Start by marking “Hard to Kill (Cape Charade #0.5)” as Want to Read:
Hard to Kill (Cape Charade #0.5)

Hard to Kill

(Cape Charade #0.5)

When Captain Kellen Adams receives a job offer that sounds too good to be true, she finds herself balanced between fascination and fear. All she has to do is break a code and find a long-lost fortune…or die trying.

New York Times bestselling author Christina Dodd kicks off her Cape Charade suspense series with Hard to Kill, a short story of treasure, treachery…and murder.
Published August 1st 2018 by HQN Books

Start your review of Hard to Kill (Cape Charade #0.5)
Julie
Aug 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Hard to Kill by Christina Dodd is a 2018 HQN publication.

This novella is a prequel to ‘Dead Girl Running’ and gives readers a few more in depth details about Kellen Adams before she takes the job at Yearning Sands Resort.

In this story we learn why and how Kellen’s career military plans were thwarted and chronicles her next mission in which she searches for treasure hidden in German caves.

Code-breaking and art forgeries are always fascinating, but there are some very dangerous aspects in Kelle
Yvonne
Oct 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a good short story and gave a nice intro into the Cape Charade series. I haven't read the series yet, but when I saw this prequel I thought it was a good place to start. I was surprised to read that this was actually released after the first book. I did think it was a good story and I will definitely be continuing to read this series.
Mary
Aug 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Short but sweet

This book seemed more like the prologue to Dead Girl Running , showing insights to Kellen character but despite the brevity of the book it was a truly unique story.
Carolyn
Aug 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dodd-christina
It is curious that Christina Dodd published this "prequel" after "Dead Girl Running" the first book in the series. Regardless, it was a great short story about Kellen, the lead character.
Amelia
Aug 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this first look at the Cape Charade suspense series. I have read DEAD GIRL RUNNING and was looking forward to this prequel. It give additional information about Kellen Adams and the training she received in the Army and which helped shape her into the person she was becoming and to some extent her relationships with her former enlisted men. I thoroughly enjoyed this short story.
I bought the Nook version not the Kindle version but Kindle is the only version available.
Caryn
Aug 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I am surprised this book was not released before Dead Girl Running since it’s supposed to be a “prequel” to that book. But this is Christina Dodd and as much as I enjoyed Dead Girl Running, this was a story all its own. And I love it. It shows what we already knew, that Kellen Adams is a true hero and deserves all the good that comes to her. Doesn’t matter if this was released second, this book is worth the read.
Stevie Carroll
Previously reviewed on The Good, The Bad, and The Unread:

I really enjoyed the first Cape Charade book and was keen to see more of Kellen Adams, so I was very glad to receive this prequel short story to fill in a few gaps while I was waiting for the next novel. Set immediately after her discharge from the military, and before the start of her job at Cape Charade, this story follows Kellen’s recovery from her injuries and showcases some of the skills readers of the novel will have already observed
charmaine White
Aug 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow

As always Christina Dodd amazed me.I'm waiting for her next book.I always seem to finish reading her books too fast.
Christine
Mar 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
I have read books 1 and 2 in this series. I enjoyed this short story more than either of the books. It features Kellen Adams and takes place before book 1. "Hard to Kill" is a clever, fast-paced story with a great ending. I really liked it.
Jean Watkins
Feb 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Short but smart

This is the second book I have read by the author and I love the strength and heart of the leading female character.
Paula
Sep 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this prequel to Dead Girl Running. In Hard to Kill Kellen Adams is still in the military and we learn a little more about her and what is important to her. I really like that we continued to get the "data snapshots" of her thoughts on the characters as they are introduced. I think that is something unique that started in Dead Girl Running and I like that it continued here. I am very much looking forward to What Doesn't Kill Me.
Mike
Sep 18, 2020 rated it it was ok
I'm so glad that Ms. Dodd decided to introduce her series with this short story/novella (what's 62 pages?). Now I don't feel bad about skipping the rest of the series. If your story is implausible and muddled in a short story, what happens to it in a full-length novel?
Michele bookloverforever
Hard To Kill (Cape Charade)

Kellen before she went to the state of washington. Injured in Afghanistan, kellen helps a general decrypt a notebook leading to hidden WWII artwork. Short novel. There is of course double dealing and beyrayal, danger and heroics involved.
Crystal L Archer
Aug 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Interesting Story

Mysterious Kellen, a Captain in the army, is injured and up for medical discharge when she is drawn in to crack a code and solve a decades old mystery. Suspense and intrigue at every turn as the plot comes to an unexpected end.
Glenda Bettin
Aug 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good book
Elaine
Jul 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.5 Very good for a short story. I don't usually like novellas. But Dodd did an excellent job with only 61 pages!
Arlene
Aug 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Short and sweet. This was a bonus in the back of another book about Kellen Adams ... and I loved it.
Rinou
Sep 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Short story to introduce the character for the Cape Charade series. I'm frustrated as I thought it would explain more of her past, but the plot was good in spite of being very very short (40 pages)
Jana
Aug 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved it! Enjoy this series. Another great story by Christina Dodd.
Brandy
Apr 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Hated how short this was! Otherwise, absolutely wonderful!
Rachel Morrell
Mar 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a quick glimpse into the oncoming story of Kellen Adams. It was the perfect introduction to a very interesting heroine. Despite the mystery, I found it to be a fun story.
Suzanne Smart
Mar 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
The opening novella on which the series is based --- not really necessary, but gives you some background on the characters.
D Nichols
Good book but much too short. Glad there is more in the series.
MaryAnn (EmilyD1037)
This E-Book is a novella, book #0.5 of the Cape Charade series.
I started reading book 2 not knowing it was a series. The
three novellas added $10.00 to the series.

Since I had started bk. 2, I already knew a lot of
what the novella talked about, but was good to
get an explanation. At 61 pages, there wasn't much to it.
Ann Fleming
Feb 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Captain Kellen Adams is a lucky woman --- or is she?
The man who hired her to find a valuable painting hidden during WWII is planning to kill her once it is found - or is he?
The snobby Aide protects her - or does he?

Good story.
Could have used more character development but it is a novella and a prequel.
More to come in Dead Girl Running
Steven Allen
Feb 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great short story and more back story for the Cape Charade MC. Well worth the 45 minutes it took to read.
Cathrine
Feb 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent intro to the Cape Charade series

And the outstanding personality of Kellen Adams. Will leave you eager to read the next installment in this wonderful series.
Jenna
Feb 08, 2019 rated it it was ok
short, quick read. some suspense.
an intro into the Kellen character. but i'm not sure why this was published after the first book in the series.
it was a good short story.
there are 2 other short stories w/this character also available in digital format that are in b/w the regular books in this series.

I would like to say a BIG SHOUT OUT to PW Library systems for having this in their digital library catalog. Woo Hoo!
(hopefully, it'll carry the other 2 short stories)

Too many ebooks/novellas/short
Penelope
The novella “Hard to Kill” is book #1 in Christina Dodd’s newest series. The h is US Army Capt Kellen Adams who while serving in Kuwait as part of a transport convoy was ambushed & seriously injured. As she is awaits her medical discharge in Germany, her commanding officer, Gen. Slater pulls her into a non-official, private search for several priceless stolen paintings from WWII, clues to which have recently come to his attention. In “Hard to Kill,”we learn that due to an even older physical hea ...more
Kate Vale
Jan 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: war-story
A prequel that sets the stage for Kellen Adams to come out of a horrific accident in the Middle East. That accident takes the leg of one of her fellow soldiers, one who was known as the fastest runner in the group, and who looks forward becoming an Olympic runner and then a coach when he goes back to the world. But what about Kellen? She wants to stay in the Army, not possible after the accident when she has a head injury that means she won’t remember much, but what she does remember is how to b ...more
« previous 1 3 next »

• Untouchable (Cutler, Sutter & Salinas, #3)
  • The Vanishing (Fogg Lake #1)
  • The Ultimate Betrayal (Maximum Security #3)
  • Before Nightfall (Maximum Security #2.5)
  • Close Up (Burning Cove #4)
  • The Billionaire in Boots (Princes of Texas, #3)
  • After Sundown
  • The Deception (Maximum Security #2)
  • Tightrope (Burning Cove, #3)
  • Who Wants to Marry a Duke (Duke Dynasty #3)
  • Nothing to Fear (Final Hour #2)
  • The Conspiracy (Maximum Security #1)
  • The Devil in the Saddle (Princes of Texas, #2)
  • Wait Until Dark (Maximum Security #0.5)
  • The Charmer in Chaps (Princes of Texas, #1)
  • Pivot (Deep Ops, #2.5; The Brodies of Alaska, #.5)
  • The Kissing Game
  • Dark Water Rising
Enter the WRONG ALIBI contest now and win! https://www.goodreads.com/giveaway/en...
Upcoming in 2020:
—RIGHT MOTIVE, coming Nov. 1
—WRONG ALIBI, coming Dec. 29
In the Alaskan wilderness, the hunted can become the hunter. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/5...

New and now!
— STRANGERS SHE KNOWS: Cape Charade Full Length Suspense #3 https://www.goodreads.com/book/

Cape Charade (3 books)
  • Dead Girl Running (Cape Charade, #1)
  • What Doesn't Kill Her (Cape Charade, #2)
  • Strangers She Knows (Cape Charade, #3)

News & Interviews