Start by marking “The Unexpected Infatuation: A Short Story” as Want to Read:
The Unexpected Infatuation: A Short Story

The Unexpected Infatuation: A Short Story

4.13  ·  Rating details ·  16 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
An erotic M/M/F short from the author of the Bite Somebody series …

In Victorian England, middle-aged Thomas Warwick lives a dull, sheltered life with his wife until his uncle dies and leaves him everything—most notably, an astounding library. The young James Reynolds is hired to catalogue the immense collection while on Christmas leave from Cambridge.

It starts innocently
Kindle Edition
Published April 28th 2018 by Encompass Ink

To ask other readers questions about The Unexpected Infatuation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Unexpected Infatuation

Shymsal
Apr 24, 2018 rated it did not like it
My apologies to the author, who gave me a copy of this story in exchange for my honest review. Though she seems like a very nice person, this story had so many things wrong with it I just couldn't endure.

First, the language felt stilted not period which put me off from the get go. Then, Lord Warwick not only was a banker, he worked hard at it, and TOLD people about it without a trace of a qualm. For a nobleman to work was a shameful thing. You HAD men of business, you certainly weren't one. Als
Ashley
Apr 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bb-review
The Unexpected Infatuation is a short story set in Victorian England. Thomas Warwick has lost his spark for life and his wife knows it. When he inherits an amazing library from his uncle, his wife hires James Reynolds to catalog the collection. She’s away while Thomas spends his time watching James work in his library. There’s something magnetic and exciting about the how much James loves literature. It’s hard for Thomas to resist him. Especially, after he starts to flirt with Thomas.

An attract
J.L.
Apr 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: april-2018
Disclaimer: I consider the author a friend; however, I purchased this short story ebook for full price.

I wasn't sure about this short story at first. I'm not keen on the idea of anyone cheating in a relationship, nor do I particularly find the "gay for you" trope appealing. The writing of this story, however, is extremely elegant and evocative of the time period and the narrator himself, so I found myself swept along anyway.

Halfway through this story, there's a delightful plot twist and put my
Xanthe
Apr 24, 2018 rated it liked it
This is different to something I normally read.
A very(!) short read following Thomas as he sorts his uncle's estate and the library that could be worth thousands but needs an expert to rate all of the books. Thomas's wife brings in James and they spend a lot of time alone at the estate as they work through everything.
Things obviously happen quickly in such a short story and there is an interesting twist in there somewhere that actually made me say "oh!" out loud :-)
I'd love for this to be expand
Georgiana
Apr 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018, mm-read, reviewed
“Do you realize how much you watch me?”

We have Thomas and Katherine who are married and James who comes to catalogue Thomas's deceased uncle's library.. This super short story (under 15 pages) has some longing, sexiness, and passion. I found it touching and endearing how Thomas and Katherine treat one another at the end and how James seems to want more then just a one-off. I'm looking forward to reading more from this author.

I voluntarily and honestly reviewed this book without bias or persuas
Maria E.
Apr 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
An erotic story which takes place in Victorian England, involving more than two people. I thought the story was fine until it veered off in a direction that I wasn't expecting, and I don't particularly enjoy that genre but just because I'm not crazy about it doesn't mean that you won't like it. The story was well written, giving the ambiance of the era, although I found it a bit short. There was a theme of a library filled with very valuable books which could be more fully explored in a future s ...more
Anna Kaling
Apr 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
Beautifully well-written but I need more! I wanted to get to know the characters better and it ended too soon. Beware historical romance isn't really my thing, and I was missing the trademark Sara Dobie Bauer humour and snarky characters.

I think fans of Victorian-esque romance would love this for a quick, sweet read.
Ruth Evans
Apr 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is the first time I have read anything from this author but it definitely won't be the last. The characters are well developed and easy to read about.
I would love to read more about Thomas and James. The story is romantic and easy to fall for.
The book is well written and if you need an easy quick read this is the book for you. I will definitely be looking for this author again.
Tiffany Brown
Apr 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Is there anything more fun to read than respectable members of British society giving in to illicit infatuation? I think not. Sara Dobie Bauer’s latest story will have you falling in lust with her characters, just as they fall for each other. And the twist? Absolutely delicious!
tammy rufo
Apr 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
first off, way too short!!! omg i need more of this story. gah! i loved thomas! please write more. would def recommend.
Debi
Apr 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great imagery, I felt like I was in that library. And a fabulous surprise twist at the end. A quick, enjoyable read, with some sizzle. More James please.
Becky Exelby
Loved reading this book
Cheryl
May 14, 2018
Crystal Pickard
Apr 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Unexpected Infatuation is a quick, sexy read with a bookish ambiance and so much regency goodness!! Nothing too steamy. I highly recommend as a pallet cleanser after anything filled with drama.
Susan A
Oct 14, 2018
Maggie
added it
Apr 18, 2018
Sara Dobie Bauer is a bestselling author, model, and mental health / LGBTQ advocate with a creative writing degree from Ohio University. Twice nominated for the Pushcart Prize, she lives with her hottie husband and two precious pups in Northeast Ohio, although she’d really like to live in a Tim Burton film. She is author of The Escape Trilogy and Bite Somebody series, among others sexy things.

FOL