Start by marking “Tide of Stone” as Want to Read:
Tide of Stone

Tide of Stone

The Time-Ball Tower of Tempuston houses the worst criminals in history. Given the option of the death penalty or eternal life, they chose eternal life. They have a long time to regret that choice.
Published May 14th 2018 by Omnium Gatherum (first published April 19th 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Tide of Stone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tide of Stone

Lilyn G. | Sci-Fi & Scary
Maybe it’s fitting, considering the subjects of this story, that it took me ages to finish Tide of Stone. It is a good book, but it is not action-packed or particularly exciting. Instead it is thought-provoking and quietly disturbing. For people looking for the later, it’s perfect. However, I tend to be the type of horror reader that goes for surface satisfaction and action, so it didn’t suit me well.

There were some things about Tide of Stone that I liked, though. Primarily that Kaaron Warren to
S.P.
May 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Tide of Stone follows a year in the career of Phillipa Muskett, who has been selected as the 2014 Keeper of the Time Ball Tower. The prestigious job comes with a list of duties, not least the upkeep of prisoners who live in the tower. Why, you might ask, would convicts be kept inside a building constructed to measure time? The question goes to the very heart of this strange and provocative novel by Kaaron Warren. The inescapable answer is: to remind those condemned to serve life sentences that t ...more
Nick Cato
May 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A sublime fever dream of ever-building dread. Will easily make many top ten lists for best of 2018. Full review 5/21/18 at thehorrorfictionreview.blogspot.vom.
Alan Baxter
Jun 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical, horror
I guarantee you’ll have never read anything quite like this before. Unique ideas and one of the most harrowing scenes I’ve ever read! ...more
Kyla Ward
“There's one thing out there... you'll need to look for it. You'll know it when you find it.”

“Don't let boredom eat away at you.”

“Be careful. Look after yourself. Think of the future. Don't be too curious. Don't think you need to explore everything. Don't go too far down.”

Phillipa Muskett, appointed as Keeper for 2014, receives all sorts of advice. She herself has been preparing her whole life, in various ways, for the year she will spend in the Time Ball Tower, tending to those imprisoned there
Adam
Sep 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: weird, ebook
I was very impressed by Warren's story The Human Moth and have been looking forward to her novels since I read it. Tide of Stone did not disappoint. It is one of those books clearly kindred to the "weird" genre but completely unrelated to its cosmic horror "mainstream." It most resembles Kafka I think, both in the character of its fantasy and the intimate anonymity of its narration. But is somehow more approachable, even casual, about its protagonist, a spin I enjoyed.

Overall, I thought it was
Dan
Oct 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very few books can be genuinely described as both original and unique, but Kaaron Warren’s Tide of Stone is exactly that. At turns haunting and grotesque, Warren threads the reader through a history of bizarre punishment as the novel winds up, like a clockwork alarm, towards the final, macabre sucker-punch. Warren promises and delivers her usual mastery of exquisite prose and brutal narrative in this exploration of humanity’s hunger for justice, whatever the cost. Highly recommended.
Melissa Ferguson
Lissaleo
Nov 04, 2018
Jessi Guggenheim
Nov 08, 2018
I wanted to be a writer from a very young age, and wrote my first proper short story at 14. I also wrote a novel that year, called “Skin Deep”‘, which I really need to type up.

I started sending stories out when I was about 23, and sold my first one, “White Bed”", in 1993. Since then I’ve sold about 70 short stories, two short story collections and three novels.

I’m an avid and broad reader but I al