Start by marking “White Rose” as Want to Read:
White Rose

White Rose

A gorgeous and timely novel based on the incredible story of Sophie Scholl, a young German college student who challenged the Nazi regime during World War II as part of The White Rose, a non-violent resistance group.

Disillusioned by the propaganda of Nazi Germany, Sophie Scholl, her brother, and his fellow soldiers formed the White Rose, a group that wrote and distributed
Published April 2nd 2019 by Versify

Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
This was pretty average for me. I thought that combining two things I don't read a lot of (historical fiction and books written in verse) would be a really exciting way to approach the story, but I ultimately just ended up feeling like I didn't get enough time in the story or with the characters to appreciate everything that happened.
Mackenzi
Aug 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Gorgeous. Blurb to come.
JenacideByBibliophile
Disclaimer: This book was sent to me by the publisher, Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, via Edelweiss+ for an honest review.

RESPONSE

Which is good
Because I have
Plenty
To say.

If you want to know what true beauty, conviction, bravery and strength looks like….read this book.
White Rose is the rebellion story that begs to be witnessed.

White Rose is the story of how a young German student, Sophie Scholl, became part of an an
Joshee Kun (조수아)
Apr 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
I once loved my country, but now the only thing that shames me is that I'm German.

I'm not a fan of poetry, but I enjoyed how this book depicted the life of a German girl who was brave enough to stand up to the diabolic Hitler. Usually, when people talk about the first or second World War, the Germans, in general, are the antagonists. After all, they murdered countless Jews in their infamous concentration camps. However, gleaning from the text, it's a sad truth that the mentioned latter dictator
Teresa
Sep 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
4.5

Thank you NetGalley, Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Children's Book Group, and Kip Wilson for the opportunity to read an early copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

What initially drew me to this book wasn't necessarily the description of the book itself, but the fact that it is written in poetic form. As an Ellen Hopkins fan, I love reading works written in a poetry style. The problem is, some authors nail the craft, and some are just not good. Great news: Kip Wilson's poetic form is
Samm | Sassenach the Book Wizard
Wow okay so this was my first book written in verse.

I was lucky enough to go to Berlin for school in 2012 where I got to visit the Sophie and Hans memorial. It's small but just important so I'd suggest going if you get the opportunity.

It's disappointing how few people know about what Sophie and the White Rose resistance did. It's disappointing that their deaths weren't a catalyst for change. It's disappointing our world is circling back to Nazi's being a thing because apparently, we learnt fuck
Allison C
Feb 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019-arcs
This is a really meaningful book told in verse. It does not have a happy ending, and although I was kind of sad (I usually like books with happy endings), I really couldn’t see the book going any other way for it to still be as meaningful and realistic. I liked how the story was told in verses and I found it more interesting. However, I found that the random changes in perspective were kind of confusing but they were readable. The changes between past and present were good from a storytelling vi ...more
Rachel Strolle
Sep 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
oof
Liza Wiemer
May 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
WHITE ROSE was phenomenal. The novel is inspired by the true story of Sophie Schnoll, a brave young woman who desperately wanted her fellow Germans during Hitler’s rule to recognize the madness consuming her beloved country. Beautifully written in free verse poetry, this fast-paced, courageous novel gives voice to the evil of fascism when the world turns a deaf ear. Have courage, my dear friends to like yourself for who you are and in a world so desperate for morality, hold on tight to integrity ...more
Natalia
Mar 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"May we all be as noble one day"
I honestly don't know where to begin. Reading this book was an experience. The fact that Kip Wilson chose verse to portray a story like this is still fascinating me. I was honestly skeptical but I felt more rushed, more on my toes, more sense of urgency reading the pages in this way. Urgent is what this book is so the choice was genius.

This book tells the story of a Nazi resistance group called White Rose, a group that was brave enough to mail leaflets and share w
Laura Gardner
May 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
“We have a duty to share the truth with the masses." How far are you willing to go to fulfill that duty? Sophie Scholl gave her life in the attempt to share the truth with people in Germany during World War II. Her story, beautifully written by Kip Wilson, is the subject of White Rose, a must-purchase novel in verse for middle school and high school libraries.

Sophie Scholl was a member of the White Rose, a secret resistance group in Nazi Germany that strove to organize against Hitler's regime. H
C.P. Cabaniss
*I received an ARC of this novel at Yallfest 2018.*

I have only read one or two novels written in verse and I don't think the style is for me. I don't tend to hold details in my head as much when reading this format. I got better at it as I read this one, because I started thinking about it in a different way, but it still didn't hit me as hard as something like this might have had it been written differently.

One thing that I liked a lot about this was the constant shift between The End and Befo
Lauren Stoolfire
I received an ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

White Rose by Kip Wilson is absolutely stunning novel in verse about the life of Sophie Scholl. Scholl was an anti-Nazi political activist and pamphleteer with the non-violent resistance group called the White Rose. The detail and research that has gone into presenting her story and the story of the group is amazing. It's also quite gut-wrenching to read considering that I already knew her fate before going into the story. While n
Jessica | Booked J
Mar 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Review also found here at Booked J. I was sent an ARC of this novel from the publisher in exchange for my honest review. This does not change my view in any shape or form.

It's Sunday, and I'm feeling like my only accomplishment this week was in reading White Rose. It's just completely taken over my thoughts in the best way imaginable and I'm a little bit of an emotional wreck over it. So much to say, so few ways to express it adequately. I guess all I can do is try.

Good literature presents its
Jenni Walsh
Mar 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow, this book. It's about a young (real life) German girl, Sophie Scholl who acted as a pampleteer in the White Rose resistance against Hitler, the Nazi party, the Third Reich. What a powerful premise. However, I had hesitations to read. Not because of that very alluring subject matter, but because the novel is written in verse and... that intimidated me
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
I wrote poetry in my adolescent days, but I don't believe i've written it, studied it, or read it since college. I was nervous the sto
Mandi
Even though it says based on a true story I must have missed that when I started this book. I really enjoyed reading something that I never heard about but have been reading historic fiction and nonfiction for years.
This book is written in verse and it's about the White Rose group made up of German University Students who distributes pamphlets that speak out against Hitler's regime. The students were made up of one woman and the rest men.
4🌟🌟🌟🌟
Vendea
Příběh o odbojovém hnutí White Rose z Německa během 2.sv. války psaný formou poezie. Na knihu jsem narazila pár dní dozadu, ale okamžitě mne zaujala a nezklamala. O hnutí jsem sice nikdy neslyšela, příběh mladé Sophie mne ale dostal. Kniha je založena na pravdivých událostech, což je o to smutnější. Pokud hledáte silný příběh z druhé světové psaný formou poezie, doporučuju.

4/5*
Selene
May 05, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars
Mary Ann
Portrait in courage of a young woman's resistance to the Nazi regime.
Alex (not a dude) Baugh
The people I tend to admire most are the ordinary citizens who find themselves in extraordinary circumstances and who act bravely in the face of danger. Which probably explains why I like resistance stories do much. One of those people who has always been high one my list is Sophie Scholl, the young German university student who stood up to the Nazis and paid with her life. So naturally, I was pretty excited when I read that a novel in verse about Sophie and the other members of the White Rose r ...more
Kavanand (Reading for Two)
Apr 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-releases
White Rose is an important and timely book. It tells the story of Sophie Scholl, a young German woman who was part of group called the White Rose that resisted the Nazi government during World War II. Sophie, her brother, and their friends were university students who wrote and distributed anonymous letters and pamphlets condemning the Nazi regime.

This is a really valuable book. As we get further away from World War II, it's important to keep the memories of what happened alive. In a regime wher
Courtney Pate
Apr 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thank you to Versify for a free copy of White Rose in exchange for an honest review. These thoughts and opinions are my own.

Oh man. Where do I even start. First, let's talk about this cover. It's beautiful. I love the solitary girl standing with her hand in the air. A sign of resistance and doing what's right, because really, that's what this book is all about.

Next, I loved that the novel was written in prose. I felt like it gave such depth to the story and just really punched it home.

This is
Katherine Wren
This wasn't an easy story to read. I knew the ending far ahead of looking at the book. Still, I admire Sophie and her friends and I wanted to read her story and remember.
Poetry is an interesting choice as a medium for Sophie's story. Sometimes the back and forth with the present and "the end" made things a bit difficult to understand, as well as the back and forth between Sophie and her pursuer. I think this could have benefited from just a bit more.
I felt deeply for Sophie's parents at the en
J.L. Slipak
Apr 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
MY THOUGHTS:

I received this book in exchange for my honest review.

Another Wow!

A powerful and profound story, written in verse, about a group of teens willing to raise their voices against the genocide against the Jews being committed by the Nazis and Hitler during WWII. The journey this group endured to stand firm against the war and Hitler’s regime is both heart-wrenching and intoxicating. More stories need to be written about this historical event to keep awareness brilliantly exposed in order
Katherine Wren
Apr 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
I felt deeply for Sophie's parents at the en
Jennieke Cohen
Nov 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Those of us who love historical fiction love it in no small part because of its ability to illuminate the past through the lens of the time it was written. Kip Wilson's powerful debut novel feels ridiculously relevant to our times, and she manages to do it all in verse! Her strong heroine comes of age in the midst of an evil regime and still stands up for her conscience and becomes part of the resistance. This real girl has something to teach all of us about not staying silent.
Shelley Neville
Apr 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you are not familiar with Sophie Scholl this book is an amazing introduction. Sophie was a young German at the beginning of Hitler's regime. With her brother Hans, she is very aware of the atrocities occurring and has a fierce desire to do something. The true story of Sophie is told in free verse based on letters and other documents researched by Kip Wilson. It is worth a read.
Jz the J.D.
Mar 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-arcs
I received an ARC of White Rose in a Goodreads giveaway.

This was a phenomenal book. Writing in verse, Kip Wilson tells us the story of a Sophie Scholl and a little known resistance group in World War II Germany. By far one of the most unique and engaging books that I have ever read.
Jess
Apr 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Heartbreakingly beautiful
my_life_full_of_stories
4.5*
This is so heartbreaking.

• Every Moment After
  • Dangerous Alliance
  • The Parisians
  • Almost Forever
  • Ask Again, Yes
  • Lovely War
  • The Beantown Girls
  • In the Name of the Children: An FBI Agent's Relentless Pursuit of the Nation's Worst Predators
  • The Apotheosis
  • The Tenth Girl
  • The Weight of Our Sky
  • Color Me In
  • Spectacle (Spectacle, #1)
  • Theorie of the Storm
  • Finding Katarina M.
  • The Age of Light
  • You Can Fly: The Tuskegee Airmen
  • Earth to Charlie
Kip Wilson is the author of White Rose, a YA novel-in-verse about anti-Nazi political activist Sophie Scholl. White Rose won the 2017 PEN New England Susan P. Bloom Children's Book Discovery Award and is a 2019 Winter/Spring Indies Introduce title. It's coming on April 2, 2019 with HMH’s Versify imprint. Kip holds a Ph.D. in German Literature, is the poetry editor at YARN (Young Adult Review Netwo ...more