 3 books, all in one go; should've read other books between each.

Now I need to track down and read everything else he has written.
Suzy Maher
Sep 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Possibly my favorite book of all time. Beautifully written, I heard Clive James' voice throughout the entire book.
Gerald Sinstadt
Sep 21, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: biography
Clive James has always seemed a man unsure whether he was a serious academic or a wannabe comedian. These recollections of childhood through school and university in mid-Century Australia reveal the dilemma in embryo.

From his early learning years James offers an account of himself as naturally gifted but inherently unenthusiastic. The selfishness of his relationship with his mother is viewed with ambivalent eyes - he did what he wanted, progressed with her support but seems to think he should h
Daniel
Jun 05, 2008 rated it really liked it
This book could have been subtitled "The Story of an Australian Penis" because a solid three-quarters of the book is focused rather narrowly on James' pre-pubescent and adolescent sex life. I was rather annoyed by this and also by James' alternately self-pitying and self-chastising tone. I also hated his rather inelegant way of ending nearly every paragraph with some high-minded literary allusion or another. However, despite these shortcomings I plowed through the book quickly and enthusiastical ...more
Geoffrey Gates
Nov 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Clive James has in recent years been serialising his struggles with leukaemia in a series he calls ‘Reports of My Death’, which such headlines as ‘My new wheelchair is a thing of beauty and precision’. This is Clive James to a T: beautiful phrasing, unending humour, and the temerity to put himself at the centre of every phase of his life, and assume that interest will follow. It does, because his sentences are that good.

Carol
Aug 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
Reading this reminded me of how much I enjoyed the television reviews written by Clive James in The Observer newspaper many years ago. I love his sense of humour, and it really doesn't matter whether the events described are fact or fiction.
Luke
Apr 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020
After Clive James died, I figured it was time for me to read his autobiographical sometimes-fiction Unreliable Memoirs collection. Here, there's three books under one title, which is bad news for my Goodreads challenge numbers but pretty good in terms of entertaining stories per book.

It can safely be assumed that any writer who gives you a record of his own life is nuts about himself.

It's a little strange to refer to these works as autobiographical when almost all of James's work features a cer
Adam Johnson
Aug 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
will make you laugh out loud on the train, very funny, very much worth a read.
Rochelle
May 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Clive James is so wonderfully irreverent, an intellectual with a larikin heart. A delightful read!
Miranda Kate
Jun 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
I always enjoyed Clive James whenever he was on telly. He was interesting and funny. I liked the way he spoke, I like his rambling, overwordy, slightly humorous style, and it translates well into this book. I could hear his voice saying it all as though he was reading it to me.

This book was first published in 1980 and it does feel dated. It only covers the years up until he left Australia to go to the UK. It is chock full of anecdotes from his birthday until the end of his university years. Some
Anne
Jan 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was my Christmas holiday read. 182 pages.
No ghost writing here, it was as if Clive was reading his memior to me himself. Clive's dad died while returning home from WW2 and was raised an only child by his widowed mum. A colorful, entertaining,well written, sometimes wordy recount of growing up in post WW2 suburban Australia. I laughed out loud a few times and cringed out loud a lot. This memoir was first published in paperback in 1981 when Clive was 42 and in 2015 a beautifully written afte
Jim
Nov 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: biography-memoir
Although there was a lot of interesting material and some humor, as well as good writing, there was quite a bit that I really didn't need to know about, and I also hope he didn't use the individuals' names in some cases, as I would have been mortified to have been outed like he did. I think I will have to see if he wrote about his later years, cause surely there will be famous people mentioned (and probably in less that favorable light).
Penne Moschetti
Dec 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Oh my, I don't remember when a book made me laugh out loud. I remember James from long ago on television and have never read anything of his before. I was prompted to by his recent death.
His persona was so idiosyncratic and so too was his writing. The references and analogies are particularly vivid to the reader who is a native and of a similar age. It all rang with particular hilarity to me. Maybe it says something not particularly complimentary about my character.

• Peace
  • Broken Greek
  • Tall Tales and Wee Stories: The Best of Billy Connolly
  • How to Grow Old: A middle-aged man moaning
  • Bruny
  • The Moon's a Balloon
  • Phosphorescence: On Awe, Wonder and Things That Sustain You When the World Goes Dark
  • The Weekend
  • One Two Three Four: The Beatles in Time
  • The Returns
  • Between the Stops: The View of My Life from the Top of the Number 12 Bus
  • Flesh Wounds
  • Maigret and Monsieur Charles
  • V2: A Novel of World War II
  • 2,024 QI Facts To Stop You In Your Tracks
  • The Good Turn (Cormac Reilly, #3)
  • The Dictionary of Lost Words
  • Sweet Thursday (Cannery Row #2)

An expatriate Australian broadcast personality and author of cultural criticism, memoir, fiction, travelogue and poetry. Translator of Dante.

Unreliable Memoirs (5 books)
  • Falling Towards England
  • May Week Was in June
  • North Face of Soho
  • The Blaze of Obscurity

News & Interviews

“Rilke used to say that no poet would mind going to gaol, since he would at least have time to explore the treasure house of his memory. In many respects Rilke was a prick.” 12 likes
“Funny Debates at both Cambridge and Oxford eventually helped to convince me that the only place to be amusing is in a serious context.” 1 likes