Start by marking “Tide of Stone” as Want to Read:
Tide of Stone

Tide of Stone

The Time-Ball Tower of Tempuston houses the worst criminals in history. Given the option of the death penalty or eternal life, they chose eternal life. They have a long time to regret that choice.
Published May 14th 2018 by Omnium Gatherum (first published April 19th 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Tide of Stone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tide of Stone

Start your review of Tide of Stone
S.P.
May 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Tide of Stone follows a year in the career of Phillipa Muskett, who has been selected as the 2014 Keeper of the Time Ball Tower. The prestigious job comes with a list of duties, not least the upkeep of prisoners who live in the tower. Why, you might ask, would convicts be kept inside a building constructed to measure time? The question goes to the very heart of this strange and provocative novel by Kaaron Warren. The inescapable answer is: to remind those condemned to serve life sentences that t ...more
Sci-Fi & Scary
Sep 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Maybe it’s fitting, considering the subjects of this story, that it took me ages to finish Tide of Stone. It is a good book, but it is not action-packed or particularly exciting. Instead it is thought-provoking and quietly disturbing. For people looking for the later, it’s perfect. However, I tend to be the type of horror reader that goes for surface satisfaction and action, so it didn’t suit me well.

There were some things about Tide of Stone that I liked, though. Primarily that Kaaron Warren to
Phillip Smith
Jun 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
3.5 rounded up. This is a chilling, cinematic story that gets a little bogged down under trivialities. Especially in the first 1/2 the book. But when it gets cooking, it becomes an evil thing that will twist inside your brain.
Nick Cato
May 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A sublime fever dream of ever-building dread. Will easily make many top ten lists for best of 2018. Full review 5/21/18 at thehorrorfictionreview.blogspot.vom.
Alan Baxter
Jun 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical, horror
I‪ guarantee you’ll have never read anything quite like this before. Unique ideas and one of the most harrowing scenes I’ve ever read! ‬
Damon Stanley
Jan 04, 2020 rated it it was ok
I was overall quite disappointed with the book. It is an easy read and I cannot exactly say that I regret finishing it (though early on I considered putting it down).

What this novel has is a strong premise: there's an island-prison where the worst criminals you can imagine (mass/serial killers, mostly) are made nearly immortal (though in a way that makes them physically decrepit) and kept confined. Our protagonist is the keeper of the prison.

There are many questions that naturally arise with suc
Nancy
Oct 11, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2019
Finished: 11.10.2019
Genre: speculative fiction (horror)
Rating: D
#RIPXIV
#AWW2019
Conclusion:
Winner Aurealis Award 2018 Best Horror novel
....no prize from me!
Here is why...

My Thoughts
Rob
Mar 03, 2020 rated it did not like it
DNF.

Tide of Stone? Tied to a stone...and thrown into the deepest part of a lake would be more fitting for this mess of a book. Drivel.
Adam
Sep 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: weird, ebook
I was very impressed by Warren's story The Human Moth and have been looking forward to her novels since I read it. Tide of Stone did not disappoint. It is one of those books clearly kindred to the "weird" genre but completely unrelated to its cosmic horror "mainstream." It most resembles Kafka I think, both in the character of its fantasy and the intimate anonymity of its narration. But is somehow more approachable, even casual, about its protagonist, a spin I enjoyed.

Overall, I thought it was
Kyla Ward
“There's one thing out there... you'll need to look for it. You'll know it when you find it.”

“Don't let boredom eat away at you.”

“Be careful. Look after yourself. Think of the future. Don't be too curious. Don't think you need to explore everything. Don't go too far down.”

Phillipa Muskett, appointed as Keeper for 2014, receives all sorts of advice. She herself has been preparing her whole life, in various ways, for the year she will spend in the Time Ball Tower, tending to those imprisoned there
Imogen Cassidy
May 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Amazing exploration of tradition and humanity. Bone chillingly horrifying. Full of sadness and regret and in the end, hope.
S O'Keeffe
Sep 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Tide of Stone is an admirably ambitious work. The novel is told through a series of Keepers' reports - Keepers being the Wardens of a prison for immortals - that detail the mundanity and sadism of imprisoning the undying. With over a hundred narrators, the book is sweeping in it's scope and effective in conveying the depravity and agony of the slow torture that is aging without end. The central premise is creepy and the setting of the isolated, prison tower evocative. I enjoyed Warren's explorat ...more
Dan
Oct 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very few books can be genuinely described as both original and unique, but Kaaron Warren’s Tide of Stone is exactly that. At turns haunting and grotesque, Warren threads the reader through a history of bizarre punishment as the novel winds up, like a clockwork alarm, towards the final, macabre sucker-punch. Warren promises and delivers her usual mastery of exquisite prose and brutal narrative in this exploration of humanity’s hunger for justice, whatever the cost. Highly recommended.
Sandy
Mar 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
I love dystopian fiction. The concept was ingriguiging; life in prison isn’t a long enough punishment for the most heinous crimes. In this story, eternity as a helpless sentinent being was a reality.

I have to admit that I’m often a lazy reader. This book stimulates thinking.
Julio
Aug 16, 2020 rated it liked it
Hola, chicos.
Ayer escuché un podcast de Jordi Wild en el que raja bastante de lo último de Starwars, así que se me han quedado algunas expresiones que suelta este yputuber, que es de mis favoritos junto con auron play, y voy a usarlas para decir que el final de este libro me pareció una "puta mierda". xD
Lo siento, pero es así. Creo que esta autora es conocida en España, ya que por medio de una página española conocí esta novela. Leí la sinopsis y me dio ganas de comprarla. La ordené. Llegó hace
Sean
Feb 19, 2020 rated it it was ok
This was the whole point of it. The justification, the reason. The guilt he felt. Every day, for eternity, because anything else wasn't enough.

Setting:
This book takes place in modern day Australian, though that matters little. There are two major settings. A generic, modern, coastal town and the Time Ball tower prison on a small island just off shore.

Character:
Philippa: Our lead is a bland young woman of no particular character traits whatsoever.

Plot:
The worst criminals imaginable are given a c
DevilStateDan
Aug 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
A truly compelling and thoroughly original concept in this new Australian weird-horror. A town with an ominous Time Ball Tower which is used to house the worst of the worst criminals. Those criminals were faced with a choice; execution at the hands of the state, or eternal life within the walls of the tower where they slowly decay. The town also provides the "keepers" and a one year contract minding the tower and its prisoners will set a young person up financially for life. This is the story of ...more
Kevin L
May 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is the first time I’ve read Kaaron Warren and I am now a huge fan (and just picked up Grief Hole by her based on the quality of Tide of Stone).

This entire read was an immersive experience. Warren’s vision of an alternate Australia and Tempuston, with its Time Ball Tower is dark and cynical, although not without a few glimmers of light.

I don’t want to go into any details and ruin your time in the Time Ball Tower, but please do attend closely to the journal entries of the previous Keepers. Yo
Eugen Bacon
Jun 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Tide of Stone is a book pregnant with darkness, death and the undeath. It is gruesome in its murders, ruthless in its eternal punishments of the perpetrators—caged in a tower black with decay, the wind’s howl leaving them broken.

There is beauty in the writing, where tears are ‘opaque drops’ in the corners of a prisoner’s eyes, it is ‘like watching a memory of crying’.

If you do not know what constitutes horror, read Kaaron Warren—she makes Stephen King a lullaby. Her skilful pen so personifies
Dave Versace
Jul 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One of the most bizarre and unsettling novels I've read, Tide of Stone is like nothing else - weird, suffocating, hopeful and cruel all at the same time. And oddly delightful as well? The plot defies description, but suffice to say it's about the latest keeper of a tower where the immortal decaying remains of the worst people in recent history are kept in perpetual torment and boredom. Yeah, I loved it. ...more
L. Zedda-Sampson
Jul 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved this. The tension, reading those Time Ball Tower keepers' reports wondering what they were building up to and what the experiences of the keepers meant. Then finding out! The book was cleverly constructed and very creepy. ...more
Melissa Ferguson
Aug 05, 2018
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Reddening
  • The Boatman's Daughter
  • An Unwelcome Quest (Magic 2.0, #3)
  • Hasty for the Dark
  • How to Argue With a Racist: What Our Genes Do (and Don't) Say About Human Difference
  • The Book of Strange New Things
  • Full Throttle
  • The Starless Sea
  • Crazy Dead People (Shelby & Fugly Paranormal Thriller Book 1)
  • Under the Skin
  • Some Will Not Sleep: Selected Horrors
  • Gideon the Ninth (The Locked Tomb, #1)
  • Survivor Song
  • Painted Monsters & Other Strange Beasts
  • The Twisted Ones
  • The Smoky God, Or, a Voyage to the Inner World
  • The Only Good Indians
  • Crier's War (Crier's War, #1)
I wanted to be a writer from a very young age, and wrote my first proper short story at 14. I also wrote a novel that year, called “Skin Deep”‘, which I really need to type up.

I started sending stories out when I was about 23, and sold my first one, “White Bed”", in 1993. Since then I’ve sold about 70 short stories, two short story collections and three novels.

I’m an avid and broad reader but I al