Start by marking “The Hairy Hand” as Want to Read:
The Hairy Hand

The Hairy Hand

With great power at the end of your fingers comes great trouble.

Septimus feels out-of-place in his village, where everyone else his age is called Garp, Darg, Smerg or Blaarg. Good, honest names that sound like you have just swallowed something pointy or are sneezing into custard. Even his parents make him feel like a complete stranger (especially his parents).

Then he inhe
Hardcover
Published (first published February 10th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about The Hairy Hand, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hairy Hand

Start your review of The Hairy Hand
Dash fan
5☆ Action, Fantasy Adventure, Quirky Characters, Magic and Danger.... The Perfect Children's Adventure.

The Hairy Hand is an Action Packed, fun children's Fantasy adventure, Full of Quirky Endearing Characters, Magic, Danger, Humour, A Coming of Age / Self Discovery Story.
I Loved it!

Septimus is a young boy who doesn't really fit in.
When his Uncle passes away, he is told if he can make it to his Uncles house then he can inherit three things of his choosing.

So what follows next is an thrilling and
Sara
Apr 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

A quirky book for children, filled with magical action, an oddball main character called Septimus and a very hairy hand.

Septimus has never fitted in to the daily grinds of life in the small village of Nowhere. When his uncle dies, leaving (amongst other things) a magic hand that can root out treasure, Sept sees this as his chance to escape the dull life he lives in exchange for adventure. The plot itself is fast paced and fun, fil
Elaine
With a lead character called Septimus Plog you just have to know this is going to be a very different story - and you'll not be disappointed! Septimus - aka Sept - is very much the odd one out in his home village of Nowhere. When his uncle dies he travels to collect his inheritance. Now, once you realise his Uncle was a powerful magician, you know the fun's about to start! You really need to read it to discover just what fun, danger, dark magic and nasty spells he encounters and how he changes l ...more
Cassandra MADEUP BookBlog
I really enjoyed reading this, and would aim it towards Teens. Perhaps younger teens, but it was good fun even for myself to read!

The Characters and storyline are varied and kept me guessing, laughing my way through the book at the antics and mishaps throughout, with a few cleverly woven in messages for those reading it.

This was a great story, the plot line was cleverly crafted and flowed wonderfully, with a lot of wit and humour from the get go. I was never sure what to expect from the next ch
Jessica Bronder
Jan 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Septimus, Sept doesn’t fit in with the people of his little village. But then his magician of an uncle passes away and leaves Sept a Hairy Hand. This has the magical ability to find buried treasure. Of course his parents are excited since they are a family of thieves. But the letter that comes with the Hairy Hand promises to change his life which it does.

I loved this story. Although it is geared toward midgrade readers it easily appeals to all ages. Sept is a good kid, honest, and feels out of p
Lauren Tess'x
Jan 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Every now and then a book comes along and just sweeps you off your feet – quite literally.

I spent a valuable 3/4 hours glued to this book. I really enjoyed it.

Although aimed at 8-12 year olds as a scary adventure, as I’m sure it would be, given that age range but if you’re reading as an adult, it comes across as a humorous fantasy. Not quite Harry Potter but it explores an 11 year old ‘Plog’s’ journey to finding his destiny in the magical sense.

In following Septimus Plog’s journey after hearing
Lorraine
Jan 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this humorous and moderately gruesome read which, I think, will appeal to it’s target audience.

Septimus Plog, or Sept for short, doesn’t have the best upbringing and doesn’t fit in in his village. An unexpected inheritance from his uncle, a powerful magician, changes that.

Sept embarks on a journey, not only to find his late uncles home, but also to find himself and to stand up for what is right.

There’s an amazing cast of ghastly characters, including Sept’s parents, Plog the Sneaker an
Simon Leonard
Jan 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Being a big kid at heart I do enjoy reading nice easy children's books occasionally, especially if it involves Magic and weird things, such as Hairy hands, which point the way to treasures.

This is the first book I have read of Robin's but, after reading the teaser of his next book I am looking forward to getting my hands on that as well.

The book follows our young hero Septimus, or Sept to his friends, as he inherits the Hairy hand from the title of the book after his aunlce passes away. With the
Steph Warren
May 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
*I received a free ARC of this book, with thanks to NetGalley and Monster Books. The decision to review and my opinions are my own.*

I absolutely loved this book and will be treating Minishine to a copy when she’s a few years older!

Sept, our main character, is a good-hearted boy living a lonely life in an excessively cruel and mean-spirited village/family. Until the day he finds out that there really is a reason why he is different from those around him… special even. And he also meets a very unu
Billy Buttons
Apr 15, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was entered in The Wishing Shelf Book Awards. This is what our readers thought:
Title: The Hairy Hand

Writing Style: 7/10
Content: 7/10
Cover: 6/10
Of the 16 readers:
10 would read another book by this author.
9 thought the cover was good or excellent.
13 felt it was easy to follow.
11 would recommend this story to another reader to try.
Of all the readers, 6 felt the author’s strongest skill was ‘plotting a story’
Craig Arnush
I enjoyed the story for the most part. It's about an eleven-year-old kid Sept who lives in a the village of Nowhere, a wretched place filled with wretched people. His parents are the worst of the lot, behaving terribly to the town and each other, and treating Sept in horrible ways.

Then, one day, Sept is sent to retrieve a bequest from an uncle he'd never heard of. The journey Sept takes is interesting, if a little shortened in one of the directions, and when he manages to return, it turns out he
Lexi
Robin Bennett has actually created my dream comedy author combination – Roald Dahl and Terry Pratchett.

Welcome to “The Hairy Hand”. According to my astonishing memory recall, OK, according to Wikipedia, this was on the Chicken House long list in 2013.

And Septimus was previously called Octavius. It’s interesting that the name changed as I’m a huge fan of the Septimus Heap series (by Angie Sage) and did find the name a little confusing, and the two characters look annoyingly identical in my mind.

W
Shayney Hardcastle
Mar 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
I received this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest and unbiased review of the book.

How do you begin reviewing a book with the title The Hairy Hand? Sept, lives in Nowhere with his parents, to then be told that his uncle has died and he got to go to journey to his house, pay his respects and as a last request from his uncle, Sept also gets to select three items from his uncles house that he wants to have. A lot to take in, especially when you didn’t know you had an uncle. Ooh... Plus h
Pam Sartain
Nov 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a YA fantasy book, with a young boy of 11 called Septimus as our hero. He lives with his two horrible parents, who tell him one day that his Uncle has died (whom he has never heard of before), and has left him something which he needs to go and collect.

It's a long journey, and one he is to do on his own. That's the type of parents he has.

I found this book to be quite different. Instead of telling the story of his journey to his Uncle's and back again, it tells us about people.

I really li
Leanne
Mar 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thank you to NetGalley for giving me/my daughter the opportunity to read this book in exchange for an honest review. The review is written by Caitlin aged 10 1/2

I thought this was a very good book it makes you feel lots of different emotions. When the Wargs are coming you feel scared but also very engaged. When Septimus' parents are horrible you feel sympathy for Sept. I loved the bits from Gertrudes the best and when she gets angry you get really worried. It was a relief when Sept broke the cur
Lesley
Mar 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was sent a copy of The Hairy Hand by Robin Bennett to read and review by NetGalley.
This book is a cracking read for children (and adults like me!) with plenty of magic, scariness and laugh out loud funny bits! The story is full of moralistic values; loyalty, compassion, and the strength to be good while those around you are being their worst, all wrapped up in the engaging tale of protagonist Sept’s journey of discovering who he really is and what he’s meant to be. Definitely one to buy for th
Verity W
Aug 01, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Quirky and more than a bit mad, this is a story about a young boy, his horrid parents and the hairy hand he inherits from a warlock uncle. This reminded me of the grosser, meaner end of the Roald Dahl cannon if that makes sense, which has never been my favourite bit of Dahl, but if you (or your child!) likes that, then this may well be an excellent choice for them.

***Copy from NetGalley in return for an honest review****
Cynde
Apr 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Adorable imaginative story sort of a take off on Poe's The Monkey's paw but a more child friendly version. Septimus lives with his horrible parents , who are Sneakers - professional thieves. They treat him horrible. His great Uncle dies and leaves him something in his will. He travels to retrieve it. In the chest is a hairy hand with magical abilities. Hilarity and mayhem ensue.
it is a delightful read!!!
Pauline
Jun 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
I loved this book, eventually. Took a while to get into but stuck at it & grateful for it. Can't wait to read this to my children. ...more
Jun 11, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun and very strange, this story was really funny and very different from a lot of the books out at the moment for kids this age.
Amy TheOriginalBookishDragon
Mar 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
A fun, quirky book that is so different from anything I've seen done before with many funny moments. I would probably recommend it for those between the ages of 8-12 yet I think it could be enjoyed by someone of any age.

I received this title on NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Loris Owen
Dec 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
Bonkers! Original, and funny.
Jackie Marchant
Robin Bennett
Apr 04, 2019
Ness
Mar 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
I love a good children’s book, particularly anything with action or adventure and this promises both.

This novel is quite clearly the first in a series because a lot of this book is spent establishing the main character’s (Septimus Plog’s) background and why he behaves the way he does. In fact, the book seems to be saving up a lot of what is intended for character Sept for future books, which is why this first one doesn’t have as much magic or adventure as I bet the rest of the series will. It sp
Ruthy lavin
Mar 20, 2019

• Jay-Jay and his Island Adventure
  • Eternal Seas (The Relic Hunters, #1)
  • My Teacher Dad
  • The Arms of Death (Loch Lonach #1)
  • Percy - The Racehorse Who Didn't Like to Run
  • HomoAmerican - The Secret Society
  • The Last Surviving Dinosaur: The TyrantoCrankaTsuris
  • First Earth (Arch Mage #1)
  • Think Outside the Box
  • Roo, The Little Red Tuk Tuk
  • Tupelo Honey
  • Llywelyn
  • Bear into Redemption (Onoma #2)
  • The Last Honey Bee
  • I See London, I See France...
  • A Tiger's Tale
  • The Book of Silly Rhymes
  • It Is All Right Now (Inspired Child)
Robin Bennett is an author and entrepreneur who has written several books for children, sometimes under the nom de plume R.S Harding, and a few more on the swashbuckling world of business: How to Make a Good Living Running Your Own Business, Kicking the Property Ladder and Start up Smart, all published by Harriman House.

In 1997, Monster Books was founded as a way for Robin to sound moderately resp