Start by marking “Beyond the Northern Lights” as Want to Read:
Beyond the Northern Lights

Beyond the Northern Lights

Love knows no bounds

After being diagnosed with an incurable illness, there are only two things Ben still wants from life. To see the Northern Lights and then to die under the Northern Lights. Simple enough, right?

A beautiful winter story that will warm your heart and melt the snow, no matter how cold.
Published April 18th 2018

To ask other readers questions about Beyond the Northern Lights, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beyond the Northern Lights

Start your review of Beyond the Northern Lights
Shirley Revill
Jul 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: short-story, fiction
A short but interesting story that I really enjoyed reading.
Cristina
Jun 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
"Beyond the Northen Lights" é uma curta história sobre a vida, o amor e a aceitação.

Quando Ben desiste de continuar os tratamentos para uma doença incurável, o seu único desejo é voltar a ver as "Northen Lights". Então, decide mudar-se para a antiga casa de família onde poderá vê-las todas as noites até à sua última.

Contudo, Ben acaba por se sentir sozinho e sem grandes objetivos. Poderão as Northen Lights ajudá-lo? Quando Ben pensava que estava a perder o que restava da
Susie
Jul 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Susie by: Booksprout
*I received a free copy of this book via Booksprout and am voluntarily leaving a review.*

A boy meets girl story with a twist

The boy is a terminally-ill human; the girl is an alien light being. Both are alone and lonely, until they meet by chance under the Northern Lights.

This I found slow to get in to, with the first couple of chapters with Ben and Y’me talking to themselves not really pulling me in. I had to wait until the middle of the book before it actually became interesting,/>A
Alan T
Jul 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Ben & Ym'e

Ben has cancer and has gone to the north to die. Ym'e is the last of the Ythereann and meets him there.

Interesting fable.
Janet
Apr 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is just the most delightful short story I have read in a long while. Ben makes my heart hurt and Y'me is such a special creation. Beautifully written, with a lovely poetry to the words and story. Thoughtful, heartbreaking, uplifting, perfect.
TipseyBookReviews
Apr 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: novella, paranormal
This is a beautiful story about loneliness, death, and love. The ending is bittersweet, but happy for Y’me and Ben.

This is a short novella and was originally published in the Nip of Frost Anthology.
Rosemary
Aug 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of alien-human romances with a twist
Beyond the Northern Lights - a review by Rosemary Kenny

A beautiful, incredibly moving story by the talented multi-genre author Arizona Tape, Beyond the Northern Lights is a stand-alone novella (61 pages), telling the story of 26 year old Ben, a Swedish man, diagnosed with incurable cancer that gives him less than a year to live.
Rather than frantically trying to cram a lifetime's dreams and ambitions into that brief span, Ben decides to spare (himself), his parents and younger b
Michelle
May 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
A completely intriguing story! Not my typical genre but actually wished the story was longer because I was enjoying it so much.
Suzanne Hare
May 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a tale of a young man and his soul mate. It is about love, longing, sacrifice and acceptance. How can we understand that which is mysterious and foreign to our very being.
Tape weaves a beautiful tale about a young man, Ben, dying with cancer. He chose to remove himself from his home and seek out that which truly inspires him and fills him with awe, the northern lights. He doesn’t Truly understand the nature of the lights but as the story unfolds their true nature is revealed.
Arizo
Jamie Brydone-Jack
May 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, fantasy
Ben is dying from cancer. He is a young man and chooses to separate himself from his family in his final days. He retreats to his family's cabin in Sweden; he wants to see the Northern Lights as much as possible and die under them. He meets a light being who manifests as the lights. At first, he thinks it is his tumor talking, but he soon realizes it is much more.

This is a sweet, sad long short story or short novella. Ben takes in a little bird that isn't doing so well, and he reflec
ashley Miller
May 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was such a sweet story. I didn't know what to expect when reading it but it was a nice suprise. The story was very engaing and unique. Its about a man ben who wants to see the northern lights before he dies and ends up getting so much more. It was such a beautiful story about love and death. Ime is a light being who watched humans from up above slways wondering what it would be like to find love the way the humans she watched did and it wasn't until she met been did she get the chance to ex ...more
Sheryl Robert
Feb 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ben has cancer and went to the family cabin to die alone. He did not want his parents or younger brother see him waste away. He enjoys the Nothern lights and watches them,sometimes being oblivious to the cold. Turns out he hears a hello and it was Ym'e. she goes into his head until daybreak and they talk about a lot of things. They spend time together. Knowing each other is going to die, they spend as much time as they can.
It was a rather mythical story with some very valid points about Cancer
Michelle
May 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Beyond The Northern Lights is a beautiful story about twenty-six year old Ben who was diagnosed with an incurable illness and only given one year to live. This novella took me on an emotional rollercoaster and I had to break out the Kleenex for this one. Shed some tears, smiled, and even dreamed about the Aurora Borealis that night. I highly recommend everyone read this heartbreakingly beautiful story. I voluntarily reviewed a copy of this book.
Tina
May 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Arizona Tape Is one of my favorite authors. She really knows how to tell a great story. Don't miss out on this one!

Tanya
Sep 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
he has just two things he wants to do now he has been told he has an incurable disease. He wants to see the northern lights and did under them. Will he get his wishes? Follow his journey of discovery

Amber
Feb 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved it

This wasn't what I was expecting, but in a good way. It starts out with mind of sad, but ends happy.
Tera Comer
Feb 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
This was the cutest short story that deals with loneliness, death and love. It is hard to say much without giving spoilers, so I will say just give it a read you won't be disappointed.
Shruti
Apr 20, 2018 rated it did not like it
I received a digital copy for signing up to the mailing list. Thanks to the author.

I liked the creativity of the author to come up with such idea. Otherwise the book was just boring.
Deborah Boyer
Annie DiGiacomo
Sep 25, 2018
Skye MacKinnon
Apr 02, 2019

• Fifth Soul (The Renegade Dragons #1)
  • Strong For You (For You, #7)
  • The Little Ghost Who Didn't Like to Be Scary: A Picture Book
  • Rats: Tori (Rats: Tori, #1-3)
  • If the Shoe Fits (ME, #5)
  • Fangs For Nothing (The Vampire Detective, #1)
  • First Time's a Charm (Grimalkin Academy: Kittens, #1)
  • Violca's Vow (The Dragon Ruby, #2.5)
  • Hot Dog Girl
  • The Godsend
  • Secrets and Lies
  • The Plus One
  • Kasey & Ivy
Arizona Tape is quite a chaotic, young adult that shares her house with a cactus plant and has sleep dates with her bed. She makes up stories in her head all the time like a crazy person and occasionally writes them down too. But only if the mood is right.

In her spare time, she enjoys discovering new places with her friends, making all kinds of food as she waltzes through her kitchen l