Start by marking “Land of the Sons” as Want to Read:
Land of the Sons

Land of the Sons

(GIPI Opera Completa - Repubblica #1)

This is a dystopic coming-of-age graphic novel about two brothers trying to discover the secret of their father’s diary. Two pre-adolescent brothers scavenge a post-apocalyptic landscape for anything that might help each other and their father exist for one more day. Although their survival hangs in the balance, the boys are obsessed with only one thing―the diary their fat ...more
Published April 18th 2018 by Fantagraphics (first published 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Land of the Sons, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Land of the Sons

Start your review of Land of the Sons
David Schaafsma
This might indeed be a 5 star book, but it is, in the tradition of McCarthy's The Road, Lemire's Sweet Tooth an absolutely brutal dystopian graphic novel that features an ailing father and two surviving sons. The father keeps a journal, but the boys can't read. Survival is almost secondary for one boy to learning what is in this journal that reflects on their early life, their mother, and their father's true feelings for them (since he forbids words like love and caring, because they can only le ...more
Krista Regester
Bitter sweat and slightly graphic. ;)
Rod Brown
A mean and nasty post-apocalyptic tale about unlikeable people killing and dying. There's some stuff in here about a son trying to get to know his emotionally distant father, but not enough to make it interesting for me.

Read Cormac McCarthy's The Road for a better story of a father and son surviving after the fall of civilization.
Adarsh
Apr 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Short and poignant.
Graeme
Oct 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A stark, brutal portrayal of two young brothers growing up in a post apocalyptic land full of learned distrust, but not without some compassion.
André Habet
May 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sept-2019
A brutal dystopian comic in the vein of McCarthy’s The Road. I really was engrossed for most of it but the end feels like it rushes through a lot of plot following more interesting meditative scenes of these characters surviving in a poisoned land.
Václav
Oct 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Give a Gipi black pen and a thick blank diary on his way to the "toilet time" and he will bring you back a comics about the postapocalyptic harsh world and two quite different sons trying to survive it. Well, sometimes trying to get killed for their youth unnecessary boldness and stubbornness. The art is... well, crap. Looks as fast drawn as how fast you will read it. But, with heavy hearth, I can forgive that. Gipi wanted to tell the tale and he wanted to do it in comics way. And despite the ar ...more
Michelle
Jul 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love post-apocalyptic stories & this book did not disappoint. I especially liked the way the horror unfolds; the reader slowly learns about what kind of world the sons are living in. The future in Land of the Sons is chilling & the illustrations convey the bleakness perfectly. I was explaining the plot to my husband & he said that I read weird books...heck yes I do! I'll be looking for more from this author... ...more
Rick
Aug 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
I wasn't sure what to expect but this was quite good. The art was particularly well suited to the material.
Missy
Jan 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novel
YES! All my hopes and dreams for a post-apocalyptic graphic novel came true!
Seth T.
Jul 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
In some ways, Land Of The Sons is The Road in comics form. It's missing McCarthy's lovely bleak writing but has in its place Gipi's lovely bleak writing-with-pictures.

In some ways, this post-apocalyptic story is like all the other post-apocalyptic stories and we know what to expect. Societal collapse, anarchy by way of pocket monarchies, cannibalism, rape, strength as right-to-power, and the last gasps of religion. That's all here, as one would expect from the genre. But there's a little bit mor
Anna
Dec 12, 2018 rated it liked it
A typical gritty post-apocalyptic story, drawn in a sketchy/scribbly style similar to Quentin Blake illustrations, though I liked the subtle and very effective ways the author/artist brought across the big emotions in the 'unemotional' brother.
We don't learn why this apocalypse happened, but that's not important; the point is these two boys trying to survive in a dangerous world that to them is normal, but to civilized readers (and to older characters who remember Before) is jarring and terrible
Dakota Morgan
Oct 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
The plot description calls Land of the Sons a "dystopic coming-of-age graphic novel" and I really don't think there's a better way to describe it. Two sons in a wet, poisoned future almost devoid of humanity must fend for themselves after their cruel papa kicks the bucket. The boys meet all kinds of deviant characters - this dystopia leans fiercely into the "dys." You will not come out of Land of the Sons feeling excited for what's to come, but you'll certainly feel something. The story is amazi ...more
Louis Dore-Savard
Sep 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Only reason for 4* and not 5*: the duration of the experience. It's short. Otherwise I would say it is a very deep story with many layers to it. As much to discover in the untold and the unshown than on the actual pages. How this late post-apocalyptic world unfolds before us is mind blowing on many levels. Definitely worth checking this out at the library.
John
Dec 13, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
"On the causes and motives that led to the End we could write entire chapters in the history books. But after the end no books were written anymore. "

One of the bleakest post-apocalyptic stories I've read. I'm not entirely sure I got what was contained within the book (other than the idea each reader derived their own meaning from it) but it had a good message.
Bill
Feb 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
I'm not sure if this is fantasy or sci-fi since, as far as I recall, there's no explanation for the apocalyptic future. At any rate it was an interesting read and probably would reward additional readings (although I probably won't). (view spoiler) ...more
Brooks
Themes of knowledge and belief and isolation and trust.

I think I wanted this to be grander, but it stayed within its family story with only a brief nod to the broader context of the post-apocalyptic world. It did a great job of creating setting, the small sound-effect words and the line drawings made the silence really obvious, so that worked.
Matt
Jul 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommended by Jeff Lemire (I think)... the art looks like scribbled pencil at times but it really helps create a bleak mood. Minimal dialogue is used but the characters still get fleshed out and developed. I'll look for more from Gipi.
o
Damn. The art wasn’t my absolute favorite, but this is one heavy, post-apocalyptic piece of writing that leaves a lot of the reason behind the apocalypse obscured. However, I couldn’t help but form an emotional attachment to the two young protagonists, being brought up in a harsh, cruel world.
Evan
Jan 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
I'm a little tired its the post-apocalyptic setting, but this graphic novel is beautifully done.

It's also, really, more about family than it is about the post-apocalypse. Also, three cheers for probably the darkest portrayal of social media that I've seen yet.
Michele Boccamazzo
Dark, claustrophobic and powerful. It talks about an unspecific future but it is totally connected to today
Molly
Jun 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Between the illustrations and the story this one will haunt me for awhile. I like reading stories about those who survived. For fans of apocalyptic/dystopian fiction.
Ramon
Jul 26, 2018 rated it liked it
A brutal, sordid post-apocalypse tale. Gorgeous linework from Gipi. Pairs well with Mattotti/Kramsky's Garlandia.
G.
Aug 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Maybe the best post-apocalyptic story I have read. The visual story-telling is stunning.
Josh
Aug 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2018
Beautiful line work, sparse and effective dialogue, interesting post-Apocalyptic setting, and a simple but interesting journey towards the truth behind a father's diary.
Darcy Roar
Nov 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphics
Beautifully rendered and engrossing, but excessively harsh. Not to my tastes.
Dean Simons
Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow. Just wow.
Dawn Rutherford
The Road meets Mad Max, in a swamp. Well done, but hella depressing. Post-apocalypse sad survival stuff. Just enough hope for me to still like it, despite the brutality.
Lainy122
Feb 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
Wow was this messed up. Painful post-apocalyptic story, gut punch in the feels.

Not for the faint of heart - or stomach.

• Cinquemila chilometri al secondo
  • Arrugas
  • Cheese
  • La tête la première (Blast, #3)
  • Cinzia
  • Dimentica il mio nome
  • L'obsolescence programmée de nos sentiments
  • Three Shadows
  • Ces jours qui disparaissent
  • Brodeckov izvještaj
  • Non stancarti di andare
  • Dull Margaret
  • L'intervista
  • Come prima
  • Tout Seul
  • Pourvu que les bouddhistes se trompent (Blast, #4)
  • Portugal
  • L'apocalypse selon Saint Jacky (Blast, #2)
Born in Pisa, Gianni Pacinotti (Gipi) started out illustrating for the publishing and advertising fields. From 1992, he creates illustrated stories and comics, published in magazines like Cuore, Blue, Il Clandestino, Boxer, Il Manifesto and La Straniero. In 2000, he founded Santa Maria Video, a studio through which he creates video and animation shorts.

His graphic novel 'Appunti per une Storia di

GIPI Opera Completa - Repubblica (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • L'Ultimo Terrestre - FILM E CORTOMETRAGGI